Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Uh, our dogs get bones. Really high quality dog food and bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Feed your dog your neighbors that let guests park in front of your place. Or their smaller dogs.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

contrapants posted:

I'm pretty sure she once had a TV special years ago where she showed how to cook your dog.

You cannot imagine how disappointed I was that this wasn't actually what you wrote...

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I like weights because you can put the mixing bowl / sauce pan on the scale and just pour ingredients in one by one, hitting reset in between.

Also you can measure liquids by weight much easier than in a measuring jug, and scaling a recipe is easier by weight.

Don't get me started on loving tbsp of butter.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Weights are clearly superior except for Ingredients of liquid.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

sweat poteto posted:

Don't get me started on loving tbsp of butter.
In what universe is that not the easiest loving thing in the world to measure because it's literally marked on the wrapper?

I mean yeah I guess if you're scaling it up for battalion-scale portions or some poo poo weights are better. But it's not like there's a lot of ambiguity in a Tbsp of butter the way there is in e.g. a cup of flour.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Only american butter has tbsp units on the wrapper, so internet recipes with tbsp is a pain in the rear end for 95% of the world.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 15, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

Only american butter has tbsp units on the wrapper, so internet recipes with tbsp is a pain in the rear end for 95% of the world.

Nonsense. I'm in the UK and scooping a tbsp of butter is hardly difficult.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

:catstare:

vvv put ya glasses on gramps

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 15, 2015

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

Well, America has only had the leading edge technology of putting marks on a wrapper for about a century. Perhaps in a few more decades it will reach whatever sad heathenish lands haven't figured it out yet.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

sweat poteto posted:

or u could just use ... a tablespoon... of it?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

SubG posted:

Well, America has only had the leading edge technology of putting marks on a wrapper for about a century. Perhaps in a few more decades it will reach whatever sad heathenish lands haven't figured it out yet.

Actually if you look closely you will see that that wrapper incorporates updated metric food technolgy markings, instead of weird archaic ones like tablespoons. If you want to stick to the ancient customs you will have to measure it yourself, the old fashioned way.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

DekeThornton posted:

Actually if you look closely you will see that that wrapper incorporates updated metric food technolgy markings, instead of weird archaic ones like tablespoons. If you want to stick to the ancient customs you will have to measure it yourself, the old fashioned way.
Now add about 2.2 millistone of butter. If you don't have a scale handy, just cut off a cube about 1.3 millifurlongs on a side.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Now add about 2.2 millistone of butter. If you don't have a scale handy, just cut off a cube about 1.3 millifurlongs on a side.

Sloppy poo poo dude. I measure everything in hundredths of a grain with a gunpowder scale. Sure, it takes a little time, but so worth it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If you need a tablespoon of butter, just remember that it's about the same size as a small piece of cheese.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Most butters here don't have that; it's a clever feature which should have spread. I also think that the American term sidewalk makes more sense than pavement, and that the ground floor is the first floor.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

Most butters here don't have that; it's a clever feature which should have spread. I also think that the American term sidewalk makes more sense than pavement, and that the ground floor is the first floor.

I'm fine with either of those, but for some reason "at hospital" drives me nuts.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you need a tablespoon of butter, just remember that it's about the same size as a small piece of cheese.

or

u know

a loving tablespoon

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If a recipe calls for tbsp of butter just throw in 1/4 cup to be safe.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Paula Deen posted:

If a recipe calls for tbsp of butter just throw in a full stick to be safe.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

sweat poteto posted:

lol, are you loving kidding?

a. exact quantities of butter are rarely important
b. if you are so spergy you need to follow recipes exactly that originate from parts of the world different than where you live, loving learn the measurement system. I know roughly what 500mls and a litre of water look like.
c. a tablespoon is probably the easiest standard measure unit possible. it's like a large thumb or some poo poo. I use european butter in my kitchen, don't have any goddamn demarcations, and can't remember the last time I gave 14.786~mls of a gently caress.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 15, 2015

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
buy a tablespoon ffs

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You'd have to get a square tablespoon to measure butter though. Good luck finding a square tablespoon in Not America.

mindphlux posted:

c. a tablespoon is probably the easiest standard measure unit possible. it's like a large thumb or some poo poo. I use european butter in my kitchen, don't have any goddamn demarcations, and can't remember the last time I gave 14.786~mls of a gently caress.
My thumb is only two teaspoons :negative:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mindphlux posted:

c. a tablespoon is probably the easiest standard measure unit possible.

Have you heard of grams? :sweden:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Have you heard of grams? :sweden:
gram crackers? Those are easy to measure.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Yeah - never mind the table spoons, I am assuming they're about an ounce, and should I be wrong, then gently caress it.

Cups on the other hand are baffling, because they're not easy to eyeball.

The stupid thing is really measuring dry goods by volume rather than weight, and there I don't think the Americans are any different than everybody else.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
https://www.google.com/search?q=tablespoon&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=tablespoon&tbm=shop

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Wookums posted:

You'd have to get a square tablespoon to measure butter though. Good luck finding a square tablespoon in Not America.

Use a square shot glass like a cookie cutter. Half a UK shot glass is one tablespoon. Of course, if you're not in the UK, shot sizes vary by country, too.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
If you're baking correctly, the shot glasses should already be out, anyway. May as well make them multitask.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've never seen such a palaver about how to loving measure a tbsp of butter.
1. Get tablespoon measure
2. Fill with butter
3. Congratulate yourself on a good job.

Even as a child I'd bake and I don't remember ever having trouble with this.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
What kind of horrible baked goods do you make where the butter content is so paltry that it is is measured in tablespoons?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

I've never seen such a palaver about how to loving measure a tbsp of butter.
1. Get tablespoon measure
2. Fill with butter
3. Congratulate yourself on a good job.

Even as a child I'd bake and I don't remember ever having trouble with this.

I suppose we found a new addition for the GWS chat thread inane debate cycle. Everyone, please update your itineraries to include butter measurements this October between acceptable pizza toppings and if beans should be in chili.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

How much butter do you put in your pizza dough?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

How much butter do you put in your pizza dough?

None. I used up all my butter on the bearnaise sauce that goes on top of the finished pizza.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So do you add the bearnaise before or after the ranch dressing?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
We don't have ranch here in Sweden, but garlic kebab sauce could be added after the bearnaise, I guess.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You'd need to use the pizza as a kebab wrapper then.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
do you just not loving own tablespoons then or what i mean are they not a standard item in your kitchen gently caress

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I stuff the crust with Green Goddess when I make Funyun pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
this is you guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu9nhExp5KI