Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think it's a prelude to them changing the format a bit

They really need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

NowonSA posted:

Oh, and somehow make one of the players a mole. Like in that show The Mole. There, now I'm sure everyone will have something in this post they think is a terrible idea.
Aw, you shouldn't have. Your post was 100% terrible.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
SURPRISE! Genius season finale is up! http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/120791388643/the-genius-4-subbed

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
how does anybody subtitle that fast

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

That was a good episode, and season. Thank you The Genius.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
A strong finale and a good end to the All-Star season.

It was actually kind of crazy luck that Dongmin got 2 bonus items to Kyunghoon's 1 for both of the first two games. That meant that if it had gone to Game 3, Kyunghoon would've received 3 bonuses to 0, and that advantage would've been quite huge.

Both games were really good in my opinion, and required a solid amount of strategy and skill. The moment near the end where Dongmin had it in the bag, Kyunghoon refused to quit, then Dongmin's arrogance got the better of him and he PUT HIMSELF back in losing contention was nuts! What an insane upset that would've been.

Finally, episode confirms that Dongmin is the Greatest of All Time when it comes to The Genius. No question. His win percentage will never be topped. I can't see them asking him back for a 3rd season, but there's always Crime Scene S3!

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Pretty great finale though obviously a Tittygod comeback in game two would have been better. That said I like both those games and hope they both come back as deathmatches over some of the weak ones they have been using. I'm hoping that next season is a whole new cast.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

This was definitely my favorite season next to season 1. Kyunghoon winning it would have been the best possible outcome, but Dongmin deserved that win.

I agree though, new cast entirely for season 5 if they do another one.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Slightly disappointing, because it only went 2 games. Dongmin was just plain better at the first game and also had a slight advantage in items, Kyunghoon didn't have a good start at the second game and never fully recovered. Dongmin is definitely the best player, although it was somewhat unlike him to make that mistake at the end.... maybe he lost his concentration because he thought he had already won.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I do find it a little annoying that you can tell there are only going to be two games based on how much time is given to each one. By the time the first one was over, I could tell they weren't going to get to the third game and that Dongmin must win the second one.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
That was great Dongmin is incredible loving hell, just no weaknesses at all.

Generally I think I'd be pretty good at genius deathmatches but mystery sign what the gently caress. I didn't get a single one.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The Actual Genius. Well earned.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Both games were pretty well designed for this last episode. It really allowed them to show off their fast and creative thinking abilities.

Dongmin winning was actually kind of inspiring. His focus and dedication were incredible, and he showed some seriously creative thinking in that last numbers game. Even when Kyunghoon tried to muck the game up with a ridiculously large number, he didn't give up and found the solution in there.

His social game overall was also very impressive. It seems like everybody tried to be on his good side throughout the whole season, and even when people teamed up against him, he always found ways to influence that other team to help him out (maybe being the older oppa helped here). He kind of rubbed me the wrong way in some episodes when he was acting a bit bossy and dictating people what to do, but he eased up on that later in this season.

No joke, I kind of look up to him now, haha. Total Dongmination

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Dongmin is an honest to god actual Superhero. That backstory! That intelligence! That charisma! What a champion. He fully and overwhelmingly deserves victory. Kyunghoon winning would have been nice aesthetically, you know, four different Kings for four different seasons, true. But drat. Prep School Rich Kid vs Farmhand Jokester ended in the way I found most satisfying. Kudos, Genius. You make me feel strong emotions, unlike most television programs. And you're a game show. Remarkable.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
:worship: Long live King Emperor Dongmin :worship:
May your reign last forever. And may you only guest from now on (at least till season 10).
God bless :swoon:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Mystery Sign was a really good death match game, it was pretty funny when Kyunghoon dropped the billion-sized number. They came up with a lot of interesting mystery signs for the game. I'd like to see it come back as a main match but it might end up really boring if the two contestants suck at finding patterns.

I really enjoyed all the games that let the audience participate to figure things out (Hap Gyul, the Hold 'Em minigame) so hopefully they'll bring more of those in the future.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mystery Sign was really good, and I'm glad it wasn't just different equations but also different ways of putting those answers together.

Dongmin really is freakishly smart. He did so many insane things this season that went beyond just steamrolling the players. I still can't believe how he dominated the Yut Nori game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh man, Tittygod got a bit stomped :(

Fantastic season though, the games and contestants were about the best they've ever been. Especially these two final death matches, both much more involved than the usual. I'm looking forward to who they find for Season 5

Jiyoon Park or gtfo Korea

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I was a little bemused by Dongmin's final speech. "I did this for all comedians to show comedians are smart"? Hmm. Anyway, Dongmin really is freakishly smart, and I mean, he's good at everything. He's the most socially dominant player ever by far, but he's also excellent at straight math/pattern recognition like Mystery Expression (great game) or Gyul Hap, intuition and games with reading people, chess-like games, memory games... Everything. He was so dominant this season that I was actually rooting for him to put Tittygod's kingslaying to a stop, although a Tittygod win would have been fun too. He was good enough that I don't even want to see him on again. Kind of funny to think how close he was to losing Monorail last year

I don't think the main matches this season were all fantastic, but it was a great season. Rivaling season 1, probably better overall, but with less mind-blowing moments

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Can Of Worms posted:

Mystery Sign was a really good death match game, it was pretty funny when Kyunghoon dropped the billion-sized number. They came up with a lot of interesting mystery signs for the game. I'd like to see it come back as a main match but it might end up really boring if the two contestants suck at finding patterns.

I'm surprised for that round that Kyunghoon didn't choose different enormous numbers every time to completely kill the round. "The first 80 digits of Pi" and the like. If he'd had the fortitude to wait and use the secret the same round Dongmin used the double, he could have given himself a large advantage. Or just forced Dongmin to never use the double, which would let him secret on round 11.

In other news, on another forum someone who's definitely not me is running The Genius. It's currently on the round 2 deathmatch.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Istvun posted:

I'm surprised for that round that Kyunghoon didn't choose different enormous numbers every time to completely kill the round. "The first 80 digits of Pi" and the like. If he'd had the fortitude to wait and use the secret the same round Dongmin used the double, he could have given himself a large advantage. Or just forced Dongmin to never use the double, which would let him secret on round 11.

There was probably a part of him that thought he might figure out the pattern before Dongmin and just win the round himself. He was behind at that point, and was probably waffling between trashing the round completely, and trying to win it himself.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Blue Star Error posted:

That was great Dongmin is incredible loving hell, just no weaknesses at all.

Generally I think I'd be pretty good at genius deathmatches but mystery sign what the gently caress. I didn't get a single one.

I answered exactly one of them.

Unfortunately it was the "6" that Kyunghoon got wrong

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Istvun posted:

In other news, on another forum someone who's definitely not me is running The Genius. It's currently on the round 2 deathmatch.

Those players bitching about Food Chain don't deserve you

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So that ending was a teaser that season 5 is happening right?

Right?!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Since it's so similar, where is the best place to watch Liar Game?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I'm glad that the circle of friendship reappeared again. :)

Seriously though, great final. I'm not even mad that Kyunghoon even lost as both players did pretty well - it's just that Dongmin is absolutely too crazy! I'd honestly love for another season with TIttygod domination, but at this point it's best for a refresher format/new players.

This season was pretty magical in a lot of ways. I'd definitely have to rank it S4 > S1 > S3 ~ S2. S3 had better contestants and games, but S2 had so many good Sangmin moments in it that I can't help but like it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Max posted:

I do find it a little annoying that you can tell there are only going to be two games based on how much time is given to each one. By the time the first one was over, I could tell they weren't going to get to the third game and that Dongmin must win the second one.

I mean the alternative would be what, bloating up the upload with the end credits looped 20 times?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Nondevor posted:

This season was pretty magical in a lot of ways. I'd definitely have to rank it S4 > S1 > S3 ~ S2. S3 had better contestants and games, but S2 had so many good Sangmin moments in it that I can't help but like it.

I still have massive love for Jimmy Cha. I believe in him.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

MisterZimbu posted:

I answered exactly one of them.

Unfortunately it was the "6" that Kyunghoon got wrong

lol I did exactly the same :downs::hf::downs:

Power of Pecota posted:

I mean the alternative would be what, bloating up the upload with the end credits looped 20 times?

They could film and show all three games, and say the winner only gets 100% of the prize if they win all 3 matches, otherwise the loser gets 10% or something. At least then we'd get to see all 3 games they've prepared

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Koreans and their Maths are crazy! I just sat their dumbfounded.

Great season, wish this show was on every week until the end of time.

We might get a few more visitors to the thread. There was an episode talking about the The Genius on Rob Has a Podcast this week so we might get a few more Survivor fans coming over to check it out.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
This episode was really good for the finals and the main matches were interesting to watch.

It would've been a sweet victory for Kyunghoon, but Dongmin winning is totally fine with me. I was definitely rooting for Kyunghoon as well. Dongmin is definitely the complete Genius player due to his crazy abilities. It's even more amazing when you think back on how different Kyunghoon and Dongmin played throughout the season.

I hope the next Crime Scene season comes out soon. There's going to be a gap in the shows I watch now and there's nothing I have in mind that will fill in the void. :(

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Capsaicin posted:

Since it's so similar, where is the best place to watch Liar Game?

The J-Drama is awful. Dont bother. The K-Drama is better but I dont really like asian dramas to start with and couldnt get into it. The original manga is good until the steal a chair game ends, then you can stop reading. It gets lovely after that.

Theres a really good scene in the J-drama where they explain how they win the minority game though, it uses a chessboard in a really evocative way to explain the strategy

quote:

They could film and show all three games, and say the winner only gets 100% of the prize if they win all 3 matches, otherwise the loser gets 10% or something. At least then we'd get to see all 3 games they've prepared

They always put the shittiest game last. You didnt REALLY want to watch another black and white game, did you?

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 16, 2015

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I tried to watch the Korean drama but they made the main girl such a doofus that I couldn't take it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Corn Thongs posted:

I tried to watch the Korean drama but they made the main girl such a doofus that I couldn't take it.

Well thats her character, but in the original comic her personal growth arc is stretched out for soooooooooooooooo long that she doesnt become competent and make her own moves until like 160 chapters in. Theres no way youd see her grow in a 20something episode show since it would barely get through the first couple games

e: Theres also a really funny page where the villain is sitting down reading Mein Kamph and hes like "I have a lot of respect for Hitler, but he didnt actualize his dreams and gave up in the end"

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Anyone know what number jangi is based off of?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Subyng posted:

Anyone know what number jangi is based off of?

Stratego, but they threw a few wrenches in with the plus or minus battles. Stratego is straight up bigger number wins always

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Pretty sure it's a variant of Janggi that they made up for the show.

Edit: Or yeah ^^

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah God Emperor Dongmin was awesome with total Dongmination. I'm super glad he won, he was who I was rooting for. The math game was over the top awesome too, lots of inventive rounds that I never would have thought of. The highlights for me were Dongmin's little touches to win Number Janggi, Dongmin winning the round that Kyunghoon used his secret on, and Dongmin winning the round he tried to use two items on despite Kyunghoon trolling with the billion number.

A well deserved win, and I'm looking forward to more Genius and Crime Scene in the future!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BurningDance posted:

I hope the next Crime Scene season comes out soon. There's going to be a gap in the shows I watch now and there's nothing I have in mind that will fill in the void. :(

Would be pretty fun to see some of the Genius S4 players guest appear in Crime Scene!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
It was really interesting to see how the 2nd game rewarded creative thinking rather than rote arithmetic skills. I actually got out pen and paper and paused the show to figure out solutions but only solved 3 of them. I could see a test like this being part of a job interview

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 16, 2015