Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Entropy238 posted:

Anyone know when we'll be getting the next patch to fix all the issues introduced by 2.01?

Yeah, I'm wondering about this too. I'd love to play through it, but I made the mistake of rolling a barbarian for my first character. Since I don't know how deep the problems run, I don't really want to commit to a playthrough only to have it sour my perception of the game if there's worse problems later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

alcaras posted:

My understanding of difficulty means for single mobs like the Alpine or Adra Dragon, there's no difference between Easy, Normal, and Hard. Those difficulties just control number of mobs (though perhaps since the Alpine has adds, there are more of them). But the Dragon is the same across Easy, Normal, and Hard.

That's exactly right. I actually don`t like that change at all because of things like the Adra Dragon. I wish putting it on easy would stop it doing the insta-kill ability especially.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
While working I usually listen to video game soundtracks, I find they provide good background music that is usually designed for ambiance. I've stumbled upon the Neverwinter Nights, BG and IWD original soundtracks and now I really wished the PoE modding was better documented because I totally want to play PoE with those OSTs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wooo I was able to kill the dragon, I ended up making scrolls of Paralysis and Protection from Fear right off the bat, then I got the Paladin to tank it with the Sword that gives +10% accuracy when allies attack the same target and gave her the special Tower Shield. I gave my Ranger the Super Gun that you get from the bounties quest that give 10% to hit as well but unsure if those two things stack but I did it anyway. Then I had my Wizard use War Paint and ELdritch Aim in order to ensure hitting it with Paralysis. It was still a tough as hell fight but once the Paralysis went off and it's fortitude and other Stats dropped I laid on all the other debuffs that I could. I used Interdiction and Watchful Gaze as well.

That bow you get from the Alpine Dragon is pretty awesome.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 15, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing the issues with items like Stormcaller not counting kills is still ongoing, right? And they need to get the KILL with the weapon, not just participate, right?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Decided I should finally try to finish this game, as I never got that far back when it launched. How buggy is it since the expansion and should I wait for a patch before digging into it? I also tend to prefer front lines/melee classes for my main character and I'm torn between Cipher, Rogue, Paladin and Warrior. Any suggestions on which would work as a damage based front-liner with survivability?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

iGestalt posted:

Decided I should finally try to finish this game, as I never got that far back when it launched. How buggy is it since the expansion and should I wait for a patch before digging into it? I also tend to prefer front lines/melee classes for my main character and I'm torn between Cipher, Rogue, Paladin and Warrior. Any suggestions on which would work as a damage based front-liner with survivability?

I'd wait until the next patch is out before giving the game a go - the current one completely borked several features.

Melee cipher could be fun but is hard to do right without pre-knowledge of the game. Fighters and Paladins are pretty sturdy but you might find them a little bit boring - though the pally would be the more interesting of the two. A dual wield rogue won't have much survivability but will be the most fun by miles - there is a good npc tank in the game just as you hit the first town.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

iGestalt posted:

I just tried a new playthrough and it bugged out hard still in the starting sequence, I would wait for the next patch

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

iGestalt posted:

My paladin has been faring well on PotD. She's a pale elf shieldbearer, which means that her defenses are solid, and she can hand out deflection boosts on demand with Flames of Devotion and Lay on Hands. You could go for a more offense-oriented paladin, but I've been having good success with her as a frontline support role. With Zealous Focus, 15 or so perception, and Tall Grass she can also land a good amount of knockdowns on critical hits. She's definitely a pillar-of-support kind of character though, not an explosive damage dealer.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Thanks for the quick feedback! I'll hold off until they release a patch, then. Will spend the time doing more reading about classes, I think. Really appreciating all the information about them, though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
According to an obsidian post the patch should be ready for beta this week. Whether that means beta will be up this week or next is uncertain, but no later than that. Hopefully they'll actually use the beta this time.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Leinadi posted:

Galvino's is a boring slog unfortunately. The Battery is a waaaay better dungeon overall though it still has way too much combat for my taste.
Galvino's Workshop has succeeded Cliaban Rilag as my least favorite dungeon in the game. gently caress Unstable Constructs especially. Also, that place managed the rare feat of breaking my precious immersion when Galvino complained about being run out of town having to deal with inferior machinery and being unable to reproduce his successful "creation" of the Devil because of that. Dude gently caress you, you've got a whole underground lair here. Maybe try going for quality over quantity, idiot.

The mentally unstable Unstable Construct in the cage owns, though, but apart from that (and the Devil of Caroc of course), ugh.

As for the Battery:

:suicide:

Both the Workshop and the Battery have unique enemy types, which is cool and something the base game was missing, but in both cases they kind of had overstayed their welcome when I was halfway through the dungeon. I still like the expansion, don't get me wrong, but I ended up liking the side areas and quests more than the main plot because those dungeons really dragged on.

natlampe posted:

I've seen this talent mentioned a few times. Is it just another name for Apprentice's Sneak Attack or something else?
It is, yeah. At first I couldn't remember the exact names of the talents and just called them Baby Frenzy or whatever, and now I kind of do it out of habit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've only had problems with the druid lightning spell casting. Everything else appears to work fine (whether it does under the hood I can't tell).

If you want frontlines melee go Monk. Top base stats and buttons to push while in melee. Paladins and fighters are boring.

I hate the "close combat is passive auto attack" tradition. Garbage game design.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I like that because these games have enough to micromanage without my having to constantly choose actives on my melee DPS.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Wizard Styles posted:

Galvino's Workshop has succeeded Cliaban Rilag as my least favorite dungeon in the game. gently caress Unstable Constructs especially. Also, that place managed the rare feat of breaking my precious immersion when Galvino complained about being run out of town having to deal with inferior machinery and being unable to reproduce his successful "creation" of the Devil because of that. Dude gently caress you, you've got a whole underground lair here. Maybe try going for quality over quantity, idiot.

The mentally unstable Unstable Construct in the cage owns, though, but apart from that (and the Devil of Caroc of course), ugh.

As for the Battery:

:suicide:

Both the Workshop and the Battery have unique enemy types, which is cool and something the base game was missing, but in both cases they kind of had overstayed their welcome when I was halfway through the dungeon. I still like the expansion, don't get me wrong, but I ended up liking the side areas and quests more than the main plot because those dungeons really dragged on.

It is, yeah. At first I couldn't remember the exact names of the talents and just called them Baby Frenzy or whatever, and now I kind of do it out of habit.

I agree, I think the pacing is off for many of the combat areas in the White March. I love the increased difficulty and more unique encounters it's just that... there's too much of it. It's not particularly fun when it takes such a long time to make headway. Especially when you've learned how to do many encounters in one area and it's just... whittling down room after room, and it just takes a lot of time.
Stuff like the bounties and other unique encounters were hella fun I thought. Clearing out room after room of constructs or the Laguafeth (or whatever they were called) is not.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khizan posted:

I like that because these games have enough to micromanage without my having to constantly choose actives on my melee DPS.

If the wizards weren't so micro-intensive maybe you wouldn't mind.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
So I respeced my entire party to the recommended specs from here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416939844

Then, on Easy, I rolled into Cragholdt Bluffs with my level 13 party, enabled AI on everyone (fire and forget), and uh we did the first pull but then the second one sucks.

Perhaps the recommended specs aren't the best options for playing with AI?

- Any guides for how to best spec companions + main character for a smooth experience with AI?
- What AI options should I pick? (e.g. Aggressive? Defensive?)
- Do particular classes work better with AI?
- Should I be doing target selection for the AI? Sometimes it seems that characters don't engage another mob, even on Aggressive. They don't seem to focus fire either?
- Any other tips for a pure AI party?
- My ideal is to craft a fire-and-forget pure AI party that I can just tourist-mode through all of the game :p

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

sassassin posted:

If the wizards weren't so micro-intensive maybe you wouldn't mind.

As soon as you make wizard less micro-intensive you get enough salty gamer tears to fill an ocean so that's never going to happen.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

alcaras posted:

- Any other tips for a pure AI party?

Watch someone else play on youtube?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The AI is supposed to complement player controls, not replace it. If I were doing an AI only challenge I'd roll in with all auto attack classes and Paladins for lay on hands. The support AI on Paladins is quite decent, but don't pick Flames of Devotion if you do this since they will never use it.

I haven't had any problems with aggressive-aggressive melee AI settings in terms of resuming attacks. They definitely are not intelligent about which target they select.

sassassin posted:

If you want frontlines melee go Monk. Top base stats and buttons to push while in melee. Paladins and fighters are boring.

I hate the "close combat is passive auto attack" tradition. Garbage game design.
Some people like close combat so some classes are tailored for straight auto attack. There's a degree of interactiveness ranging from pure automatic (rogue) to moderate (barbarian, fighter) to very interactive (cipher, monk and paladin). Paladin action bar can be as long as monk's in fact, if not longer if you're going for the more auto attack centric monk build. You could go for a non-interactive Paladin build but that is mostly pumping saves.

Wish the fighter hookshot ability was more consistent. Maybe it got a stealth fix at some point along the way? I haven't bothered since like 1.05

[e] Oh yeah Wizard Melee loving owns the universe. That level 5 pike spell has been a ton of fun.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 15, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So I did the main White Forge Quest, the Siege of Crägholdt, the bounties and some quests I was given in Stalwart. I have yet to kill that bloody dragon. I'm assuming that's the meat of the expansion, and Part II will fill in the White Marches map?

rope kid posted:

Any time we introduce an intelligent creature that is generally hostile to kith by default, I ask the designers why those creatures haven't waged extensive war against kith races and destroyed them. Xaurips have somewhat limited intelligence and are small. Ogres are paranoid and extremely aggressive, even toward each other. Vithrack have very low reproduction rates. Dragons begin as wurms, having very limited intelligence. They are more intelligent by the time they become drakes, but most are not intelligent enough to avoid notice and are often hunted down by kith or fully grown dragons/their agents. It doesn't explain everything, but we do try to have somewhat plausible reasons for why Eora isn't OgreWorld.

I dunno how much under the hood lore you have, but I got the impression that the Vithrak were mostly benign, and that they were just used to kith attacking them because they look like monsters and use weird alien telepathy instead of good old speech. I hope they're not just another evil underground race!

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008
Has anyone else encountered a bug where changing the difficulty mid-game resets areas you've previously cleared? I ended up going back to Stalwart and re-fighting that initial Ogre invasion. When they fled a second time my quests were all the same status as before, but I was barred from traveling to Russetwood and Longwatch Falls and had to use console commands to get to those areas. I also noticed that items were duplicated at e.g. the outdoor merchant in Stalwart. Scripted events would also play a second time. Same thing seems to have happened in areas from the base game.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Wish the fighter hookshot ability was more consistent. Maybe it got a stealth fix at some point along the way? I haven't bothered since like 1.05
It's also kind of difficult to use, since you need a clear line of sight to really pull the enemy to the fighter.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
What are the auto-attack classes?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've found fighters and paladins pretty decent at not having to micro manage, everyone you have to watch like a hawk " What are you doing Durance why are you casting Avatar and engaging in Melee, Why ? Why would you do that?".'

The only way I was able to be Alpine was with all my armour people having protections against Cold Attacks and Fiery weapons . Also Eldritch aim and assistive +10% to hit weapons.

I just wish I knew if they stacked, I can't figure out how to tell.

Pellegirina whatever her name is equiped with He Carries Many Scars and Old Gerun's Wall along with the Shame and Glory all upgraded as best you can is loving amazing tank.

Has anyone figured out when Azzuro will show up ? He sells some amazing gear but I didn't purchase anything when he showed up and now he's gone :(.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 15, 2015

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

alcaras posted:

What are the auto-attack classes?

Rogue ranger warrior paladin barbarian though obviously all of them require some level of control

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think the ranger AI is pretty mediocre.

The rogue and fighter AI have been good for me. The Paladin support AI has been pretty decent too. I use double aggressive on my rogue and fighter and support/aggressive on my Paladin. Your Paladin will not use FoD on the Support mode though so don't bother picking it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Anyone know what the hell to do with this tattered map?

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
If I wanted to make a more striker leaning bleak walker paladin, how should I distribute the stats?

I made one, but I put dex and perception at 8 each, and after reading the tool tips more, I'm thinking that might have been a bad idea.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cyclomatic posted:

If I wanted to make a more striker leaning bleak walker paladin, how should I distribute the stats?

I made one, but I put dex and perception at 8 each, and after reading the tool tips more, I'm thinking that might have been a bad idea.

While also increasing damage high might will increase healing done as well. The Paladin's got lots of great healing abilities already and when coupled with the natural racial power of a moon godlike can compensate for slightly lower constitution.

For a "balanced" offensive leaning build I'd go for a moon godlike with:

18 might
12 con
10 dex
12 per
16 int
10 res

Weapon style is up to you. I'd maybe take a two hander for most fights then switch to sword and board when you need the extra deflection - take the sword and shield style talent because it's such a huge buff anyway whatever you choose. High might high int also means this paladin will be able to benefit from sacred immolation quite well too.

There's probably more niche ones out there that are better. Bear in mind I think the way recovery works at the moment means that heavy armour favours dual wielders as opposed to two handers.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Eddain posted:

At the first town in the White March, Stalwart, at the inn. Far right corner for the dagger throwing game, basement for dice.

Thanks for this. TWM hasn't dropped on the Mac App Store yet, so I assumed I'd missed something in the Dozens faction building in Copperlane. :)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wezlar posted:

Rogue ranger warrior paladin barbarian though obviously all of them require some level of control

You can build them all to be slightly more active or almost purely passive by choosing between more moves or more bonuses, but I would really like to be able to build a passive wizard who can just stand there slinging (elemental, interrupting, damage over time, draining) blasts and still be effective. Or a CC wizard that uses modals (like on-the-fly enchanting his weapon with different lashes).

I would also like an option for a fighter who needs babysitting to be as gamechanging as a wizard with a well-positioned spell or two can be. So you don't feel like you're playing only half a game if you play anything but a spellcaster (PoE is 100x better than BG at this tbf).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Haste+blights+every blast talent+dangerous implements is a legit build. I use it all the time.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cyclomatic posted:

Entropy238 posted:

While also increasing damage high might will increase healing done as well. The Paladin's got lots of great healing abilities already and when coupled with the natural racial power of a moon godlike can compensate for slightly lower constitution.

For a "balanced" offensive leaning build I'd go for a moon godlike with:

18 might
12 con
10 dex
12 per
16 int
10 res

Weapon style is up to you. I'd maybe take a two hander for most fights then switch to sword and board when you need the extra deflection - take the sword and shield style talent because it's such a huge buff anyway whatever you choose. High might high int also means this paladin will be able to benefit from sacred immolation quite well too.

There's probably more niche ones out there that are better. Bear in mind I think the way recovery works at the moment means that heavy armour favours dual wielders as opposed to two handers.

One thing to remember about Might is it and all other bonuses stack additively. In other words each point of Might gives you +3% of your weapon's base damage or +3% of the base healing value, so having a high starting Might is really not that necessary. For example, an Exceptional greatsword does 14 - 20 base damage, modified by +30% (enchant), +15% (2H weapon spec), +3% * Might bonus, etc. Once you start getting enchants and other damage bonuses, Might is not actually contributing that large a fraction of your damage. Also worth noting that crits are simply another additive modifier and do NOT factor in your Might. So a crit with my same example is 14 - 20 base damage +50% from crit, +30% from enchant, +3% * Might bonus, etc.

If you're going to use 2H much, I would either consider wearing lighter armor or moving some points into Dex. It's a bit counter-intuitive, but wearing heavy armor penalizes 2H and sword/shield harder than dual wielding. If you want to wear heavy armor and primarily use a 2H, I'd take a good amount of Dex otherwise you'll be slow as poo poo. The Paladin's main nuke (Flames of Devotion) attacks with BOTH weapons, so there's no penalty to dual wielding as a paladin.

I would suggest Soldier for weapon spec, gives you Greatswords and Pikes for 2H options and there are fantastic War Hammer options for dual wielding, including one purchasable early on that gives +1 enemy engaged so is really nice for when you need to tank. Dual wield most of the time, 2H isn't going to give you more damage on auto attack or on your Flames nukes and 2H attacks will be really slow unless you wear lighter armor and/or get some Dex. Get the forgemaster's gloves or whatever that allow you to summon Firebrand, that's a fun as gently caress tactic for when something is fire vulnerable and you just wanna demolish it. It's a summoned magical Greatsword that has huge base fire-type damage (way more than any other 2H), and since all your modifiers are additive and calculated from base damage... :getin:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I would suggest Adventurer instead of Soldier, since the Estoc is pretty good and you have the Pollaxe for the rest of the damage types you need

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

frajaq posted:

I would suggest Adventurer instead of Soldier, since the Estoc is pretty good and you have the Pollaxe for the rest of the damage types you need
And the longbow is a pretty versatile ranged weapon as well. Adventurer, Ruffian, and Soldier do seem to be the best weapon sets, though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I would suggest not taking a Weapon Focus at all.

Hollismason posted:

Anyone know what the hell to do with this tattered map?
Read it?
In case you haven't found it yet, the grimoire the cutscene tells you about is in the Durgan's Battery area (outside), near the merchant.

Rascyc posted:

Haste+blights+every blast talent+dangerous implements is a legit build. I use it all the time.
Yeah, I mostly use the weapon summons when I want to go for damage and they're all good. I like them especially since you don't really even need Might to get mileage out of them, so you can focus on Dex and Perception as secondary stats.
The defensive self-buffs the Wizard gets are also mostly good and last a long time, so they can cover tanking as well.
And if that's still too much micro-management, Chanters exist.

I would like to have a more involved non-caster class, though.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 16, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What are some suggestions for Devil of Caroc good builds and weapons, I was previously playing with the Cypher but wanted to try it out. Doesn't really seem that great.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Wizard Styles posted:

I would suggest not taking a Weapon Focus at all.

Read it?
In case you haven't found it yet, the grimoire the cutscene tells you about is in the Durgan's Battery area (outside), near the merchant.

Yeah, I mostly use the weapon summons when I want to go for damage and they're all good. I like them especially since you don't really even need Might to get mileage out of them, so you can focus on Dex and Perception as secondary stats.
The defensive self-buffs the Wizard gets are also mostly good and last a long time, so they can cover tanking as well.
And if that's still too much micro-management, Chanters exist.

I would like to have a more involved non-caster class, though.
I still haven't braved wizard tanking cause it seems like having to cast your def spells every fight would get really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What spells would you even do with that for a Spell Sword? You could get those reduce Resolution time and high Dexterity, Int. I could see it working really well with Alacrity or whatever it's called.

• Locked thread