Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Mostly because even I think my vote was weak and the reasoning is sketchy. It was a good jumping in point for me because I hadn't posted except a confirmation post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c: Day 1 Votecount :c:

Grandicap (2): PoP, Kashuno
a worthy uhh/Me in Reverse (2): Asiina, SSV

SirSamVimes (1): TMM, MiR, Kashuno, -TMM, -Kashuno
TMMadman (1): SSV, -SSV, PMom
merk (1): Ninth
BottleKnight (1): TMM
Pinterest Mom (1): Grandi
Kashuno (1): LJ

:h: 13 alive, 7 to execute.
:d: Day 1 deadline: Thursday, September 17th, ~11PM EDT. That's in about a day and a half from this post!

:siren: Remember to #unvote!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is it. this is the awkward scum post i've been waiting for.

##vote tmm

Yeah, no.

I thought you were going for some sort of interaction to learn more last night but if that's really your whole thing, nah.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BottleKnight posted:

Yeah, no.

I thought you were going for some sort of interaction to learn more last night but if that's really your whole thing, nah.

He couldn't have been trying for interaction because when I responded his only reply is to say that mafia is easy and he doesn't even try to engage me.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

Yeah, no.

"Nah" scum or "nah" wrong?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Grandicap posted:

Mostly because even I think my vote was weak and the reasoning is sketchy. It was a good jumping in point for me because I hadn't posted except a confirmation post.

:siren:This is a scumpost:siren:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It just might be!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

"Nah" scum or "nah" wrong?

Nah wrong. Don't see it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

Nah wrong. Don't see it.

TMM responded in a v. prickly way, and called me scum in a roundabout way without voting (or actually explicitly doing it!). I don't feel bad about my vote.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

TMM responded in a v. prickly way, and called me scum in a roundabout way without voting (or actually explicitly doing it!). I don't feel bad about my vote.

I took 'twists it to their needs' as 'tunneling' instead of 'because they are trying to control the narrative as scum.'

Not that it's a good argument either way, but him saying you're wrong doesn't make him scum.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

Except I did no such thing, so you are seeing what you want to see. My first reply was:

TMMadman posted:

It's not the first time you've been wrong and doubtlessly not the last time either.

There's no implication of an alignment call, I'm simply saying that you're wrong. Wrong doesn't mean scum.

My second reply was:

TMMadman posted:

It's always amusing when someone takes a completely honest statement and twists it to suit their needs.

Again, there is no implication of alignment. You may be town or you may be scum, but either way you're taking a completely honest statement and twisting it to suit your needs. Town twist honest statements just as often as scum.

However, right now I'm bothered that you seem so concerned that people don't see you as scum. First you ask LJ to ignore meta and make another read on you which just feels off to me. Then you make sure that BK thinks your wrong and not scum.

You're not asking them to clarify positions, you're strictly concerned with yourself.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

💩

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Kashuno posted:

:siren:This is a scumpost:siren:

Nope it wasn't.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Except I did no such thing, so you are seeing what you want to see. My first reply was:

There's no implication of an alignment call, I'm simply saying that you're wrong. Wrong doesn't mean scum.

My second reply was:

Again, there is no implication of alignment. You may be town or you may be scum, but either way you're taking a completely honest statement and twisting it to suit your needs. Town twist honest statements just as often as scum.

this is unadulterated bullshit. town doesn't have a post-twisting agenda. you're backing away from your initial statement.

quote:

However, right now I'm bothered that you seem so concerned that people don't see you as scum. First you ask LJ to ignore meta and make another read on you which just feels off to me. Then you make sure that BK thinks your wrong and not scum.

You're not asking them to clarify positions, you're strictly concerned with yourself.
this is also bs. my post on lj was absolutely 100% not concerned with myself.

lj commented on grandi's vote on me with this:

ljtrigirl posted:

That's one of the many things that bothered me about PMlast game, so I don't think I like this vote.

This is a very slippery statement! Does lj not "like" the vote because she thinks it's wrong, or because she thinks it's scummy? Why does she invoke meta - is grandi supposed to have the same sense of my meta that lj does? I'm asking lj re:grandi, not lj re:me~

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

TMMadman posted:

Since the complete honesty part of that isn't a given so your first response quoted there doesn't really say anything beyond what everyone's implied to be saying (I'm town, if someone thinks I'm not then they're wrong) if there's not an alignment call element in there.

When someone uses "twist" there's an implied dishonesty to how something's being framed - if you meant that at the time, why stay neutral over PM's alignment? It reads like you want to vote him as soon as he votes you and you're trying to justify it more with each post since then while leaving a jokey vote on BottleKnight.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is unadulterated bullshit. town doesn't have a post-twisting agenda. you're backing away from your initial statement.

this is also bs. my post on lj was absolutely 100% not concerned with myself.

lj commented on grandi's vote on me with this:

This is a very slippery statement! Does lj not "like" the vote because she thinks it's wrong, or because she thinks it's scummy? Why does she invoke meta - is grandi supposed to have the same sense of my meta that lj does? I'm asking lj re:grandi, not lj re:me~

Commenting on the first part. That is so wrong. Part of making cases is making them voteable. Twisting a statement to fit an agenda is something both town and scum do. The goal of casing is always to get someone lynched. To not do so is to make a crappy case.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
itt; reading comprehension 101.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This feels like every other game I've played with Madman where he can't separate what he knows from what others know regarding his alignment, so he seems town to me.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Grandicap posted:

Commenting on the first part. That is so wrong. Part of making cases is making them voteable. Twisting a statement to fit an agenda is something both town and scum do. The goal of casing is always to get someone lynched. To not do so is to make a crappy case.

Well it depends on what's setting that agenda. If it's like D4 and you're town trying to draw connections with flipped scum, yeah you have to twist things to fit the "x and y are scum together" narrative to see what the best match is in that situation. That's not relevant here because PM was voting based off of a single data point in jokephase. Why would you need to twist anything as town there?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm town. Let's all agree on that.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Grandicap posted:

Nope it wasn't.

:siren:this is another low content scumpost:siren:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

itt; reading comprehension 101.

Kashuno posted:

:siren:this is another low content scumpost:siren:

I don't like Kashuno for calling out someone when he's provided nothing of substance of his own. Also Grandi made other posts commenting on Madman and PMom, which Kashuno hasn't done, but he ignores those entirely.

##unvote
##vote Kashuno

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Power of Pecota posted:

Well it depends on what's setting that agenda. If it's like D4 and you're town trying to draw connections with flipped scum, yeah you have to twist things to fit the "x and y are scum together" narrative to see what the best match is in that situation. That's not relevant here because PM was voting based off of a single data point in jokephase. Why would you need to twist anything as town there?

So you've never made a bad faith argument on D1/D2 against someone you think is town in order to try and catch scum jumping on that bad case?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't think pmom went in very hard. I am having a hard time getting a read on TMM, but he's not pinging me as especially scummy. Like Asiina said, TMM usually doesn't do well separating his knowledge from the knowledge other players have

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Grandi made a horrible case, then backtracked on it when people started calling him out and basically said "yeah I did make a bad case heheh." It's lovely and his posting around it hasn't been good.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

TMMadman posted:

So you've never made a bad faith argument on D1/D2 against someone you think is town in order to try and catch scum jumping on that bad case?

No, I don't make bad faith cases as town.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Power of Pecota posted:

No, I don't make bad faith cases as town.

So you've never seen it done either?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

TMMadman posted:

So you've never seen it done either?

I have, but not very often. I think Pmom's made it pretty clear that's not the case here so I'm not seeing why it's relevant.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Wait. So you actually think PMom set this whole thing up to be a trap sprung? And you're using that as a defense?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

TMMadman posted:

This is terrible reasoning in a response in defense of a third player. I don't like it one bit.

##unvote

##vote TMM

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BottleKnight posted:

Wait. So you actually think PMom set this whole thing up to be a trap sprung? And you're using that as a defense?

No I'm just pointing out that PMom and PoP are holding an intellectually dishonest position by saying that town never has a reason to twist a statement to their needs.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

a worthy uhh posted:

This is terrible reasoning in a response in defense of a third player. I don't like it one bit.

##unvote

##vote TMM

This vote may actually fall under Madman's Law.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Madman's Law

:shepface:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

to be fair, I coined the term.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

to be fair, I coined the term.

well let's get all circlejerky about it!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Someday it's going to get put to the test in a game and I will be ecstatic when it hits scum.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
it's d1 do it now and then we can all lynch you out of spite tomorrow.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

it's d1 do it now and then we can all lynch you out of spite tomorrow.

Is this a slip? How do you know uhh isn't scum?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

What's Madman's law?

TMMadman posted:

No I'm just pointing out that PMom and PoP are holding an intellectually dishonest position by saying that town never has a reason to twist a statement to their needs.

You forgot the "in jokephase on D1" part. Earnestness is like the #1 thing that town has going for them in mafia, just because people have done early gambits before with fake cases or n0 claims or something doesn't mean you should assume it going in.

Even if you thought that was what PMom was doing in this game, what's the purpose of arguing with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

TMMadman posted:

This vote may actually fall under Madman's Law.

What

• Locked thread