Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

TMMadman posted:

Is this a slip? How do you know uhh isn't scum?

This is arguably actually a good catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Is this a slip? How do you know uhh isn't scum?

No because when I'm scum I don't make slips like that.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Madman's Law is kind of a joke and kind of the truth. The premise is that at some point I, Madman, will start an argument (good or bad doesn't matter) and the second person to vote for me is scum.

It's never been tested in a game, but it's record is almost perfect. It's now become something of a joke and that amuses me

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

TMMadman posted:

Madman's Law is kind of a joke and kind of the truth. The premise is that at some point I, Madman, will start an argument (good or bad doesn't matter) and the second person to vote for me is scum.

It's never been tested in a game, but it's record is almost perfect. It's now become something of a joke and that amuses me

This is beyond stupid, in a real life non-game sense, statistically and logically.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Grandi made a horrible case, then backtracked on it when people started calling him out and basically said "yeah I did make a bad case heheh." It's lovely and his posting around it hasn't been good.

Wait a second. Calling what I did a case is laughable. I made a horrible vote possibly. Let's take a look at what you are calling a case for a moment:

Grandicap posted:

Too hardcore on it PM.
##unvote
##vote Pinterest Mom

So, you are twisting and misrepresenting what happened here. And doing so malevolently.

##unvote
##vote Kashuno

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Well it depends on what's setting that agenda. If it's like D4 and you're town trying to draw connections with flipped scum, yeah you have to twist things to fit the "x and y are scum together" narrative to see what the best match is in that situation. That's not relevant here because PM was voting based off of a single data point in jokephase. Why would you need to twist anything as town there?

If you are doing a classic 3 point case on why someone is scum, you don't quote the post that makes them look town if you think there is a preponderance of evidence that they are scum. It is torpedoing your own case and a bad idea. It is the same reason to not seem hedgey, even if you aren't 100% sure of a thing, if you want to lead a lynch on someone you beleive is scum, you have to ramp up the rhetoric to get people to follow you. It is an emotional game and people are more willing to follow those who are more sure of themselves.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Grandicap posted:

Wait a second. Calling what I did a case is laughable. I made a horrible vote possibly. Let's take a look at what you are calling a case for a moment:

So, you are twisting and misrepresenting what happened here. And doing so malevolently.

##unvote
##vote Kashuno

1 line case is still a case.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Kashuno posted:

1 line case is still a case.

:psyduck:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I sincerely hope if this vote that seems to be building on me goes through you get lynched tomorrow for being such obvious scum.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Grandicap posted:

##unvote
##vote Kashuno

How is this post not just semantics followed by an accusation of the same twisting you said town often does earlier?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kashuno posted:

:siren:this is another low content scumpost:siren:

:siren: sup :siren:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

BottleKnight posted:

How is this post not just semantics followed by an accusation of the same twisting you said town often does earlier?

The "and doing so malevolently part."

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

How is this confusing to you? He's right.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I can definitely see Grandi scum. Would vote.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The amount of self-conscious poo poo grandi is spewing is so scum it hurts. Your vote on me is atrocious. "Doing it malevolently." because it's being turned on you?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Grandicap posted:

The "and doing so malevolently part."

I would like you to explain the difference between a normal twisting of posts to make a case and a malevolent twisting of posts to make a case. Is it fake? How is it scummy?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

merk posted:

I'm town. Let's all agree on that.

Hey merk guess what, I'm town too! Let's tag team some scum this game. :page3:

##unvote

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

BottleKnight posted:

I can definitely see Grandi scum. Would vote.

This is a scumpost.

Pretend I used sirens.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

merk posted:

How is this confusing to you? He's right.

No he isn't. A case should be designed not to justify your vote, but to get others to vote with you. What I posted was not a case, it was an opinion piece and a weak one.
I don't have a problem with people voting me for the weak vote. I get it. I do have a problem with misrepresenting what it was.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Grandicap posted:

No he isn't. A case should be designed not to justify your vote, but to get others to vote with you. What I posted was not a case, it was an opinion piece and a weak one.
I don't have a problem with people voting me for the weak vote. I get it. I do have a problem with misrepresenting what it was.

I still think this is entirely semantics though.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

BottleKnight posted:

I would like you to explain the difference between a normal twisting of posts to make a case and a malevolent twisting of posts to make a case. Is it fake? How is it scummy?

This is going well outside of what this game is but yes.

The big thing I do is look for motivations in posts. Why someone makes that post, would it benefit a scum to make the post. This has way less of an impact on d1 stuff because people are just throwing poo poo up fast and loose because there are very few, if any, interactions to build on. But getting inside of a poster's head and seeing where they are coming from is what I used to do when I was "good" at mafia.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Grandicap posted:

you're arguing semantics as part of your case on me. That's horrible.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Kashuno posted:

you're arguing semantics as part of your case on me. That's horrible.

Maybe it is semantics, but it is about what the goal of your post was.

By calling my post a case, you are giving it more weight than it should have. It may be semantics, but words have meanings.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Grandicap posted:

##unvote
##vote Kashuno

This post makes you look worse, because your defense is "hahaha, you gave me too much credit for what was actually a lovely vote!!"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

##vote playername
Is a vote

quote:

ur dum
##vote playername
Is a case.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Grandicap posted:

Maybe it is semantics, but it is about what the goal of your post was.

By calling my post a case, you are giving it more weight than it should have. It may be semantics, but words have meanings.

A vote + reason for voting = a case.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kashuno posted:

Is a vote

Is a case.

Ur dum

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

and for completion sake, the above is an opinion, not a vote or a case.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I disagree. But I also think I've made my point about it. Maybe I apply more weight to the word than others and am ok with that. I also realize by defending it, it is making me seem scummier so I am going to drop it and move on. Also acknowledging this is making me seem scummier so whatever.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cool so why does your vote still sit on me?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Cool so why does your vote still sit on me?

It doesn't change how I feel about how you handled it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

a worthy uhh posted:

This is arguably actually a good catch.

Statistically, said person is likely to be town. Dunno if assuming that they'd flip town is a slip.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

SirSamVimes posted:

Statistically, said person is likely to be town. Dunno if assuming that they'd flip town is a slip.

I am aware of the majority/minority dynamics. The issue was his leap to acting on my town flip as an inevitability; his thought went straight to what to do Day 2 after I've flipped town. This implies knowledge he shouldn't have.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Stating what I would do as a result of a likely outcome doesn't imply outside knowledge at all, it's weird to assume that.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kashuno posted:

Stating what I would do as a result of a likely outcome doesn't imply outside knowledge at all, it's weird to assume that.

Lynch [me] now so we can lynch [TMM] tomorrow out of spite [after I flip town]

That's not "what I would do..." as you described it above, and calling thinking that weird feels overly defensive/OMGUSy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Except if it was overly defensive or an omgus scenario I probably wouldn't keep my vote on the guy I'm pretty positive is scum??? Idk maybe you are scum too and this game is just gonna be easy mode

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kashuno posted:

Except if it was overly defensive or an omgus scenario I probably wouldn't keep my vote on the guy I'm pretty positive is scum??? Idk maybe you are scum too and this game is just gonna be easy mode

:rolleyes:

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Imagine he made the vote without meta on me. What do you think of it then?

Eh. I'm not voting him for that reason. I just don't like that vote.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

Kashuno posted:

:siren:This is a scumpost:siren:

How is that a scumpost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Kashuno posted:

:siren:this is another low content scumpost:siren:

Boo.

Consider my vote on you real.

• Locked thread