Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

thrawn527 posted:

it felt like she belonged to some sort of weird alien race who secretly rules the world from behind the scenes.

You mean a woman? Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I kinda hope Tyrell tries to use the key to get back into E-corp, and it just blows up in his face. Even if they unencrypt the data, it would still be legal quagmire right? There's nothing to prove the data is correct. Whose to say those evil hackers didn't modify the data before encrypting. Management probably knows this, and it'd cost them even more money to fight each case in court. Probably better to just cut their losses now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Holyshoot posted:

The companies who make pay to win video games and EA for ruining my childhood by loving up all the new versions of those games and being a lovely give no fucks about the customer company.

You realize those games from your childhood were pay to win too, right? Arcade games ate quarter after quarter. It's not a new concept.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 16, 2015

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

GutBomb posted:

You realize those games from your childhood were pay to win too, right? Arcade games ate quarter after quarter. It's not a new concept.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4tmzwrdTmY

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

GutBomb posted:

I think those could more accurately be called "pay to lose more".

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

GutBomb posted:

Sorry I should have been more specific. I am talking about the maxis games, specifically Sim City and The Sims. However someone should do a re-make of Sim Tower. I spent hours and hours playing that game as well as Sim Copter.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

GutBomb posted:

Arcade games were not pay to win (at least not the ones that I played). If I wanted to play, and continue to play, I had to drop quarters. That's basically analogous to a traditional subscription game model. Now if Defender allowed me access to better weapons, shields, or other gameplay upgrades via additional quarters, that would be pay to win.

The more I think about Elliot and this show going forward, the more I hope the shrink isn't an active influence on his behavior and therefore the direction of the show. For me, part of the brilliance of the show is watching how his nutiness interacts with reality. Too much of a swing in either the sanity or insanity direction will gently caress up that dynamic and mess with the show.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

CloFan posted:

I finally caught up on the thread, and can't believe no one has mentioned since the finale that in Elliot's withdrawal dream, Tyrell was holding a key. Encryption key? I'm hoping the series does t go that way, and I don't think it will. The repercussions of fsociey's actions have to be real and not undone by the key, but I think it will come into play in one way or another.

Yeah, this is what I worry about too, although at the same time the actual implications of instantly destroying 70% of consumer debt are kind of absurdly huge and I don't know how you make a show about that.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
How about destroying everyones student loan debt? What is the worse that could happen?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

CloFan posted:

I finally caught up on the thread, and can't believe no one has mentioned since the finale that in Elliot's withdrawal dream, Tyrell was holding a key. Encryption key? I'm hoping the series does t go that way, and I don't think it will. The repercussions of fsociey's actions have to be real and not undone by the key, but I think it will come into play in one way or another.

The little girl (which I'm assuming is Darlene) gives him the key. He also gives Angela the key. There are more interpretations other than just Tyrell holding the key.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Huh. I completely forgot/missed the other key references in the sequence. I didn't find a vid of it during a cursory Google before posting that, so I didn't reanalyze.

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

Holyshoot posted:

Sorry I should have been more specific. I am talking about the maxis games, specifically Sim City and The Sims. However someone should do a re-make of Sim Tower. I spent hours and hours playing that game as well as Sim Copter.

The worst example is Dungeon Keeper. EA bought and gutted Bullfrog then gutted the company then sat on DK for 15 years until they shat out Dungeon keeper on iOS where it takes 4 hours to mine a square of dirt unless you pay money to speed it up.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, this is what I worry about too, although at the same time the actual implications of instantly destroying 70% of consumer debt are kind of absurdly huge and I don't know how you make a show about that.

Dark Angel was set in that sort of world. Although it was an EMP that wiped out data rather than hacking.

I am also worried about how they will accurately capture the downcast of society over time. It won't be an instantaneous bang, but more of a protracted affair where people slowly run out of hard cash, and then start bartering with possessions before ending up on the streets.

Some real life examples:
- banks have outages from time to time where people can't use ATMs. The country doesn't implode and the people who are affected feel some temporary pain
- Greece had to shut the banks down to prevent people doing runs on their accounts. There were queues around the block for days as people tried to get small amounts out of their accounts. The country didn't descend into chaos, but that was primarily due to the central bank propping their economy up at the 11th hour
- Germany after WW1. Their money was so worthless that people were using it as wallpaper. The post war government was able to turn around the economy and drastically reduce inflation to bring the Deutschmark back to a usable currency. Not strictly the same, but the country didn't collapse totally as a result.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If most of the debt was wiped out and banks hosed over wouldn't drug dealers suddenly become even more powerful with all their mounds of cash they have hidden away?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Holyshoot posted:

If most of the debt was wiped out and banks hosed over wouldn't drug dealers suddenly become even more powerful with all their mounds of cash they have hidden away?

Hell, a lot of Russian oligarchs got their start from being flush in foreign currencies when everything went down.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
Wow, I blew through this whole season in record time (like, under 36 hours), probably because it just felt like a really long thriller. It's very good.

I wanted to discuss something that I'm surprised not to have seen mentioned much, especially considering the show's good Shakespearean instincts: Macbeth. Here are a few of the most obvious parallels. I'm not a Macbeth scholar or anything, in fact I only read it once like 6 years ago.

1. Joanna is unable to get out a stain in the sheets she's washing at the sink
  2. The revelation of Joanna's first child recalls the title of an important essay in literary criticism, "How Many Children Had Lady Macbeth?" The title of this essay is sarcastic. The point is that it is fruitless to investigate fictional characters as though they were "real," and that these spurious interpretations are unimportant. Hmm...
  3. Consider the recurrence of daggers in Macbeth and Joanna's use of a dagger to break her own water.
  4. Lady Macbeth is more of a man than her husband ("unsex me here," and so forth). Joanna has to give Tyrell tips on more effective seduction of women and corporate maneuvering.
  5. Macbeth also kills someone, and has a massive freakout afterwards.
  6. Tyrell talks to Mr. Robot alone, like Macbeth with Banquo's ghost.

The only difference is that Tyrell kills the wife of the man he wants to usurp, instead of the man himself, but the gist is that Tyrell is also a man who dreams of being king but is too weak to execute these designs on his own. Joanna, his wife, needs to push him to commit these acts, while also picking up the pieces from the job he botched.

To my mind, this is much more satisfying than the baseless speculation that Tyrell is an aspect of Elliot, or whatever. Given how strong the Macbeth parallel is, I would be very surprised if Tyrell is killed by someone other than Elliot (who was "from his mother's womb untimely ripp'd"), if this hasn't happened already.

I think Macbeth is a great choice of inspiration for other reasons, like how the three witches seem to know the plot of the play ahead of time, and appear to address the audience as much as they do Macbeth himself. Macbeth is also really short and probably has sections missing (like Elliot's fragmented memory). I hope they follow through on these themes in the second season.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
^^^^ I remember someone itt definitely caught the Lady MacBeth stuff during the season, though they didn't go as in depth with it.

Holyshoot posted:

Internet nerds could with their bittcoins and meticulously detailed, multi-scenario post apocalypse survival plans, they just gotta find a way to do it from home

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Well it's not like the IRS was hit

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

drat she infected me with her time paranoia

:lol:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Something I've been thinking about is how different Elliot's personality is in the first scene of the show, when he confronted the pedophile, than it is in every other scene since. He was confident, quipping, sarcastic, and completely lacking in fucks to give. Even the scene of him confronting Christa's douchex later in the same episode didn't really play off that way.

Then I thought...what if that very first scene was actually him as Mr. Robot?

:tinfoil:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

BrianWilly posted:

Something I've been thinking about is how different Elliot's personality is in the first scene of the show, when he confronted the pedophile, than it is in every other scene since. He was confident, quipping, sarcastic, and completely lacking in fucks to give. Even the scene of him confronting Christa's douchex later in the same episode didn't really play off that way.

poo poo, this makes perfect sense, I could totally see him saying all that stuff.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

BrianWilly posted:

I don't think so, cause in that scene Elliot talks about his dad and his death, so it wouldn't make sense if the Mr. Robot personality was in play. I will agree though that his confidence was very different than other instances on the show where he interacts with people.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Well, I think in one of Elliot's first conversations with Mr. Robot, he said something to Elliot about his dad being a thief or something, doesn't he? It could be that that was not Elliot talking about his dad but the character of Elliot's dad talking about a possibly fictional version of Elliot's grandpa.

Kind of a stretch maybe, but "talking about his dad" is something Mr. Robot also does.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah the thing is, "Mr. Robot" is not Edward Alderson, "Elliot's dad." He's not even actually how Elliot pictures his dad. He manifests as Edward to Elliot, but to everyone else -- like Darlene and Tyrell -- he just acts like he's Elliot. Which...makes sense, because he is Elliot. It's not impossible that he would relate Elliot's life to someone for shits and giggles.

I will admit it's definitely not a "Wow it's so obvious in retrospect!!" kind of theory and more of a "Wouldn't it be interesting if?" kind of theory.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
At the end of episode 2, Mr Robot tells Elliot that he also knows what it's like to lose a father. It's a brilliant line.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I really like the music when Elliott talks to Joanna. It's just two people talking in the street on a pleasant afternoon but the music is screaming "HOLY poo poo DANGER WILL ROBINSON"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The music is really awesome, even if it does sound that Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch should get royalties.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I thought the show started out great but then got ruined when it was revealed that Mr. Robot is Elliott. It was one of those things that I wish was not the case because it's so cliche. People in this very thread called it.

In fact it went progressively downhill over the last several episodes:

1. Mr. Robot is Elliott's father. (yawn)
2. Mr. Robot isn't real. (yawwwwn)
3. Mr. Robot is actually Elliott! Wow!!! (Zzzzz...)

I dunno, I felt that the writers had something great in their hands and somehow botched it. The finale kind of fell flat, and I probably won't bother watching the next season.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

everyone already knew that was the case, it wasn't really a twist for anyone except Elliot.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

I thought the show started out great but then got ruined when it was revealed that Mr. Robot is Elliott. It was one of those things that I wish was not the case because it's so cliche. People in this very thread called it.

I dunno, I felt that the writers had something great in their hands and somehow botched it. The finale kind of fell flat, and I probably won't bother watching the next season.

Darth Vader being Luke's father (yawn)
Planet of the Apes is actually earth (yawwwwwwwn)
The secret to doing Borden's transported man trick in The Prestige is that he has a twin (zzzz...)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trabandiumium posted:

everyone already knew that was the case, it wasn't really a twist for anyone except Elliot.

But it was clearly written as a plot twist (in fact, THE twist of the season), so it completely fell flat.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Good point, my examples are kind of off.

The fact is that the plot twist was clearly written for the viewer to pick up on which drives the tension: when and how will Elliot find out.

Did you yawn when it was revealed that Elliot didn't even know his own sister?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

enraged_camel posted:

i'm not sure you know what 'cliche' means

its a homage to fight club. they even played a lovely little 'where is my mind' arrangement when he realises that 'i am mr robot'. mr robot is an entire show full of references and homage and pastiche, some very subtle, some very blatant, because that's cyberpunk: a fractured reality/nightmare cemented from the remnants of half-remembered stories

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BrianWilly posted:

drat, that kinda works.

...I need to watch season 1 again.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Did you yawn when it was revealed that Elliot didn't even know his own sister?

No, because I didn't see that coming and it was really bizarre and awesome.

chaosbreather posted:

i'm not sure you know what 'cliche' means

its a homage to fight club. they even played a lovely little 'where is my mind' arrangement when he realises that 'i am mr robot'. mr robot is an entire show full of references and homage and pastiche, some very subtle, some very blatant, because that's cyberpunk: a fractured reality/nightmare cemented from the remnants of half-remembered stories

That's deep dude...

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Elliot immediately accuses the audience of knowing the whole time, so I'm not sure it was intended to be a huge twist.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It wasn't supposed to be a huge twist. Maybe the fact that mr robot was a projection of Elliot's dead father wasn't supposed to be known, but the show made it pretty obvious from at least the second episode that mr robot wasn't real. The show was originally written as a movie, with the first season being the first act, and the point of the first act was to introduce characters and to reveal the state of Elliot's mind. The real meat of the story hasn't even really started yet.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

But it was clearly written as a plot twist (in fact, THE twist of the season), so it completely fell flat.

No, it wasn't? Sorry you're bad at watching TV.

Literally on page 2:

DivisionPost posted:

I love that the show not only seems to anticipate that the viewer's reaction will be "Oh, he's going Tyler Durden," but pretty much responds by saying "Yeah, what if he is?"

They're not trying to snow you in some effort to build to a "shocking" "reveal". It's got enough swagger to let you make up your own mind, and enough confidence to think you'll be invested either way. And it earns every last ounce.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, the tension is not "omg who is Mr Robot" it's "how is Elliot going to react and change when he realizes that he's Mr Robot and loses his external anchor". We shared the disruption of the Darlene reveal with Elliot, to put us in a sympathetic framing with him. Then we got to watch him discover something more disruptive that we knew/suspected all along, with that memory fresh in our minds.

The writers don't have any illusions that it's unexpected; they stop just shy of explicitly telling us just to leave a bit more kick in watching Elliot go through the reset of his world. It's telegraphed all along, because we're supposed to know that it's coming, that Mr Robot isn't what he seems to be, and that Elliot -- already off balance in a bunch of ways -- is going to take a serious blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CloFan posted:

No, it wasn't? Sorry you're bad at watching TV.

Literally on page 2:

Glad you read up to page 2. Let me give you some quotes from pages 17-20:

Spergatory posted:

Ghost Dad we totally called, but I don't think anybody predicted SisDarlene. :stare:

Even knowing what it probably was in advance, that did nothing to change how loving boss the execution was. And you want to know the real mindfuck?

We still don't know if Mr. Robot is real.

muscles like this? posted:

So there's basically two options here:
Mr. Robot is actually Elliot and he's just projecting his father's image
Mr. Robot is actually Elliot's father and he faked his own death playing on Elliot's mental issues to kind of just swoop in and as long as he didn't say anything Elliot wouldn't realize what was going on.

I'm kind of leaning toward the second as he is noticeably older than in the pictures, which would be an odd detail for a crazy person to come up with.

steakmancer posted:

Essentially Eliot's dad never died and turned Eliot into an autistic hacking machine with some good old-fashioned familiar neglect

They didn't say anything about the Darlene issue tho

insider posted:

Another strong episode and the first one with Mr. Robot alone talking to another character?

Tailored Sauce posted:

Love this show's cinematography and storylines. I still think the pilot has been the best episode, but each episode so far has been strong in its own way.

The members of fsociety are actually all on a plane right now being incepted. Mr. Robot is just a projection of Elliot's subconsciousness to all the other fsociety members. Can't wait for DiCaprio to show up in the finale! (this is my dumb theory and will stick to it)

So yeah, most people in this thread (including the OP) must be "bad at watching TV".

• Locked thread