Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I installed iOS 9 an I'm no longer able to update my apps. As the screenshot shows "update all" is greyed out and the links for the individual apps read "open" instead of update. Problem persists after restart. Any ideas?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Update All was greyed out for me earlier, but a bit of scrolling around and it popped back to blue. I'm gonna guess servers are just being utterly hammered right now that's all.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
It was the same for me on my iPad, but seems to have fixed itself.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bronin posted:

Hmm weird. I honestly didn't have that app when I was on iOS 8.

Sorry, I was wrong. Just saw a roundup saying they're now default.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Sooo half my ip6 screen vertically split randomly darkened. Like if someone held a magnet to it? Not sure how that could have happened I'm not sure. Think I've had it just over a year. Anyone?

They came out on 9/19 last year. If you got it on release day HURRY THE gently caress UP and get to an Apple store in the next 3 days and you're good to go brother.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Edit: wrong thread

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Thauros posted:

I installed iOS 9 an I'm no longer able to update my apps. As the screenshot shows "update all" is greyed out and the links for the individual apps read "open" instead of update. Problem persists after restart. Any ideas?

It's doing the same thing for me and has been stuck that way since I updated 5 hours ago.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They're all terrible because iOS is terrible at handling them.

What you don't like reloading them constantly?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's doing the same thing for me and has been stuck that way since I updated 5 hours ago.

Well, fixed that. I read about some people having the same problem going from 7 to 8 and fixed it by going into settings and flicking all of the download options back and forth. Didn't change anyhting but apparently fiddling with them blew out whatever clog was in the system.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Still persisting for me even after restoring from a backup :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Haggins posted:

Any recommendations on 6+ cases that aren't too bulky but are a little bit water resistance? I have my 6S+ coming next week and I'm thinking I should get something that I can pull out in the rain. Just light Seattle rain, not Florida tropical storm poo poo.

I live in the Seattle area and just use a regular Apple leather case, it's been fine.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Marco Arment released a content blocker in partnership with Ghostery

App Store link

Post on his blog

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

EL BROMANCE posted:

Crystal has a dumb name because there's a million apps that come up. I found it by searching for 'crystal content'.

Pretty sure Find My iPhone/Friends apps became standard as of iOS 8.

I just searched for "crystal ad blocker" for the same reason, and it was the first result.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

iPad 3 is literally the redheaded stepchild of iPads.
You literally don't know what that word means.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

What the gently caress were they thinking with this home button doubleclick thing? I want to swipe up to close the app I'm using, and now it's a tiny sliver on the far right of my phone.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

various cheeses posted:

What the gently caress were they thinking with this home button doubleclick thing? I want to swipe up to close the app I'm using, and now it's a tiny sliver on the far right of my phone.

Maybe it's to discourage people constantly force closing apps after they've used them

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

dexter6 posted:

You literally don't know what that word means.

Which particular one?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

OhFunny posted:

YouTube in Safari right? Not the YouTube app? If the latter I'll buy it in the heartbeat.

Just in Safari I think but I'd love to be wrong.

A few words on Purify. It does what it says it does on the tin, but I'm noticing that if I go to Safari --> YouTube and load up a video of that video has an ad I get a black screen where it says Advertisement in the corner and nothing happens for what SUSPICIOUSLY seems like the duration of whatever ad would have played.

Then the video plays.

Anyone else?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

various cheeses posted:

It's designed this way because, with the 6s and 6s Plus, you'll be able to 3D touch the side of the screen and swipe to the app "underneath" your current one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I can't find anywhere where Marco mentions if Peace Blocker* blocks Safari-based YouTube ads?

*(Haha MGS Peace Blocker!)

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I'm upgrading from a 5s to a 6s and want to start fresh as far as apps and whatnot, without a restore. However, I would like to restore my iMessage history if I can. Is there an easy way to restore only iMessage from a backup?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

101 posted:

Maybe it's to discourage people constantly force closing apps after they've used them

I can't tell if that's a serious response or not.

Anyways I just wish I could pick what side it moves to. I usually hold my phone with my left hand and it's slightly more annoying to reach across the phone.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

various cheeses posted:

I can't tell if that's a serious response or not.

Probably is. You don't need to close apps on your phone.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, I know the focus is more of an "app switcher," which is why it defaults more to the last app you used and thus you'd want to quickly switch to, rather than the one you were just in. But it does seem weird that they kind of changed the direction of things, pretty used to older stuff being on the right. I guess it will just take some getting used to.

My biggest iOS 9 gripe is still the music app. Okay, cool, you added in a "Shuffle All" button, but now I have a persistent banner reminding me that it's showing me only music on my iPhone. Okay? Cool? Can I dismiss it? Could it even just stay at the top of the screen and go away when I scroll? gently caress You?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yeah, I know the focus is more of an "app switcher," which is why it defaults more to the last app you used and thus you'd want to quickly switch to, rather than the one you were just in. But it does seem weird that they kind of changed the direction of things, pretty used to older stuff being on the right. I guess it will just take some getting used to.

I don't know how important this really is, but generally earlier stuff is to the left in iOS. You swipe from the left side to go back a page in Safari. The new "Back to X app" links in apps point to the left. The new app switcher is more consistent with that.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

Probably is. You don't need to close apps on your phone.

I take it you've never gotten an app into a state where it's easier to force quit and restart it than to try to get it working from whatever state it's currently in.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone buy Peace yet?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Gonna wait for some reviews of content blockers in the coming weeks. I'm using crystal in the meantime since it's free

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I have 0 idea what could possibly make one content blocker better than some other

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

kode54 posted:

I take it you've never gotten an app into a state where it's easier to force quit and restart it than to try to get it working from whatever state it's currently in.

I mean it's still pretty easy to force close apps with the new switcher for the 1% or less of the time an app gets hosed to the point of needing to be killed.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm looking for opinions on using the iPhone upgrade program - it looks like you pay about $100 over the cost of the phone (or $300 over the cost of upgraded phone) over the life of the contract, to finance it and to be able to upgrade after one year.

It's not clear to me what happens to the next year of payments if you upgrade after one year (I assume you pay it off or roll it into the new contract).

Should I do this or should I just use my upgrade on Verizon?

Looking at a 6S/6S+ in 128GB.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Feenix posted:

Anyone buy Peace yet?

Yes. Content is blocked, needs suited. I like that I can toggle social blocking stuff too, not sure if the others do that too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

I have 0 idea what could possibly make one content blocker better than some other

How much resource they take up.

Completeness of black/white lists.

Actual not workingness? (Purify hangs at YouTube videos with ads.)

I mean... There are reasons...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FCKGW posted:

Yes. Content is blocked, needs suited. I like that I can toggle social blocking stuff too, not sure if the others do that too.

YouTube ads?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krakkles posted:

I'm looking for opinions on using the iPhone upgrade program - it looks like you pay about $100 over the cost of the phone (or $300 over the cost of upgraded phone) over the life of the contract, to finance it and to be able to upgrade after one year.

It's not clear to me what happens to the next year of payments if you upgrade after one year (I assume you pay it off or roll it into the new contract).

Should I do this or should I just use my upgrade on Verizon?

Looking at a 6S/6S+ in 128GB.

If you upgrade after 1 year you turn in the phone and start a new 24 month install plan. If you ride out the full 2 years you keep the phone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Feenix posted:

YouTube ads?

Maybe? I don't really watch YouTube on safari but I didn't see any ads in a handful of videos I just tried to play. Or maybe the weird videos I watch aren't monetized.

Edit: it looks like it blocks ads, but won't bypass ads. Meaning if there's supposed to be a 15 second ad before a YouTube video then is blocks it but the the video will stay blank and not play until 15 seconds have passed. It looks like this:

Then the video starts.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 17, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Purify does the same thing. What the gently caress... Why would that be good? Also the purify promo video leads one to believe it is instantaneous.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Between the smaller footprint and app thinning, I've reclaimed about 6 GB on my 5. Best update.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

bronin posted:

Gonna wait for some reviews of content blockers in the coming weeks. I'm using crystal in the meantime since it's free

The arms race between the ad-blockers and the advertisers will begin!

What it will ultimately come down to is the blocker dev having an up-to-date block list and the advertisers trying to circumvent that.

What will happen, who will know. This is, for reals, going to change the web as far as advertising goes.

Yeah, the reviews are going to be fun. I do think its going to come down to the "advertising is okay on the sites I LIKE" VS "I hate all web advertising" (guilty) when it comes to blocker creators. Going to be interesting how it shakes out.

On day-1? Purify wins in my books.

EDIT:

noirstronaut posted:

Whichever content-blocker kowtow's to the advertisers first? :haw:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ddogflex posted:

They came out on 9/19 last year. If you got it on release day HURRY THE gently caress UP and get to an Apple store in the next 3 days and you're good to go brother.

Just dug through some emails and ordered it October 9th. Thought it was well over a year. Thank goodness. Do need to wipe this JB though