Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

il_cornuto posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for stuff like Chelsea Wolfe's newest album? Because I can't stop listening to it and her older stuff, while good, doesn't have the same feel.

Nothing super similar comes to mind. Maybe Jarboe-era SWANS or some Zola Jesus (I love the album she did with Foetus). Monarch! for something heavier; Anna Calvi, Angel Olsen, or Emma Ruth Rundle's most recent albums for something softer.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Pinkish Black is kinda like her latest album. They have a new album coming out soon that should be really good. Their last one, Razed to the Ground, is excellent. They have that same sorta heavy electronic vibe.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.
For a similar general ambiance, you could also check out that last Haxan Cloak album.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I don't know if this is better suited for the metal thread, but new Intronaut track right here. Surprise, it loving owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb4E7oEZq0

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Thanks for the recommendations, working through them. So far Marriages and Emma Ruth Rendle are great.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I don't know if this is better suited for the metal thread, but new Intronaut track right here. Surprise, it loving owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb4E7oEZq0

A lot of Intronaut fits here, they're an interesting blend. They fit with Mastodon and Baroness on one side, Meshuggah/Cloudkicker on another, and also do a whole range of prog rock style riffs.

The new song reminds me of Meshuggah at parts, I can see how their tour together with Sacha singing for Meshuggah on a song influenced them. Also, the Cloudkicker influence is showing thanks to the tour they did as his backing band. It's a pretty awesome mix and I like!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Solid heavy stoner psych from Greece, debut album.

Arrakis - Ammu Dia

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'm digging this https://rosyfinch.bandcamp.com/album/witchboro

It's most of on the ambient/post-something side of things, but I like.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

I haven't seen this posted yet, windhand's latest album is streaming: http://www.npr.org/2015/09/09/438655152/first-listen-windhand-griefs-infernal-flower

It's pretty great.

I'm loving that NPR keeps streaming awesome music early.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Xenochrist posted:

I haven't seen this posted yet, windhand's latest album is streaming: http://www.npr.org/2015/09/09/438655152/first-listen-windhand-griefs-infernal-flower

It's pretty great.

:smugdog:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Xenochrist posted:

It's pretty great.

It owns for real

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

What the gently caress COC/Brant Bjork date in NYC was cancelled? WHY?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

butros posted:

What the gently caress COC/Brant Bjork date in NYC was cancelled? WHY?

The WI date was removed as well. They said on their FB that it's coming back they just announced it too early. Perhaps the same thing with your date happened

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Xenochrist posted:

It's pretty great.

aw yes, just got my digital download link from Relapse/bandcamp reminding me that I preordered this :getin:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Mine just came in today. Gonna spin some Horrendous and Woods of Desolation first to get me in the mood.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Darthemed posted:

Solid heavy stoner psych from Greece, debut album.

Arrakis - Ammu Dia

This is good thanks! It's a bit like a more jammy slightly heavier Colour Haze. Instrumental.

The new Windhand sounds so good. I love how Dorthia's voice sounds on it. Great release.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I saw Goatsnake, Black Blood, Battalion Of Saints and Obliteration at Alex's Bar In Long Beach Ca last night. Good show other than Battalion of Saints needs to hang it up.One remaining original member, the vocals, the rest of the band isn't bad but just stop...

Obliteration opened, crowd was into them, tight performance.

Black Blood was groovy, worked the crowd well.

Goatsnake came on at midnight, I had been up since 3:45am and I am 45 so my old rear end left. The 4 songs ( think) I stayed for were good, I was fading fast though.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The new Windhand sounds so good. I love how Dorthia's voice sounds on it. Great release.

It certainly does sound good, I'll give it that, and the vocals are a step up as well. But man, I was really hoping they'd diversify their songwriting for this one a bit more. I think I gave Soma a bit of a pass on the sheer strength of their sound, but this feels like such a retread. Same mid-paced riffs, same vocal cadence, same hooks & solos, same solo acoustic interlude mid-album - nothing on here surprised me at all. I think they've got a really great signature sound, and a songwriting formula that works, but I don't know how long they can keep going back to that well.

Also, was it just the Bandcamp stream, or do a few of the tracks cut off with no warning?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Hesperus does for sure. I had the vinyl playing and the song ended so quickly that I thought maybe the stereo I plug into died on me.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Robophile posted:

It certainly does sound good, I'll give it that, and the vocals are a step up as well. But man, I was really hoping they'd diversify their songwriting for this one a bit more. I think I gave Soma a bit of a pass on the sheer strength of their sound, but this feels like such a retread. Same mid-paced riffs, same vocal cadence, same hooks & solos, same solo acoustic interlude mid-album - nothing on here surprised me at all. I think they've got a really great signature sound, and a songwriting formula that works, but I don't know how long they can keep going back to that well.

Yeah they're basically a one trick pony.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
They have 2 riffs that they play again and again in slightly different variations. What makes it worse is that their songs are way too loving long considering how little substance there is to them. The singer is boring as gently caress, too.

Cautionary example of mindless amplifier worship.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Saw Windhand described as peanut butter jelly flavour in a YouTube comment. Always the same, yet never unwelcome. I tend to agree.

So looking forward to the next Cough album though, here's hoping Chandler Parker's still unhappy as gently caress with his lot in life.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

nosophoros posted:

So looking forward to the next Cough album though, here's hoping Chandler Parker's still unhappy as gently caress with his lot in life.

Electric Wizard reference or cry for help, you decide

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

nosophoros posted:

Saw Windhand described as peanut butter jelly flavour in a YouTube comment. Always the same, yet never unwelcome. I tend to agree.

He randomly followed me on Instagram like 2 years ago. Never liked any of my drawings, but I still thought it was pretty cool.

And I am slightly disappointed with Windhand. I was so stoked when I found their demo in 2010 or 11 and tried to find some more stuff from them. I even emailed Henry Rollins to share them with him. I like to think that I'm a small reason why they got signed to Relapse haha. But I will listen to them regardless even if their albums are the same sounding. It's like Motörhead or AC/DC where you know what to expect, like comfort food.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone recommend some doom that incorporates post-rock into it similar to what Bongripper did on Hippie Killer?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Polegrinder posted:

And I am slightly disappointed with Windhand.

Same here. I dig Hyperion and Sparrows but it really does sound exactly the same as the last record (which I dug). Still pumped to go see them with Monolord, but I was really hoping they'd branch out a little.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone recommend some doom that incorporates post-rock into it similar to what Bongripper did on Hippie Killer?

Burt Reynolds has got poo poo on You :rock:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Burt Reynolds has got poo poo on You :rock:
That song is so loving good. I can't really think of much music that's combined post-rock with sludge metal ala Hippie Killer - all "post-metal" style music crosses that bridge, but isn't quite as dirty and fuzzy. Regardless I'd recommend early Pelican, Rosetta, Manatees and particularly Bossk's two EPs.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Idioteque Dance posted:

That song is so loving good. I can't really think of much music that's combined post-rock with sludge metal ala Hippie Killer - all "post-metal" style music crosses that bridge, but isn't quite as dirty and fuzzy. Regardless I'd recommend early Pelican, Rosetta, Manatees and particularly Bossk's two EPs.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll definitely check them out!

Though you're right, it's difficult to find stuff that hits the same spot, it seems everything is either too post rock or too metal. I hope Bongripper puts out more stuff like that though because Burt Reynolds is just so loving good.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Kvlt! posted:

This might be what you're looking for. Cries of Dying Stars and Earth are standout tracks.

https://belowthesundoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OpaqueEcho fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 21, 2015

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

OpaqueEcho posted:

This might be what you're looking for. Cries of Dying Stars and Earth are standout tracks.

https://belowthesundoom.bandcamp.com/releases

That's different than what I was thinking but holy poo poo that was absolutely fantastic. Thanks man!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Rosy Finch reminds me a lot of Royal Thunder in a really good way. I like this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut71tQI5yFM

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Kylesa album streaming: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/kylesas-exhausting-fire-stream

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

This absolutely smokes.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

OpaqueEcho posted:

This absolutely smokes.

There's a couple of clunky moments where they reach a little too far, but I like this album a ton more than Ultraviolet or Spiral Shadow and I'd rather them keep trying new things and evolving rather than just churn out a bunch of Spiral Shadow retreads for the Pitchfork set.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

That's different than what I was thinking but holy poo poo that was absolutely fantastic. Thanks man!

Seconding this. This is an absolute pro-click. I'm just sitting here boggling over how great it is.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

I'm glad they are giving Laura more vocal duties. By I'm really surprised at how well Phillip's vocals are this time around. I usually cringe at his songs on Ultraviolet. Now I am genuinely excited to see them live.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just recorded harsh vocals for my band's first album. We'll have a single out October 1 and an album on Halloween, mastered by the dude who mastered Dopesmoker (who FYI is extremely cheap!). If you're interested in our Facebook/Bandcamp, we're called Flesh of the Stars, but currently there's nothing on those pages except info. I'll link them directly when the actual song(s) appear.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
A sludge band from my hometown called Senior Fellows just released their second album, "Shallow Grave for a Dying God." Highly recommended if you like your sludge extremely loving filthy. Coincidentally it was also mastered by the Dopesmoker guy.

Bandcamp
Spotify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

The rear end Stooge posted:

A sludge band from my hometown called Senior Fellows just released their second album, "Shallow Grave for a Dying God." Highly recommended if you like your sludge extremely loving filthy. Coincidentally it was also mastered by the Dopesmoker guy.

Bandcamp
Spotify

who is this guy exactly and which version did he master? this is the second time in a few days i've seen the dopesmoker guy referenced.

band sounds pretty good, i'll check em out properly when i get off work.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 24, 2015