Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

That thread title! I'll never get tired of the ongoing saga of Ohtori and Steve.

Eejit posted:

Spend more time around cockatoos before you do. They need literal hours of socialization per day and still yell most days.

They can be good birds (mine is) but they have very big needs.

Seriously. I lucked out and got one that was basically a sweet old man, but as a whole they have huge personalities, and need a fair amount of interaction and physical contact. The cockatoo videos on YouTube are pretty representative of what you'll get.

Also, bitey whitey bites aren't even in the same galaxy as conure bites. See my post a few pages back. Fair warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Eejit posted:

Spend more time around cockatoos before you do. They need literal hours of socialization per day and still yell most days.

They can be good birds (mine is) but they have very big needs.

Right, right--I was meaning more, like, I had never previously even thought about what it would be like to have one around, and now I'm actually giving it thought. Fret not, I won't be acting rashly.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Trebuchet King posted:

Right, right--I was meaning more, like, I had never previously even thought about what it would be like to have one around, and now I'm actually giving it thought. Fret not, I won't be acting rashly.

If you haven't already, watch a lot of Maxwell the cockatoo's videos. As I've watched him over the months, I'm getting a much better feel for the nature of these birds. Max is a happy individual in a stable home, but he acts out at times, just like a little kid. His owner records it all, good times and bad times.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Such cute birbs :kimchi:

I am THIS CLOSE to looking up the nearest lovebird seller on Gumtree and going over to their place this afternoon and taking all their birds. I won't actually do it because impulse purchasing birds is Very Bad but ugh. I miss my baby neckbird :smith:

Tonight I am playing Eclipse Phase so I can pretend to be a (different) bird and also hug cats and eat junk food and tell everyone about how awesome Bitey was.

e: PS thank you everyone being so nice about Bitey, it is very much appreciated :unsmith:

Bitey is in good company because last night there was an unfortunate accident and LOLA shuffled loose her mortal coil. It is some bullshit.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Actually Max is a super well-adjusted bird. His owner does a magnificent job and Max represents pretty much the best you'll get with a cockatoo. The problem is that they can get much worse. If you don't provide for their social and intellectual needs, they are absolutely going to act out. They make horrible noises, they cause a LOT of pain, and they are very smart in how they destroy the people and things you love.

And yes, they will outlive you. That's why I have made it a point to work hard with Teeka, because my parents bought the bird and didn't ever consider whether or not I wanted to have to care for a two year old for my entire life as well. But I can't find it in me to neglect him because he is so smart and good at heart, so he is a burden I gladly bear. And it turns out that having a warm fluffy snuggly cloud that makes hilarious/sweet/expressive noises in addition to his horrible noises is actually alright by me.

It's just that it's so easy to see a bird like Max and be like, yeah, I could live with a cockatoo. But his owner puts so much time and effort into that bird, probably literally as much as he would put into a child because when people say cockatoos are like two year olds, it's not a simile: the birds have the intelligence and needs of a two year old child. Yes, it can be extremely rewarding, but it also takes up a lot of your time and emotional resources.

I don't want it to come across like I am jumping down your throat, because maybe you are a great candidate for a cockatoo and that would be awesome, but I also think you need to spend a long time interacting with them at shelters and doing a lot of reading about them before making that decision. Expose yourself to a wide variety of cockatoo personalities (they do indeed vary) as well as histories (good histories like Max or bad histories which are trouble birds--the bird sanctuary caretakers will be happy to show you). It's just a humongous commitment and I wanted to communicate that so that if you take a very intelligent creature into your care that it works out well for the both of you.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that come up as well! At the worst you'll have gotten to play with a few 'toos and that usually makes me feel good.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The part about personalities is incredibly true. Even smaller, dumber birds like Quakers have incredibly varied personalities, it's really surprising.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I meant that Max is a happy and stable bird. I should've clarified that he is not the average cockatoo; of course, most aren't as happy and well-behaved. He just is a well-documented example of how a cockatoo can operate at full potential, and even then he creates significant challenges in the household's everyday life. Since cockatoos think on the level of 2 year olds, they have limited ways to express their frustrations, request help, or let out stress. Inevitably, they're going to act out!

It's kinda scary knowing that he is about as well-behaved as a big cockatoo can get. From what I can tell he literally is given the same kind of time and care that a child needs, and even then he can be awfully needy. It is very difficult to have a girlfriend/boyfriend, spouse, kids, or guests around for long with a demanding (and possibly jealous) bird that wants to be around you almost every hour they're awake. If you take a cockatoo into your home and give it the time and effort it needs, it will have a significant impact on the course of your life. And that's why I admire them from a safe distance.

It's amazing that derpatiels are related to these guys. Their needs are so different.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

That's pretty much why I haven't looked into a grey or cockatoo more than "I want one". I'm finding myself more and more busy lately and I still need to spend time with Boop, who doesn't mind sitting on the monitor watching me type away at something. Or getting up to mischief on the curtain.

I've mentioned before that I'd love to get one if I had the money, but even if I did, I probably wouldn't.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Bitey is in good company because last night there was an unfortunate accident and LOLA shuffled loose her mortal coil. It is some bullshit.

Oh no! What happened? :(

I'm so sorry to hear!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

It's late here so sorry for the darkness, but here's Ohtori and Steve hanging out together in Steve's cage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5YsJNprKYA

your green bird is trying to feed your yellow bird

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

How exactly are the needs of herpatiels different, aside from the obvious "they are easier?"

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Eejit posted:

Actually Max is a super well-adjusted bird. His owner does a magnificent job and Max represents pretty much the best you'll get with a cockatoo. The problem is that they can get much worse. If you don't provide for their social and intellectual needs, they are absolutely going to act out. They make horrible noises, they cause a LOT of pain, and they are very smart in how they destroy the people and things you love.

And yes, they will outlive you. That's why I have made it a point to work hard with Teeka, because my parents bought the bird and didn't ever consider whether or not I wanted to have to care for a two year old for my entire life as well. But I can't find it in me to neglect him because he is so smart and good at heart, so he is a burden I gladly bear. And it turns out that having a warm fluffy snuggly cloud that makes hilarious/sweet/expressive noises in addition to his horrible noises is actually alright by me.

It's just that it's so easy to see a bird like Max and be like, yeah, I could live with a cockatoo. But his owner puts so much time and effort into that bird, probably literally as much as he would put into a child because when people say cockatoos are like two year olds, it's not a simile: the birds have the intelligence and needs of a two year old child. Yes, it can be extremely rewarding, but it also takes up a lot of your time and emotional resources.

I don't want it to come across like I am jumping down your throat, because maybe you are a great candidate for a cockatoo and that would be awesome, but I also think you need to spend a long time interacting with them at shelters and doing a lot of reading about them before making that decision. Expose yourself to a wide variety of cockatoo personalities (they do indeed vary) as well as histories (good histories like Max or bad histories which are trouble birds--the bird sanctuary caretakers will be happy to show you). It's just a humongous commitment and I wanted to communicate that so that if you take a very intelligent creature into your care that it works out well for the both of you.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that come up as well! At the worst you'll have gotten to play with a few 'toos and that usually makes me feel good.

Max videos are what I watch to satisfy my urge for a bigger bird. He's adorable and sweet, but his owner has a whole room dedicated for Max's use and from what I can tell, comes back every lunch to let him out and give him some more playtime. That level of dedication is amazing, I admire all y'all big bird owners.

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Tasty Crayon, I'm sorry!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pookah posted:

Edit:Steve vs. Ohtori is amaaazing; Steves all like, "I wuv you, I wuv you, oh poo poo, back down there lover" - hows his weight btw?

I'm happy to report he appears to be 89-90g again! Hopefully that's not fat. Reminder, after the vet visit he was 73g

BTW they never replied to my question about what fresh food they gave, and I couldn't get someone to call them so who knows. If we use them again I think I'll ask that they provide photographic evidence of their fresh food daily-that's reasonable considering, right?

Dreggon posted:

your green bird is trying to feed your yellow bird

And I'm not entirely sure Mellow Yellow there realises it

Tasty_Crayon posted:

I'm so sorry :(

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Potato Salad posted:

How exactly are the needs of herpatiels different, aside from the obvious "they are easier?"

I mean they still need basic husbandry and socialization but not nearly the same degree of the latter as a cockatoo. Like a pair of cockatiels in a big cage with plenty of toys are gonna be pretty content without much human intervention.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I mean they still need basic husbandry and socialization but not nearly the same degree of the latter as a cockatoo. Like a pair of cockatiels in a big cage with plenty of toys are gonna be pretty content without much human intervention.

What if you just got one cockatiel and put it in a cage with a potato with a little yellow feather taped to the top.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Thanks you guys. She was hanging out on top of the bathroom door and Dan moved it to grab something on the sink. She flew away but died in my hands a few minutes later. We are still not sure exactly what happened, she looked fine and I didn't feel any broken bones. We are missing her pretty badly.

Almost went home with a dusky conure yesterday but as sweet as he was the hole in our hearts is distinctly lovebird shaped :(

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Judah keeps doing this cute thing and then moving as soon as I lift my phone to take a picture :argh:

He likes those shreddable toys that are big cylinders of woven palm at the top with like, octopus legs at the bottom of folded up colored paper, but he doesn't like the ones sized for cockatiels, he likes the ones sized for cockatoos so they take up like one whole corner of his cage. It's kind of gray and stormy all morning which is prime Judah nap weather, but instead of going to his usual nap perch he paused mid-play and seemed to go "Eh, gently caress it, this is good" and was clinging to the top dead asleep till I moved just now trying to quietly get my phone.

loving potato birb :mad: Let me show people how cute you can be

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tendai posted:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
LOOK AT HIS LITTLE FACE I CAN'T HANDLE IT

(Or her? The face is confusing me, my only female potato was a pastelface so her cheek patches were faded. Its head looks too gray for a male but the cheeks too orange for a female and I think that last one just might be my misperception)

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

:aaaaa: These are such beautiful photos!! Your bird is unbearably adorable

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tendai posted:

LOOK AT HIS LITTLE FACE I CAN'T HANDLE IT

(Or her? The face is confusing me, my only female potato was a pastelface so her cheek patches were faded. Its head looks too gray for a male but the cheeks too orange for a female and I think that last one just might be my misperception)

I'm using 'her' for the moment, since that was what the breeder used. I still haven't confirmed sex though.

Pion also recently (some weeks ago by now?) discovered that scritches are very good and will far too often sit on my hand or arm or shoulder and just bend the head all the way down. CUDDLE ME!

Of course I have zero pictures of that. Can't photograph with both arms fully occupied by that tiny, exceedingly fluffy neck.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

Pion also recently (some weeks ago by now?) discovered that scritches are very good and will far too often sit on my hand or arm or shoulder and just bend the head all the way down. CUDDLE ME!

Of course I have zero pictures of that. Can't photograph with both arms fully occupied by that tiny, exceedingly fluffy neck.
That's exactly why I can't get pictures of Judah when he's out. If he sees my hand raise for any reason his reaction is to shove his head down and I don't have enough hands to do everything :3: I love my dumb little taterbirb.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Steve will do it to the camera, he's easy to take photos of-Inko is the one that's super suspicious of the camera

How old is Pion? At this point I'd go with "she". Does she ever whistle or sing?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve will do it to the camera, he's easy to take photos of-Inko is the one that's super suspicious of the camera
Judah will glare at me like "If your hand is full you can't scratch my neck, rear end in a top hat."

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Oh yeah, he'll do that too, and soon enough equip the Angry Eyebrows and start hitting me with his beak. He doesn't often sit on my hand though so I usually have one free and he finds it acceptable!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

How old is Pion? At this point I'd go with "she". Does she ever whistle or sing?

I don't have an exact date, but from late May or early June, so around 3-4 months by now.

She definitely vocalizes, in various ways. I can't call any of it singing, but whistling happens. Then screechy sounds, I think this is mostly when she's tired. And then some screaming, mostly when I'm out of sight. I'm not sure if the screaming is fright of being left alone, or annoyance at me daring to leave...

Anyway just tried taking a video of typical evening antics in the cage. This has almost the full range of vocalizations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXN3w2eefp4

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

nielsm posted:

I'm not sure if the screaming is [...] annoyance at me daring to leave...

It's this one. Always this one.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

a.wkej;roajwhdoyfahsjldkf'alskdjfa;hsdlkfjasldfkjasd;lfkajsd;lvnas;oidg'sdijfalsdkjfa;lsdkj;fasldkf

PS: Holy crap that's either really good lighting, a fantastic good camera, nuanced setup, or all three. What do you use?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

PS: Holy crap that's either really good lighting, a fantastic good camera, nuanced setup, or all three. What do you use?

Light is sunset from a window right ahead of me (so backlit), and a warm-color 400 lumen LED bulb overhead.
Camera is Nikon D700, with a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro lens.

Camera and lens is quite good, but it's definitely luck with the lighting that makes these.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/awtt8NH.webm

More stuff stolen from imgur.

Why the heck doesn't SA support webm yet. I hate linking these instead of posting gifs and I don't know how (and am also too lazy to) fix them.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

hahaha he's SO MAD when the tiel makes him drop it

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Agent355 posted:

http://i.imgur.com/awtt8NH.webm

More stuff stolen from imgur.

Why the heck doesn't SA support webm yet. I hate linking these instead of posting gifs and I don't know how (and am also too lazy to) fix them.

Holy loving lmao

Left-right-left-right-left-AW SHIIIII

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Tasty_Crayon posted:

I'm so sorry :( (((hugs)))

As for the rest of you... keep the pics coming please! I am so in love with your birbs!

I went to return some cat kibble to Petco that my ungrateful feline overlords decided that they DO NOT WANT and HOW DARE YOU OFFER THIS TO US (and told me so in many many ways sigh) and stopped to see my little conure friend, Han Solo. He was gone, so I am hoping he got a good home. I seriously considered bringing him home with me more than once...but right now it would not have been a safe place for him at all with all my kitties in the house we are in. Saw some absolutely adorable budgies though, the colors were gorgeous! They even had a budgie in varying shades of grey and silver. I'd never seen a color like that before and was just entranced for a good few minutes watching his/her antics.

If all goes well, next year we should be able to get a conure, but eventually I would like to get a derpatiel and a budgie or two since they are so cute. Till then, I live vicariously through you and through my many many webpages of lil birbs.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's this one. Always this one.
Yes.

Ahaha that is amazing. The middle where they all pause for a moment and then when it drops.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

I use a tool named Gooncam.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Tendai posted:

Judah keeps doing this cute thing and then moving as soon as I lift my phone to take a picture :argh:

He likes those shreddable toys that are big cylinders of woven palm at the top with like, octopus legs at the bottom of folded up colored paper, but he doesn't like the ones sized for cockatiels, he likes the ones sized for cockatoos so they take up like one whole corner of his cage. It's kind of gray and stormy all morning which is prime Judah nap weather, but instead of going to his usual nap perch he paused mid-play and seemed to go "Eh, gently caress it, this is good" and was clinging to the top dead asleep till I moved just now trying to quietly get my phone.

Daisy loves these, I got one thats a ribbon of woven palm. I strung them up in her cage like party favors, it was like four dollars for 30 feet of it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah shreddable palm toys are about all he'll play with with the exception of one bell and the rope-framed mirror that he ignores because mirrors are dumb let's preen the rope :derptiel: One wall of his cage has the strips of them woven in and he hangs out and gnaws.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
My budgies don't tuck their heads under their wings when they sleep. :derptiel:

They also prefer bamboo cuttings and stripping bark off their natural perches to toys.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
My tiels love anything paper-y and they love chewing on leather strips. Charlie goes for wood toys. Actually it's a pain in the rear end getting toys for him because while he's about the same size as a bigger conure his beak is so big that I have to buy toys meant for Amazons or else they get destroyed in 12 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm trying to play video games but my bird is sitting next to my keyboard saying "BABY" and grabbing my finger in his beak so I will rub his head with it

help my life is really hard :(