Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Centripetal Horse posted:

Do you work in the film industry? I'm curious because you said "behind the scenes."

Have you ever been the focus of attention for 500, or 1,000, or more people while you're supposed to be bawling your eyes out, or professing deep love or passion for someone or something? Forget live theater, or public audiences, just try it in front of a director, and a handful of camera men and sound guys. If you've never done it, you might be shocked. It actually takes significant courage. I think it's totally fair to use the word "fearless" to describe an actor tackling a difficult part.

Thanks, Anne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Really, her?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Centripetal Horse posted:

Do you work in the film industry? I'm curious because you said "behind the scenes."

Have you ever been the focus of attention for 500, or 1,000, or more people while you're supposed to be bawling your eyes out, or professing deep love or passion for someone or something? Forget live theater, or public audiences, just try it in front of a director, and a handful of camera men and sound guys. If you've never done it, you might be shocked. It actually takes significant courage. I think it's totally fair to use the word "fearless" to describe an actor tackling a difficult part.

The real actor is the guy who stands at the front counter of MacDonalds everyday and tries to convince hundreds of people he's happy to see them. Totally fearless.

You do tend to see this stuff get exaggerated on dvd commentaries a lot. My favorite is anytime an actor had to wear some sort of special make up. "it was pretty rough, I had to sit in a chair for 2 hours."

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

It's annoying when a character is holding someone at gun point and they are standing really close together so they are both in the same shot. So close that the person just grabs the gun away. Stop taking advantage of the blocking. That's like a character hiding behind the camera man in a gun fight.

Last page but Kiss Kiss Bang Bang has a fantastic take on this. Actually, that movie is just fantastic and everyone should watch it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dr_Amazing posted:

The real actor is the guy who stands at the front counter of MacDonalds everyday and tries to convince hundreds of people he's happy to see them. Totally fearless.

You do tend to see this stuff get exaggerated on dvd commentaries a lot. My favorite is anytime an actor had to wear some sort of special make up. "it was pretty rough, I had to sit in a chair for 2 hours."

While I do have enormous respect for the actors and other people working in the film industry, yeah this. Whenever I hear actors talk about some gruelling challenge I just think "Millions of dollars, millions of dollars, millions of dollars."

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

On the flip side it would get old REAL quick if every behind the scenes description ended with a salute to the soldiers or a humblebrag jesus shout out.

This part here, look at that. You're thinking edit in post right? Nope, every one of those scales was honest to god hand placed. Had to sit in a chair for 7 hours every morning in a latex body suit. Catheter was the worst part. I would have just held it but I had to be on an IV for fluids because the first day I passed right out from dehydration... but that's nothing compared to what our boys in Afghanistan must go through. I just thank jesus every day to be so blessed, you know?

gaaaaaag

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Actors getting any respect from anyone is a relatively recent phenomenon. They were the lowest of the low for a reason: they lie and they don't do any real work. Today, however, we have a lot of high-minded ideas about the nobility and the art of it all.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

cheerfullydrab posted:

Actors getting any respect from anyone is a relatively recent phenomenon. They were the lowest of the low for a reason

What

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Actors couldn't even get Christian funerals, because they were considered bad apples. Even high profile actors like Moliere couldn't get a decent burial, they only managed to discretely bury him in the lot reserved for unbaptized infants.

Have a wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excommunication_of_actors_by_the_Catholic_Church

Kurtofan has a new favorite as of 10:44 on Sep 18, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Actors couldn't even get Christian funerals, because they were considered bad apples. Even high profile actors like Moliere couldn't get a decent burial, they only managed to discretely bury him in the lot reserved for unbaptized infants.

Have a wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excommunication_of_actors_by_the_Catholic_Church

edit: wtf wrong thread sorry

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

Actors getting any respect from anyone is a relatively recent phenomenon. They were the lowest of the low for a reason: they lie and they don't do any real work. Today, however, we have a lot of high-minded ideas about the nobility and the art of it all.

Lower than the lowest menial laborer; it's crazy to meet people who idolize actors.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The end of The Cube is the dumbest laziest piece of bullshit and it completely ruins an otherwise entertaining movie. Somehow he just finds his way to the right room despite sucking at math and not being able to do the permutations in his head. Somehow nobody heard the hatch opening and isn't it lucky for psycho cop that dickface had his stupid existential moment right when they were home free. "Durr hurr, Im a movie writer I write for movies durrrrr we can't not do the you think the bad guy is dead but he comes back at the last moment thing durrrrr lets just put it in there despite it being completely balls to the wall absurd durr give me money to write movie words durrrrrr".

It's a rational complaint but it's irrational how much it pissed me off.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The end of The Cube is the dumbest laziest piece of bullshit and it completely ruins an otherwise entertaining movie. Somehow he just finds his way to the right room despite sucking at math and not being able to do the permutations in his head. Somehow nobody heard the hatch opening and isn't it lucky for psycho cop that dickface had his stupid existential moment right when they were home free. "Durr hurr, Im a movie writer I write for movies durrrrr we can't not do the you think the bad guy is dead but he comes back at the last moment thing durrrrr lets just put it in there despite it being completely balls to the wall absurd durr give me money to write movie words durrrrrr".

In his meltdown earlier in the movie the cop said that he would be able to survive in the Cube on his own, I just took the ending to mean that he was right. He was pretty messed up though, both physically and mentally so I always imagined that he just rampaged his way through any traps.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Grendels Dad posted:

In his meltdown earlier in the movie the cop said that he would be able to survive in the Cube on his own, I just took the ending to mean that he was right. He was pretty messed up though, both physically and mentally so I always imagined that he just rampaged his way through any traps.

He still has to find the loving path which as they went to great length to explain is not possible without either a calculator or the idiot savant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

He still has to find the loving path which as they went to great length to explain is not possible without either a calculator or the idiot savant.

Or by getting within one room of them, hearing them and coming after them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jedit posted:

Or by getting within one room of them, hearing them and coming after them.

I guess. It still strains credulity that he managed to wake up from being knocked out cold and having blood pour out of his head to climb up to the ceiling hatch and follow them. He also had time to unscrew one of the levers.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was way more annoyed that Cube 2: Hypercube! gave away the big reveal in the goddamn title.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was way more annoyed that Cube 2: Hypercube! gave away the big reveal in the goddamn title.

What reveal was that?

I hated C2:H because the idea presented by the first one, where the cube wasn't built by anyone in particular and was kind of a headless project that arose out of nowhere, was weird and interesting. C2 tosses that out and is like "it was the government. Of course it was the government. I mean, duh."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The fact that it was a "hypercube."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

If you think about it, going through the cube randomly not knowing the prime numbers has a chance to put you pretty much anywhere. At the end of the film there's a key moment where they stumble upon the corpse of one of the dudes who died earlier, meaning they were kinda 'going in circles' with the way the cubes move.

Could have just been pure chance.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Eh, not sure that's really a "big reveal", don't some of the characters guess that's what is going on pretty drat early in the film?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, not sure that's really a "big reveal", don't some of the characters guess that's what is going on pretty drat early in the film?

I think they did, and that's what irrationally irritated me about it. Because of course the characters in the sequel have to figure out the truth quicker and more thoroughly than the characters in the first movie because the audience already knows. Then the third movie starts with the Cube's janitors and everything turns even shittier.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zaphod42 posted:

If you think about it, going through the cube randomly not knowing the prime numbers has a chance to put you pretty much anywhere. At the end of the film there's a key moment where they stumble upon the corpse of one of the dudes who died earlier, meaning they were kinda 'going in circles' with the way the cubes move.

Could have just been pure chance.

It could have been a lot of things. God could have stepped in a teleported him their because it was all part of his divine plan and just so far beyond our comprehension. What actually happened though is they thought the plot needed it and so they shoehorned it in.

Oh for fucks sake I just rewatched the scene. In every single other scene even the one with the sound sensitive room opening a door makes a loud noise. Except in this one where it's completely silent. Worth is looking in her direction the entire time except for a few seconds where he stares off musing about boundless human stupidity. He's looking in her direction when she gets shanked. The cop is Batman. I will not be swayed, the ending is poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

It could have been a lot of things. God could have stepped in a teleported him their because it was all part of his divine plan and just so far beyond our comprehension. What actually happened though is they thought the plot needed it and so they shoehorned it in.

The gently caress are you babbling about? God? :psyduck: The gently caress did that come from.

"You could wander through the maze randomly and end up where somebody else was" isn't the same as "well GOD COULD JUST TELEPORT YOU" :jerkbag:

He's looking in her direction when she gets shanked. The cop is Batman. I will not be swayed, the ending is poo poo.

That's fair criticism though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What was the point of all that exposition about that Darkseid guy in Guardians of the Galaxy? We learn all this stuff about him, green woman, and blue woman, second-hand and very little of it comes to play in the movie. I wish some stories would only tell us poo poo as it becomes relevant, and not devote screentime to a guy who has gently caress all to do for another couple movies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What was the point of all that exposition about that Darkseid guy in Guardians of the Galaxy? We learn all this stuff about him, green woman, and blue woman, second-hand and very little of it comes to play in the movie. I wish some stories would only tell us poo poo as it becomes relevant, and not devote screentime to a guy who has gently caress all to do for another couple movies.

That he was the catalyst of the entire movie. He ordered Ronan to get the gem setting off the plot. He is also the father of Gamora and the blue chick.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

cheerfullydrab posted:

The ancient greeks were pretty into their plays and it was a respected pass time from my recollection.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

"You could wander through the maze randomly and end up where somebody else was" isn't the same as "well GOD COULD JUST TELEPORT YOU" :jerkbag:

Well I dunno thats the plot of Quantum Leap and that show was p rad so ...

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ryoshi posted:

What reveal was that?

I hated C2:H because the idea presented by the first one, where the cube wasn't built by anyone in particular and was kind of a headless project that arose out of nowhere, was weird and interesting. C2 tosses that out and is like "it was the government. Of course it was the government. I mean, duh."

Neither of the Cube sequels understood the point of the first. Hypercube had a brilliant concept for a sequel, but its execution was terrible. Zero was just all around poo poo.

Wasn't Lionsgate supposed to be rebooting the franchise?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hypercube rules if only for that part where a dude falls into one room then immediately comes out another door, aged, with an armful of watches.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The gently caress are you babbling about? God? :psyduck: The gently caress did that come from.
Did you watch the 3rd movie?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

The ancient greeks were pretty into their plays and it was a respected pass time from my recollection.

Eh, they may have been above the dung-heapers socially but they were still pretty much treated as day laborers. Half of them had to dress up as women, remember.
Its not like modern celebrities.

They were enjoyed but the upper class had vastly more wealth and basically threw them pennies when they got bored to make them dance for them.

There may have been some respected ones though, probably more Orators / Epic poets like Homer. And I think a few gladiators got kinda famous, but definitely not all.

Still, acting was pretty looked down on in history.

ianmacdo posted:

Did you watch the 3rd movie?

We were talking about the plot to the 1st movie, so I don't see why arguing something about the 3rd movie would really be relevant even if that's what he meant.

The first matrix movie totally sucks because of all that poo poo that happens in the third movie. :cheeky:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

sticklefifer posted:

Neither of the Cube sequels understood the point of the first.

I haven't seen the film since I saw chunks of it on Sci-fi in the 90s. What was the point? I thought it was "people are trapped in a murderbox; drama ensues."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lotish posted:

I haven't seen the film since I saw chunks of it on Sci-fi in the 90s. What was the point? I thought it was "people are trapped in a murderbox; drama ensues."

I haven't watched it in ages but I always thought that the "point" was something like "even in a seemingly organized, completely controlled environment with strict rules, bad poo poo is unavoidable and often seems bafflingly random".

E: and that brains can't solve everything and that everyone has value or something idk

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Sep 18, 2015

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
A man is eating food in a diner. Ben Kingsley walks up to him and shows him spooky photos. The first man tells Ben Kingsley that he's hosed up. Ben Kingsley watches as the man leaves the diner. The man gets directly into his car and drives off. The camera focuses on the man driving. Half of the shot is focused on the back seat. "No," I say to myself, "they aren't going to do it. There is no way the director is going to ask us to believe Ben Kingsley snuck into the back seat." But he did, and Ben Kingsley delivers a super badass line of dialogue just so we know what a truely terrifying badass he is.

This was the first scene of "Suspect Zero." It was as far as I could get.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hey, if the guy agreed to just crack the drat safe he wouldn't have that problem.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Cornuto posted:

A man is eating food in a diner. Ben Kingsley walks up to him and shows him spooky photos. The first man tells Ben Kingsley that he's hosed up. Ben Kingsley watches as the man leaves the diner. The man gets directly into his car and drives off. The camera focuses on the man driving. Half of the shot is focused on the back seat. "No," I say to myself, "they aren't going to do it. There is no way the director is going to ask us to believe Ben Kingsley snuck into the back seat." But he did, and Ben Kingsley delivers a super badass line of dialogue just so we know what a truely terrifying badass he is.

This was the first scene of "Suspect Zero." It was as far as I could get.

There was a scene in that new Dracula is a Superman movie where a guy tosses Dracula's wife off a tower and then kidnaps his son and heads down the tower stairs. Dracula uses his badass superman powers to fly down there like a bat and catches her and then lands on the ground. He lands just in time to see the guy riding off with his son in the distance.

The guy made it down the stairs and rode away faster than Dracula could fall the same distance down.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The thing that annoyed me most about Cube 2 was that the idea of the hypercube having an 'expiration date' and all you need to do is wait it out doesn't really gel with the idea that time moves differently in different areas and you can age ten years simply be going through the wrong series of rooms.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ElGroucho posted:

Lower than the lowest menial laborer; it's crazy to meet people who idolize actors.

Pretty much. You think that Kings and Queens gave a poo poo about what their jesters were doing with their free time? What was happening with the jester's family or relationships? The amount of personal investment people have in certain actors, the feelings they have for them, is insane. They're a bunch of performing animals doing tricks for your amusement, that's it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nutsngum posted:

The ancient greeks were decadent homosexuals except for the spartans who were warlike homosexuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Cornuto posted:

There is no way the director is going to ask us to believe Ben Kingsley snuck into the back seat."

As if Ben Kingsley could sneak anywhere without the sound of his knees popping giving him away. That man takes the weirdest drat roles.