Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Giant Goober posted:

The white socks are the socks they gave me, the other socks are what I'd normally wear. Ricky Fowler orange laces probably didn't help. It was at one of the top courses in Australia and I should have known better and bothered to check the dress regulations.

Shorts are fantastic for golf especially paired with boxers and a good breeze, keeps everything cool.

This is really confusing and I think whoever was working the course that day was trying to be a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Man, they would hate me then...

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Hey are any of you guys in the Atlanta area, cause I might have a film shoot coming there that needs Amateur golfers to hit balls against a pro :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

Hey are any of you guys in the Atlanta area, cause I might have a film shoot coming there that needs Amateur golfers to hit balls against a pro :)
Me me!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

I uhh could be there in like what, 4 hours?? :)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Can't make any promises, but my producer for the job I'm on said it's her next job in the pipeline. Atlanta area, in the sept 27-28 time range.

A-loving-list golfer for sure too. I'll bug her some more about it. I have half a mind to pay for myself to fly from LA to join in haha.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

Can't make any promises, but my producer for the job I'm on said it's her next job in the pipeline. Atlanta area, in the sept 27-28 time range.

A-loving-list golfer for sure too. I'll bug her some more about it. I have half a mind to pay for myself to fly from LA to join in haha.

I can be free those days!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Your film better include the "BALLS HEH" balls :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Look what finally showed up 3 weeks after I ordered it:

It has a white weight instead of the standard red because I extended my 915 D3 to 45.5", which came with the standard red weight. So I'll take the white one from this and put it in my driver, and the red one from my driver and put it in this, and everything should be the right swing weight.

Well, not exactly. I ordered this 1/2" long just in case I need to tip it a little. If not, I can just cut off the extra 1/2". Hell, I could just choke up on it and keep the extra 1/2" for when I need a little extra to reach a par 5 in 2.

Also, I ordered it with the grip off because you all should be regripping your own clubs. :colbert:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

DJExile posted:

Your film better include the "BALLS HEH" balls :colbert:

Pretty sure it's a commercial for not Callaway so that probably wouldn't fly haha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

Pretty sure it's a commercial for not Callaway so that probably wouldn't fly haha

weeeeeaaaaaaaaaaak (real talk that's really cool though)

aaaaa oh my god look at that big fluffy tail yo :yayclod:

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

DJExile posted:

weeeeeaaaaaaaaaaak (real talk that's really cool though)

aaaaa oh my god look at that big fluffy tail yo :yayclod:

Seems like he should have ordered Tailormade :haw:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This game is the most cruel one to ever exist. Last 2 rounds following the 100 streak was 102 then 98. Each round had a new thing fall apart while something else worked better than ever.

One of those rounds was with my brother and his friend, who has been golfing for just a little over a year. Brother and I both shot 102, he shot 83. His driver shots were in the ~320 range and his accuracy was ridiculous. I wanted to puke. And maybe go all Tanya Harding on his knees for making me feel so loving bad at the game. :smith:

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Guys. Guys. Guysguysguys.

My FL vacation starts in a week and a half. Productivity at work is at an all-time low. :dance:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Guys. Guys. Guysguysguys.

My FL vacation starts in a week and a half. Productivity at work is at an all-time low. :dance:

Where abouts in Florida? I'm in central so if you need a golf buddy for a day lemme know :)

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
I have something new to share! I bought my 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter an iron and putter each. I got them from US Kids Golf. It's hard to tell from the pic just how small the clubs are, but my daughters putter is only 22.5". Her iron is a starter club with oversized head and molded grip. Meanwhile, I still haven't used my new putter (I have been hitting a bucket of balls once a week or so).

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

mattfl posted:

Where abouts in Florida? I'm in central so if you need a golf buddy for a day lemme know :)

Orlando. My golf schedule isn't firm yet (other than all-weekday golf), but the courses I'm going to be playing are:
New Course at Cypress Villas
Royal St Cloud
Disney's Magnolia
Falcon's Fire
either Mystic Dunes or Disney's Lake Buena Vista or Palm.

I'm going to be there with 2 other folks from my golf club, so we totally have room for a 4th.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Orlando. My golf schedule isn't firm yet (other than all-weekday golf), but the courses I'm going to be playing are:
New Course at Cypress Villas
Royal St Cloud
Disney's Magnolia
Falcon's Fire
either Mystic Dunes or Disney's Lake Buena Vista or Palm.

I'm going to be there with 2 other folks from my golf club, so we totally have room for a 4th.

Royal St Cloud is awesome, play there a lot, and probably the cheapest course you're gonna play :)

For sure let me know if you guys need a 4th and if I'm available I'm down. When it gets closer to your vaca we can exchange emails or whatever.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Cross-post from SA Mart. If anyone needs any golf supplies from Carl's I'm selling a $100 gift card for $85.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742194

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

1.5 hours and we're still on 6 tee. FML.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

1.5 hours and we're still on 6 tee. FML.

hooooly poo poo :stare:

have you called a ranger?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

hooooly poo poo :stare:

have you called a ranger?
No point. The course is just backed up.

3.5 hours to 12 tee.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 18, 2015

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yeah days like that can suck, sometimes it's still fun though if you're with a good group of people.

Conversely, I teed off by myself at 8:09 on a course near me that I've never played before and played through the 4 guys in front of me on the first green, finished my round at 10:45. That was fairly slow too because of several factors- the fog was so thick on the first few holes that I had to just hit a 5 iron off the tee and guess where it ended up based on the yardage markers in the fairway. I also lost a few balls because I hit the wrong club off the tee on several holes... The score card and hole markers only had yardages, no layouts or maps at all. I was also dodging some sprinklers on the back 9. All in all it was a pretty decent course though so I'm thinking I'll play it again before long. Some of the longer par 4s and one of the par 5s don't let you hit a draw off the tee though which always irritates me a bit. A narrow 420 yard par 4 from the white tees is already a bitch of a hole for most people, making me hit a 9 iron and leaving myself 250+ to the green is just dumb. I've been working on hitting fades but I still can't do it reliably enough to risk an OB tee shot unless I'm playing in a scramble or something.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So apparently Tiger had another back surgery this week and is now out until sometime in 2016.

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/09/18/tiger-woods-microdiscectomy-surgery.html

I honestly think he's pretty close to being done, his body just can't hold up like it used too and he's wrecked too much of it to continue to play the way he used to.

The new generation right now is so awesome I'm not even that sad.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mattfl posted:

So apparently Tiger had another back surgery this week and is now out until sometime in 2016.

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/09/18/tiger-woods-microdiscectomy-surgery.html

I honestly think he's pretty close to being done, his body just can't hold up like it used too and he's wrecked too much of it to continue to play the way he used to.

The new generation right now is so awesome I'm not even that sad.

He swings way to hard for a 40 year old.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I've been busting my rear end the last couple of days and just turned on the TV. Jason Day is 20 under, 6 under the next closest player. Jesus christ is this man on a heater

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ribsauce posted:

I've been busting my rear end the last couple of days and just turned on the TV. Jason Day is 20 under, 6 under the next closest player. Jesus christ is this man on a heater

Seeing him hit an iron when he's 265 from the pin is just disgusting.

There was a pretty big tournament going on today at my home course but I decided to play anyway; I played four balls per hole and still had time to practice chipping on every hole. I got to witness some blatant cheating though... The group in front of me was terrible and on the long drive hole none of them hit their drives more than 200 yards. But one of them drives up to the sheet and writes his name down and plops it down 5 yards farther than it had been. I'm standing on the tee watching this all happen. It's a wide open ~320 yard straightaway par 4 that is slightly uphill. After the group gets on the green I go ahead and hit my shots and play the hole. I was going to wait on the next tee and tell a different group what happened but one of the guys behind me hit a great drive 10 yards past where the cheater stuck the marker so I didn't have to get involved.

I ended up calling it quits after playing 15 holes in around 4 hours (but playing the equivalent of like 3 rounds since I was hitting so many balls) and asked the owner what the prize was for the long drive... 2 free rounds at the course. That's like a $50 prize since the fall special rates are active now. And some guys who obviously rarely golfed were going to cheat to win it when everyone who knows them probably knows there's no way they hit a drive ~280. Gentleman's game indeed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suzann Pettersen trolled the gently caress out of the Americans in the Solheim Cup

On the one hand, yeah you shouldn't assume poo poo in play like this, but on the other this seems kinda bush league

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

U.S. still pulled out the win though, biggest comeback ever. Some really really clutch shots and it came right down to the wire, very enjoyable to watch.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

U.S. still pulled out the win though, biggest comeback ever. Some really really clutch shots and it came right down to the wire, very enjoyable to watch.
Yeah, Europe really should have won and this will be seen as some kind of karmic justice.

Really though, Suzanne Petterson is just kind of a dick.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Feherty going to NBC. He and Johnny Miller should get on like a house on fire.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Dont mess this up jason!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Angry Asian posted:

Dont mess this up jason!

Never in doubt. What a legend.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
J-Day KILLDOZER. :australia:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I cannot wait to get consistent at ball striking. If I could ball strike as well as I putt I would almost be a scratch golfer (not really). I was on fire today. 25 footer, 15 footer from the fringe, and probably 5 10-15 footers.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

I cannot wait to get consistent at ball striking. If I could ball strike as well as I putt I would almost be a scratch golfer (not really). I was on fire today. 25 footer, 15 footer from the fringe, and probably 5 10-15 footers.

So you know what's gonna happen right. You'll have an amazing ball striking day but your putting will go to poo poo. It's some sort of rule that us normal people are not allowed to have both a good ball striking day and an awesome putting day!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Think I'm in love guys, anyone wanna spot me a grand for a set of Mizuno MP5 irons??

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

mattfl posted:

So you know what's gonna happen right. You'll have an amazing ball striking day but your putting will go to poo poo. It's some sort of rule that us normal people are not allowed to have both a good ball striking day and an awesome putting day!
Probably hah. From the first time I ever played golf I have been a decent putter. I got the Phil Mickelson DVD and now my chipping is pretty drat good too. It just takes me two times as many strokes as anyone else to get within 30 yards....from there I can hang with my buddies who shoot 80

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Think I'm in love guys, anyone wanna spot me a grand for a set of Mizuno MP5 irons??
I've got a better idea:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001