Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also EE owes a lot to that film. Definitely recommended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

In Training posted:

The only urusei yatsura I seen is the first two movies and it's enough to get the gist of the world and then understand why beautiful dreamer is so lovely

yah.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Beautiful Dreamer is a great place to go after Haruhi, and it can lead you to the rest of Oshiis stuff which is pretty essential

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

meanwhile I'm having a lot of fun with Sad Kyon

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

here's yuki's apartment from the show

and here's the real life equivalent

i wanna live there in an impossibly sparse white room

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

The only urusei yatsura I seen is the first two movies and it's enough to get the gist of the world and then understand why beautiful dreamer is so lovely

that's all you need, but the show itself is charming in a goofy way, even if you don't need to watch all 598 episodes

one of the first anime screens I ever took, from the pilot:

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Darley-Wilkinson posted:

in this show about miserable teenagers framed as incredibly tiny figures against huge bleak urban landscapes i think this is the tiniest anyone gets

this looks like it could be from an antonioni movie

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

small sad kyon is the best kyon

fuckin sparse hallyway there

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 19, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

this looks like it could be from an antonioni movie

hey and speaking of that shot have you figured out the baseball motif yet? hehe

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

no!!!! i seriously don't know and i refuse to believe that it's just because baseball is "boring" or w/e

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Darley-Wilkinson posted:

in this show about miserable teenagers framed as incredibly tiny figures against huge bleak urban landscapes i think this is the tiniest anyone gets

this was such a good catch I'm trying to make a 1080p version but my dumbass video player and tiny monitor aren't cooperating. oh well, someday.

haruhi wideshots :allears:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

people are like "so do you go with haruhi, mikuru or yuki?" and I'm like "whoever is smallest and saddest at the time"

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Radio Spiricom posted:

no!!!! i seriously don't know and i refuse to believe that it's just because baseball is "boring" or w/e

lol

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

jk of course it's yuki

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

i think the first time i liked yuki as a character was the permission scene in the computer game episode. she just got better from there

I'm surprised it took so long! I think there's definitely a time sometime in the course of S1 when Yuki transcends the Ayanami archetype but I would put it before Sagittarius. Although I have no idea when it is, it seems like a gradual thing

Sagittarius is huge for her though, no doubt

and of course from S2 on she basically steals the show (or she would if Kyon wasn't so loving good in Disappearance)

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 19, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zas posted:

people are like "so do you go with haruhi, mikuru or yuki?" and I'm like "whoever is smallest and saddest at the time"

Zas posted:

jk of course it's yuki

I mean there are very few points in this show where she is not the smallest and saddest member of the cast

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

Zas posted:

this was such a good catch I'm trying to make a 1080p version but my dumbass video player and tiny monitor aren't cooperating. oh well, someday.

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii
i resized it the first time cause i figured i shouldnt post something that enormous lol

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

actually I think the hallways are my favorite character, at least in my slow revisiting of disappearance scanning for frames

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Darley-Wilkinson posted:

i resized it the first time cause i figured i shouldnt post something that enormous lol

nah this thread is all about the table breaking, especially for shots like that where the tiny details are big.

thank you very much.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zas posted:

I will say, as far as Kyon himself goes, I will say I'm kind of surprised in retrospect that he has the least chemistry with Mikuru out of all three, and I don't think it's even that close. It might have been close pre-Disappearance, but definitely not after, and his relationship with Yuki is probably closer to his relationship with Haruhi (who is obviously written as being all but Kyon's soulmate) than it is with Mikuru. Not that Kyon doesn't have chemistry or any tender moments with Mikuru, of course, but it's mostly been Kyon admiring her appearance or going "WOW SHE LOOKS GREAT IN THAT COSTUME/AS AN ADULT", which kind of pales in comparison to the destiny-level stuff he has going with Haruhi or those super-tender moments he has with Yuki in disappearance (or even smaller moments where he's actively empathizing with her like in Saggitarius). Of course, Mikuru isn't helped in this regard by being a fairly static character compared to Haruhi or Yuki, which kind of limits the opportunities Kyon actually has to have those tender moments with her.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

hey finally figured it out, in case anyone prefers a version without the text (1/2dozen to 1, 6 to other)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it's interesting that mikuru's development is entirely off stage, because it's tremendous (from anxiety disorder case to badass adult) but you're right, both characters as they exist in the show are mostly static

who knows how their relationship might've developed if mikuru wasn't so concerned about acting in a haruhi-sanctioned way

and of course, there's always the possibility that there was a sliver (no more than that) of truth in koizumi's 'joke' on the bridge in sigh

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 19, 2015

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Mikuru starts getting a bit more focus in the next few novels after disappearance, as time travel starts to come more to the front of some conflicts. However, she remains a mostly passive participant in those events, increasingly amazed at how much more clearance Kyon seems to have than she does when it comes to getting poo poo done with her bosses. Among the SOS brigade members, she definitely has the least amount of moments where she is the one who saves the day and ends up playing damsel in distress a couple times.

Adult Mikuru though continues to be a major player behind the scenes, and Kyon starts becoming increasingly distrustful of her due to how in the dark she keeps her younger self.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Kyon sees both Mikurus when he's passing out, right? It seems like from previous stuff that the two aren't supposed to interact, but I guess that was a special case

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Parallax posted:

Kyon sees both Mikurus when he's passing out, right? It seems like from previous stuff that the two aren't supposed to interact, but I guess that was a special case

Adult Mikuru immediately put young Mikuru to sleep after that scene. Young Mikuru never got a clear look at adult Mikuru because she immediately panicked when she saw Kyon get stabbed. But yeah, a big part of Mikuru's character is she feels useless all the time and no one tells her anything.

Course, the story implies Kyon could tell her and change the entire future, which terrifies the time traveler faction.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

it's been said, but god drat is there a lot of reflective stuff in this movie

yeah

it even has cool fanart of it

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

badasss

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

hey finally figured it out, in case anyone prefers a version without the text (1/2dozen to 1, 6 to other)

I want to frame this and hang it on my wall

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No! Put it down Haruhi!

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

weed is illegal in japan

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

has the person who drew that ever held a bowl before??? lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

lol my va, my hookup

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
How much longer would you like this thread stickied for, In Training?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

How much longer would you like this thread stickied for, In Training?

until he does his homework

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

(specifically the ee essay)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'll probably watch the Endless Eight on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday and post about it ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

linnaeus you still crankin out the gifs or did imgur break your spirit?

• Locked thread