Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Poor effort Sydney, though it's pretty hosed that they have to play their final at this turd of a ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

So just to put the preposterous nature of Boomer Harvey in perspective:

Adam Simpson was drafter in 1993. He debuted in 1995. He played in the 1996 and 1999 North Melbourne premiership teams. He retired in 2009, was an assistant at Hawthorn from 2010 to 2014, at which point he became the West Coast head coach.

Brent Harvey was drafted in 1995. He's still loving going.

Basically, Adam Simpson's entire professional football career fits into the same time period as Brent Harvey's playing career.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Deadly Hume posted:

1. keeps more teams interested until the end of the season.
2. Still a four week finals series (I eliminated double chances in lieu of a bye for the top teams)

Sorry, I had an attack of illiteracy.

I guess more teams are interested, but alternatively you may just have a couple of even less interesting finals.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
He's absolutely going to blitz Tuck's record, which was unthinkable for a while in the '00s when it seemed very few players' careers would extend into the 30s because of the physicality required.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sorry, I had an attack of illiteracy.

I guess more teams are interested, but alternatively you may just have a couple of even less interesting finals.
Yeah, I should make myself clear, this is a stupid idea (because a ten teams finals series is generally a stupid idea). But it's the least stupid idea involving ten teams I can think of.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
good effort from North to get so far, shame that they will get smashed next week

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Battle of the Banjo's with North prevailing.

The Deadly Hume posted:

He's absolutely going to blitz Tuck's record, which was unthinkable for a while in the '00s when it seemed very few players' careers would extend into the 30s because of the physicality required.

He plays like he's "only" played 200.

The Deadly Hume posted:

1. keeps more teams interested until the end of the season.
2. Still a four week finals series (I eliminated double chances in lieu of a bye for the top teams)

Do you think the 17-5 system would be an easier way to fix the dead game issue?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

How did Norf make another prelim anyway. Over/under on them getting beaten by 100 points next week?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Between this, the refugees banner last week, and no pokies yore making it harder to hate you Norf, stop it

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
A repeat of what happened last time West Coast played North in a final would be nice

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Spedman posted:

Do you think the 17-5 system would be an easier way to fix the dead game issue?
It miiiight. My main issue with it is more to do with the uncertain fixturing (especially if you have teams who have played 4-5 of their group opponents at home and would conceivably have to play those return fixtures away in the run to the finals). But there's definitely a few good aspects to it as well.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 19, 2015

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Doctor Cave posted:

A repeat of what happened last time West Coast played North in a final would be nice

I somehow don't think a 96 point win is on the cards.
But hey, West Coast - if you're reading this - feel free to prove me wrong.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

It miiiight. My main issue with it is more to do with the uncertain fixturing (especially if you have teams who have played 4-5 of their group opponents at home and would conceivably have to play those return fixture away in the run home). But there's definitely a few good aspects to it as well.

I think with having teams literally spread across a continent with genuine home ground/travel advantages you'll never get rid of uncertain fixturing unless you play each other twice every season, I think it's the best compromise. You may have to bring in rules that the teams that have to travel every second week get a home game last round, just incase you end up with say Freo having to travel 3+ times in the last five games for example.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Crap game, more relieved that boo-gate won't continue next week than anything.

Bus reservation confirmed, looking forward to pissing into coke bottles while rubbing shoulders with mates for 36 hours. If norf somehow turn into twice the footy side that was out there tonight we'll send Scott the bill.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

masterpine posted:

Crap game, more relieved that boo-gate won't continue next week than anything.

Bus reservation confirmed, looking forward to pissing into coke bottles while rubbing shoulders with mates for 36 hours. If norf somehow turn into twice the footy side that was out there tonight we'll send Scott the bill.
Man. At least pack a few clean shirts.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Goodes is pulling the pin.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
Dreadful game. None of the swans usual intensity or pressure.

Goodes kicked the first and last goal, crowd went nuts for the last one - I think most of us guessed it would be his last kick.

Shame the north fans still booed him whenever he touched the ball.

No Goodes, Shaw and Jetta next year, swans don't have much depth and still can't trade in anyone worth more than $450k. Going to be a tough few years.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Proper legend of the game during the mid 00's when Sydney and West Coast had that ridiculous run of low margin games and both got the Premiership. Shame it all ends with the last couple of years.

Sydney remain a pretty good footy team, the trade cap doesn't really hurt too much when you've already got the cream. A few utility pick-ups over the break and they'll still be hanging around the top of the ladder.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Goodes is the best utility player ever.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
REALLY hoping North pull in a win against wet toast next week so I have someone to barrack for in the grand final.

Eagles can suck my sack, Lyon can perish in a chemical fire and gently caress the hawks winning it again.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Solemn Sloth posted:

Goodes is the best utility player ever.

This. Aside from everything, he's a genuine legend of the game.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I wish Goodes had had the opportunity to have a send off in the style of Lenny Hayes'.

Now that's not realistic in the modern day thanks to "HES NOTWHITE! HE SHOVES HIS NOTWHITENESS IN OUR FACE!", but it's a shame. Fantastic career, fantastic out of career accomplishments.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm actually glad that Sydney lost this week, I would hate for his final game to be against West Coast considering what happened last time & last week.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

It's a phrase that gets used too often, but Adam Goodes is a true ornament to the game.

As in he is someone that the game should look at and go "look at him! listen to him! He is doing good things"

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I suspect he might be lost to the game for good now.

Speaking of sneaking suspiciouns, does anyone else think that Freo are now so overrested that they will be badly out of touch come Friday night?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

hiddenmovement posted:

Speaking of sneaking suspiciouns, does anyone else think that Freo are now so overrested that they will be badly out of touch come Friday night?

the bookies certainly think so

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
http://fat.gfycat.com/ParchedIdioticDogwoodtwigborer.mp4

:gonk:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

lol theyre doing a longest kick comp on grand final day :getin:

I think its being run by fox footy though and there won't be a contestant for every team

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Ouch

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Goodes has said he's not going to do any official functions for the rest of the season, ie GF, Brownlow etc.

I think the rest will do McPharlin, Fyfe and Pav the world of good, the rest of the side, who knows.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

It'll be a tricky game partly because Freo's gameplan is tailored so well to their home ground.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Let's all read Robert Walls' opinions about coaching! (He even sticks in a dig at the old west coast side!)

Good person, ordinary coach: John Worsfold.

Coaches come and coaches go. Reputations rise and fall. Newbies Adam Simpson and Luke Beveridge are riding high while Damien Hardwick and Nathan Buckley are under the pump.

A year ago, Ken Hinkley was the best thing since sliced bread, Mick Malthouse was on the threshold of breaking a long-standing coaching record, James Hird was keen to resume after serving a one-year suspension, and Rodney Eade was full of sunny optimism. For all four, the last 12 months has turned sour. It's a fickle business, this coaching.

It appears that Essendon and Adelaide, the teams yet to appoint a senior coach for 2016, have their sights set on former Eagles coach John Worsfold.

A week ago, Mark Ricciuto, who presents as the football powerbroker for the Crows, gave a radio interview where he gave stand-in coach Scott Camporeale very little support at all. He said interim coaches often failed when appointed to a full-time position and was quick to cite Port Adelaide's Matthew Primus as an example.

I thought it was disrespectful and insensitive to Camporeale, who has done a fine job leading the Crows in difficult circumstances. There is no doubt Ricciuto is paving the way for Worsfold to be the Crows' next senior coach.

Essendon, who don't do much right, flew to Adelaide in a private jet two weeks ago to talk with Worsfold. On board was their chairman, CEO, captain and wannabe captain. Why Worsfold entertained such a high-profile visit at that time of the Crows' season is hard to comprehend.

Brendan McCartney never got the chance to 'put the icing on the cake'.

Now Worsfold is an interesting case study. As a player he was very good. As a captain he was inspirational. As a person they say few are better, but as a coach I think he was ordinary.

In 11 years as senior coach of one of the best-resourced clubs in the country, and with the best ever centre square combination (Cox, Cousins, Kerr, Judd) he finished with one premiership (by a point) and a 53 per cent winning rate.

It was also on his watch that a drug culture festered that ultimately ruined the club's reputation. The people in high places at the Eagles at the time will always question whether enough was done to control a dangerous situation.

When Worsfold left, the team sat 13th on the ladder. Now, less than two years later, with a progressive new coach, the Eagles are flag favourites.

If you want a conservative man-on-man game plan, then Worsfold can deliver, and maybe that suits Essendon at the moment. If you want fast football flair and modern defensive spread, which I believe the Crows are capable of, I doubt Worsfold's the answer.

His niche is the role he has been undertaking at the Crows and that is overseeing and mentoring the young coaching staff.

Another name that has surfaced as a possible Essendon coach is Brendan McCartney. Now this is a man the Bombers should seriously consider.

McCartney spent 11 seasons as an assistant coach at Geelong. It was during this period they rose to power. It was McCartney who developed the talents of young men who became champions in a champion team. Jimmy Bartel, Gary Ablett, James Kelly, Steve Johnson, Paul Chapman, et al, all speak glowingly of him.

In 2011, he assisted James Hird in his first year as senior coach at Essendon. The players loved him. He then took on the senior role at the Western Bulldogs. It was a tough ask. The list was askew. Not enough players in their prime presented a problem. Too many were too old or too young.

McCartney looked to the future and played kids. In three seasons, 16 youngsters debuted under him. He put tough demands on them and started to set high standards as he knows what's required to build a premiership team.

Problem was, some of the oldies couldn't cope. They started to bitch and the younger ones became affected too. Macca was too tough, too defensive. It's no fun anymore, they whinged.

When the captain walked out, the club panicked. McCartney, who had a couple of years on contract, read the play and fell on his sword for the good of the cause.

This year the Bulldogs have thrived. What shouldn't be forgotten is that McCartney put the first 60 games into the likes of Luke Dahlhaus, Tory Dickson, Jason Johannisen, Jake Stringer, Mitch Wallis and Jack Macrae. He taught them to be competitive, to win contests in close, skills that would have broadened their football education. But he never got a chance to put the icing on the cake.

Two coaches who will go into the final year of their contracts in 2016 are Hardwick and Buckley. Neither Richmond nor Collingwood should feel obliged to extend their tenure.

Some will argue that it didn't help Carlton and Malthouse who went into the exact same position earlier this year. But there is a difference. And that is, both Hardwick and Buckley are not as selfish or insecure as Malthouse was, and will put their club's interest ahead of their own.

If the Tigers can't win a final in Hardwick's seventh season, it may well be time for a change. For Buckley, his fifth season could make or break him as a coach. He has had four years to turn his list over. It is time to have a consistently strong season. No longer can second half of the season capitulations be accepted.

If the Pies and Tigers win a final next year, then both coaches should get two-year extensions.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

i never thought worsfold was a particularly good game day coach, but i never thought robert walls was a particularly smart commentator.

trying to point out that 'less than 2 years after he handed over the team they are flag favourites!' is not a criticism robert, its actually a compliment. woosha oversaw a rebuild of the side after the premiership, everyone knows that

most of the players in the team right now were drafted under his watch

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 20, 2015

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

snaeksikn posted:

lol theyre doing a longest kick comp on grand final day :getin:

I think its being run by fox footy though and there won't be a contestant for every team

this is just so fletcher gets a real send off isnt it

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Having fallen out of love with AFL I don't post in here, but Robert Walls has bought me alive, that guy is such a garbage dealer of a journalist

He seems like the kind of person that has 0 friends in the wider football community. Also he walked into a premiership level team at Carlton (and was still fired not long after winning a flag) and his coaching record aside from that is absolutely horrendous

He is the Brad Hardie of premiership winning coaches, the shittiest by a long way

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
It takes a lovely coach to know a lovely coach I guess

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
McCartney would be a good pick for any club needing a coach.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Robert Walls is still bitter Adelaide killed his coaching career

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Robodog posted:

this is just so fletcher gets a real send off isnt it

almost certainly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

pkid posted:

McCartney would be a good pick for any club needing a coach.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope

• Locked thread