Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Are we posting obscure races now? AWESOME

IMSA SuperCars at Pikes Peak <---- This was a points paying round of the championship.

Big Block dirt modifieds at New Jersey Motorsports Park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

IMSA SuperCars at Pikes Peak <---- This was a points paying round of the championship.

That is loving ridiculous, taking basically what amounts to GT cars, sticking them on bridgestone road tires and sending them up Pikes Peak and running it for points.

This owns. :getin:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

WindyMan posted:

And now, for something completely different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_-j5rYK5Rc

This is amazing

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
LMAO the Dodge Stealth was used as a GT car?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

All of these videos posted have been fantastic. All of them.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Are we posting obscure races now? AWESOME

Big Block dirt modifieds at New Jersey Motorsports Park

Oh gently caress, do they run that as a series at NJMP? "Cause I'd totally go.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They might, I'm not sure. That was a test session maybe 6 or 7 years ago.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tudor from COTA on FS2. I hate its Laguna Seca-ripoff frontstretch.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cota bad.

e: also I sorta expected the Ligier to check out cause of this track but no so much.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 19, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Gogogogogo...Go...GOGOGOGO...Come on, John...GOGOGO...Go go..." with a close-up of the "#BadAssWilson" tail on the 60 may be one of the more useless things I've seen in a race broadcast.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Do you guys know if there a way to watch the WEC race today on a Roku if I don't have cable? I know they sell a per race online stream but I don't know how to easily get that from my PC to my living room.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Some of the Sheep posted:

They did weird things in motorsport back in the day didn't they:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoh8i0jfpTo

This was the poo poo when they aired this regularly, they also raced with caravans and other dumb things, I'll see if i can find my playlist of this.(It's from a dutch show called Ter land Ter zee and in de Lucht, they ran these as specials.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I guess the curse of Mark Webber has carried over to the WEC.

e: I guess it was the other Porsche, not Webber's that had that problem.

gret fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 20, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Why is literally everyone running COTA this weekend?

Why does anyone run COTA ever?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Ah crap I assumed WEC was Sunday :suicide:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Cota is gonna be the last full featured raceway built in the US for a long, long time so it's probably best to enjoy it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I got to do some hot laps of the track yesterday morning (just before 100+ Porsches drove around at walking speed). It's a fun track to drive, particularly the eases. I got so much rubber pickup (from the track) that I thought a tire was delaminating. 200 miles later (just drove the car back to DFW) the tires are still covered in poo poo.

Wasn't able to follow either the Conti or TUSC races as I was working for parts of them (should be some good race-related content on Ars soon), and the WEC race was pretty boring because the results were a foregone conclusion. Audi's hospitality suite was lovely though. Sure beat 2013 sweating in the sun and then last year drying off in the Velocity Lounge bar after getting soaked.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

This could really be posted in the NASCAR or IndyCar threads as well, but:

quote:

Max Papis ‏@maxpapis 1h1 hour ago
Planning to start a NEW career in Dirt with @WorldofOutlaws I LOVE 410 cars

I hope he's serious. Do it, Mad Max. :getin:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

This will intrigue you CBJ. WTR and Larbre from WEC are trying to form a GTE-Pro team using a Corvette with I'd have to say full factory support for the full 2016 WEC calendar with Ricky and maybe Jordan Taylor driving a full season... err depending on schedule conflicts.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/wayne-taylor-racing-larbre-working-on-corvette-gte-pro-effort-for-2016/

If you hear nothing by Halloween then the deal is dead in the water.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Awww yeah, first race of the new season in my rFactor league, we're running these for the next two months or so. That one is my personal ride.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I'm taking my 5 and 3 year old to a session of evening fuel car qualifying tomorrow night after their begging this week, as the NHRA is back in town. They will have ear plugs under their big noise cancelling ear mufflers. I'm either the greatest or worst dad, no in between. I'm hoping its the former and that I can soon look forward to building a JR dragster in the near future.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
Friday night qualifying under the lights is the best kind of Fuel qualifying. I watched them flying last weekend at Zmax. The Funny Cars are really flying now (we had several in the 3's)
I'd classify you under "best dad", but JR's will get expensive. My buddy's son is going from a 10 second car to a low 8 second car this winter and he's spending a ton. (1/8th mile) It blows my mind that his fifth grader is in a car almost as quick as my wrx.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

the_worm_ posted:

Friday night qualifying under the lights is the best kind of Fuel qualifying. I watched them flying last weekend at Zmax. The Funny Cars are really flying now (we had several in the 3's)
I'd classify you under "best dad", but JR's will get expensive. My buddy's son is going from a 10 second car to a low 8 second car this winter and he's spending a ton. (1/8th mile) It blows my mind that his fifth grader is in a car almost as quick as my wrx.

Yeah, the weather here in STL is fantastic right now and for the session tomorrow night should be in the low 70's with not much humidity.... i.e. home run time for the crew chiefs.

I'm hoping I can get a picture of my girls with Erica Enders as well :)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
My dad brought me to a race that started 56 unmuffled 468ci big blocks with no hearing protection

You qualify as best dad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I always used to go to the IMSA and IndyCar races with just ear plugs, kinda wished my dad had gotten the bigger protectors sometimes. No problems, just would've been more comfortable. Also, turbos in those days, so not as big an issue.

You definitely count as best dad in this case.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anyone else going to the Petit Le Mans in Braselton next week? I bought a 4 day superticket and camping pass so I'll be there for all of the racing. Apparently there's like 7 races during that 4-day event.

Also Ford considering Ford GT demo laps at Petit Le Mans

It's probably unlikely that they'll do more than a couple warm-up laps pre-race, if they do anything, but Petit will be the first chance anyone has to get close to the car, I'll be down in the pits and I'll upload lovely phone pics for you to see.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 25, 2015

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
http://www.scca.com/pages/runoffs-live-video?layout=iframe

SCCA Runoffs at Daytona, currently about to race spec Miatas on a damp track. Recipe for disaster? Probably.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That is a LOT of Miatas.

*edit*
Last lap pass on the outside for the lead. That was awesome.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 26, 2015

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Watching the fuel cars at night was an amazing experience. The kids loved it. In fact, when we were walking out a few pairs early to get a jump on traffic my 3 year old started crying she didn't want to leave the race cars. She had me take her near the line and watched a few from up there, licking at the air when she smelled the nitro. She is crazy. They went to bed clutching their toy dragsters. It was a good day.

Also, watching Beckman make a 3.94 run in person was pretty incredible. You get a much better appreciation when you see them wrangle the cars down the groove in person.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
"Violence" is the only way to describe it to people.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

orange juche posted:

Anyone else going to the Petit Le Mans in Braselton next week? I bought a 4 day superticket and camping pass so I'll be there for all of the racing. Apparently there's like 7 races during that 4-day event.

Also Ford considering Ford GT demo laps at Petit Le Mans

It's probably unlikely that they'll do more than a couple warm-up laps pre-race, if they do anything, but Petit will be the first chance anyone has to get close to the car, I'll be down in the pits and I'll upload lovely phone pics for you to see.

I'll be there, but race day only.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FAILURE posted:

I'll be there, but race day only.

Look at this grandstand sitting pleb :rolleyes:

E: nah just kidding if you're around the esses I'll probably be back there somewhere hugging the fence with completely inadequate ear protection. My ears are shot already from years of listening to jet engines at full afterburner so race cars are nbd.

Probably would still wear plugs to a fuel race though, but that's more to reduce physical pain from having your eardrums blown out.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 29, 2015

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

orange juche posted:

Look at this grandstand sitting pleb :rolleyes:

E: nah just kidding if you're around the esses I'll probably be back there somewhere hugging the fence with completely inadequate ear protection. My ears are shot already from years of listening to jet engines at full afterburner so race cars are nbd.

Probably would still wear plugs to a fuel race though, but that's more to reduce physical pain from having your eardrums blown out.

I'll primarily be in the PorschePlatz, but it's a long race and you should really watch it from everywhere.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I watched nitro cars two different times with no earplugs and I can hear fine. Your ears will ring for a few days, though. I was more uncomfortable in the days of unmuffled modifieds, at least you get long breaks of relative quiet at an NHRA event.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Coming to roads and a GT class near you:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Oh god that thing is ugly as gently caress

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

They're literally not going to sell a single one.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So I'm camped out by turn 5 if anyone is at Road Atlanta. Impromptu goonmeet if anyone's there?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Xisticide posted:

Coming to roads and a GT class near you:

I loved the PS1 era of driving games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Petit le mans is super loving wet so I'm stoked to watch. Also so thankful I know some web programming to dismantle the ads on the stream.

• Locked thread