Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
In Versus mode when you could see other players perspectives when dead, I did wonder why the AI players would suddenly focus on the ceiling or a distant wall, they were watching the player or AI controlled special infected behind them, as you said, its clever but utterly ruins any ambushes you set as the AI always knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Krinkle posted:

L4D and L4D2 were just kind of things you play through once and get bored by. I can't even imagine playing them over and over to the point where people not knowing what's up in a randomized rear end game annoy you. I don't think I ever survived the last tank punching you as you try to get on the helicopter/boat/bus mission and nobody gave me grief about it. I guess I got in and out before the regulars settled in.

In college playing it on the highest difficulty setting with three other people who were also unemployed, also didn't have class in the morning, and also bought adderall from my dealer made for some pretty good gaming nights. Since you could only take (at most) 5 hits, and got downed by one from behind, you actually had to rely on your team. Cool poo poo.

Playing with randoms on anything more than easy was about as fun as suicide, though.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I had one of my favourite multiplayer moments of all time playing L4D versus mode with a bunch of friends at a lan party. It was one of the earliest levels where the survivors have to get to the roof of an office building or hospital or something and early on there's this long hallway with offices to the left and windows opposite to the doors on the right. A friend had been giving me poo poo for being bad at games all day, and when I spawned as thw big guy that charges and grabs people in one of those offices I took my revenge. The moment he opened the door I took both of us right out the window. Never heard him swear that much before or since, it was glorious.

As for things dragging a game down, I'm recovering from minor surgery so I've been wasting time with roller coaster tycoon 3, which isn't as good as 2, probably because of the nostalgia factor, is a lot of fun now I've got the hang of landscaping and stuff. Still, the scenarios are too easy. Most of them are done without having to research new rides and stuff and often when I pass the lower requirements I get a useless boost to my research or more land available for purchase even though I've only used at most half the space I've started with. I'm halfway through the third expansion and so far only one or two levels have been mildly challenging.

Still the perfect activity while semi high on painkillers though.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Esroc posted:

There's an item called "bait" or somesuch that you can develop which draws animals when placed somewhere. I've never tried it, but I bet that can be used to facilitate this with a little effort. Find a bear, throw bait to lead it to an outpost, sit back and watch.

I might try it later and see if it works.

Good luck. I've seen three bears in over 100 hours. One was scripted for a sideop and one spawned in the middle of clearing a minefield and instantly died.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Chard posted:

Good luck. I've seen three bears in over 100 hours. One was scripted for a sideop and one spawned in the middle of clearing a minefield and instantly died.

There's almost always two wandering around the large ruins in Afghanistan.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
MGSV needed more wildlife in general, and more challenge to stopping them. Only the bears need anything different than mash left click to stop, and even then they seemed too slow to be a real threat.

I don't get why only rodents were included in the tiny critters part. Is it budgeting, the other types would have needed more AI? It seems odd that there's no wandering scorpions or poo poo in the desert, it really does ruin the desert scene because you know that snake exists only to gently caress something up in that cutscene.

Also the skulls suck as bosses.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In Destiny the quality of the items you find is based on your light level, which is based on the attack/defense of the weapons/armor you're currently wearing. This works alright, but you'll probably get in a situation where you have rare items with 290 attack/defense, and legendaries/exotics with a lower light stat but which are much better than rares due to their modifiers. So you'll end up keeping a set of dummy gear on you that you have to swap back on whenever you're about to identify items. It's a pain; the game should just keep track of what a character's highest ever light level was and use that to determine drops.

Re MSG5 wildlife: I like how the rationale for collecting animals is that you're saving them from a warzone. I'm sure this gerbil is way better off after I shot it with a tranq dart, stuffed it in my pocket and airlifted it to an offshore platform. Now it can live out the remaining 6 months of its lifespan in peace.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Re MSG5 wildlife: I like how the rationale for collecting animals is that you're saving them from a warzone. I'm sure this gerbil is way better off after I shot it with a tranq dart, stuffed it in my pocket and airlifted it to an offshore platform. Now it can live out the remaining 6 months of its lifespan in peace.
In a small patch of grass it has to share with 50 other gerbils and some donkeys and zebras, on a platform in the middle of the ocean.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Moon Monster posted:

In Destiny the quality of the items you find is based on your light level, which is based on the attack/defense of the weapons/armor you're currently wearing. This works alright, but you'll probably get in a situation where you have rare items with 290 attack/defense, and legendaries/exotics with a lower light stat but which are much better than rares due to their modifiers. So you'll end up keeping a set of dummy gear on you that you have to swap back on whenever you're about to identify items. It's a pain; the game should just keep track of what a character's highest ever light level was and use that to determine drops.

Which is funny, Blizzard figured out that Magic Find is a stupid item affix a little while ago now.

I liked how Sacred did magic find: you had a stat called "survival bonus" that went up over time while you were in combat, and it reset to zero when you died. It would go up quickly at first and then more slowly over time, and it increased your magic find and also your damage. So it rewarded you for playing well while not requiring you to stack stupid affixes on your gear. Sacred was an incredibly weird game in execution but that was one thing it did well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm sure this gerbil is way better off after I shot it with a tranq dart, stuffed it in my pocket and airlifted it to an offshore platform. Now it can live out the remaining 6 months of its lifespan in peace.
On the other hand, it's not lunch.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Blizzard, would you kindly remove the distance limitation on Inspecting another player's gear? They aren't going anywhere and I'm bored, so stop making me search through their profile and characters to get the exact same result in 10 more mouse clicks.

Thanks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Croccers posted:

In a small patch of grass it has to share with 50 other gerbils and some donkeys and zebras, on a platform in the middle of the ocean.

Well, to be fair, it's not supposed to be a long term solution. I just find it annoying that for some reason they decided to put that stuff off in a different area and not actually attached to Mother Base.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Well, to be fair, it's not supposed to be a long term solution. I just find it annoying that for some reason they decided to put that stuff off in a different area and not actually attached to Mother Base.
I can kind of understand why an environmental animal protection NGO does not want to be directly associated with a rogue military state.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I get more annoyed by the loading screen. There's another plot added platform with one as well.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It's probably already been mentioned but I just finished MGSV and I have to say the ending drags it down a little bit for me... oh wait, no, the real ending was cut :psyboom: What the hell guys, seriously?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

It's probably already been mentioned but I just finished MGSV and I have to say the ending drags it down a little bit for me... oh wait, no, the real ending was cut :psyboom: What the hell guys, seriously?

Konami

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The tutorial in Injustice: Gods Among Us is awful. It tells you to do stuff like press X, X, Y, down, forward + X, and I swear I did exactly that at least a dozen times without it registering or giving me any indication of what I was doing wrong.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tiggum posted:

The tutorial in Injustice: Gods Among Us is awful. It tells you to do stuff like press X, X, Y, down, forward + X, and I swear I did exactly that at least a dozen times without it registering or giving me any indication of what I was doing wrong.

Fighting game tutorials are really bad. There was one mortal kombat game on the PS2 that had a sort of story mode, and the first chunk of it was a tutorial in that same vein and you go from doing really basic combos and moves, to suddenly having to do some massive combo flawlessly without any indication of what you're doing wrong. Me and a friend spent like half an hour on that one room before giving up on it and just going to screw around in arcade mode and unlock everyone to play with in multiplayer, never again touching the campaign.

So on the subject of fighting games, the fact that Soul Calibur went down the drain after 3 really drags that series down for me.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hearthstone would be more fun if they didn't want me to pay $32 for an expansion. Just let me craft the cards I want buttholes.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Nuebot posted:

Fighting game tutorials are really bad. There was one mortal kombat game on the PS2 that had a sort of story mode, and the first chunk of it was a tutorial in that same vein and you go from doing really basic combos and moves, to suddenly having to do some massive combo flawlessly without any indication of what you're doing wrong. Me and a friend spent like half an hour on that one room before giving up on it and just going to screw around in arcade mode and unlock everyone to play with in multiplayer, never again touching the campaign.

Ever play the game Driver?

The beginning unskippable tutorial had you doing bullshit tricks that were incredibly hard and actually acted as a barrier to entry to some people trying to play the game. I tried playing a copy a friend loaned me and gave up completely after 20 minutes of futzing about in a parking lot, having never actually seen the game world.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
You don't even need most of the tricks it makes you do, either.

Also, you were only allowed three collisions and were on a very strict timer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Breetai posted:

The beginning unskippable tutorial had you doing bullshit tricks that were incredibly hard and actually acted as a barrier to entry to some people trying to play the game. I tried playing a copy a friend loaned me and gave up completely after 20 minutes of futzing about in a parking lot, having never actually seen the game world.

I had pretty much this experience with Test Drive Unlimited 2, except that instead of ridiculous tricks it was just normal driving stuff but ridiculously difficult to do.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Injustice and Mortal Kombat (9 and X mostly) require you to input the sequence as quickly as you can for cancel combos like that, which is different from most games where you input the second command after the first one connects. Its different, and you are right, it's not explained well, but it works for the kind of game Injustice is.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Breetai posted:

This is incredibly distressing when you're 11 and only allowed one game every couple of months. I got it after cheating myself access to all the free roam and bonus levels and getting very familiar with the handling. It was hard even when you know the heavy, floaty 70s-style handling well, let alone dumping you right in there as a tutorial. The tricks weren't well explained (what is 'slalom'? what is 'lap'?), you failed after 3 collisions in a very tight parking lot and you only had a minute to do 10 or so tricks. You had to be pretty close to flawless.

One of those where you wnonder what they were thinking, I'd love to see the thoughts of the developers after it became such an infamous first level.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Mirror's Edge's tutorial was awful as well. It told me to get on top of some scaffolding by walljumping off the side of a cargo container, so I did. It sent me back to the checkpoint because I did it wrong somehow.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The ending of The Phantom Pain is... oof. Well.

I'm not going to speak ill of anything that's actually in there, or any ideas in play, because it's all very solid and I love it... except for the fact that it just sort of ends. It builds and it builds, right as we should reasonably be heading into a final boss. Eli's hosed off with a giant robot and a cadre of child soldiers, Huey's sabotaged the Diamond Dogs and proven himself to be an utter monster, it's clear we're heading for a face-off with Eli possibly with Huey on his side. Except that it just sort of... stops. Dead in its tracks.

Instead, our final story mission is what could reasonably have been an epilogue, answering questions that... well, we could be asking, and it'd be great at answering them if we were, but there just isn't enough raised to bring it up. So instead of a resolution to what we do have, we've got solutions to problems we never raised, which... doesn't really work.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Cleretic posted:

The ending of The Phantom Pain is...

..painful?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cleretic posted:

The ending of The Phantom Pain is

extremely cool and good

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Huey stuff ends perfectly and it would have been thematically idiotic to do anything else with it. More than anyone else in the game, between his own actions and Ocelot’s musing that he’s going to see through his own self-deception one day and realise how big a piece of poo poo he is, it ties a neat knot on the story of the dude who eventually drowns himself in a swimming people because his son hosed his wife.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I think the big twist for Phantom Pain is a bit poo poo, and cheapens the supposed greatness of Big Boss. Not with his immoral stealing of an entire whole other person, but that Venom is apparently physically just as good a soldier. Big Boss's whole thing is he is near the perfect soldier ability-wise, and you have Venom, who because he had a ponytail surgically implanted can do all this wild poo poo.

I know there's some hypnotherapy bullshit explaination in there somewhere, though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Venom is apparently physically just as good a soldier

Information gets corrupted the more and more it spreads. How do you think Shalashaska got his nickame? Big Boss is a great soldier, for sure, but it's the legend that makes him and people are more than willing to spread the word about how incredible he is.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I think the big twist for Phantom Pain is a bit poo poo, and cheapens the supposed greatness of Big Boss. Not with his immoral stealing of an entire whole other person, but that Venom is apparently physically just as good a soldier. Big Boss's whole thing is he is near the perfect soldier ability-wise, and you have Venom, who because he had a ponytail surgically implanted can do all this wild poo poo.

I know there's some hypnotherapy bullshit explaination in there somewhere, though.

The exact same thing happens with Raiden in MGS2, proving some random girlyman nerd can “become Solid Snake”, so it wouldn’t be the first time. Like 2, 5 is about the dangers of hero worship and how legends get distorted and become bigger than the man they’re based on – at the end of the day Big Boss is just a tough dude who’s good at shooting stuff, not Ares incarnated. Admittedly “being trained and put through a recreation of the Shadow Moses incident” is a better excuse than “got hypnotised a bit” but uhh I guess BB considered the medic to be his greatest soldier and we’ve all seen a dude on staff whose stats put BB to shame?

Also I like the twist mainly because it is now canon that 1) I apparently fantasise about fisting Paz and 2) Big Boss has a passport giving his name as “Crazy Uncle Hoegbottom”.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Actually, that is a good point by both of you, and thinking about it, I guess it doesn't really matter exactly how effective Venom was at acting, since BB is still doing his own thing. So long as Venom doesn't die like a chump (which he did multiple times for me) the legend grows, and he can just step out of Outer Haven at any time like 'lol not dead, had you all fooled though cuz I'm just that badass, come work for me'.

Also in this situation, Shoot Gunner is operating like Venoms' Miller

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, even in PW you could recruit soldiers who were better than the Boss. The game is heavily focused on hero worship and poo poo and a main game mechanic is making people okay with you kidnapping them so they join army because youre that good. An army where your only way of saluting your subordinates is CQC slamming them to the ground.

And theyll thank you for it.

Also you can find the cut ending ops on youtube.

Also if you look in the reflection of boss in the window of the ACC you see venoms real face.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Huey stuff ends perfectly and it would have been thematically idiotic to do anything else with it. More than anyone else in the game, between his own actions and Ocelot’s musing that he’s going to see through his own self-deception one day and realise how big a piece of poo poo he is, it ties a neat knot on the story of the dude who eventually drowns himself in a swimming people because his son hosed his wife.

Yeah, I should say that Huey's ending was perfect for the character. He's basically the worst person he could possibly be, and he's put in a position where that's both extremely clear and he's forced to face it. The problem is that's what the game ends on, seeing this resolution is what triggers 'The Man Who Sold The World' to unlock. It should rightly be part of the ending, but it shouldn't be THE ending.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I find it to be an even cheaper twist considering they just did the same reveal with Liquid Ocelot in 4.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What's dragging down Diablo 3 is how bland the player character is when it comes to dialogue. The NPCs and Mercenaries are cliché, sure, but they're colorful and seem at least invested in their role. The player, meanwhile, has nothing interesting to say and makes no attempt to interact with anyone besides ":geno: how's your side-story coming?" or ":geno: this is my pre-battle line". It's made worse that save for a few pronouns your dialogue is unaffected by the character you picked. Most notable is the Male Barbarian, since he's supposedly the same dude from D2, but his lines with Cain and Tyreal gives no hint of this.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think this is perfectly exemplified by the completely unironic "I don't have enough Fury" line.

You don't say :geno:?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

SirPhoebos posted:

What's dragging down Diablo 3 is how bland the player character is when it comes to dialogue. The NPCs and Mercenaries are cliché, sure, but they're colorful and seem at least invested in their role. The player, meanwhile, has nothing interesting to say and makes no attempt to interact with anyone besides ":geno: how's your side-story coming?" or ":geno: this is my pre-battle line". It's made worse that save for a few pronouns your dialogue is unaffected by the character you picked. Most notable is the Male Barbarian, since he's supposedly the same dude from D2, but his lines with Cain and Tyreal gives no hint of this.

The problem with diablo 3 is how anyone gives even the slightest of fucks who you are before you do anything. In diablo 2 you're following around the wanderer and never quite catching up. Everyone you meet is just "holy poo poo! we got problems! that guy really messed us up! for god's sake grab a bucket and help us with all these fires" and every boss you intrude on basically says "who let you in here?" like you don't even matter. It owned! Now you have every boss calling you up every 30 seconds from when you enter their zone to when you kill them to taunt you about every single quest stage you'll "never be able to do".

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Krinkle posted:

Everyone you meet is just "holy poo poo! we got problems! that guy really messed us up! for god's sake grab a bucket and help us with all these fires" and every boss you intrude on basically says "who let you in here?" like you don't even matter. It owned!

Counterpoint: while "fix the world before we care who you are" was awesome, the fact that the finale came down to "you killed a boss and then the Angel showed up and did a thing, thanks for playing" stunk. Couldn't it have been the player's choice to smash the crystal?