Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Nyaa posted:

Bow would require time to learn and we don't know how to properly use a bow ourselves. A blowgun would be better.

You could try and make a simple bow. They have string both leather and sinew. Tie it to a bowed stick and go from there! Johnson has enough to make a crude guess.

E: From the Chat.

The skull of the Man-beasts looks like a crocodile skull, complete with sharp teeth but larger eye sockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Arkanomen posted:

You could try and make a simple bow. They have string both leather and sinew. Tie it to a bowed stick and go from there! Johnson has enough to make a crude guess.

I mean, if we show them the basics, and let them know it can be improved they may be able to work at it themselves.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

If we follow along with the chief and our phone starts beeping is he going to kill us? :ohdear:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

hollylolly posted:

If we follow along with the chief and our phone starts beeping is he going to kill us? :ohdear:

I'll assume you put it on silent. You can ask to tag along or try and follow him through unfamiliar terrain at night, or simply travel down river on your own.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I - get that copper happening. That's the single greatest thing we could do for them.
K - clay work is super imperative to copper working. Plus we can earn a value skill in the meantime

Also devote a bit of time to teaching people maths and such.

What programs do we have on the laptop?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Outrail posted:

I - get that copper happening. That's the single greatest thing we could do for them.
K - clay work is super imperative to copper working. Plus we can earn a value skill in the meantime

Also devote a bit of time to teaching people maths and such.

What programs do we have on the laptop?

Basic accounting programs, office, some games. None of it matters as the battery is pretty much dead.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Arkanomen posted:

Basic accounting programs, office, some games. None of it matters as the battery is pretty much dead.

Play one last game of solitaire.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Outrail posted:

Play one last game of solitaire.

gently caress THAT MINESWEEPER IS THE ONE TRUE SOLUTION!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I will fight you.

V:You people are voting wrong.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 20, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
The laptop won't turn on because of the low battery but you can force it on and play one 5 minute game of either...

1. Solitaire
2. Minesweeper
3. Space Cadet Pinball
4. Hover!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Arkanomen posted:

The laptop won't turn on because of the low battery but you can force it on and play one 5 minute game of either...

1. Solitaire
2. Minesweeper
3. Space Cadet Pinball
4. Hover!

Oh man Hover was why I visited my friend's house as often as I could.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
SPACE CADET

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Of course it would be minesweeper.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Minesweeper. Sweep it in spider pattern.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LowellDND posted:

Oh man Hover was why I visited my friend's house as often as I could.

I don't know what Hover! is. :(

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Teach the kids tic-tac-toe and rock-paper-scissors, this will affect the future in terrible and unforeseen ways, but eh gotta stomp some butterflies if you wanna stop Hitler.

My choice is MineSweeper. When the battery burns we have to figure out some way to have the whole village play a giant game of analog minesweeper.
Archaeologists will find ancient clay portraits of sunglass'd smileys, bombs, with salt timers and be flabbergasted.

GloriousDemon fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 20, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There Bias Two posted:

I don't know what Hover! is. :(

http://hover.ie/#single-player/play Now free! :D

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
(Seeing Spider and Socializing/Math + One last game of minesweeper. Going to be a two part update.)

You decide that whatever the Chief is doing is his business. You're an accountant, not Conan the Barbarian. If you really wanted to visit a terrible dead city on the night of a lunar eclipse with a tribal chieftain, you'd hope that you'd at least had your affairs in order. What does sound good is using that last bit of battery on your laptop for a game of minesweeper. The computer boots quickly as you hold down the powerbutton, forcing it on and draining the last of the battery. You quickly open mine-sweeper on expert mode and begin furiously clicking away. Sunglasses man will make one less appearance. The pressure of the low battery and the strange cycling of the battery meter throw off your game and you quickly step on a mine. The battery is at one percent when the screen BSOD's and glitches out. Strange characters cycle before settling on a circle with eight spokes.

The glyph flashes for a moment before the screen flashes what looks to be a map is flashed on the screen and before you can take it all in it zooms into small northern section showing a large lake, mountain range and a river flowing out to sea. Little markers flash along the river before the image corrupts and the laptop dies for good. Your notepad is out on the table and you waste no time sketching what you saw. As the night goes on your cellphone stops freaking out and goes dead as well, all the power being drained away. When the morning dawns you speak with the Shaman about what transpired and show him the map. He takes you into his tent and digs through his leather scrolls. He finds the correct scroll and compares it to your drawing. It's a match. The Shaman points out two major tribes to the south, the Men of Reeds and the Men of Nets. Those two settlements are the only permanent ones besides your own. Further south past the grasslands and into the swamps is the City of Black Stones. You update your map.

With the previous night's bizarre activity you decide now may be a good time to go see if you can talk to this spider spirit. It doesn't take you long to head out to the tree. It isn't very far but the tree is tucked away from the edge of the lake. All along its branches are little bundles of cloth tied to its branches. There must be hundreds all swaying in the wind. The sky is still dark and the sun has not yet burned through the clouds, though the wind tells you that its going to be an overcast day. You feel strange by the tree, as if you are not supposed to be there. Undeterred you shrug and pull one of the closer bundles away from the tree and begin to untie it.

As soon as it is free you hear someone clear his throat. Sitting on a rock not far from the tree is a robed man. From his fingers dangles a black widow spider, its long limbs dancing along the mans fingers. The man removes his hood revealing a long face with far too many eyes. His mouth curls into a fanged smile before boisterously laughing.

"Well, if it isn't my favorite walking corpse, I am glad to see you haven't died again! Certainly didn't expect you call me up this way, guess that old Shaman isn't completely useless. I should tell you what he did on his first hunt someday. Maybe when you stop wasting time teaching them boring things like math and rulers. Where's the weapons and dangerous science!? Shouldn't be too hard for a nerd like you to whip up some gunpowder or one of them nuclear bombs. Still time, and other souls I guess. I digress dead man. To what do I owe the pleasure? You must certainly have questions, or did you come for a favor from your good friend spider?"

You have summoned Spider! Ask away. When the conversation wraps up we will get to socializing with the tribe.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 21, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Get information on mineral deposits within 20 kilometers. Copper, tin, iron, coal, coke :v:

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 21, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Ok Spiderman, What should I be teaching them? Gunpowder and missiles are still quite a long way to go. I'm thinking bow and crossbows and copper armor. Anything else you want me to be doing? You must have been scheming something when you asked me to choose you, and as long as it doesn't involve genocide or inventing bronies I'm down.

^^: Fuckit. That to

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Whats going on with my electronics?
Why am I getting a signal when I shouldn't be getting any signal?
What is the Chief doing at the black city?
Are the lizard men still there?
Our knowledge of most things not accounting is limited, can you provide us with the knowledge to to advance the tribe to an industrial society?
I can't whip up some gunpowder without knowing where the resources are, can you provide me with the locations on where I can find them?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

LowellDND posted:

Get information on mineral deposits within 20 kilometers. Copper, iron, coal, coke :v:

Spider laughs. "Necromancers are nothing against fast crusaders. You already know where to find copper and iron and you know how to make charcoal out of wood. You didn't come to ask me about things you already know did you?"

Outrail posted:

Ok Spiderman, What should I be teaching them? Gunpowder and missiles are still quite a long way to go. I'm thinking bow and crossbows and copper armor. Anything else you want me to be doing? You must have been scheming something when you asked me to choose you, and as long as it doesn't involve genocide or inventing bronies I'm down.

^^: Fuckit. That to

The god purses his lips. "Its rude to call someone scheming you know. I don't want you to do anything. Watching you go is amusement enough for me. But if you did happen to make any of those things I certainly wouldn't be in line to give you any crap."

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Whats going on with my electronics?
Why am I getting a signal when I shouldn't be getting any signal?
What is the Chief doing at the black city?
Are the lizard men still there?
Our knowledge of most things not accounting is limited, can you provide us with the knowledge to to advance the tribe to an industrial society?
I can't whip up some gunpowder without knowing where the resources are, can you provide me with the locations on where I can find them?

"Ahhh, yes the eclipse last night. Well, you more than anyone know how long planets live and evolution and things. There are things on this world that are older than you know. The beast-men, or lizard-men, crap what we're they called. YES, that was it, the..." Spider's face morphs into a long lizard like snout. The flesh falling away from his body as it takes on a mummified appearance. The smell of rot and disease fills that air as insects crawl from the dirt.

"Ik'Thren-drak". His face changes back along with the special effects. "Ugh, been a while since I had that face. Lets stick with lizard-men, yes? They are a long forgotten story and a shadow of what they were. Couldn't take a joke. As for what happens there and what the Chief does is not for me to say. I'm not even allowed near that old city. Head there yourself if you want to know more. What's left of those people still linger."

Spider shifts on his rocky seat. "Now that certainly is an offer. I can't point you to anything in the earth as everything has their keeper, but knowledge is something I certainly give you...for a price. That little bundle you're holding certainly is worth quite a bit. I'll give you everything you need to melt down those pretty little green rocks and make something shiny and killy if you hand over your little trinket there. Not really a bad deal, if I say so myself. If you really want to know where to find the specialty resources around here I can get you in touch with someone who does know that sort of thing. You'll have to give me another of the bundles from that tree of my choosing."

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 21, 2015

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
I am no warrior, how much danger will I face if I go to the black city? How can I convince the chief to let me accompany him?

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUtziaZlDeE
Can I have spider strength relative to my size?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

We're not supposed to give him an offering under any circumstances. Don't give an offering.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Why did the shaman tell me not to leave you an offering?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

K, so I spent 10 minutes on wiki :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beehive_oven I think we could use our intro to industry as this. It can make tiles and pots (food storage!) and turn coal into coke. I'm not clear on where tin is, but if we have the basic copper ore we could ramp up some copper weapons, start a 'guns germs and steel' rampage, collect us up some tribes of farmers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_furnace This is listed as as early as 500 BC, which can get us iron. If we have bituminous coal, that might give us leverage into steel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessemer_process steel production, 1100 AD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_blast looks like we can use this for lower grade or quantity coal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt_steam_engine One of the earliest / effective steam engines.

I'm not saying I want to build Mordor, but I want to build Mordor. :D

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

I am no warrior, how much danger will I face if I go to the black city? How can I convince the chief to let me accompany him?

He laughs. "No, you certainly aren't a warrior, Mr.Noodle-Arms. You face danger every moment. There are wild beasts and spirits, disease and violence. In the City of Black stones even more so, but when everything can kill you in a single strike would it be fair to say you were safer here than there?" He cuts off your protest. "I know what you are asking, and in that city there is a great deal more danger than anywhere else, but also more rewards than you could imagine. As for the Chief, he is a reasonable if not simple minded man. He as already departed and should arrive within an hour. Speak to him on his return. He will tell you how to join him."

GloriousDemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUtziaZlDeE
Can I have spider strength relative to my size?

You are already so cosmically weak it would not matter if you were bitten by a thousand radioactive spiders. If you continue to amuse me however I can see about adding a little extra to your body. Don't blame me though if you start crapping webs."

There Bias Two posted:

We're not supposed to give him an offering under any circumstances. Don't give an offering.

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Why did the shaman tell me not to leave you an offering?

"I can give you some free advice. You shouldn't believe everything people tell you, but if you want the good stuff then hand over that bit of cloth. Its just cloth, what do you care? If they left it tied to a tree then do you think it's really important?"

LowellDND posted:

K, so I spent 10 minutes on wiki :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beehive_oven I think we could use our intro to industry as this. It can make tiles and pots (food storage!) and turn coal into coke. I'm not clear on where tin is, but if we have the basic copper ore we could ramp up some copper weapons, start a 'guns germs and steel' rampage, collect us up some tribes of farmers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_furnace This is listed as as early as 500 BC, which can get us iron. If we have bituminous coal, that might give us leverage into steel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessemer_process steel production, 1100 AD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_blast looks like we can use this for lower grade or quantity coal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt_steam_engine One of the earliest / effective steam engines.

I'm not saying I want to build Mordor, but I want to build Mordor. :D

"As I said, you give me some cloth and I'll give you what that little computer made of meat can't remember and then things can get really good again!"

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Well, Im for giving him the cloth. Bringing the industrial revolution is going to shatter every society anyway, and those crocodile necromancers have me nervous.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Plan MORE DOOR!

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
If it's not important and just a piece of cloth, why do you want it so bad? I mean it's obviously worth something to you so what is it really and why do you want it?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

If it's not important and just a piece of cloth, why do you want it so bad? I mean it's obviously worth something to you so what is it really and why do you want it?

He didn't say it wasn't important, he only asked us if we thought it was important. He's one of those trickery gods that gets by on technicalities. It's probably super important for someone.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Spider sighs. "Look it's just some cloth. I like cloth, I'm a spider. Weavings my thing. These strips have some power in them, being out by the water and all. Spirit stuff don't worry about it."

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arkanomen posted:

Spider sighs. "Look it's just some cloth. I like cloth, I'm a spider. Weavings my thing. These strips have some power in them, being out by the water and all. Spirit stuff don't worry about it."

Seems reasonable to me! :)

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Arkanomen posted:

Can you tell me more about spirit stuff?
Did spirits even exist in my time? I assume they did, why were they so low key?

Listen, if you really want the cloth you are going to need to explain to me exactly what its going to do for you, so start talking!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

As an aside, we should frame someone for taking the ribbon.

Maybe a neighboring tribe we can test bronze weapons on. :D

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
They robbed the ribbon tree! We must avenge our ghostbros! WAAAAGH!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ark already mentioned that they're actually menstrual pads in IRC, so they'll probably ne infused with life magic or something like that. They'll probably cause a woman to lose her fertility or give birth to a demon baby or some poo poo.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
If someone ends up giving birth to spiderman that would so obviously end up getting blamed on us. Infertility, well, that's common enough to be deniable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Haggle hard for a better deal. Be willing to put the cloth right back on the tree if he doesn't make an acceptable offer.

We've been in boardrooms, we know how to play hardball, right? If we just do what he says this time he'll lose all respect for us, gently caress us over, and say we should have seen it coming.

• Locked thread