Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Also when Met did it my first thought was "who the gently caress is Met" so do with that information what you will. At this moment I'm focusing on people who played waaaay back in the day. There's a method here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
right ok but I still think you should just hold off a few days. it literally doesn't hurt to wait a few more days once we have everything figured out.

you can do what you will but I think it's important to get things right the first time.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I can't speak for everyone but i really dislike big mafia games, but soldiers games are really different and enjoyable.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

busb posted:

I can't speak for everyone but i really dislike big mafia games, but soldiers games are really different and enjoyable.

Yeah the specific complaint seems to not be "I dislike soldiers" but "I can't keep up with large games" and soldiers just makes that more difficult

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

All that to say: I'm holding off on contacting more vets for a few more days because Ecco asked me to. In the meantime anyone who's been thinking of running a game, you might want to finish your setup. In my opinion if we have a steady stream of interesting games in the next few months, that's gonna be what keeps people coming back.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ok here's some mafia theory discusso

i used a Loudmouth-type role for the first time in XCOM II. In that case, I made it a Loudmouth Watcher; the watcher's results would be publicly announced by me on the start of the new day, e.g.

On Night 2, Met was detected near Tremendous Taste!

I thought it was a pretty interesting take on investigative roles. This was a fairly role-heavy game with a lot of ability for people to visit others, but I certainly wouldn't put it on a regular cop. Anyone else use a Loudmouth modifier, what did you think of it?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742528

CARTOONS

also re: loudmouth, I thought it was neat foo and plan on using it.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
sweet 700 new posts, o wait

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
That loudmouth thing was awesome foo

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

Everybody be quiet. Met the biggest pussy in existence needs you to agree with him

lmaoooo

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Like, the discussion I had with JakeP a few weeks ago annoyed me a bit where it was like "yeah you don't need to post more than a sentence to get through to somebody, if you could say something in 5 words instead of a paragraph you obviously do that, gently caress actually putting in effort I play to win, I dont play for the mod" was the gist of what he was saying.

Alternatively, I played against JakeP and a few other townies the following game I signed up for (BottleKnights game), town barely did anything and it was the easiest scum win ever for Dhaes and Keane and I because town had a bunch of people that had a similar posting style as JakeP, also, Lumpen. To be fair Jake actually put in effort I'm not accusing him of anything that game, just saying a lot of town barely posted and if they did it was like "yeah I agree with dhaes" "ok lets do this"

tldr: not telling people how to play, but if everybody put in 10 or 20% more effort into games it actually helps!! people enjoy fun games!! people actually read these games and notice how much fun or not that we're having!!

I ended up losing a lot of interest after day 1 or 2 of that game after the Lumpen lynch. He was pretty obviously town tracker like he claimed, especially when Bowmore basically cofirmed his flavor, but then still wanted to thunderdome him.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think that was the longest I had ever seen the thread stay on topic. I think Bottles is going to make a thread so that's fine, but did anyone notice that when a question was asked it was usually promptly answered and discussed? Despite all the chat people do stay on topic and respond to things really regularly.

I'm going back to Europe tomorrow evening. It's been very nice to be back in New England and I managed to see everyone that mattered the most to me. Everyone seems to be doing so well and we seem to be so grown-up and doing mature, responsible things. Adult life is funny and weird, and it makes me miss the spontaneity of youth but the stability and comfort is quite a nice trade-off.

So... I guess when I'm back home I can go back to replacing into games when needed. Or play via invite. I feel that's a better way to make sure games can both be run and completed, because there's nothing worse to me than a game floundering due to inactivity.

What buzzfeeds have I missed?

Tremendous Taste posted:

As long as they don't flip "backup X" I'm all for them.

How should back-ups flip otherwise?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Zuchini is one of my favorite fruits. I just fry them in olive oil and add salt + pepper, sometimes I fry up some garlic with them

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

So you're saying you wouldn't go on pause if someone at -1 claimed cop or doctor?

not if I thought they were scum

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Yeah a guy I went to HS with threw up on a 10 year old girl

we had no classes together but I did know him as dumbass stoner # 2

He got rung up for assault

I remember that, philly fans are brutal

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Captain Foo posted:

ok here's some mafia theory discusso

i used a Loudmouth-type role for the first time in XCOM II. In that case, I made it a Loudmouth Watcher; the watcher's results would be publicly announced by me on the start of the new day, e.g.

On Night 2, Met was detected near Tremendous Taste!

I thought it was a pretty interesting take on investigative roles. This was a fairly role-heavy game with a lot of ability for people to visit others, but I certainly wouldn't put it on a regular cop. Anyone else use a Loudmouth modifier, what did you think of it?
Seems that it strips some strategic depth and player agency out of the game, which lowers the skill level but also potentially some of the tension that makes Mafia compelling. It can be balanced and may be helpful in games where role madness makes things so complex and ambiguous that having Mod Confirmation of certain facts keeps the players from being overwhelmed to the point of total confusion (which kills conversation).
I tend to think that having a Town Role increases the responsibility burden of the player in few ways... by requiring them to choose targets wisely, by requiring them to conceal their role and determine the appropriate time to claim, and by requiring them to use the information gained by the role wisely. Choosing what to announce, what to conceal, and when. Flitering the knowledge through cases, or roleclaiming. And all those parts can make the game more engaging, and also present the other players with things to discuss, whether claims are to be believed, whether results are to be trusted, whether claimed targets are congruent with stated opinions. The Loudmouth drains a lot of that yummy complexity out of the game, and I'm not sure if I can imagine what it adds.

It seems like the Loudmputh mechanic doesn't enhance discussion and player-focused game outcomes, rather tending toward making the outcome rely on automated factors embedded in the setup. This could be seen as a good or a bad thing depending on what players are lookin for in a game. As for me, I prefer maximizing player agency and the impact of player decision-making. I feel the appropriate level of Mod-given info is only the setup details revealed in the OP, and flips. The unconfirmability of role PM's amd night results is an important part of the fun.

Thats a pretty contrarian analysis, I'd be interested in someone making the affirmative case for the role!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lumpen posted:

Seems that it strips some strategic depth and player agency out of the game, which lowers the skill level but also potentially some of the tension that makes Mafia compelling. It can be balanced and may be helpful in games where role madness makes things so complex and ambiguous that having Mod Confirmation of certain facts keeps the players from being overwhelmed to the point of total confusion (which kills conversation).
I tend to think that having a Town Role increases the responsibility burden of the player in few ways... by requiring them to choose targets wisely, by requiring them to conceal their role and determine the appropriate time to claim, and by requiring them to use the information gained by the role wisely. Choosing what to announce, what to conceal, and when. Flitering the knowledge through cases, or roleclaiming. And all those parts can make the game more engaging, and also present the other players with things to discuss, whether claims are to be believed, whether results are to be trusted, whether claimed targets are congruent with stated opinions. The Loudmouth drains a lot of that yummy complexity out of the game, and I'm not sure if I can imagine what it adds.

It seems like the Loudmputh mechanic doesn't enhance discussion and player-focused game outcomes, rather tending toward making the outcome rely on automated factors embedded in the setup. This could be seen as a good or a bad thing depending on what players are lookin for in a game. As for me, I prefer maximizing player agency and the impact of player decision-making. I feel the appropriate level of Mod-given info is only the setup details revealed in the OP, and flips. The unconfirmability of role PM's amd night results is an important part of the fun.

Thats a pretty contrarian analysis, I'd be interested in someone making the affirmative case for the role!

I sort of agree with you, in the sense that a lot of interesting things in the game come from someone announcing results and people figuring out how much to trust them, and Loudmouthing the results negates that. The game I used it in, however, was a role-heavy game. I don't know what the threshold is for "madness," but it may have qualified. The other important thing about that game is that only flavor - which did bear resemblance to the role, but often did not explain it completely - and alignment flipped.

A couple of people who were in that game have chimed in so far, but if they'd like to shine any more light on why they liked it (or didn't, if someone else has an opinion) that would be cool too!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

You also should consider that watchers are hard roles to balance around.

They're far more game swingy than a cop since "I watched Ecco last night and the only person who visited him was Lumpen, also Ecco is now dead" is as damning as it gets, yet the watcher can also be completely useless the entire game. A cop can at least clear people, a watcher who doesn't guess correctly is useless at worst and draws suspicion if there's other watching/tracking roles at best.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

If only someone would design a game with nothing but trackers and doctors.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Look Under The Rock posted:

If only someone would design a game with nothing but trackers and doctors.

jon joe ran Everyone is a RoleCop and Tracker

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

jon joe ran Everyone is a RoleCop and Tracker

Ecco ran one where the setup was basically all doctors and trackers. I think I was scum in that one? It was pretty fun.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I hereby pledge to stop telling people they are dumb and calling them idiots during mafia games.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CapitalistPig posted:

I hereby pledge to stop telling people they are dumb and calling them idiots during mafia games.

You're an idiot.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CapitalistPig posted:

:)

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

TMMadman posted:

You're an idiot.

:ohdear:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You can't make everybody a tracker, that ruins the tension. Four trackers should be good.

CapitalistPig posted:

:agreed:

And also, I will try to not be a dick outside of games too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

You can't make everybody a tracker, that ruins the tension. Four trackers should be good.

idk it was a pretty fun game, there were some other roles on top of RC+T that everyone was

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CapitalistPig posted:

:agreed:

good atmosphere is good.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

idk it was a pretty fun game, there were some other roles on top of RC+T that everyone was

I was just joking around because at the same time I ran a game with 4 trackers (jj based rolecop and tracker off of that)

Role and Tracker was fun and incredibly frustrating as scum.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
People who normally wouldn't join my games should join my cartoon game.

It's gonna be good I can feel it in my bones.

also RARITY is in it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

I don't.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm trying to be a more positive person in general and paradigm shift myself to happiness, so I am on board with the niceness pledge.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I was just joking around because at the same time I ran a game with 4 trackers (jj based rolecop and tracker off of that)

Role and Tracker was fun and incredibly frustrating as scum.

oh, lol

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

I know, it's ok, I wasn't expecting anyone else to do it tbh

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CapitalistPig posted:

I know, it's ok, I wasn't expecting anyone else to do it tbh

I will do it too. When I occasionally read my old games and see me calling people dumb, I cringe irl because it may have felt good at the time but on reflection it always made me less, if that makes sense.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Lumpen posted:

Seems that it strips some strategic depth and player agency out of the game, which lowers the skill level but also potentially some of the tension that makes Mafia compelling.

This is a longwinded way of saying "I prefer arguing about things and town remaining confused instead of having evidence."

##vote Lumpen

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Actually it makes you more

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Actually it makes you more

more... of a big fat jerk!!

good thanks diqnol you're a real pal.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I have a take it or leave it attitude towards being a jerk in games, but I do think we need to remember that this thread is not a game and nobody is scum and we should try to keep it civil in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
typical scumbo response, Asiina.