Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I just tried to create a dynamic distribution group that contained all users that were listed as residing in the city Winnipeg

get-dynamicdistributiongroup | set-dynamicdistributiongroup -identity "Winnipegdistributiongroup" -recipientfilter {city -eq Winnipeg}

The command completes successfully and if I check the EAC it seems to have even worked. What could be causing none of the users to populate within the group though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Methanar posted:

I just tried to create a dynamic distribution group that contained all users that were listed as residing in the city Winnipeg

get-dynamicdistributiongroup | set-dynamicdistributiongroup -identity "Winnipegdistributiongroup" -recipientfilter {city -eq Winnipeg}

The command completes successfully and if I check the EAC it seems to have even worked. What could be causing none of the users to populate within the group though?

Dynamic distribution groups do not have a membership, the recipients are calculated at the time the email is sent. You can preview what the membership would look like by opening the DDL in EMC, going to the filter tab and clicking on preview.

If you're doing that and the preview is not turning anyone up then there's likely something wrong with your filter. You can test the filter by doing a Get-Recipient -ResultSize Unlimited -Filter { City -eq "Winnipeg" }, if that returns results the DDL should as well and if it doesn't you can mess with the filter here until it returns who you're looking for.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
PS C:\Users\administrator.PINSKE> Get-Recipient -resultsize unlimited -filter { city -eq "Winnipeg" }

Name RecipientType
---- -------------
Bob dole UserMailbox

Well then. It all seems to be working but I just can't send email through the group.

Okay I figured it out, it was being applied to a very (very) poorly named OU.

Thanks for the help.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 22, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Newbie question. Is there a way I can prevent a user that has been disabled in AD from showing up in the global address list of Office 365?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Coredump posted:

Newbie question. Is there a way I can prevent a user that has been disabled in AD from showing up in the global address list of Office 365?

From Powershell:

Set-Mailbox -Identity user@domain.com -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $true

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

mayodreams posted:

From Powershell:

Set-Mailbox -Identity user@domain.com -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $true

I tried that. Problem is office 365 won't let you do that because the user is an AD user. Seems like it wants you to do it on an exchange server on premise but we don't have one, thus office 365.

quote:

The operation on mailbox "user" failed because it's out of the current user's write scope. The action
'Set-Mailbox', 'HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled', can't be performed on the object 'user' because the object is
being synchronized from your on-premises organization. This action should be performed on the object in your
on-premises organization.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Coredump posted:

I tried that. Problem is office 365 won't let you do that because the user is an AD user. Seems like it wants you to do it on an exchange server on premise but we don't have one, thus office 365.
Google suggests toggling the msExchHideFromAddressLists attribute in AD

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Alright, gonna try that and wait for replication and see how it does. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: I think... its not possible?
https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/148/t/280163

community.office365.com posted:

However, currently syncing Exchange related attributes without on-premises Exchange servers installed is not officially supported in our forum, since many potential issues could occur in the scenario that we extend the Exchange related attributes where no on-premises Exchange server is deployed, and we have limited resources about the issues.

AND
https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/148/t/357377?ss

quote:

Q: Do you have any way to show only enabled users on global address book as office 365?
A: So far, there is no present official solution about that.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 22, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can kick replication off manually - just hit run on the scheduled task

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Coredump posted:

I am fairly certain I did that in O365. I'll try and find what I did.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're going to manage everything from on-prem and are using AD sync then this might be what you're after:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2939261

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey holy poo poo the address is no longer showing. Hooray I did a thing! Thanks for the help everyone.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Methanar posted:

PS C:\Users\administrator.PINSKE> Get-Recipient -resultsize unlimited -filter { city -eq "Winnipeg" }

Name RecipientType
---- -------------
Bob dole UserMailbox

Well then. It all seems to be working but I just can't send email through the group.

Okay I figured it out, it was being applied to a very (very) poorly named OU.

Thanks for the help.

I manage and deal with hundreds of DDL's in O365, the way I test them real time is to do the following

code:
$winnipeg = Get-DynamicDistributionGroup -Identity Winnipegdistributiongroup
The variable can be named whatever the important part is to get the identity info into the variable

Then use it to generate the recipient preview filter

code:
Get-Recipient -RecipientPreviewFilter $winnipeg.RecipientFilter
That'll get you a real time exact list of people that would get the email.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have a site where there are 15 staff and a requirement that no email in the Exchange environment gets deleted ever.

What is the best solution for me? Exchange Online + put In Place Hold on everybody?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Is that not a huge legal liability?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Methanar posted:

Is that not a huge legal liability?

Yes, it is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There are tons of exchange archiving solutions out there to take care of that requirement since it's something that's common with a publicly traded company due to SOX regs.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

bull3964 posted:

There are tons of exchange archiving solutions out there to take care of that requirement since it's something that's common with a publicly traded company due to SOX regs.

Right but I don't know anything about any of them other than their names. Is there a reason not use the built in Exchange functionality - would that not meet my req? I know these mail archiving solutions existed before Exch 2010 had online archive built in, and certainly before Exchange Online had all their ediscovery/legal hold/dlp stuff baked in.. So is there any value in the third party stuff at this point?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
GFI Mail Archiver is leaps and bounds better than the Exchange built in functionality.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Any opinions on mimecast for the archiving piece (since we're using for spam mgmt anyway)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've used that too and like everything mimecast, it is very good.

If you have a mimecast rep see if they'll let you trial the archive part, usually they will since it is buco bucks for them

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mimecast archiving is good. Since you're new to it all I'd recommend that over whatever MS can bolt onto Office 365 since the support is a lot better, and they will help you with getting it all started up.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks everyone I talked to my mimecast rep!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

idk if this belongs in this thread but:

I have an RDS server where people can run Office applications including Outlook*. With Exchange Online, Outlook runs like poo poo unless I have cached mode enabled. So I have cached mode enabled and it's eating up a bunch of space quickly with the OSTs.

My question: what's the Right Thing to do here?

* lmk if I need to explain why we're doing this to begin with

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
cached mode is generally the preferred method unless both your exchange server and outlook client live on the same LAN subnet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you open to the idea of publishing Office as a RemoteApp on Azure? You might have more luck running non-cached if you're in the same datacenters.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

idk if this belongs in this thread but:

I have an RDS server where people can run Office applications including Outlook*. With Exchange Online, Outlook runs like poo poo unless I have cached mode enabled. So I have cached mode enabled and it's eating up a bunch of space quickly with the OSTs.

My question: what's the Right Thing to do here?

* lmk if I need to explain why we're doing this to begin with

If you have Outloook 2013+ you can only sync a week\month's worth of mail in the cache. It will increase slower but if your people have multi-gig mailboxes you'll buy yourself some time.

Auto-archiving older mail, perhaps?

You're gonna have a great time if your users do what mine do, and add each other's mailboxes. You'll end up storing everyones mail 50 times in various OSTs. Hurrah!

Edit - I assume Outlook is required to be in RDS. But you could run it locally and sync via Outlook Anywhere.

Swink fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 29, 2015

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you open to the idea of publishing Office as a RemoteApp on Azure? You might have more luck running non-cached if you're in the same datacenters.

Negative, I need office on the same machine as these database applications that are on prem

Swink posted:

If you have Outloook 2013+ you can only sync a week\month's worth of mail in the cache. It will increase slower but if your people have multi-gig mailboxes you'll buy yourself some time.
This is what we're doing for now.

What I really want is a gpo that says "if OST gets to be over 5gb, don't cache the oldest stuff" or something like that.

quote:

You're gonna have a great time if your users do what mine do, and add each other's mailboxes. You'll end up storing everyones mail 50 times in various OSTs. Hurrah!
Maybe I'll turn off cached mode for added mailboxes (pretty sure I saw a setting for that). I'm fine with them being slow on checking other mailboxes.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

If I could map the OS mailto: to compose a new email in OWA that would be cool.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We're launching a new initiative on mail data management: Operation "Drag the F* Email to a Network Share Folder if it Needs to Be Shared With Your Peers and/or Kept for Longer Than a Year." This initiative has been pioneered by student clerks in our office with associates degrees in Common Sense who have started moving info out of mail and into an actual, shareable, easily-searchable piece of wizardry called a "filesystem." Wish us luck.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, good luck with that. You're going to need it.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

If I could map the OS mailto: to compose a new email in OWA that would be cool.

Pretty sure this will do that for you.

http://www.owatray.com/

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Potato Salad posted:

We're launching a new initiative on mail data management: Operation "Drag the F* Email to a Network Share Folder if it Needs to Be Shared With Your Peers and/or Kept for Longer Than a Year." This initiative has been pioneered by student clerks in our office with associates degrees in Common Sense who have started moving info out of mail and into an actual, shareable, easily-searchable piece of wizardry called a "filesystem." Wish us luck.

that sucks rear end man sorry

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Pop the bottles, exchange 2013 SP2 was released.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

incoherent posted:

And by that I assume you mean Exchange 2016?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

incoherent posted:

Eh?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CU10 was released a couple weeks back?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

And by that I assume you mean Exchange 2016?

:thejoke:

The flimsiest of feature updates to keep SA customers happy. It will sell adequately, but i'll be surprised if we see a version of exchange after Exchange 2018.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

incoherent posted:

:thejoke:

The flimsiest of feature updates to keep SA customers happy. It will sell adequately, but i'll be surprised if we see a version of exchange after Exchange 2018.

oh come on this "cloud" trend will surely be over by 2018 and we'll all be ready to come back to prem exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
On Prem Exchange and Sharepoint must be the biggest drag on their support.

Question: I need a way to mark an incoming email based on which alias smtp address was used. I've got users with multiple alias' but the users aren't able to tell which address the sender used. Is this doable? I'd just want to append a text-flag to the end of the email or something.

I'm on Exchange 2010