Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

TheKingofSprings posted:

If I do a factory reset, can I redownload any paid for apps without having to pay again? I managed to recover my photos by syncing my phone, and aside from my contacts (which I can get fairly easily again the old fashioned way), those are the main things I can think of that I particularly care about remaining on my phone.

As well, any idea when the fix patch for the iOS 9 bug will drop?
Yes, your purchases are tied to your Apple account. Also, you should really put your contacts on either iCloud or Gmail or whatever account you have, so in the future all you'd have to do is add that account and they'd pop in automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
https://twitter.com/panzer/status/646424443405729792

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cawd Rud posted:

Yes, your purchases are tied to your Apple account. Also, you should really put your contacts on either iCloud or Gmail or whatever account you have, so in the future all you'd have to do is add that account and they'd pop in automatically.

It's time for my annual attempt to actually delete some god damned contacts. I've got my contacts syncing with both gmail (not exchange) and icloud, and every attempt I've made over the past oh 4 years has always resurrected them. Outside of moving to icloud only (I also use voice, so not having them both in icloud and gmail is troublesome to me), any idea what I need to do? I'm sure I haven't given enough information here, but I don't know what else is relevant.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

im full of poo poo posted:

If anybody just updated to ios9 and is mad about the podcasts app getting all hosed up again, this might help. They didn't remove the ability to create stations, they just deleted all your stations. You can make an "all unplayed" station again ("+" in top left from "my podcasts") and force it to play oldest-to-newest like the lord intended

There's no way to make an "On the Go" playlist though?

I used to just cherry pick specific episodes of a podcast to make a playlist, but it doesn't look like you can do that anymore. The closest is just picking episodes and adding to "Up Next".

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Other than being a lot easier to use, how is this different than text selection on an android? What was text selection like before? On android for me it's just a long press which brings up two moveable sliders with which you can select the region of the text you want.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Other than being a lot easier to use, how is this different than text selection on an android? What was text selection like before? On android for me it's just a long press which brings up two moveable sliders with which you can select the region of the text you want.
That's how iOS is as well, and it's still relatively imprecise and a pain. This new method looks great -- very similar to the two-finger touchpad functionality on iPad on iOS 9.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What the hell is Paper?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That's how iOS is as well, and it's still relatively imprecise and a pain. This new method looks great -- very similar to the two-finger touchpad functionality on iPad on iOS 9.

It was also available on more iphones before GM, where it was cut to force touch only apparently.

Fuckers.

Edit:

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the hell is Paper?

Alternative facebook app by facebook, supposedly has a better interface and I think maybe it was meant to be a companion despite having a fairly full feature set? I don't know, I avoid facebook whenever possible.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the hell is Paper?
https://www.facebook.com/paper

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Why does it have to be vastly different? It's an easier way to do an extremely common activity that most users do every day and that by itself is great. It's easy enough to login to a phone using a 4-6 digit code, or to buy apps with a password, but TouchID simplified this process. It's easy enough to pull out your wallet and pay with a debit card, but in many cases mobile payment made it easier and quicker.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Why does it have to be vastly different? It's an easier way to do an extremely common activity that most users do every day and that by itself is great. It's easy enough to login to a phone using a 4-6 digit code, or to buy apps with a password, but TouchID simplified this process. It's easy enough to pull out your wallet and pay with a debit card, but in many cases mobile payment made it easier and quicker.

Easy there tiger, you should reread my post without inserting an angry slant haha. I've never used a device with iOS, so I was legitimately asking. I agree that this method of being able to just slide left or right is WAY easier than trying to pinpoint exactly where you want to select. It's often clunky on android if you're trying to specifically select between two letters of a word, at least in my hands.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I didn't assume you were angry :O, I just recently was thinking to myself how small things like keyless remote entry to my car and TouchID have changed my behaviors in everyday life. How often did I fumble around my pockets for my keys or, in the case of editing an important message, stop walking in order to make a correction because the process was so annoying. The sum of modern technologies simplifications are becoming a lot more apparent in my everyday life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chakron posted:

Thanks for the info! Can I straight up have things in the cloud that I don't have on my phone? Throw 6 months of photos up there, delete them on my phone, keep them in the cloud. Sounds like I should be able to but if not I know that non-apple services can accomplish the task. No big deal but weird.

hotos added from other devices (be they computers, other iOS devices, etc) are kept in the cloud until you view them in full size, though it will still pull down thumbnails.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

hotos added from other devices (be they computers, other iOS devices, etc) are kept in the cloud until you view them in full size, though it will still pull down thumbnails.

I just spent far too long trying to figure out what hotos is an acronym for.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Edit: wrong thread

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you're backing up your phone for the first time and you have 19 GB to backup, it should take a while, right? What are signs the backup to iTunes is working properly?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Is that a Plus and the dude just has huge hands?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Jealous Cow posted:

Is that a Plus and the dude just has huge hands?

Looks like a 5S to me

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Snuffman posted:

There's no way to make an "On the Go" playlist though?

I used to just cherry pick specific episodes of a podcast to make a playlist, but it doesn't look like you can do that anymore. The closest is just picking episodes and adding to "Up Next".

Well, you just make a new station and call it on the go and add feeds to it, then delete the episodes you don't want. It sucks though, I agree.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Since updating to 9.0 I'm only getting a sound from my text notifications sporadically- maybe one time in three or so. Anyone else having this issue and/or have a solution?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

IllegallySober posted:

Since updating to 9.0 I'm only getting a sound from my text notifications sporadically- maybe one time in three or so. Anyone else having this issue and/or have a solution?

Definitely getting this and already posted about it here, not only in Messages but with other apps as well. No idea about a fix, seems like flipping the switch on the side to mute and then back to ring works sometimes. I even tried rebooting the phone but it's still happening. Pretty lame.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
My iCloud settings seem to have been automatically changed after the update to iOS 9. Is this only me? Suddenly I got an email that my iCloud account was nearly full, because someone (probably the government) has turned on photos backup in iCloud.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

IllegallySober posted:

AHHHH I was wondering why I kept missing texts

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

enojy posted:

The only way of going about this is choosing to "optimize storage" on your iPhone. This keeps full resolution copies on the phone until you reach a particular threshold of free space available, and then it starts replacing those full resolution photos with small versions, all the while keeping the full resolution copies on iCloud. I believe once you get to something like 5% free space remaining, only then will it start completely deleting photos.

If you manually delete photos from the phone, it will also delete them from your iCloud storage, so you may want to use something like Google Drive instead if you don't want photos staying on your phone. I'm kind of in the same boat, but it's not a bridge I've had to cross yet. I've only taken 2.61GB of (kept) photos in 2 or so years, so I'm not sure if it'll ever be an issue. Just know that "optimize storage" puts on-device photos in low priority, so if you're filling your storage up with music or videos or anything else, they (photos) will be compressed/deleted as needed.

Not the OP but I'll piggy back on this topic.. How does this work if the photos are consuming a huge chunk of space and you want to install a large app but aren't within the threshold where iOS starts dropping back to thumbnails? Is there any way to manually trigger a purge of full-res images?

I've also heard bad things (completely anecdotally) about syncing performance, where changes on one device will take literally days to sync to another. I've not tried iCloud Photo Library (my library's ~30gb so it's not something I can just try easily) but my experience of Photostream would back this up. How's syncing been for you?

Chakron posted:

Thanks for the info! Can I straight up have things in the cloud that I don't have on my phone? Throw 6 months of photos up there, delete them on my phone, keep them in the cloud. Sounds like I should be able to but if not I know that non-apple services can accomplish the task. No big deal but weird.

Completely out of interest, what other photo services are you considering? I don't like the idea of Google Photos as it sounds like there isn't a desktop companion app and everything's cloud-based. iCloud Photo Library is ideal for me if it works as claimed, but at this point I'm not sure whether to trust Apple on it.

I'm really on the fence between upgrading my ageing iPhone 5 to a 6S or jumping ship to Android for the Z5 Compact. I know this is the iPhone thread (and it's not a decision I take lightly - I'm an iOS developer and heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem personally!) but I just have too many niggles with the 6 that the 6S didn't improve upon.

Froist fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 23, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Froist posted:

Not the OP but I'll piggy back on this topic.. How does this work if the photos are consuming a huge chunk of space and you want to install a large app but aren't within the threshold where iOS starts dropping back to thumbnails? Is there any way to manually trigger a purge of full-res images?

I've also heard bad things (completely anecdotally) about syncing performance, where changes on one device will take literally days to sync to another. I've not tried iCloud Photo Library (my library's ~30gb so it's not something I can just try easily) but my experience of Photostream would back this up. How's syncing been for you?

Completely out of interest, what other photo services are you considering? I don't like the idea of Google Photos as it sounds like there isn't a desktop companion app and everything's cloud-based. iCloud Photo Library is ideal for me if it works as claimed, but at this point I'm not sure whether to trust Apple on it.

I'm really on the fence between upgrading my ageing iPhone 5 to a 6S or jumping ship to Android for the Z5 Compact. I know this is the iPhone thread (and it's not a decision I take lightly - I'm an iOS developer and heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem personally!) but I just have too many niggles with the 6 that the 6S didn't improve upon.

Does your carrier have that two week return policy? You can just try the phone out and bring it back if it sucks!

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Xabi posted:

My iCloud settings seem to have been automatically changed after the update to iOS 9. Is this only me? Suddenly I got an email that my iCloud account was nearly full, because someone (probably the government) has turned on photos backup in iCloud.

Didn't happen to me. Updated an iphone 6 and ipad air to 9. icloud photos were off on both, and remained off after the update. Just double checked, in both icloud and photos settings.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Froist posted:

iCloud sucks in my experience, and it's a drat shame that OS X's Photos.app doesn't support other cloud services for photos. I'm not so sure what the hang up is (maybe millions of people constantly clogging it up) but I've had pictures take over a day to sync.

I won't call myself a photographer, but the love of photography runs in my family, and it'll always be a hobby of mine. The super slow syncing kinda sours me on the iPhone photo-taking experience, as I wish I could take a 3MB photo and see it on my laptop a few seconds later, not hours later. Of course, this is hugely a first-world problem; I can just plug it in and sync over hardware. So it's not that big a grievance. iCloud just sucks at its job.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

tuyop posted:

Does your carrier have that two week return policy? You can just try the phone out and bring it back if it sucks!

I'm in the UK and it's cheaper for me long-term to stick on my SIM-only contract and shell out for the phone up front than to switch to a contract including the phone. Good idea though.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Violator posted:

My folks have iPhone 4 they refuse to upgrade because they don't want to lose their unlimited data plan with Verizon. No matter how many times I explain they're only using about 500 megs a month they won't upgrade out of principle. Can they use Apple's iPhone Upgrade Plan to get new unlocked iPhone 6s's and just switch the SIM cards to keep their current plans? Can they request new SIMs from Verizon since I think the newer phones use a smaller SIM than the old ones?

The Verizon iPhone 4 has no SIM since it's CDMA and doesn't have LTE.

I suspect Apple will be able to provide a nanoSIM for Verizon and move your folks over in store since they require the phone to be on a major carrier for the Upgrade Program. If not, Verizon corporate stores will be able to provide a SIM and help with changing the phones without changing the plan.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

enojy posted:

iCloud sucks in my experience, and it's a drat shame that OS X's Photos.app doesn't support other cloud services for photos. I'm not so sure what the hang up is (maybe millions of people constantly clogging it up) but I've had pictures take over a day to sync.

I won't call myself a photographer, but the love of photography runs in my family, and it'll always be a hobby of mine. The super slow syncing kinda sours me on the iPhone photo-taking experience, as I wish I could take a 3MB photo and see it on my laptop a few seconds later, not hours later. Of course, this is hugely a first-world problem; I can just plug it in and sync over hardware. So it's not that big a grievance. iCloud just sucks at its job.

I wonder why it's so inconsistent. I can take a photo and in just a minute it shows up on my Mac/iPad/iCloud.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I wonder why it's so inconsistent. I can take a photo and in just a minute it shows up on my Mac/iPad/iCloud.

And photo stream has always been rock solid from day one. Syncs photos in like 30 seconds. Of course, the photo stream album isn't on in my Photos.app, and that seems like a strange problem because my cursory googling returned nothing.

I don't think I'd use photos.app if I used my Mac for photography anyway. Importing into a Lightroom catalogue via Dropbox would make a lot more sense, especially since I don't know why you'd use photos for DSLR RAWs when you're probably going to want some developing settings and photoshop integration right in the library.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

xzzy posted:

A full backup and restore has always brought in all apps for me, same folders and everything.

So I don't know what's up with that.

It brings the apps back (slowly) if you have icloud backups too, but will lose the state in many of them.
Logins, podcasts, data, music etc. will all be gone if you do not sync all the apps from your phone to your PC first, then sync them back after the restore.

e.g. podcasts, downloaded files, videos.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I never understood why everyone clamoured for these crappy 3rd party keyboards in the first place. I just presumed they were non-iPhone users trying to find a reason to hate, and because the default android keyboard is (was?) so bad, they presumed the iOS one was shite too.

Not sure why they caved and added them, nobody seems to give a crap.
They haven't added them in a useable way, the functionality is badly broken - that's why noone is talking about or recommending them.

The stock Android keyboard is currently much better than the iOS one btw, try it sometime. The iOS keyboard *used* to be much better, but that was largely a function of the OS as a whole being much less laggy. It always had it's problems though, exacerbated for me by the screens being so narrow (now fixed).

tuyop posted:

The good news is that the iOS keyboard is by far the best touchscreen keyboard I've used, and other people in the thread have echoed this sentiment. The bad news is that third party keyboards are a shitshow and really not worth using unless your habits avoid the bugs. I've never tried the predictive text thing because it takes way longer to parse the words on the top than it does to muscle memory+glance for the correct character.

I totally disagree about the iOS keyboard, it's had significant problems for a long time (like the just fixed keycaps not showing case), and has far slower access to symbols and numbers compared to the stock android keyboard.

It also has no swipe functionality, which is incredibly useful for one handed use.

Have you used a (recent, stock) Android phone or Windows 8 Phone recently?

I think 3rd party keyboard support in iOS has been deliberately starved of attention to slow adoption and prove Apple's earlier design choices were correct. While not deliberately coded to be broken, the functionality must at least be assigned to a below-par team, who do not use their own code - noone with the power to fix it would put up with this brokenness for years.

wooger fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 23, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Know what else is useful for one handed use? Non-huge phones.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Definitely getting this and already posted about it here, not only in Messages but with other apps as well. No idea about a fix, seems like flipping the switch on the side to mute and then back to ring works sometimes. I even tried rebooting the phone but it's still happening. Pretty lame.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Cool. Hopefully 9.1 that's already in beta or whatever fixes it because this is annoying as hell.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

If I do a factory reset, can I redownload any paid for apps without having to pay again? I managed to recover my photos by syncing my phone, and aside from my contacts (which I can get fairly easily again the old fashioned way), those are the main things I can think of that I particularly care about remaining on my phone.

As well, any idea when the fix patch for the iOS 9 bug will drop?

What bug are you talking about?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

IllegallySober posted:

My text notification sounds have been sporadic as well, and I no longer get Tweetbot notification sounds at all :(

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

IllegallySober posted:

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

IllegallySober posted:

Cool. Hopefully 9.1 that's already in beta or whatever fixes it because this is annoying as hell.

They've obviously slipped this one in there deliberately to get you to buy an Apple Watch.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Froist posted:

They've obviously slipped this one in there deliberately to get you to buy an Apple Watch.

No joke. I have no idea if I'm experiencing this problem as well because all notifications have been going just fine to my watch. Haven't missed a one.

Violator
May 15, 2003

fordan posted:

The Verizon iPhone 4 has no SIM since it's CDMA and doesn't have LTE.

I suspect Apple will be able to provide a nanoSIM for Verizon and move your folks over in store since they require the phone to be on a major carrier for the Upgrade Program. If not, Verizon corporate stores will be able to provide a SIM and help with changing the phones without changing the plan.

Hot diggity! Thanks for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Xabi posted:

Same happened to me, I turned it photo backup off and it turned itself back on too the next day. Hopefully it actually stays off now. :mad: