Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

It all depends on the costs involved. A buyback of this scale is not unprecedented. Toyota did it with Tacomas.

Not quite. Toyota's buyback was 'conditional' depending upon the amount of rust present on the frame. It was 'their option' whether or not they bought back the vehicle, repaired it, replaced it, or simply warranted it:

quote:

Should a customer's vehicle experience this condition, they will be requested to present it to any Toyota dealer for inspection. Upon confirmation of rust perforation, Toyota will, at its option, repair or repurchase the vehicle. If it is determined that no rust perforation is present, the extended warranty will be in effect for 15 years from original sale.

It also was not mandatory, this was a proactive move by Toyota. No recall was involved.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

blugu64 posted:

I still think it doesn't matter, that series of VINs should be marked as void and unregisterable, seize crush etc.

Yes it sucks for the consumer, go sue VW.

How about we go crush all the lovely trucks and SUVs that get to basically ignore emissions because they're body on frame. A CR TDI is still cleaner than 99% of the giant trucks and suvs people drive around daily. Just ban diesels in the US unless it's going in a big rig at this point, the amount of emissions bullshit you have to do to the engine to make it "clean" basically makes it not worth doing. There's a reason that basically only 1 company in the US even offers small diesels anymore.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blugu64 posted:

I still think it doesn't matter, that series of VINs should be marked as void and unregisterable, seize crush etc.

Yes it sucks for the consumer, go sue VW.

veedubfreak posted:

How about we go crush all the lovely trucks and SUVs that get to basically ignore emissions because they're body on frame. A CR TDI is still cleaner than 99% of the giant trucks and suvs people drive around daily. Just ban diesels in the US unless it's going in a big rig at this point, the amount of emissions bullshit you have to do to the engine to make it "clean" basically makes it not worth doing. There's a reason that basically only 1 company in the US even offers small diesels anymore.

Pretty much what he said. Even with the cheat and the emissions issues, its still probably one of the cleanest, most fuel efficient cars in the US right now.

The sad part is all the SUVs that are currently dominating the market that couldn't even begin to touch the combined emissions/fuel efficiency of the TDIs, yet they get a pass.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CommieGIR posted:

Not quite. Toyota's buyback was 'conditional' depending upon the amount of rust present on the frame. It was 'their option' whether or not they bought back the vehicle, repaired it, replaced it, or simply warranted it:

It also was not mandatory, this was a proactive move by Toyota. No recall was involved.

Moot point. The idea is that the prospect of buying back hundreds of thousands of vehicles is an option that's been explored by an automaker and found to be viable which means it's certainly not off the table for VW.

Again, not one has offered another viable course of action if VW admits "Guys, if we do this flash your valves with be completely caked over in carbon after 10k miles and the engine will basically become undrivable."

The EPA is not going to go "well, ya tried your best, here's a fine and you can leave the cars alone." The emissions must be mitigated for them to be roadworthy and they are only going to attempt to mitigate them if the end result doesn't make the vehicle a drastically different product.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Okay, large SUVs and trucks emit worse. Do they emit 30 to 40 times worse?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Moot point. The idea is that the prospect of buying back hundreds of thousands of vehicles is an option that's been explored by an automaker and found to be viable which means it's certainly not off the table for VW.

No, its not a moot point as one would be a recall, the other was not. Two different scenarios.

bull3964 posted:

Again, not one has offered another viable course of action if VW admits "Guys, if we do this flash your valves with be completely caked over in carbon after 10k miles and the engine will basically become undrivable."

The EPA is not going to go "well, ya tried your best, here's a fine and you can leave the cars alone." The emissions must be mitigated for them to be roadworthy and they are only going to attempt to mitigate them if the end result doesn't make the vehicle a drastically different product.

The flash wouldn't cause that, at worse, it would cause the EGR to have clogging issues (yes, they still had an EGR even with the cheat.)

The EPA is still unlikely to demand a universal buyback and seizure, they will probably leave that between the consumer and VW, only demanding that VW MUST take steps to mitigate/correct the cheat and offer a buyback at the owners discretion.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty much what he said. Even with the cheat and the emissions issues, its still probably one of the cleanest, most fuel efficient cars in the US right now.

They're a lot dirtier (40x?) than the 2.0 4cyl diesel engines BMW and Mercedes have on the US market, seemingly without a problem.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

veedubfreak posted:

How about we go crush all the lovely trucks and SUVs that get to basically ignore emissions because they're body on frame. A CR TDI is still cleaner than 99% of the giant trucks and suvs people drive around daily.

I agree though it's totally irrelevant, they were built/sold legally(as far as we know). The answer isn't to break the law or try and cheat the system. Change the system or have your car turned in to a cube, regardless if its a H2 or Prius.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

No, its not a moot point as one would be a recall, the other was not. Two different scenarios.

You are missing the point entirely. Recall has nothing to do with this. The question is whether or not a carmaker is capble of removing a large number of their vehicles from service due to a flaw.

quote:

The flash wouldn't cause that, at worse, it would cause the EGR to have clogging issues (yes, they still had an EGR even with the cheat.)

The EPA is still unlikely to demand a universal buyback and seizure, they will probably leave that between the consumer and VW, only demanding that VW MUST take steps to mitigate/correct the cheat and offer a buyback at the owners discretion.

If an advanced EGR inspect/replace schedule would have prevent this from coming up, they would have done so.

The EPA is simply going to demand that every vehicle still on the road is mitigated within a specific timeframe or taken off the road. It's up to VW to determine what that course of action will be. However, that course of action will have fallout. If it decreases fuel economy, VW is going to be hit with a class action suit, have to re-certify fuel economy, and likely fined by the Department of Commerce for selling a fraudulent product. If it decreases performance, they are still going to be hit with a class action lawsuit and likely be investigated and fined by the commerce department. If it decreases reliability, then they are looking at increased maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle. If they push vehicle buyback, they still have the EPA penalties to deal with, but they don't have to deal with the Department of Commerce investigation as the specifications of the vehicle didn't change after the sale. A class action suit will likely lose a lot of it's bite as well as a buyback would likely go above and beyond damages that would have otherwise been rewarded.

This is all just on the federal level though. States get to weigh in on this as well. CA may decided that TDI's can't be registered in the state regardless of mitigation. It's within their rights to do so. Attorney Generals of several states are already starting investigations that could have wide range of consequences.

This is a huge, gigantic, massive deal. It goes far beyond a recall and a fix.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

blugu64 posted:

I agree though it's totally irrelevant, they were built/sold legally(as far as we know). The answer isn't to break the law or try and cheat the system. Change the system or have your car turned in to a cube, regardless if its a H2 or Prius.

emissions is going to be the new SJW cause for at least the next week before a flavor of cheetos and a microaggression on the bus they can tumblr about takes hold

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

You are missing the point entirely. Recall has nothing to do with this. The question is whether or not a carmaker is capble of removing a large number of their vehicles from service due to a flaw.

If an advanced EGR inspect/replace schedule would have prevent this from coming up, they would have done so.

The EPA is simply going to demand that every vehicle still on the road is mitigated within a specific timeframe or taken off the road. It's up to VW to determine what that course of action will be. However, that course of action will have fallout. If it decreases fuel economy, VW is going to be hit with a class action suit, have to re-certify fuel economy, and likely fined by the Department of Commerce for selling a fraudulent product. If it decreases performance, they are still going to be hit with a class action lawsuit and likely be investigated and fined by the commerce department. If it decreases reliability, then they are looking at increased maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle. If they push vehicle buyback, they still have the EPA penalties to deal with, but they don't have to deal with the Department of Commerce investigation as the specifications of the vehicle didn't change after the sale. A class action suit will likely lose a lot of it's bite as well as a buyback would likely go above and beyond damages that would have otherwise been rewarded.

This is all just on the federal level though. States get to weigh in on this as well. CA may decided that TDI's can't be registered in the state regardless of mitigation. It's within their rights to do so. Attorney Generals of several states are already starting investigations that could have wide range of consequences.

This is a huge, gigantic, massive deal. It goes far beyond a recall and a fix.

Watch this not happen to this scale. You live in corporate America. Not the EPA's America.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

VW isn't a US company. On top of that, many of their cars are imported from Mexico which is a bit of a hot button issue right now. No politician is going to expend political capital protecting Wolfsburg. If anything, they are going to use it to deflect attention away from the recent GM settlement by coming down even harder.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Theyre absolutely gonna hammer the poo poo out of a foreign company

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

go3 posted:

Theyre absolutely gonna hammer the poo poo out of a foreign company

I suspect VW would more likely withdraw from the US market. Which means closing the plants they just recently built in places like Chattanooga.

I'm more worried about what that is going to do.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect VW would more likely withdraw from the US market. Which means closing the plants they just recently built in places like Chattanooga.

I'm more worried about what that is going to do.

I don't think you'll see anything nearly this dramatic. They've already scapegoated the CEO who probably had no idea this was even happening in his company and they'll pay a fine and move on. People will forget about this by and large.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

I don't think you'll see anything nearly this dramatic. They've already scapegoated the CEO who probably had no idea this was even happening in his company and they'll pay a fine and move on. People will forget about this by and large.

I hope so. And you are more than likely correct, and like many companies before their fine won't even be 1/10th of max.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
an EPA fine is the least of their worries

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

go3 posted:

What, criminal proceedings? Someone will take the fall, sure. Recalls? Something will be figured out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

veedubfreak posted:

Ah, the Tom Brady defense. I don't think it'll work this time. "I'm too good to be held accountable for cheating" isn't going to fly on something like this.

go3 posted:

To the tune of up to $18B. Yeah, that's the least of their worries. :rolleyes:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 24, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Cratered consumer confidence is kind of a big deal and that doesn't require any sort of fines or investigations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
You guys thinking there's a difference between a multinational conglomerate that used to be american and a multinational conglomerate that isn't much american make me lol, politicians are 2-faced pragmatists not idealists. Have you paid no attention to how politics has operated for the past 20 years

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

StandardVC10 posted:

Okay, large SUVs and trucks emit worse. Do they emit 30 to 40 times worse?

Depends how you spin it. Diesel and gas have different emissions levels for different components. If you want to talk about CO2? Sure, the TDI is superior. But if you talk about CO or NOx, an F150 is "cleaner" than a TDI engine (to a ridiculous degree when you take the 10-40x levels into consideration). They have different emissions levels for different components so it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The United States is not going to let the EPA hand out a death blow to Volkswagen. It would be the worse thing for US/Germany relations since the Eighth Air Force came to town.

What there isn't a limit on is the damage VW just did to clean diesel specifically and its brand overall. If I was a dealer I'd seriously be looking at breach of contract on the part of VW and getting the gently caress out. In 10 years VW is going to wish the loss was only 18b.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

go3 posted:

The United States is not going to let the EPA hand out a death blow to Volkswagen. It would be the worse thing for US/Germany relations since the Eighth Air Force came to town.

What there isn't a limit on is the damage VW just did to clean diesel specifically and its brand overall. If I was a dealer I'd seriously be looking at breach of contract on the part of VW and getting the gently caress out. In 10 years VW is going to wish the loss was only 18b.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of political sit down over this between Germany and the US.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of political sit down over this between Germany and the US.

I would be. It's not a political issue, Germany has not wronged anyone, it's a private automaker.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

go3 posted:

gently caress it, this is how round 3 begins, Germany is always involved

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

I would be. It's not a political issue, Germany has not wronged anyone, it's a private automaker.

Volkswagen Group is the 11th largest company in Germany, and this hits the EU as well. It wouldn't surprise me.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

bull3964 posted:

VW basically has no future in diesel in the US from here on out.

Some have speculated that because of VW, diesel passenger cars basically have no future in the US from here on out.

Though the mainstream auto industry starting to take electric cars seriously may also be a contributing factor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cockmaster posted:

Some have speculated that because of VW, diesel passenger cars basically have no future in the US from here on out.

Though the mainstream auto industry starting to take electric cars seriously may also be a contributing factor.

Even with electric cars, diesel had a future. Probably not anymore, thanks VW.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

21% of VW voting rights owned by the state of lower saxony, and always has board members from there, and Porsche-owned shares are run by VW. That's like saying Amtrak is a privately owned train operator.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Some analysts are speculating that the extreme drop in stock price could make them a takeover target for Fiat since they've been looking for a partner. Doubt it will happen, but you never know after all the financial realities shake out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Some analysts are speculating that the extreme drop in stock price could make them a takeover target for Fiat since they've been looking for a partner. Doubt it will happen, but you never know after all the financial realities shake out.

Chrysler and VW under the same roof? What could go wrong?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I would imagine they will stop selling Diesels in the USA, and try to rebuild the brand from scratch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

daslog posted:

I would imagine they will stop selling Diesels in the USA

Kinda already did that part.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

CommieGIR posted:

Chrysler and VW under the same roof? What could go wrong?

SRT-10 Bentley Continental/Porsche Cayman

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

bull3964 posted:

Kinda already did that part.

Yes they did. I was thinking they will stop forever....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

daslog posted:

I really hope not :(

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So poking around at the VW/Audi SUVs made me start liking the Q5. Are the 2011-2013 years decent? Low-mid 30s for a premium plus model?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

daslog posted:

In the US, yes this is pretty much guaranteed.

Assuming that they managed to design a new engine that actually conformed to US emissions regulations before EVs completely take over the market segment, it would be an exceedingly stupid business decision. Who the hell would buy them after this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

blugu64 posted:

SRT-10 Bentley Continental/Porsche Cayman

But in reality we'll get more of this