Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The more things change the more they stay the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Glory of Arioch posted:

what, you couldn't make 300 botania runes and 10,000 ordo and auram

scrub

I know. The shame. I should have just let the game run passively in the background until the weekend and let it auto accumulate all the necessary materials. But then I realized I'd rather have my system resources being applied to something I was actively enjoying.

EricFate fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 23, 2015

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I'm getting, "Authentication servers are down. Please try again later, sorry!" when using Technic and only when using Technic (Minecraft vanilla and FtB work just fine). What's the fix for this?

I tried google for an answer but things like logging out of the launcher or restarting my network connection didn't resolve the issue. :(

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Taffer posted:

lol @ anyone who uses dayblooms past getting their first good flower up

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Big Trees not only passively create mana, they also generated completed research notes with their bark and paying a resource cost will attract bees of specific stats you want without breeding. Gnome houses you attach will automatically mine resources from the ether like mining lasers and granting said gnomes dynamos will force them to work inside like a sentient hamster wheel.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Someone please make Big Trees a thing.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
To be honest, I mostly like the botania change. But I also like the big trees idea for the same reason project e is sometimes fun.

bigperm posted:

Someone please make Big Trees a thing.
If you sleep within 3 chunks of a big tree sometimes murderous gnomes will leer over you while you sleep just like five nights at freddy's.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 23, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

KakerMix posted:

Something inside me was hoping Vaz wouldn't do the MC Modder Thing and go moderately insane, really. Not sure why :(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gonna be real here, a mod with trees along the lines of botania flowers that do a bunch of weird poo poo would be pretty cool

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

KakerMix posted:

Time is a flat circle square. Everything we have ever done or will do, we are going to do over and over and over again.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Gnomes inside the trees will pull cranks for Rotarycraft systems without needing lubricant

attaching computer systems to the tree roots lets the gnomes upload unapproved modpacks to third party sites without the consent of the mod maker

servers running the trees will be incapable of also running a cash shop for actual money

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jam a spigot into a tree with BLOOD SAP and BLOOD LEAVES and use it to fill buckets with life essence. OR, have the trees drip it directly onto an altar using some convoluted setup.

something something pipes

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

jam a spigot into a tree with BLOOD SAP and BLOOD LEAVES and use it to fill buckets with life essence. OR, have the trees drip it directly onto an altar using some convoluted setup.

something something pipes

You get blood sap from blood trees, that you have to boil down from 1000 mb to 1 mb using buildcraft refinery or something.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

let's make tree sap the new bees

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

MineCraft Modding: From Big Bee to Big Tree, overpowered by our Industry.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I know you guys are trying to make jokes about awful/exploity trees but I actually do kindof like the idea of growing a magic tree that you then modify to make it do things. Like a really weird multiblock structure.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

McFrugal posted:

I know you guys are trying to make jokes about awful/exploity trees but I actually do kindof like the idea of growing a magic tree that you then modify to make it do things. Like a really weird multiblock structure.

i was actually entirely serious about liking the idea of it. putting resources into growing a magical tree that does different things based on how you grow it would be really cool.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

McFrugal posted:

I ain't joking. :colbert:

Magically loving around with tree genetics would be neat, and having to support them with things like specific pollens, soils, waters and solutions to keep the tree healthy would also be neat. Foresty without the pain in the arse.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm 100% in favor of big multiblock trees that act as generators and which you have to grow up. I'd definitely prefer a weird and over the top approach to "let's match soil nutrition to water nutrients!" kind of deal though.

I wouldn't mind if it's overpowered, but then again we're talking about Minecraft Modders. These people will call anything OP. It's so weird seeing things as simple as being able to warp home restricted to very post-endgame tech.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Something inside me was hoping Vaz wouldn't do the MC Modder Thing and go moderately insane, really. Not sure why :(

The blog post was too long and ranty for me to bother with but the change is good. Spamming poo poo passive stuff has been a path in mc modding since the first solar panels showed up, and it's awful. It's terrible gameplay, it's terrible for servers, it's grindy, the list goes on. I have personally on my servers seen someone build a field of dayblooms and nightshades 2000+ strong, and while I was impressed that it wasn't worse on the server than it was, it was still bad. And dumb.

Removing that entirely from gameplay is good game design.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't think modders have learned not to try to be everybody's mom when it comes to using their stuff. Then again, given ... gees, a year-and-a-half of following all this, I've seen people complaining about passive generation in other stuff cyclically. I remember one guy getting complaints from one of their server's players that they're going to going to use all the passive stuff due to how easy it is, and it makes no sense to try any of the other stuff unless the passive stuff is completely removed. I remember suggesting somebody make a mod that has a creeper appear behind them, blow up when they turn around, and print a message that it will keep happening until they build a reactor.

The big problem here is how hard it is to figure out how any of this stuff works. If I want to find out, it's always YouTube poo poo that's somehow always 30 minutes, and about 20 minutes of it is them showing off things they've done in their base, 5 minutes is loving up making the stuff they need, 2 minutes is actually interacting with the topic in question, and a good solid 3 minutes goes to them just saying "um" and other embolalia. I don't think I figured out the TE dynamos until I had been on mechaet's server and had seen them in action.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
As a legit mod big trees does sound cool, I also like the idea of a mod being a straight gently caress You to as many mod progression paths as possible

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Taffer posted:

The blog post was too long and ranty for me to bother with but the change is good. Spamming poo poo passive stuff has been a path in mc modding since the first solar panels showed up, and it's awful. It's terrible gameplay, it's terrible for servers, it's grindy, the list goes on. I have personally on my servers seen someone build a field of dayblooms and nightshades 2000+ strong, and while I was impressed that it wasn't worse on the server than it was, it was still bad. And dumb.

Removing that entirely from gameplay is good game design.

Except that problem was already solved with the default-on decay time config option. If you have a server and don't want it murdered by passive flowers (and don't trust your users to behave sensibly) or don't want to be tempted by "easy mode", leave the decay on. If you like having the option of set-and-forget generation and don't care about the server overhead, turn it off. Taking away the config option is 100% MUH VISION bullshit. I agree that daybloom/nightshade spam is terrible, but I don't see how endoflames or any of the automatable active generation flowers are any less grindy than hydroangeas since the only difference is the amount of infrastructure needed to make them completely hands-off.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

What about people who like to use pretty Botania flowers for decoration? Because they are pretty.

Perhaps make it so they only decay if you pull mana from them? That way you can still use night/day blooms for decorations?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vib Rib posted:

I'm 100% in favor of big multiblock trees that act as generators and which you have to grow up. I'd definitely prefer a weird and over the top approach to "let's match soil nutrition to water nutrients!" kind of deal though.

I wouldn't mind if it's overpowered, but then again we're talking about Minecraft Modders. These people will call anything OP. It's so weird seeing things as simple as being able to warp home restricted to very post-endgame tech.

i honestly couldn't give a poo poo about something being 'overpowered' as long as it requires a suitable amount of setup. a tree that continually produces leaves that can be clipped off and thrown into a mana pool to produce mana would be pretty cool.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fenrisulfr posted:

Except that problem was already solved with the default-on decay time config option. If you have a server and don't want it murdered by passive flowers (and don't trust your users to behave sensibly) or don't want to be tempted by "easy mode", leave the decay on. If you like having the option of set-and-forget generation and don't care about the server overhead, turn it off. Taking away the config option is 100% MUH VISION bullshit. I agree that daybloom/nightshade spam is terrible, but I don't see how endoflames or any of the automatable active generation flowers are any less grindy than hydroangeas since the only difference is the amount of infrastructure needed to make them completely hands-off.

I'm ok with gameplay design stuff being not configurable. I think general numbers should be adjustable to allow modpack makers to build something cohesive, but if an aspect of the overall mod design is integral in the authors mind, that's fine to leave locked.

Players of mods often feel like they get to dictate what the mod author should do, but the developers are making their own thing and distributing it themselves, they don't owe anything to the players.

That doesn't mean their decisions have to be agreed with if course, for example I think azanor is a big tosspot and that the gameplay of thaumcraft is awful, despite having lots of cool aspects. But it's his mod, and my choice is to play it or not play it, not complain a ton when he decides to take it in a different direction and feel entitled that the mod should be made in my vision.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I remember one guy getting complaints from one of their server's players that they're going to going to use all the passive stuff due to how easy it is, and it makes no sense to try any of the other stuff unless the passive stuff is completely removed.

Haha, this was my awful friend on my server and at the time I ended up finding a Bukkit plugin that I could configure to prevent only him from crafting, placing, or otherwise interacting with Mekanism windmills. Since then my solution has been to just ignore his bullshit. He still makes lovely passive-aggressive comments to me whenever he plays about the amount of ore (he thinks it's too abundant, of course).

edit:

Taffer posted:

I'm ok with gameplay design stuff being not configurable. I think general numbers should be adjustable to allow modpack makers to build something cohesive, but if an aspect of the overall mod design is integral in the authors mind, that's fine to leave locked.

Players of mods often feel like they get to dictate what the mod author should do, but the developers are making their own thing and distributing it themselves, they don't owe anything to the players.

That doesn't mean their decisions have to be agreed with if course, for example I think azanor is a big tosspot and that the gameplay of thaumcraft is awful, despite having lots of cool aspects. But it's his mod, and my choice is to play it or not play it, not complain a ton when he decides to take it in a different direction and feel entitled that the mod should be made in my vision.

I agree with this but I also love that things like Minetweaker exist. I draw comics and if a reader told me how to do it I would probably want to tell them to gently caress off too, so I can't pretend mod makers are required to bend over backwards for players if it's not what they want to make. On the other hand... I think one of the best things about Modded MC these days is you can basically make the game whatever you want thanks to all the stuff that lets you make new recipes. Minetweaker and Modtweaker are godsends. But even then, if mod makers are willing to let those tweaks work then that's great, but if they're not then they're not, and that's pretty much the end of it.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 23, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Tell him he can make a lossy ore automation process that automatically takes 1/NUM ore and just dunks it into a Nullifier before proceeding normally. Or donate it via a communal ender chest. Or just dump it as an entity for tears from his skull fortress. Your awful friend is awfully uncreative.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Sage Grimm posted:

Tell him he can make a lossy ore automation process that automatically takes 1/NUM ore and just dunks it into a Nullifier before proceeding normally. Or donate it via a communal ender chest. Or just dump it as an entity for tears from his skull fortress. Your awful friend is awfully uncreative.

If I ignore him he just gives up. It's not like he can make me do anything about it.
He also refuses to use AE because whenever I talk about it it sounds "too complicated" so I don't know what the gently caress he wants or even is getting out of the game.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Fortis posted:

If I ignore him he just gives up. It's not like he can make me do anything about it.
He also refuses to use AE because whenever I talk about it it sounds "too complicated" so I don't know what the gently caress he wants or even is getting out of the game.

some spergs just want to watch the world grind

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Glory of Arioch posted:

some spergs just want to watch the world grind

Last time I checked on his base I found no fewer than 8 Tconstruct crafting tables and a huge array of wooden chests. No storage drawers, no barrels, not even a single iron chest in sight.

Art through adversity, I guess.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If he complains that mining is not tedious enough, make a special mining dimension for him. It is all bedrock except for a 3x3 perpetual tunnel. He can just go down there and swing a hammer at it.

If he complains hammers are OP then I guess he gets a 1x2 tunnel.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't think modders have learned not to try to be everybody's mom when it comes to using their stuff. Then again, given ... gees, a year-and-a-half of following all this, I've seen people complaining about passive generation in other stuff cyclically. I remember one guy getting complaints from one of their server's players that they're going to going to use all the passive stuff due to how easy it is, and it makes no sense to try any of the other stuff unless the passive stuff is completely removed. I remember suggesting somebody make a mod that has a creeper appear behind them, blow up when they turn around, and print a message that it will keep happening until they build a reactor.

The big problem here is how hard it is to figure out how any of this stuff works. If I want to find out, it's always YouTube poo poo that's somehow always 30 minutes, and about 20 minutes of it is them showing off things they've done in their base, 5 minutes is loving up making the stuff they need, 2 minutes is actually interacting with the topic in question, and a good solid 3 minutes goes to them just saying "um" and other embolalia. I don't think I figured out the TE dynamos until I had been on mechaet's server and had seen them in action.

Yeah really this is where I'm at. Most of these mods aren't actually hard to do once you know what you're doing, I'm just not willing to watch two hours of bad youtube videos to find the eight minutes of content I need to actually learn how the gently caress the mod works. I do passive/simple setups because they're what I know how to do, not because I'm not interested in cool multiblock structures.

Hell, I'm even probably going to finally overcome my aversion to BigReactors and set one up because Wolpertinger has been telling me how to do it and from what I can tell it's basically "mass produce cryotheum or resonant ender, fill a reactor multiblock structure with them, put in a fuel rod, receive several thousand rf per tick for the next week." I've just had seizures every time I've tried to sit through a goddamned half hour video about the mod so I've never learned it.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

EricFate posted:

Well, that didn't take long.

gregtech revisited

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

Yeah really this is where I'm at. Most of these mods aren't actually hard to do once you know what you're doing, I'm just not willing to watch two hours of bad youtube videos to find the eight minutes of content I need to actually learn how the gently caress the mod works. I do passive/simple setups because they're what I know how to do, not because I'm not interested in cool multiblock structures.

Hell, I'm even probably going to finally overcome my aversion to BigReactors and set one up because Wolpertinger has been telling me how to do it and from what I can tell it's basically "mass produce cryotheum or resonant ender, fill a reactor multiblock structure with them, put in a fuel rod, receive several thousand rf per tick for the next week." I've just had seizures every time I've tried to sit through a goddamned half hour video about the mod so I've never learned it.

Its easy, make first a 3x3x3 so fuel rod inside the casings, that is the first start, you can then go to 3x4x3 and have 2 fuel rods

The target is a 7x7x3 with 9 fuel rods in a 3x3 in the middle, and liquid ender round the outside. have a fluid import on the side and 2 on top, one on top changed to red.
then you add the turbine 7x7x15 on top.

i usually start with siny metal blocks but then you need 32 ludicrite blocks and you have a max power gen.

The ports on the turbine match the fluid ports on the reactor red-red blue-blue

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What's this turbine poo poo

Also I love you for your simple, functional text guide

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

What's this turbine poo poo

Also I love you for your simple, functional text guide

Turbines change the reactors from passive cooling to active cooling and produce way more power for less fuel use.

With one of my reactors and turbines on the modsauce server i was on i was making 32,000 RF/t for each reactor and i had 3 and fuel use was something like 0.04mb/t

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had something in BFSR to build one, but HQM stinks for formatting text. The quest text just makes it kind of rough. It really needs pictures and diagrams. I hope Shukaro gets his HQM stuff out, although I loath the thought of migrating.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had something in BFSR to build one, but HQM stinks for formatting text. The quest text just makes it kind of rough. It really needs pictures and diagrams. I hope Shukaro gets his HQM stuff out, although I loath the thought of migrating.

Enchiridion books are able to put in pictures I believe. You could just take some pictures of a basic 3x3 reactor and put them into the book. Give the book with the quest for Yellorite or something.

By the way, loved BFSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Musluk posted:

By the way, loved BFSR.

:agreed: