Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

limp_cheese posted:

Any serious answers or is it just going to be people being assholes?

Play Endless Legend instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can also suggest Cities Skylines and The Witcher 3.

BTW, on the Witcher 3, I'm about 12 hours in and things are finally starting to "click" for me. Like the combat and the movement. I love the game so far (haven't played the other two) but it definitely has a big learning curve, compared to my normal games, Kerbal Space Program and Skyrim.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

I play very few Civ games, and I found it quite easy to pick up. The game constantly throws hints and tips at you, and most of the play styles I tried seemed viable. One thing I did find very useful is the culture upgrade that lets you get science for killing aliens. You probably want to kill the aliens as you explore anyways, and getting science for it makes it much easier to justify producing a small army to go exterminating without falling too far behind economically.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

limp_cheese posted:

I'm being serious. I've played roughly a billion games of Alpha Centauri, and would probably enjoy it if I reinstalled and had a game now. But, the half a dozen times I sat down to play Beyond Earth, I quit out of boredom an hour in. It's not bad per se, it's just incredibly blah. The storyline boils down to "Earth is crappy so humanity went to another planet." The other civs are just faces with no personality. Expansion and research are slow, the tech tree is mushy and boring, the aliens just sorta wander around and do nothing. In an amazingly boneheaded move, you have to hit the 'move' button on the interface every time you want to order a unit to move, you can't just click on the map. The whole UI is pretty clunky.

Oh, and they just released DLC costing $30 that gives you the ability to colonize the ocean, whoopie doo.

Steam has been pretty liberal with refunds the past few years. Get your money back and buy Endless Space or Endless Legend.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

I searched through the thread and collected up all of the tips that had already been shared in the past.

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Civilization:_Beyond_Earth

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Centipeed posted:

I searched through the thread and collected up all of the tips that had already been shared in the past.

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Civilization:_Beyond_Earth

Thank you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I was really expecting a full page of "REFUND BUY SOMETHING ELSE".
Anyway, since I didn't really get to starting it off proper since then, I'll repeat my question of what should I know before playing Expeditions: Conquistador since there's a fuckton of things to put points into and at least some of those gotta be dump stats.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Anyway, since I didn't really get to starting it off proper since then, I'll repeat my question of what should I know before playing Expeditions: Conquistador since there's a fuckton of things to put points into and at least some of those gotta be dump stats.

I remember I cut a few points out of tactics, because it just lets you place more traps and barriers in combat, and they're not really necessary 95% of the time. Note that your soldiers themselves add to your stats, so getting more priests increases your diplomacy, etc.

For other things:

- You only need 1 scholar, and you shouldn't bring them into combat. Their buffs/debuffs aren't really worth using compared to just having another fighter
- Ranged attacks are pretty awful, they often miss, line of sight is hard to get, and they don't do much damage. Having one archer is a good idea, but you want to mainly go melee
- Priests are vital, since they're your only healers. I always promoted them first.
- You want a mix of soldiers to tank and stun, and scouts to set up flanking
- When choosing your soldiers, pay attention to their traits. If you want an easy time, try and avoid clashing personalities (like having half your team being racist aethiests and the other half being tolerant christians) since it means almost every decision you make will piss someone off. If you like the idea of managing morale and things, then just pick who you like.
- At the end of the game, you are graded heavily on how much money you bring home, being nice to everyone will have consequences
- 1 or 2 fights can happen so early that they're pretty much unwinnable They involve your camp being attacked by a hugely superior army, just go with it.
- There's an unmarked point of no return on the first island, I'm afraid I don't remember exactly where it is, but I remember it meant I missed out on completing a quest to help heal a priest. It's best to focus on clearing all the side quests as you get them, before you push forward the main quest.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Use two of the skirmish fighty men with flanking skills to win every fight in the game

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

anilEhilated posted:

Here is a post about it I made before

GrandpaPants posted:

I just finished it, so here goes.

Character Creation
-Herbalism is a trash skill, since you get a ton of medicine throughout the game. Unless you really, really suck at the combat, then you can probably safely skip it. Hunting is likewise kinda trash, but less so than Herbalism.
-You get +11 Leadership by endgame through promotions, so it's up to you whether you want to start at 9 or start at 10. Leadership affects morale which affects crit rates, and it's not that hard to actually get decent crit builds going, especially with Hunters.
-I don't imagine you're going to do much with Diplomacy if you're going to be a historical conquistador that is focused more on racism and murder, but it's obviously a good pick to avoid combat or provide alternate solutions that don't involve burning things to the ground. Tactics and Scouting also get a fair number of dialogue options.

Expedition Members
-Try very hard not to get members with conflicting personalities. That is, don't have a mixed group of Racists and Open-minded people, otherwise you're stuck doing a dumb balancing act.
-Proud is the easiest trait to trigger morale bonuses, since you get it for pretty much not failing. Try not to fail that often.
-Pious does not trigger negative morale that often, and you can build a chapel in Mexico that gives Pious people morale every week.
-Don't have more than 1-2 Narcissistic types and level them up first.
-NPCs that join you tend to not have "negative" traits. In other words, they're not greedy, racist, narcissistic, etc. Some of them are Aggressive though, which conflicts with Peaceful, so keep that in mind, but I think the ones that are are usually Proud as well, so you can work around it.
-I took 2 doctors, 2 scouts, 2 hunters, 1 scholar, and 3 soldiers. Scouting is a super useful skill (since it gives you more movement) and Scouts give you that, but they also Patrol during camp, which is far less useful than Guarding. Scouts are kinda poo poo in battle too since they are fragile as hell, although they do a ton of damage and are fast. If I had to do it again, I would probably switch a scout with a soldier, but it's your call.
-You get another soldier almost immediately in Hispaniola unless you suck. Try not to give her too much experience at the start though since she leaves for a bit.

Game
-If you are a damage dealing class (Soldier, Hunter, Scout, and their native equivalents), Keen Eye is a phenomenal skill to get. Fortune Favored is likewise good if you're at max morale (10% crit).
-Sexist is a great skill if you're a damage dealing class and you're female. The Amazon starts with this (for free, essentially) and thus she is the best damage dealer in the game.
-Soldiers are overall great classes that have high melee attack, high defense, and Stun at level 2. Stun is the best skill in the game since it not only protects people (by virtue of a stunned enemy not doing damage to you), but also provides tactical options since stunned characters don't take attacks of opportunity, so you can swarm them with your dudes when before someone would have likely eaten an attack to move around to attack. This is especially useful against the heavier classes like Soldiers, Warriors, Champions, and Amazons.
-Invent the carts first, since they give you extra movement. You will be drowning in wood and metal by end game, so that's not that important. Your Scholar can do the first two tiers easily, the last tier will require him/her to be level 3.
-Hispaniola doesn't have any secrets (that I remember?), but absolutely explore Mexico. You can find such wonders like the fountain of youth, El Dorado, and a death god. Fun, all around.
-The Hispaniola quest The Gloaming is available near the end game. You have a relatively small window (plot wise) to complete this quest. Do NOT give any experience points to the guy you get during this quest, since he will stay on Hispaniola and not go with you to Mexico.
-In the beginning, try not to camp on roads. You take a huge penalty to guard, and when you lose resources from theft, it's percentage based. Losing thousands of valuables in a night, let alone multiple nights, loving sucks and makes you a lovely conquistador since you're all about the ducats. Have a ton of good Guards by Mexico, though, since a large chunk of it is Plains, which are functionally as lovely as roads without the movement bonus.
-When you're asked to destroy a village in Mexico, that is a point of no return for that particular faction. Until then, you are free to work with/against both. Note that one faction will ask you to raze a farm, which is one quest before you have to raze a village for that faction.
-The northwest corner of the Mexico map has your fort (follow the road). You will have to build it up, so feel free to beeline it to here first before exploring.
-If you want to get the Conquistador achievement, you will have to have 500 soldiers in your garrison by the final fight. The number of troops in your garrison is a number that increases daily based on the facilities you have at your fort, so feel free to camp out a while.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm playing Shadow of Mordor right now because I like living behind the times and am cheap. I've read the wiki entry but is there anything else? I've heard for a good challenge that I shouldn't upgrade health. Anything else of import?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Morpheus posted:

I'm playing Shadow of Mordor right now because I like living behind the times and am cheap. I've read the wiki entry but is there anything else? I've heard for a good challenge that I shouldn't upgrade health. Anything else of import?

Nah, its not a particularly tricky game. Just things to note for maximum enjoyment:

The best part of the game is loving around in the open-world and hunting orcs and playing with the nemesis system. Before you get too caught up in that, though, make sure you play some story missions. You need to unlock a few abilities to really enjoy the nemesis system fully, and halfway through you open up an entirely second area of the game.

Try not to kill too many orcs with finishing decapitations, if you do they die permanently. That's cool and eventually if you die somebody will take their place, but half the fun of the game is when you beat an orc to within an inch of his life and he limps away, only to show up 2 hours later in the middle of hunting some other orc, and he's like "I want my loving revenge on you!" and you're like "Oh poo poo its that guy!". So don't kill everybody for good. Stabbing them is fine, they may or may not survive, but probably will. Just don't do too many decapitations, though sometimes you'll want to.

The biggest thing is, as you kill orcs they die permanently on Sauron's army roster. The game is way more fun when you have a ton of cool named orcs around to show up and surprise you. If you do kill a ton of the orcs, all you have to do is select one of the towers and press "pass time" or something like that, and it'll respawn Sauron's army with new orcs for you to meet and kill. Its optional so you don't have to do it, but most people don't realize they can and end up killing most of the orcs and then don't have as much fun. Don't be afraid to pass time. You can also just die, dying also makes new orcs appear and increases orc ranks, but if you don't want to just kill yourself and you haven't died naturally in awhile, pass time. I think that's what it was called, "pass time", something like that.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, go into a Forge Tower, open the map, and press (IIRC) B, and it'll fast-forward the game a bit -- new orcs will spawn, existing ones will be promoted, power struggles/hunts/trials/executions will all be resolved without your intervention. Also the weather/time of day will change.

Personally I find that it's more fun to find the biggest, nastiest stronghold I can and challenge the entire population to a duel. The orc that finally brings me down gets a place on the captain's roster! :black101:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Morpheus posted:

Beeline the main story until you get the second map before you dick around in the sandbox, because by then you've unlocked all the cool powers and the game opens up nicely at that point.

If things get stale, it can be fun to just wade into an orc base and pull a Boromir so that your death shakes up the orc hierarchy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone for the conquistador tips, now I'm off to exploit the hell out of some natives.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Try not to kill too many orcs with finishing decapitations, if you do they die permanently. That's cool and eventually if you die somebody will take their place, but half the fun of the game is when you beat an orc to within an inch of his life and he limps away, only to show up 2 hours later in the middle of hunting some other orc, and he's like "I want my loving revenge on you!" and you're like "Oh poo poo its that guy!". So don't kill everybody for good. Stabbing them is fine, they may or may not survive, but probably will. Just don't do too many decapitations, though sometimes you'll want to.

I was dicking around last night with this - what triggers a decapitation? Is it only when the triangle+circle finisher is performed on them? Or is there another way to trigger them? For example, will they die permanently if I interrogate then then crush the throat or whatever?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Morpheus posted:

I was dicking around last night with this - what triggers a decapitation? Is it only when the triangle+circle finisher is performed on them? Or is there another way to trigger them? For example, will they die permanently if I interrogate then then crush the throat or whatever?

Yes, its only the triangle+circle finisher. You can interrogate them to "death" and they should have a chance to come back. Anything other than Triangle+circle and they should appear to die but won't die for real necessarily, but triangle+circle should put them down.

If it works like I think, anyways. I think there was some disagreement over what triggered what? its been awhile.

E: Internet makes it sound like you have to pull off the "wraith finisher" combo to do it. I think that was Triangle+circle?

I should play more shadow that game was fun.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 25, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly sure the decapitation thing is a myth, it just makes them come back sporting a stylish metal collar.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Morpheus posted:

How do you get it to display PSX button prompts instead of XBox ones

tell me

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

How do you get it to display PSX button prompts instead of XBox ones

tell me

It would be pretty impressive if my PS4 version of the game displayed Xbox prompts.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anything for Disgaea 4? There's no page for it on the wiki, though there's one for the three prior games, in case any of that might be applicable.

I'll be playing the Vita version if that makes a difference.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Immortal Defense? Nothing on the wiki and I feel I'm not playing this game right.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Morpheus posted:

It would be pretty impressive if my PS4 version of the game displayed Xbox prompts.

Oh right, it's on consoles too. :doh:

I have the PC version and it appears to be hard-coded to display XBox prompts, which means I fail the QTEs constantly because I'm used to a PSX controller and have never used an XBox.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Does anyone have anything for Earth Defense Force 2025? Seems straightforward enough, but anything on which guns or classes are crappy would be appreciated.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MockingQuantum posted:

Anything for Disgaea 4? There's no page for it on the wiki, though there's one for the three prior games, in case any of that might be applicable.

I'll be playing the Vita version if that makes a difference.

I posted about it before. This is based off the PS3 version but if I know my Disgaea remakes this should still all apply.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Terminally Bored posted:

Immortal Defense? Nothing on the wiki and I feel I'm not playing this game right.

What exactly are you having trouble with? I have about twenty-five hours in it so far.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Justin_Brett posted:

What exactly are you having trouble with? I have about twenty-five hours in it so far.

I played for eight hours but still have no idea what's going on. Specific questions then:
- Why do the mobs move in different patterns? The game says they speed up on straight paths and slow down on turns but sometimes they straight up teleport further down the path. And there are different colors to the path that change the speed too but it's really hard to see. Sometimes mobs stop for a while for some reason.
- Does the game expect me to turn all the weird graphical effects off? I can't see anything when the fighting gets hectic.
- What's the secret to beating the first Love challenge? Am I expected to spam the special attack constantly?
- What's the deal with strategist points? Do they make other points shoot at your cursor, too? Does that work with those close to the strategists?
- Some mobs are invincible even if I use Fear points for some reason. How do I counter them?
- There are missions where I'm given Danmaku points but can't afford them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

owl_pellet posted:

Does anyone have anything for Earth Defense Force 2025? Seems straightforward enough, but anything on which guns or classes are crappy would be appreciated.

Best guns: All the guns. No, but seriously it's a matter of taste. Though in general you're going to want something that can hit things close up and something that can hit things far away. Rocket launchers and machine guns are a good mainstay. If playing the support guy, I'd recommend a mech when you unlock it, everything else is kind of lacking, though not quite terrible (except some of the ones that are).

Try them all out at least once - my favourite is the grenade that detonates with enough power to kill you and everything around you and can't be thrown more than ten feet. In the 360 EDF game I used a more powerful variant of that to throw into deep holes, making the system chug and killing dozens of bugs at once.

Classes: The fencer sucks. I've heard that constantly and I'm inclined to agree based on the fact that he moves so loving slowly. His first missile launcher requires the support class and a specific weapon from it to use. Unfortunately from what I've seen in the dozen missions or so I've played him he doesn't really get enough firepower to make up for these problems. The ranger and, uh, jetpack lady are good single-player options, as they're versatile and very mobile. The support guy is alright, but really only fits in multiplayer, where someone else can make up for your lack of firepower when you aren't piloting a slow-rear end (but deadly) mech around the level.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Terminally Bored posted:

I played for eight hours but still have no idea what's going on. Specific questions then:
- Why do the mobs move in different patterns? The game says they speed up on straight paths and slow down on turns but sometimes they straight up teleport further down the path. And there are different colors to the path that change the speed too but it's really hard to see. Sometimes mobs stop for a while for some reason.
- Does the game expect me to turn all the weird graphical effects off? I can't see anything when the fighting gets hectic.
- What's the secret to beating the first Love challenge? Am I expected to spam the special attack constantly?
- What's the deal with strategist points? Do they make other points shoot at your cursor, too? Does that work with those close to the strategists?
- Some mobs are invincible even if I use Fear points for some reason. How do I counter them?
- There are missions where I'm given Danmaku points but can't afford them.

- There's a little bastard of an enemy called a Zig Engine that will make guys speed up if they get within range of it. They're the orange guys that kind of look like a star. If you see a burst of sparks on the path that's their effect activating. Guys just stopping is if the Path ahead is colored red. It changes randomly and green lets them move down it like usual.

- If it's getting in the way there's no reason not to turn it down, the only thing it effects in gameplay is one Medal you get for beating a level with it on max, and it doesn't offer that useful a bonus.

- Couldn't tell you, haven't done that one.

- The game describes that a bit unclearly; what the Strategist points do is make all the bullets near that enemy converge on them all at once when their shots hit it. So Courage, Cut, and Limited Points all work pretty well with them.

- Those are probably Dark Shields/Armors. They can only be damaged from the back. Limited Points counter them pretty well since they tend to swing around, and Circuit Points damage them regardless.

- There's one Medal you can get by acquiring a Million cache in one mission (or maybe a short period of time? Not entirely sure) which lets you place Points for one cache each. I got it by getting all my Points to max in an endurance mission and then selling them.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 28, 2015

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

owl_pellet posted:

Seconding the other guy saying that Fencer is crap all around, and Air Raider truly shines in MP, not so much in SP. Not sure if you played Insect Armageddon, but the Wing Diver here has a much less brutal fuel/weapon leveling curve than the old Jet Armor, so if you struggled to have fun with him, you'll do much better with her. Plain vanilla Ranger is great everywhere, only lacking in the zooming around department.

In addition to the one short range, one long range rule, I'd also encourage you to pack one common, high-ammo bread n' butter weapon and one explosive that can knock down a building in one or two shots. Assault Rifle and Rocket Launcher fit the bill magnificently, but you might want to goof around with turrets, grenade launchers, missile weapons and so on to see what's good. Sniper Rifles are pretty great when facing down big bosses, less so in every other case.

If you're sticking with Wing Diver or Air Raider, you'll eventually have to stop and grind out some more armor since their growths are so small compared to Ranger and Fencer and you'll just start getting creamed in parts that those guys are able to tank through. All armor drops add the same amount of armor, no matter what difficulty or mission number you're playing, so choose one with a lot of easy, farmable enemies and just go to town. If I remember right, there's a good one in the second dozen missions.

Weapons, on the other hand, do depend on mission number, difficulty, and class level. You can try grinding out some of the better gear earlier on, but unlike armor there's a limit to how successful you'll be.

im cute fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 29, 2015

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The best class: Air Raider

The best gun: A tank :black101:

Seriously though, if you have even a friend to couch co-op with, give Air Raider a try. It really shines when there are other people around to wantonly murder with your airstrikes HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW RANGER make better use of your vehicles and support pylons with. Though there are plenty of single seat tanks and mechs to turn yourself into a walking arsenal, but you're slow as molasses in the mechs and the tanks are relatively fragile.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP)

The wiki says this:

beforeiplay.com posted:

If you use the crafting system for only one thing, make it weapon upgrades. It's a really bad crafting system and outfitting everyone with updated stuff takes way too drat long, but weapons alone will make a big difference. A prime example is the +1 shortbow. When crafts start getting any significant chance of failure, savescum it. You owe it to yourself to make crafting as painless as possible.

which is 100% true. But if you're playing it in an emulator, or on a PSP with custom firmware and cwcheat installed, you can make the crafting system a lot less painful. The codes are the same for both the EU and US versions.

EU header:
code:
_S ULES-01500
_G Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together [EU]
US header:
code:
_S ULUS-10565
_G Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together [US]
You definitely want this one:
code:
_C0 Crafting success rate 100%
_L 0x201285B4 0x10000015
_L 0x2012860C 0x340200FF
You might want some of these too, depending on taste:
code:
_C0 All crafting ingredients x98
_L 0x802E8574 0x00560001
_L 0x00000062 0x00000000
_C0 Crafting doesn't consume materials
_L 0x2008B9C8 0x10000003
_C0 Can craft with insufficient materials
_L 0x201214F0 0x34110063
The first one removes the tedium of turning raw ore/wood/etc into the ingredients you actually need (it only affects things used exclusively for crafting, not other inputs like weapons or tarot cards). The second means that as soon as you have all the parts for something, you can make as many copies as you want. The last just lets you craft things as soon as you have the corresponding recipe. Even the last one is probably not too unbalanced since you still need the levels/skills to actually use the stuff you make, and any of them will make crafting a lot less bullshit.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP)
If you're playing it in an emulator, or on a PSP with custom firmware and cwcheat installed, you can make the crafting system a lot less painful. The codes are the same for both the EU and US versions.
Seconding this, it should be mentioned in the wiki entry because enabling crafting cheats makes it bearable to work with and sometimes the equipment boosts from crafting are what turns a terrible unit into a more usable one.

Any tips for Shin Megami Tensei II?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything for Sorcerer King?

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Any tips for Mad Max?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Nohman posted:

Any tips for Mad Max?

- Early game scrap: You get quite pitiful amounts from picking up caches and leftovers from smashed vehicles, though it adds up of course. A better source is to look for Scrapulances (a type of car, looks like a pickup with a sack of scrap on the back). They show up as a cogwheel icon on the minimap. Hijacking one and taking it to a Stronghold nets you 500.
- Mid-game scrap: With a bit of armor on your car, if you get caught in a dust storm, hang out and look for the Muthaloot boxes. Harpoon them and smash them for 3x100 scrap each.
- Late-game scrap: You get automatic scrap from captured camps every so often, so prioritize those when starting on a new region. They are the only real way to get the amounts you need for the last upgrades. There is a Project you can build that collects scrap for you while not playing (you get it when you start up the game again while online).
- You get a ton of levels over the game and many of the challenges are things you just get without really trying. I wouldn't spend Griffa tokens on leveling your Legend rank if you have anything else to buy. It only gives you a partial level anyway (that is, one token == one of the ten levels you need to earn the next rank).
- The thunderpoon unlocks late in the Gutgash part of the main story. If you wish to rush the story to unlock things, that's a good point in time to aim for.
- If you interact with a unbuilt project in a Stronghold, it will mark the places on your map where you can find project parts for it.
- Death races serve as fast travel points. Just get close to them to activate it.
- Hot air balloons reveal a few things on the map from just ascending. Look around while you are up there: Anything you spot will also be added, but only after you mark it with your binoculars.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 1, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Golden Goat posted:

Any tips for Shin Megami Tensei II?

IIRC you need INT on your main character to talk to demons and not gently caress it up constantly.

Maybe that was only in SMT1 but I think it was in 2 as well.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
80 Days has been sitting on my iPad for awhile; I've poked around it a little, but haven't ever properly started it.

Recently, they dropped a free content update. Guess now might be a good time to give it a real go.

Any non-spoilery tips for getting started?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Keep an eye out in markets for stuff you can sell for more in cities that you plan on travelling through. This can help immensely with avoiding bank delays and getting the fastest and most expensive modes of travel.

Ask people about ways to travel whenever you can.

If you're ever stuck in a city with a bank for a day or two, it's a good idea to get whatever money out of it you can in the time you're stuck there. Be careful not to miss trips though.

You probably won't make it the first few times. Just keep exploring and get familiar with the general routes and you'll get it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Making a general travel plan "I'm going to cross the steppes" or "I'm going through Asia" and some general geographical knowledge also helps, because you can buy appropriate stuff you come across.

IIRC, extra luggage is generally a good idea. Having enough space to carry an extra item that you can sell later on usually pays for itself.