Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Xenophon posted:

Trump has really ramped up his Fiorina and Rubio twitter game in the last week or two, but yeah, he's just sending out little orcs for now. The Eye is focused.

e: Recent case in point:

So Trump thinks that all the other Senators running for President have better voting records than Rubio? :bernget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Boosted_C5 posted:

Clinton vs. Trump:

June: Clinton + 20.5%
July: Clinton + 14.8%
August: Clinton + 4.25%
September: Clinton + 2.83%

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html#polls

Your latest Maginot Line won't stop Trump. Keep moving the goalposts, and keep watching him charge past.

It's funny watching leftists laugh at the GOP and tease them for "creating a monster" that they cannot control.

Look in the mirror. You've done the same thing. You've created an electorate of boobs, and Trump will turn them against you. Nothing you can say or do, no candidate you can put forth, no policy or enticing handout you can propose will be able to detract from the brilliant luster of this golden coiffed mad-man. The 2016 election for President of the United States of America is a TV Reality show brought to life, on the biggest stage, drawing the biggest TV audiences, and wildly entertaining to the biggest drooling idiots in America.

Obama, Kerry, Gore, Clinton, etc. - they ALL won the uneducated and low income vote HANDILY. The reality is that America's trailer trash isn't voting GOP, they've been voting for you. Trump will steal your true base, your true source of power, away from you. You've created a monster - a tidal wave of ignorant voters. They often did the country a favor and sat at home, and refrained from cancelling out intelligent and thinking peoples' votes. But you wanted to WIN. You tirelessly devoted money, resources, and labor to driving these people to the polls, turning them into active participants in the political process despite the complete uselessness of their uninformed opinions. You didn't care if they brought the country down to their level, as long as you got to run the hell-hole they created.

But you made a grave mistake. You assumed you'd always have them in chains. You assumed they'd never escape your plantation, and would perpetually respond to your condescending pats on the head and table scraps with their votes. But along came Donald J. Trump. A golden idol to stupid people everywhere. They will follow him into the abyss, and you cannot possibly hope to wrench away their attention or appeal to their pathetic minds.

YOU have created the golem, and Donald J. Trump has tamed it and will ride it to your destruction.

This is terrific work. :golfclap:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Boosted_C5 posted:

Your latest Maginot Line won't stop Trump. Keep moving the goalposts, and keep watching him charge past.

So you're saying that building a large border wall is a bad policy?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Joementum posted:

So Trump thinks that all the other Senators running for President have better voting records than Rubio? :bernget:

Sadly Trump will just say that he meant Rubio misses a lot of votes, which is true.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Trump, of third grade reading level fame, should know not to use such an ambiguous phrase. He should've said "attendance" for the double bonus of getting a "Rubio looks like a child" dig in.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If the arguments about how the political mechanism of the GOP Primary hadn't convinced me that he's overwhelmingly unlikely to win, I'd be terrified by the populist power of Trump.

That said, I'm just raptly watching to see how the GOPlane crashes into the Trump Towers.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 22, 2016

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

So you're saying that building a large border wall is a bad policy?

The problem isn't the wall, it's stupid leaders.

The French are a great people. Wonderful pastries. But let's be honest, when it comes to fortifications, they're losers. The Maginot line? A complete joke.

Trump's border wall will be impenetrable. It's going to be huge, it's going to be done right and under budget and ahead of schedule.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Anyone know why Boehner is resigning at the end of Oct?

My guess would be he has to get Democrats to work with him to avoid a shutdown and the GOP was gonna dethrone him in retaliation.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Did I just hear the radio right and John Boehner is resigning?

fake edit: holy gently caress http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/us/boehner-will-resign-from-congress.html

skaboomizzy posted:

My guess would be he has to get Democrats to work with him to avoid a shutdown and the GOP was gonna dethrone him in retaliation.

Also my thought.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
The war against the GOP successfully marches on. Another great day for conservatives. Bury Boehner's corpse next to his loyal lackey Cantor.

Your days of hiking our taxes, taking our money, and funding baby butcher shops are soon coming to an end.

After we've dispatched the collaborators in our midst, we'll turn our sights on you.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Boosted_C5 posted:

Clinton vs. Trump:

June: Clinton + 20.5%
July: Clinton + 14.8%
August: Clinton + 4.25%
September: Clinton + 2.83%

The post you quoted was about primary voters, not the general electorate.

That's like showing an O'Malley vs R poll and saying it proves he has significant support in the Democratic primary.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 25, 2015

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

You can't fire me, I quit?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 22, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

But why not just step down as Speaker? Or do you just walk out so as not to live with the humiliation upon returning to the House as a normal congressman?

Pretty much exactly that. Plus this way he can get the clock ticking on his one-year restriction against lobbying. Boehner will be cashing in by the end of next year rather than putting it off to sit around as a has-been backbencher.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Patter Song posted:

Trump, of third grade reading level fame, should know not to use such an ambiguous phrase. He should've said "attendance" for the double bonus of getting a "Rubio looks like a child" dig in.

As if he'd use a three-syllable word.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

James O'Queef shoots at Planned Parenthood and hits the GOP directly in the head.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
holy gently caress a broken boehner

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

He's a Catholic and just had a visit from the Pope so it's probably because he doesn't want to go to hell.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

pope had a private meeting with him

it probably went something like

yo the poor are important

I understand

shutting down the government hurts the poor

I don't understand

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

boehner is always weepy, and possibly a drunk

feel the raging hard boehner

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Boehner's actions are the kind of hollow cop-outs that show voters how little their elected officials give a poo poo about them. He was elected by the people of Ohio to represent them for 2 years, and all of a sudden things get a little tough and he picks up his ball and goes home. Boehner, like Eric Cantor, Sarah Palin and many others I'm too lazy to google, would rather bail on the people he swore to represent while he ramps up his efforts to get a private sector job (my gut tells me he already has one lined up) then finish out the term to work for the people he swore to represent.
There would have been no shame (ok well, a little shame, but not much) in simply giving up his gavel and finishing out his term in congress, but if he winds up in a lobbying firm on the first day of eligibility, it puts a black eye on congress as a whole, and only helps out the "outsiders" currently running for office.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

If the Hillary emails were to be believed, he's become a bitter, depressed alcoholic over how politically impotent he is as Speaker.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

boehner is always weepy, and possibly a drunk

Come on John, don't cry at work. Do it at home, at church, whatever. Just not when you have a guest at the office.

Father Wendigo posted:

If the Hillary emails were to be believed, he's become a bitter, depressed alcoholic over how politically impotent he is as Speaker.

This sounds fascinating. Source?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Riosan posted:

Come on John, don't cry at work. Do it at home, at church, whatever. Just not when you have a guest at the office.

This sounds fascinating. Source?

The Hill, talking about one of the released email exchanges:

quote:

Hillary Clinton’s close confidant called John Boehner an “alcoholic,” “lazy” and a weak leader in a scathing email sent the night of the 2010 midterm election, when a Tea Party wave swept House Republicans into power.

“He is louche, alcoholic, lazy, and without any commitment to any principle,” Sidney Blumenthal wrote to Clinton, then the secretary of State, in a lengthy “post-midterms” memo.

Blumenthal went on to say that Boehner, who became Speaker shortly after the election, had tried to “buy” some potential GOP opponents in his conference with campaign contributions and plum committee assignments. Blumenthal also said Boehner had a weak grip on his conference and is “despised” by younger, more conservative members.

“His hold is insecure. He is not [Newt] Gingrich, the natural leader of a ‘revolution,’ riding the crest into power. He is careworn and threadbare, banal and hollow, holding nobody's enduring loyalty,” Blumenthal wrote in the Nov. 2, 2010, email. “Boehner is beholden and somewhat scared of his base. He twitches when they make gestures that might undermine his position. His impulse is to hand out money. …

“But Boehner is neither feared nor loved. He's a would-be [Tom] DeLay without the whip. He's the one at the end of the lash.”

“Thx, as always, for your insights,” Clinton wrote back, though she didn’t reference any specific remarks about the future Speaker.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

pathetic little tramp posted:

Trump gets one thing right. Deportation is in fact something a president can do. Other candidates talk about how they'll balance the budget or overturn abortion and those are literally the job of the legislature. I'm voting for trump if for no other reason than the fact that he actually understands the drat job.

I give this troll post a 5/5 gj!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

if boehner had no principals, he would of folded more often

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Third World Reggin posted:

if boehner had no principals, he would of folded more often

I'm not sure how this makes any sense. Who would he have folded to more often? The democrats or the tea party?

Please elaborate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I mean that is kind of an accurate-sounding characterization, but he's got to have some measure of political acumen to wrangle his caucus for as long as he has, given that a significant portion spent its time in permanent revolt.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Actually it would really hilarious if the day after the Pope delivered an address on the evils of seeking money for the sake of money, only feet away from him, Boehner decided to quit politics so he could pull in that sweet green

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

I mean that is kind of an accurate-sounding characterization, but he's got to have some measure of political acumen to wrangle his caucus for as long as he has, given that a significant portion spent its time in permanent revolt.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the idea that he wrangled his caucus seems to imply he accomplished things. I am unaware of any accomplishments.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
And the real question now is going to be - who's next? The more sensible side that doesn't want a government shutdown is going to have a hard time finding someone who wants to run, having seen what happened with Boehner, let alone gets chosen; the tea party side is full of loons.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Joementum posted:

The current Democratic primary is probably most like 1968 with Hillary as LBJ

Not true at all. LBJ wasn't running in 1968. We found out many years later that he had secretly considered running and tapes were released of him making phone calls amidst the DNC riots offering to show up and announce at the last minute... but he ended up not doing it because his security people said it'd be too dangerous for them to go to Chicago on such short notice.

edit--

Plinkey posted:

Did I just hear the radio right and John Boehner is resigning?

fake edit: holy gently caress http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/us/boehner-will-resign-from-congress.html

O_O

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 25, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Love Stole the Day posted:

Not true at all. LBJ wasn't running in 1968. We found out many years later that he had secretly considered running and tapes were released of him making phone calls amidst the DNC riots offering to show up and announce at the last minute... but he ended up not doing it because his security people said it'd be too dangerous for them to go to Chicago on such short notice.

He was running until the end of March. Hence the Hillary comparison: a candidate with a lock on the nomination but with downward trending favorability who would open up the field for the Vice President should they leave the race.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Joementum posted:

He was running until the end of March. Hence the Hillary comparison: a candidate with a lock on the nomination but with downward trending favorability who would open up the field for the Vice President should they leave the race.

I really REALLY don't want something terrible to happen to Warren, so we need to stop this comparison post haste.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

NotWearingPants posted:

I'm not sure how this makes any sense. Who would he have folded to more often? The democrats or the tea party?

Please elaborate.

I feel if he had no principals, he would of been able to use his powers of speaker of the house to help pass federal budgets always on time. His principals are, in my mind, a reason why budgets were not always passed in a timely manner.

The speaker has quite a bit of power over this process.

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

Xenophon posted:

The Hill, talking about one of the released email exchanges:

You know the word louche? Somebody's pulling me out on the streets and you're louche?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Cruz's speech at the 2015 Voter Values Summit is being live-tweeted.
1. The country is in crisis!
2. Rescind all illegal executive orders
3. Open DOJ investigation into PP videos
4. "I will instruct DOJ, IRS, and every other federal agency that the persecution of religious liberty ends TODAY!"
5. Iran deal bad!!!
6. Move US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, "the once and eternal capital of Israel"
7. Repeal all of Obamacare
8. "I will instruct the Department of Education -- which should be abolished -- that Common Core ends TODAY!" (not sure how this fantasy plays out in his mind, does he show up to tell them this but there's a "Closed" sign on the door, or...?)
9. Rebuild our military (it's been decommissioned?)
10. "We will finally, finally, finally secure our border" (so final)
11. Simple flat tax, abolish the IRS
12. Reagan Revolution came from America rising up, not from Washington
13. Conservatives unite!!!
14. *a wet fart*

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

In this weird fantasy conservative libertopia, are there any government departments or facilities left at all besides DoD? I can't wrap my mind around it. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Trump is the only republican who could win an election.

Hillary can't beat trump.

Embrace the end.
Hail Satan.

How do people end up believing these insane ideas with no basis in fact?

• Locked thread