Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Does anyone remember microbytes in Quebec?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

EngineerJoe posted:

You mean aside from the guy on the last page who brought them up? :v:

Yes, I do.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, but their whole business model has seemed quasi-sketchy since they started. It's been a while since I've been in one, but the last time I visited one of their stores about 10 years ago, the whole place had a "No officer, all these products just fell off the back of a truck." vibe.
Canada Computers had more problems than that. in the early 2000's they had a big rep for two things, one was offering different pricing if you spoke Cantonese and the second was re-bagging returned products for sale as new, especially if the customer return was due to defective goods. Which in fairness was also the old Tigerdirect.ca playbook too.

My only two experiences with them have been bad, but they've never got a dollar out of me so I wish them well as they expand out to everywhere.

In the end, I wish Canada's citizenry could just be declared one big wholesale operation and we could all just buy direct from Ingram Micro rather than having to gently caress around with increasingly disappointing middlemen portal site for drop-shipped Ingram packages. It still breaks my heart that Amazon.ca punted their PC parts business and that I didn't get in on their insane closeout firesale last year.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Skandranon posted:

Canada Computers really needs to update their website... it's barely changed over the last 10 years. Pathetic really.

It's pretty needs-suiting, don't know what you'd need to update it with.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

EngineerJoe posted:

Does anyone remember Compusmart? Holy poo poo were they ever a racket. Their entire business model was "Let's charge 15% more than our competitors why aren't we making money waaahhhh!"

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Migishu posted:

Does anyone remember Compusmart? Holy poo poo were they ever a racket. Their entire business model was "Let's charge 15% more than our competitors why aren't we making money waaahhhh!"

They made up for that with super awesome Boxing Day sales although I think that just hastened their fall.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
The Canada Computers store in the west island of Montreal is a nice establishment. Doesn't look like any sort of white-vanning that some people mentioned above.

Maybe they changed over the past 10 years? Sure, why not.

I've never really had any problems with them, other than it's a 3hr round trip to the closest store. They said they were looking to build one downtown but that's been delayed until god knows when.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Chris Knight posted:

It's pretty needs-suiting, don't know what you'd need to update it with.

Because technology changes? Their navigation is terrible and the site is slow and painful to use. Sure, it functions, but so did Geocities pages.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
CanadaComputers is weird, the turnover at the stores is insanely high and as a result people range from really helpful to completely indifferent. So much stuff is locked up despite many of the stores having multiple alarms/scanners at the entrances, its annoying to sit there waiting 30 minutes for someone to just open a case and get an item. Their price match policy is total bullshit and they will sometimes fight you hard on warranty/return stuff even if its totally innocuous. I often make sure I put all of my purchases on my credit card there so I can dispute the charges and its a good thing because I've had to threaten it twice. The website and store prices often have huge discrepancies too which is frustrating. A few times an item has scanned higher than the advertised price on the website and I have to point it out to get it resolved. This happens everywhere to some extent but far too often at CC to be an honest mistake. They also used to do some pretty shady stuff with laptop COAs and I caught them more than once selling a used item as new.

On the other hand its one of the few places left where I can walk in and grab a videocard without waiting 2-5 days.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Like, every experience of mine with CC is the total opposite of what this thread is saying. Before they came around the idea of a local shop for enthusiasts that was stocked AND good was a fantasy. Been a customer of theirs ever since they were just a tiny glass booth at Pacific Mall. I've found nothing said so far to be true.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Ditto here, right down to that lovely cubicle/fishbowl of theirs at Pacific Mall. They've been pretty reliable ever since. NCIX is good as well but their backorder system can eat a dick sometimes.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I've only ever had an excellent experience with Canada Computers and find their prices to be very agreeable, especially their daily sales. v :) v

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone ever go to ATIC in Vancouver? They had quite the scammy rep.

I told a guy specifically to NOT take his laptop there for repairs but he misheard me and thought I meant he should take it there. They held on to it for weeks without doing any work and when he went to go get it another disgruntled customer came in for some other reason and got into a fistfight with a sales guy.

So many of those shady places in Vancouver even still, surprising that NCIX's dominance hasn't killed them all off. Part of me wonder if these places are just hobbies or tax shelters or even some kind of immigration loophole (open a small business for easy citizenship).

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Isn't NCIX itself an umbrella of 6-7 different physical store brands and websites? Maybe they keep a 'fighter' brand like the phone companies and equally misheard their true intent.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

some kind of immigration loophole (open a small business for easy citizenship).

That might explain the place down the street from me. The storefront's served at least three or four different computer stores in the last twenty five years, usually with one crapping out within a few months to a year, but this one's been squatting there for a decade or more. It's run by a nice guy, I think he's Nigerian or Ethiopian, but the poo poo on the shelves there is often just ancient. Seems to see more repairs than sales too, for that matter.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

I told a guy specifically to NOT take his laptop there for repairs but he misheard me and thought I meant he should take it there. They held on to it for weeks without doing any work and when he went to go get it another disgruntled customer came in for some other reason and got into a fistfight with a sales guy.

So many of those shady places in Vancouver even still, surprising that NCIX's dominance hasn't killed them all off. Part of me wonder if these places are just hobbies or tax shelters or even some kind of immigration loophole (open a small business for easy citizenship).

Ohhhh man, Atic, what a poo poo-heap. They fully and totally embraced the computer store ethos of "There are eight sales-people sitting around doing nothing while one person helps a lineup of 40 people."

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

priznat posted:

Back in the 90's a friend of mine bought a monitor from ATIC. Less than a month after he bought it it died so he brought it back (from Kamloops no less) and they did everything in their power to prevent the exchange. Eventually they allowed it though after a lot of arguing. Then the replacement monitor died a few weeks later and they refused to do anything because it was 30 days past the original purchase date. My friend had to find out who their distributor was and use them as leverage to get them to listen to reason.

Another fun store for different reasons was Frontier Computer near Metrotown. Again back in the 90's I wanted the new 3dfx video card that was just coming to market (Voodoo2) and they didn't have it in stock there but the owner/manager insisted that it would be a bad idea to purchase it anyway since 'first revisions always have lots of bugs' and that I would be better off getting something older since it would be more reliable. He then revealed that he didn't even have a PC at home because dealing with computers all day at work made him not want to have one at home. A fine salesman if ever I saw one.

On the topic of internet, ugh Telus is annoying, there doesn't seem to be a way to upgrade your service speed without phoning them. It seems that I can get 100mbps service from them now for $10/month extra which seems nice to me. I just don't want to sit on hold for ages just to talk to a sales person :/ First world problems I suppose.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Ohhhh man, Atic, what a poo poo-heap. They fully and totally embraced the computer store ethos of "There are eight sales-people sitting around doing nothing while one person helps a lineup of 40 people."

Even NCIX was like this sometimes, I would go to their old Broadway location just to pick up my internet order and I swear the guy would just go out back to have a smoke before bringing it out for me.

Their newer stores are much nicer and quicker, going to the Coquitlam one it is always weird to me to have salespeople at an ncix who are actually engaged and friendly. The metrotown one still sucks though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh poo poo, I bought my old voodoo 1 card at Atic. I am shocked they are still around. Anyone remember that old used computer parts place on Canada way near the superstore that just had boxes and boxes of poo poo? Going in there on a Saturday AM was like going to a crazy California flea market.

In other news, ordered my new laptop, stick of ddr3l and m.2 SSD from NCIX last night. They sent me shipping notice of the RAM and SSD today but back ordered the notebook :saddowns:

Motherfucker they showed 2 in Stock last night and even still show 1 at the NCIX warehouse so I hope it's just a matter of them getting their stuff together. The ram and SSD do me nothing without the pc.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

Their newer stores are much nicer and quicker, going to the Coquitlam one it is always weird to me to have salespeople at an ncix who are actually engaged and friendly. The metrotown one still sucks though.

I go to the Coquitlam one as well when I'm buying stuff in person. They're not perfect, but yeah, it's like heaven compared to their Metrotown dump.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Called NCIX to check on my backordered laptop and utterly shocked at how fast they helped me out.

Called their 800#, pressed option 1 for order status, had a human being on the phone in about 15 seconds :wow:

I expected automated phone hell, but worked incredibly well.

Turns out they are shipping it today so all is good so knock on wood I'll see it Thursday :)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, but their whole business model has seemed quasi-sketchy since they started. It's been a while since I've been in one, but the last time I visited one of their stores about 10 years ago, the whole place had a "No officer, all these products just fell off the back of a truck." vibe.
Someone never went to Factory Direct.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shumagorath posted:

Someone never went to Factory Direct.

They're the reason I will never buy another Phillips product to the day I die.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Good news for us with TPPs: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/big-internet-providers-must-open-fibre-networks-to-competitors-crtc/article25633317/

Now we have to wait for rate changes, because as mentioned by Teksavvy, the current model of CBB has rates that would make it too expensive.

Also:

quote:

Major Internet providers warned the commission during the hearing that mandating access to fibre services would create a disincentive to them investing in such infrastructure in the first place.
Get hosed, this kind of logic is why Canada is a digital backwater in the first place.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

shadow puppet of a posted:

the second was re-bagging returned products for sale as new, especially if the customer return was due to defective goods.
Yo does anyone have any actual proof of any retailer doing this? It seems completely pointless, the retailer has essentially nothing to gain. If an item is defective and within the distributors defective exchange timeframe, the retailer sends it back to the distributor. If it is outside that timeframe the retailer refuses the return and the customer RMAs to the manufacturer, or the retailer does that on the customers behalf. It's not like the retailer has to just eat the cost of defective items, every computer & electronics store in north america would be out of business if the industry worked like that as margins are WAY too low for that to work.

The only thing the retailer has to gain by trying to resell a defective item they've returned is they save the time and effort of sending it back to their distributor, and a really tiny amount of shipping cost. And I mean truly tiny, cause they don't ship one item by itself they ship them in batches AND retailers all have volume discounts from the shipping companies they use. So overall it just does not make sense. This is all based on my experience working in a canadian computer and electronics retailer. A small one, not any of the retail chains that have been mentioned in this discussion.

Now selling used stuff as "new" is a whole different story, that would be an effective way to make money if you're an rear end in a top hat.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 26, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Col.Kiwi posted:

Yo does anyone have any actual proof of any retailer doing this? It seems completely pointless, the retailer has essentially nothing to gain. If an item is defective and within the distributors defective exchange timeframe, the retailer sends it back to the distributor. If it is outside that timeframe the retailer refuses the return. It's not like the retailer has to just eat the cost of defective items, every computer & electronics store in north america would be out of business if the industry worked like that as margins are WAY too low for that to work. The only thing the retailer has to gain by trying to resell a defective item they've returned is they save the time and effort of sending it back to their distributor, and a really tiny amount of shipping cost. And I mean truly tiny, cause they don't ship one item by itself they ship them in batches AND retailers all have volume discounts from the shipping companies they use. So overall it just does not make sense. This is all based on my experience working in a canadian computer and electronics retailer. A small one, not any of the retail chains that have been mentioned in this discussion.

Now selling used stuff as "new" is a whole different story, that would be an effective way to make money if you're an rear end in a top hat.

What do you consider proof?

I have first hand (and yet completely anecdotal) experience with this from working as the lead tech for a medium sized electronics retailer that sold new and refurbished goods. Can I post specific emails or memorandum proving it? No. But there was repeated and consistent verbal instruction from both store level and higher level management to put "returns" back on shelves if the issue wasn't immediately visible because returns are a money sink depending on how the retailer purchases their stock and their relationship with their suppliers. Putting the burden on the customer can be seen as an entirely valid way of dealing with it if the business is lovely enough.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Every box at Canadian Tire is so beat up I just assume it's all been returned at some point in the past.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

infernal machines posted:

What do you consider proof?

I have first hand (and yet completely anecdotal) experience with this ...
Hm well its super stupid for the reasons I explained, but I guess I can believe people would do it anyway as people do much stupider poo poo. If you are using sketchy/lovely distributors that will fight you, and/or you're just not really thinking stuff through it could seem like a good plan. In reality it's always going to cost you more because in most cases if the item is truly defective then the same item is just going to get returned over and over until you finally stop reselling it or finally some idiot buys it and doesn't start using it until their return period is over. AND you're going to ruin your reputation as a retailer in the process.

Again though people do dumber poo poo so I guess it probably happens

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
woops quote isnt edit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Col.Kiwi posted:

Hm well its super stupid for the reasons I explained, but I guess I can believe people would do it anyway as people do much stupider poo poo. If you are using sketchy/lovely distributors that will fight you, and/or you're just not really thinking stuff through it could seem like a good plan. In reality it's always going to cost you more because in most cases if the item is truly defective then the same item is just going to get returned over and over until you finally stop reselling it or finally some idiot buys it and doesn't start using it until their return period is over. AND you're going to ruin your reputation as a retailer in the process.

Again though people do dumber poo poo so I guess it probably happens

Yeah, counting on business to be wholly rational and think of the long term costs of their decisions probably isn't going to get you very far.

At the risk of being sued some 15 years after working there, the retailer in question rhymes with Phylactery Erect...

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Yeah, counting on business to be wholly rational and think of the long term costs of their decisions probably isn't going to get you very far.
Yeah. I dunno why I'd even talk like people always think long term and make completely rational decisions, that is powerfully naive.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

8ender posted:

I think they're consolidating some locations. London had two in lovely places and they merged them into one in a much better spot.

Mister Macys posted:

Do you know where ( yes, I could look it up, but :effort: )?

Bieeardo posted:

Living within scowling distance of Labatt Park and being at the mercy of the LTC, losing the ones on Richmond and on Wharncliffe was definitely frustrating, though I'll admit that the new place is a hell of a lot bigger, nicer and better stocked than either of the others.

At least there's still Megacomputer for minor parts emergencies.

I think one of my friends is still mourning the sudden closure of that big-box Tiger Direct store in town. I'm still baffled that someone even greenlit its opening.

Holy poo poo, other people who live in London. Moved here a few months ago.

As for relevancy we switched to Rogers because TekSavvy was being barred from provisioning new hookups over 60Mbps at the time, and so even though we had a 150Mbps package in Waterloo, we couldn't get it here. The Rogers service, to the credit of their black souls, has been solid; we're paying ~ $100 for 250/20, though I usually get more like 350/10.

My favorite part about having TekSavvy was they let me hook up my nice Motorola cable modem I'd brought with me from Time Warner in the States. :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

mediaphage posted:

Holy poo poo, other people who live in London. Moved here a few months ago.

I'm so sorry.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

8ender posted:

I'm so sorry.

Oh good someone else said it first so I don't have to worry about pissing someone off. Yeah, I know. SO got a fancy UWO job, though, so here we are! I found some pretty good coffee, so I guess things could be worse.

But gently caress do the LCBOs have lovely selections.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

drat it. Beaten. If you like nerd stores, we actually have a good selection for CCGs, comics, minis, and boardgames. Better than K/W and possibly even Toronto.

Otherwise, London is just an oversized college town, and pitstop between Toronto and Detroit.
Nice bike paths though.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 26, 2015

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

drat it. Beaten. If you like nerd stores, we actually have a good selection for CCGs, comics, minis, and boardgames. Better than K/W and possibly even Toronto.

Otherwise, London is just an oversized college town, and pitstop between Toronto and Detroit.
Nice bike paths though.

Honestly, I don't play CCGs or minis, or read comics much anymore. I do like some boardgames, though it's hard to find people to play with. What kind of nerd stores are we talkin? Also has anybody used that Cardboard Cafe or whatever?

Sorry in advance to others for Londonchat but I work from home so it's impossible to find people who know about poo poo.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

Oh good someone else said it first so I don't have to worry about pissing someone off.

I've been here all my life, and was hoping someone else would say it.

Mister Macys posted:

Nice bike paths though.

These are all true, if physical media nerdery are your thing. The city has a really loving weird mismatch of cultures-- on the one hand there's a lot of deep-seated cultural conservatism, but on the other we've got a fairly active queer community, some decent live theatre and a history of provocative weirdos like Marc Emery and the sadly passed bordello owner who used to run for mayor on a platform that included building UFO landing strips outside of town. And the bike paths have been getting better the last few years, though our motorists are still goddamn crazy.

Nerd stores: LA Mood, two blocks south of Dundas on Richmond, does all your basic nerd stuff: comics, collectibles, CCGs, RPGs, and board games. They have events and game nights in the basement. City Lights is a nice little spot if you're looking for used books, and occasionally get bits of old RPG stuff people dig out of their basements.
Heroes is on Dundas, just east of Richmond. Mostly comics, but a poo poo ton of 'em. A block or so further east is Imperial Hobbies, which... well, when I shopped there twenty years ago, it was your archetypal Weird Pete shop. No idea how they've stayed afloat.
On Dundas still, a bit east of Adelaide, Worlds Away carries (last I checked) mainly comics and some RPG stuff. Further down there's Neo-Tokyo the anime shop, and the Comic Book Collector, which hosts Heroclix games; I haven't been there in a while, so I'm not sure what other things they stock.

I haven't been to the Cardboard Cafe, but I really should try to drag some friends out just because.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ Nice KODT reference :)
gently caress Marc Emery. His only progressive view is marijuana legalization. He doesn't give gently caress about the poor.

mediaphage posted:

Honestly, I don't play CCGs or minis, or read comics much anymore. I do like some boardgames, though it's hard to find people to play with. What kind of nerd stores are we talkin? Also has anybody used that Cardboard Cafe or whatever?

Sorry in advance to others for Londonchat but I work from home so it's impossible to find people who know about poo poo.

PM'd you nerdstore/club locations that I know of.

Completely forgot about Cardboard Cafe.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 26, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Col.Kiwi posted:

Yo does anyone have any actual proof of any retailer doing this? It seems completely pointless, the retailer has essentially nothing to gain. If an item is defective and within the distributors defective exchange timeframe, the retailer sends it back to the distributor. If it is outside that timeframe the retailer refuses the return and the customer RMAs to the manufacturer, or the retailer does that on the customers behalf. It's not like the retailer has to just eat the cost of defective items, every computer & electronics store in north america would be out of business if the industry worked like that as margins are WAY too low for that to work.

The only thing the retailer has to gain by trying to resell a defective item they've returned is they save the time and effort of sending it back to their distributor, and a really tiny amount of shipping cost. And I mean truly tiny, cause they don't ship one item by itself they ship them in batches AND retailers all have volume discounts from the shipping companies they use. So overall it just does not make sense. This is all based on my experience working in a canadian computer and electronics retailer. A small one, not any of the retail chains that have been mentioned in this discussion.
Its absolutely not "the only thing a retailer has to gain" There are incentives everywhere along the transaction pathway to not want to be moving stock back up to your distributor rather than trying to move it out the door again in a customer transaction. I have no direct experience like you do, but I'm willing to bet that one of the first items up for negotiation when determining a pricing contract with the distributor is a pre-agreed upon allowable percentage of returns to keep their prices fixed at the negotiated rate. Which CC, and others, competing on price, would stamp down to the lowest levels possible as that no/low-returns discount would be a significant component of their thin margins.

This was also taking place in the middle of the era of bulk pallet-scale harddrive theft going on at Pearson airport, where one cargo handler guy sold most of the city's harddrives to stores Many parts likely did not come from traditional channels in the early 2000's.

Also, people have a lot of funky hardware and oddball ram, garbage internal cables, no actual troubleshooting knowledge, the PC parts interchangabilty we take for granted is actually a remarkable house of cards. A single PCI card with a poor driver can take down a system if its simply in the wrong slot. So re-shelving goods is a reasonable admission that not every defective part is actually defective, and CC, among others, lots of others had that reputation for being willing to gamble on it. Its not unreasonable. 50% of the stuff I ever ordered from TigerDirect between 2003-2007 came with obviously opened packaging, I viewed it as a consequence of paying the lowest price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

I've been here all my life, and was hoping someone else would say it.

These are all true, if physical media nerdery are your thing. The city has a really loving weird mismatch of cultures-- on the one hand there's a lot of deep-seated cultural conservatism, but on the other we've got a fairly active queer community, some decent live theatre and a history of provocative weirdos like Marc Emery and the sadly passed bordello owner who used to run for mayor on a platform that included building UFO landing strips outside of town. And the bike paths have been getting better the last few years, though our motorists are still goddamn crazy.

Nerd stores: LA Mood, two blocks south of Dundas on Richmond, does all your basic nerd stuff: comics, collectibles, CCGs, RPGs, and board games. They have events and game nights in the basement. City Lights is a nice little spot if you're looking for used books, and occasionally get bits of old RPG stuff people dig out of their basements.
Heroes is on Dundas, just east of Richmond. Mostly comics, but a poo poo ton of 'em. A block or so further east is Imperial Hobbies, which... well, when I shopped there twenty years ago, it was your archetypal Weird Pete shop. No idea how they've stayed afloat.
On Dundas still, a bit east of Adelaide, Worlds Away carries (last I checked) mainly comics and some RPG stuff. Further down there's Neo-Tokyo the anime shop, and the Comic Book Collector, which hosts Heroclix games; I haven't been there in a while, so I'm not sure what other things they stock.

I haven't been to the Cardboard Cafe, but I really should try to drag some friends out just because.

Sweet, thanks! We ended up getting a place smack in old north, so most of this is sort of walkable when I'm in the mood to get out.

Mister Macys posted:

^ Nice KODT reference :)
gently caress Marc Emery. His only progressive view is marijuana legalization. He doesn't give gently caress about the poor.

PM'd you nerdstore/club locations that I know of.

Completely forgot about Cardboard Cafe.

Seriously; he's kind of a douche. I mean I'm pro weed but he's always rubbed me the wrong way. Thanks for the PM.

Let me know if any of you guys want to grab a beer or something sometime, if you're not all twelve, or whatever.