Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
How exactly are you forming said republic? Are you creating one and then console switching (or reloading) to them? Or are you giving them to your heir and then dying into them?

Because the latter way is frought with peril and bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Tribal reformed to republic in Marrakech (with Massat as the capitol). In a different game I tried Iqta to Republic about 19 different ways and couldn't get it to work. Maybe it's just a Muslim thing, but I've never had issues using the "heir has equal or greater title than you and is a republic, then die/abdicate" method before Horse Lords. Now it's either you stay Iqta or game over. I wanted to try out being a Muslim republic since it seems they've removed decadence from republic families, meaning you get all the perks of Islam with none of the cons, but there's no way to become one other than taking an existing republic and converting religion. I had forgotten how frustrating this game can be. I'll try designating an heir, but even if you don't designate an heir, you should still inherit through seniority succession, so I'm not optimistic. I could do it in 10 seconds with no issues if I didn't care about the game being ironman compatible. :sigh:

Edit: Reloading the last autosave in my Marrakech game fixed succession, but I definitely died and game over'd because it didn't recognize my heir before that. That's a new bug for me.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 25, 2015

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Got a question with nomads- I tried, as somebody suggested earlier in the thread, just making everybody my tributaries, but it doesn't seem to stick. I've made the Russians my tribute at least twice now, and they're still independent as of last save, same with a few other middling kingdoms I've run into. My favorite theory is that it's because tributary status is a personal agreement; King Vsevolod swore tribute to Khagan Saru, but King Vladimir has no agreements with Khagan Aepak. Either that, or I did something to break the tribute/ally status, possibly just not always being at war like a proper horde should be.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Your theory is correct. It breaks when either your character or the tribute character dies. Just smack them and put them back.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
So, I guess there's a possibility that the GoT mod might be dead? Apparently post HL updates broke major systems the mod relies on, but they are systems Vanilla doesn't use the way the mod does so Vanilla is unaffected by the changes. And since Vanilla is unaffected, Paradox has taken a "not our problem" approach. The mod devs allegedly can't just find a new way to implement the broken systems.

Might just be overreacting on the part of mod fans, but things like this have happened before with mods for other games.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

LaSalsaVerde posted:

Your theory is correct. It breaks when either your character or the tribute character dies. Just smack them and put them back.
All right, I actually wasn't sure that was it, but it is borne out by my current situation.

Count Kolik of Bjarmia is a tributary of mine, and I keep getting the option to call on him to join me in my glorious campaign (to subordinate Bjarmia). Unfortunately, the current duke of Bjarmia and my opponent in this battle is the Khan of the Bolghars, AKA Kolik's liege. I'm not entirely sure what's going on behind the scenes, but I expect it's some variation on "My tribute-liege and ally is forcing me to declare war on my feudal liege. I cannot do that, I shall cancel this war. Oh, hey, my ally's going to war, maybe he needs my help. GOTO 10"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I wonder what these unique systems are that just don't work.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is the GoT mod publicized outside of the nerdy circles we goons travel in? I'd think that throwing them a bone could help bring new consumers into the game, especially if they talk on social media about their "extensive modding community such as the GoT mod" when the next season of the show is released.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Skellybones posted:

I wonder what these unique systems are that just don't work.

There's a bug with certain script triggers that AGOT uses to check if characters are in battle or sieging (I think it's mainly for the decisions to deploy dragons in battle/sieges) but that vanilla either doesn't use or doesn't use in the same way, so that they won't evaluate properly. Apparently the mod support developer told them that it had been fixed internally but it hasn't been released yet.

The AGOT team refuse to update until Paradox releases a patch for it and won't redo that system to use something else as a band-aid (I can think of a couple of ways they might be able to do so off the top of my head but I'll concede I haven't looked at it in detail). Since Paradox aren't releasing an emergency patch for that one issue and don't appear to be releasing any patch at all anytime soon, there's a bit of an impasse (and accordingly there is a gigantic clusterfuck of a thread on the Paradox forums regarding the issue, as is traditional).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 26, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Why not just take the feature out? If you can pinpoint what's causing a crash and you can't fix it, why wouldn't you tear it out?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volkerball posted:

Tribal reformed to republic in Marrakech (with Massat as the capitol). In a different game I tried Iqta to Republic about 19 different ways and couldn't get it to work. Maybe it's just a Muslim thing, but I've never had issues using the "heir has equal or greater title than you and is a republic, then die/abdicate" method before Horse Lords. Now it's either you stay Iqta or game over. I wanted to try out being a Muslim republic since it seems they've removed decadence from republic families, meaning you get all the perks of Islam with none of the cons, but there's no way to become one other than taking an existing republic and converting religion. I had forgotten how frustrating this game can be. I'll try designating an heir, but even if you don't designate an heir, you should still inherit through seniority succession, so I'm not optimistic. I could do it in 10 seconds with no issues if I didn't care about the game being ironman compatible. :sigh:

Edit: Reloading the last autosave in my Marrakech game fixed succession, but I definitely died and game over'd because it didn't recognize my heir before that. That's a new bug for me.

Heir title granting fuckery is a great way to game over yourself, either through weird inheritance mechanics/requirements or the heir doing some stupid poo poo like crusading while he's got no kids. I get why you want to do a Muslim Republic but you're way better off sticking to it the 'normal' way using decision as a tribe because it won't ever gently caress up and end your game.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Ofaloaf posted:

Why not just take the feature out? If you can pinpoint what's causing a crash and you can't fix it, why wouldn't you tear it out?

It's not even a crash bug, just a temporarily non-working feature (as a result of this bug, dragons can't be deployed in battle or sieges), so yeah I'm kinda perplexed that they took the "stamp your feet and hold your breath until your face turns blue" option. Sure, GoT is by far the CK2 mod that gets the most mainstream press but not even they are going to accelerate PDS' patching schedule.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Because many, if not all, of the bookmarks are balanced around dragons having a presence. Which is one of the features that's broken. If they just removed the ability to use dragons in battle they'd have to re-balance nearly the entire mod from the ground up and it would render entire bookmarks pointless at best or unplayable at worst.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Esroc posted:

Because many, if not all, of the bookmarks are balanced around dragons having a presence. Which is one of the features that's broken. If they just removed the ability to use dragons in battle they'd have to re-balance nearly the entire mod from the ground up and it would render entire bookmarks pointless at best or unplayable at worst.

Sure, but then why don't they just redo the decisions, say as high-weight on_action events for the combat or siege pulses that offer a choice on whether to deploy your dragon, or otherwise find a way around the broken triggers? They say they can't I suppose, but speaking as a modder myself, for that specific bug it is really not that much work to deploy a band-aid fix. Sure, it is not ideal (the bug broke a few events in Plus from what I can tell now that I look at it, but nothing so important to our mod as dragons are to theirs, and nothing anyone has particularly noticed or really clamoured to fix, so we will probably wait on Paradox for it), but modding is all about making do with the tools and engine you're given, even for Paradox games that are relatively easy to mod.

I mean, sure, they have every right to make the decision they DID make, but Paradox isn't going to change their timetables for the sake of modders and I feel like the devs there fundamentally misunderstand who has the whip hand here.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 26, 2015

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

Sure, but then why don't they just redo the decisions, say as high-weight on_action events for the combat or siege pulses that offer a choice on whether to deploy your dragon, or otherwise find a way around the broken triggers? I mean, sure, they have every right to make the decision they DID make, but Paradox isn't going to change their timetables for the sake of modders and I feel like the devs there fundamentally misunderstand who has the whip hand here.

Oh, I completely agree. I don't understand why the AGOT devs are reacting in the manner that they are either. I was merely pointing out that simply removing the dragons would render the mod mostly moot, considering they're a major aspect of it that nearly the entire mod is built around.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

iirc there's more than just a few systems reliant upon the now-broken script triggers; enough that the mod itself would be gutted if they took out all of the affected features. It's not about crashes, either, the affected stuff just won't function/fire (as said previously), and as such the mod devs don't want to put out a release that would be pretty much inferior to the previous version.

I can see why they would rather beg paradox for a fix; spending time adjusting existing content to a new engine/system/whatever is an exercise in tedium and aggravation that would probably be magnified for a group as decentralised as modders.

Hiveminded fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 26, 2015

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Schlesische posted:

Some of you may be interested in MP. Some of you may be interested in LPs. Porque no los dos.

We're planning another Multiplayer Lets Play game in the CK2 Multiplayer thread.

Currently planning to play as France from 1066 and thinking of starting in the second week of October.

Is there going to be a separate thread for the LP? I really liked following the HRE one you guys were doing.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Is anyone aware of any other semi-historical figures that are in the game, besides Ragnar Lothbrok?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Is anyone aware of any other semi-historical figures that are in the game, besides Ragnar Lothbrok?

Pretty much any other Norse guy in The Old Gods that isn't just made up by Paradox is gonna be semi-historical, at the very least.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

skasion posted:

Pretty much any other Norse guy in The Old Gods that isn't just made up by Paradox is gonna be semi-historical, at the very least.

I don't know a lot about that period and place in history; I just assumed most of the Norse characters in that start point were made up entirely and didn't correspond to anyone in particular, historical or legendary. Oh, I guess Harold Fairhair probably would count? I'm under the impression that he is at least mostly historical but given that he was a Norse king in the Viking Age I'm guessing the record of his life probably contains a lot of euhemerised legends.

I do know that the men traditionally identified as Ragnar's "sons" are historical figures, though they most likely were not related to one another.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
When did they add in the feature to let ethnic Hungarians freely raid their non-Catholic neighbors? Because good god, it's broken as gently caress. Monster levies in 1066 start just roaming the countryside looting Pecheneg and Kievan holdings and then slipping out, disbanding, and invading while all their buildings are still ash heaps while you're rolling in a giant Scrooge McDuck-sized money pile. This is the one Ironman game that hasn't resulted in me getting the poo poo kicked out of me in 25 years, although I just formed the Empire of Carpathia so I'm sure that's next.

Are there other crazy culture-specific mechanics I'm unaware of? Because I would've played as Hungary a ***LONG TIME AGO*** had I known this one existed.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm playing a charlemagne start viking game, and I've got some kind of weird deficit of good commanders in scandinavia. I haven't been forced to appoint anyone terrible, I've been having like 11 or 12 martial commanders.

So I punched in non-ruler, my religion, male, sort by martial in the character browser hoping to poach some good soldiers from a mercenary group or some lovely one province chiefdom or something, and found that the former Saxon marshal was now under employ as the Frankish marshal, Francia having totally swallowed Saxony. Martial skill 25. Defects to my court without even needing a gift.

Dies two months later.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I've been reading a book that's covering a lot on the Qing Dynasty and I just need to say, Holy poo poo CK2 does not go nearly far enough in conveying how desperately wretched managing a large empire is.

Like, "whoops just lost track of half of our budget in some border war lmao, no seriously we have no idea where that money went oh well yolo" style poo poo being just a thing that can happen.

e: or poo poo like your finance office needing to communicate with you in utter secrecy since the last time sometime tried to conduct a census to get a feel for things, it nearly sparked off a full revolt. Doing poo poo like trying to beat up some tribesmen also requires setting up secret agencies just to get the logistics of it all sorted out years in advance.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 26, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I've been reading a book that's covering a lot on the Qing Dynasty and I just need to say, Holy poo poo CK2 does not go nearly far enough in conveying how desperately wretched managing a large empire is.

Like, "whoops just lost track of half of our budget in some border war lmao, no seriously we have no idea where that money went oh well yolo" style poo poo being just a thing that can happen.

lol if you think anyone in congress is able to account for the over one trillion dollars that get spent on "defence" every year in the united states, just lol

"what do you mean over a trillion the defence budget is only ~$700 billion" yeah but we end up going almost 100% over budget each year and no one can quite figure out why LOL

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Oh yeah a ton of it reminds me of modern day woes, except you also get to do all this with no computers and advanced communication and when looking at a province the wrong way can lead to some insane millennium style religious revolt.

And that's not even counting when emperors are genuinely incompetent and aren't trying to do something about the crazy amounts of corruption.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I don't know a lot about that period and place in history; I just assumed most of the Norse characters in that start point were made up entirely and didn't correspond to anyone in particular, historical or legendary. Oh, I guess Harold Fairhair probably would count? I'm under the impression that he is at least mostly historical but given that he was a Norse king in the Viking Age I'm guessing the record of his life probably contains a lot of euhemerised legends.

I do know that the men traditionally identified as Ragnar's "sons" are historical figures, though they most likely were not related to one another.

Harald is "real" in the same sense that Rurik is real, in that relatively sober medieval chroniclers of his own people were pretty sure he existed a couple centuries after the fact and over time his existence and legend became taken for granted as factual, or close enough. Relatively sober in the case of the guy who wrote about Harald means that his history of the kings of Norway opens with Odin, who was in fact not a god but a Turkish wizard.

Dyre the Stranger (dude who rules Konungardr) is a good example of the paucity of "historical" information about some of these guys. Some sources indicate that there were two Varangians in charge, Askold and Dir. Others think that this is an error of translation and the real ruler was "oskyldr Dir" - Dir the Strange. We just don't know poo poo about most of the European nobility at the time when CK2 begins and we never will, so the best that can be done is just throw this guy in there anyway and hope it translates into a fun game.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

skasion posted:

Harald is "real" in the same sense that Rurik is real, in that relatively sober medieval chroniclers of his own people were pretty sure he existed a couple centuries after the fact and over time his existence and legend became taken for granted as factual, or close enough. Relatively sober in the case of the guy who wrote about Harald means that his history of the kings of Norway opens with Odin, who was in fact not a god but a Turkish wizard.

Dyre the Stranger (dude who rules Konungardr) is a good example of the paucity of "historical" information about some of these guys. Some sources indicate that there were two Varangians in charge, Askold and Dir. Others think that this is an error of translation and the real ruler was "oskyldr Dir" - Dir the Strange. We just don't know poo poo about most of the European nobility at the time when CK2 begins and we never will, so the best that can be done is just throw this guy in there anyway and hope it translates into a fun game.

:coffeepal:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Decades ago, I got my child heir betrothed to the infant princess of a Khan, thinking that he could make a nice ally.

Now I'm playing as that heir, and it's come time to marry the Khazarian princess... But now they've all converted to Islam. Normally marrying a Muslim would be impossible, but the betrothal was already in place and the AI didn't break it. I'm guessing that due to an oversight the AI doesn't actually include a check to break betrothals under these circumstances. If I were an optimist maybe I'd say that he felt marrying his daughter to an infidel was worth having armies of vikings at his side, or that he's willing to go through with it due to being a former pagan himself.

Whatever the reason, could this be the time for... A Viking Ummah!? لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm given to understand that the Elder Kings mod ran into similar troubles with the latest patch as well, though they put their most recent version up on SVN with the disclaimer that it's not actually working right, because people had been waiting for it for so drat long.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Does Shia or Ibadi have any significantly different gameplay mechanics/events compared to Sunni?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 27, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Cog posted:

Does Shia or Ibadi have any significantly different gameplay mechanics/events compared to Sunni?

They both still have caliphs that act the same. The main difference is Sunni and it's heresies (upon becoming dominant and making Sunni a heresy) have way more holy orders available than Shia and its heresies. Sunni also has the schools you can choose which give you certain boosts.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

So, it's 900 and the Catholic faith is falling apart. The West Francian King got this bright idea to set up his own Antipope, followed by the Lombards doing it, and then the Muslims finished off their conquest of Spain before eating themselves. Basically, the faith is at that point where heresies are going crazy. I'm almost tempted to do a Lollard or some other catholic heresy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

A White Guy posted:

So, it's 900 and the Catholic faith is falling apart. The West Francian King got this bright idea to set up his own Antipope, followed by the Lombards doing it, and then the Muslims finished off their conquest of Spain before eating themselves. Basically, the faith is at that point where heresies are going crazy. I'm almost tempted to do a Lollard or some other catholic heresy.

Cathar every day and twice on Sunday

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Volkerball posted:

They both still have caliphs that act the same. The main difference is Sunni and it's heresies (upon becoming dominant and making Sunni a heresy) have way more holy orders available than Shia and its heresies. Sunni also has the schools you can choose which give you certain boosts.

yeah there's really not much of a reason to be a shia over a sunni in terms of gameplay, so ironically shia is one of the few religions I haven't actually played as

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Cathar every day and twice on Sunday

Yeah Cathars are the best Catholic heresy by far, although you could also go Fraticelli and have your own competing Papacy with mainstream Catholicism.

Lollard and Waldensian have literally no mechanics - not even "no mechanics different from Catholicism", no mechanics period. They are significantly LESS interesting to play than just sticking with the mainstream religion.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
IMO Yazidi really needs to be it's own religion

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kharijite should be the funnest religion in the game, but it's not. CK2 is really missing a good ISIS simulator.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why is my Muslim country suddenly named Nubia and not $_family_name.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Porkface posted:

Why is my Muslim country suddenly named Nubia and not $_family_name.

Has your Culture changed? That's what determines it.

Or do you have a higher-ranking relative who's independent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
or your dynasty took over another country and you lost the name thunderdome

• Locked thread