Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Venom Snake posted:

at what level of dead Hispanics will you find Donald Trump not actually qualified for the status of "owning", we talking trail of tears numbers here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

What's funny is now in the next debate all the GOP candidates will have to explain why they don't want to give everyone free health care and why that's a good thing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

trump will release his tax plans and his book before the next debate

they will have to deal with that too

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
nothing is free, bootstraps ect

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
america is great because we are a third world nation imo

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Guess he ain't foolin, folks.

Trump wants UHC.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

stoutfish posted:

america is great because we are a third world nation imo

Just the parts with the minorities.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Smoothrich posted:

We post in English here in Trump's Republican Presidential Victory thread boy. Take your unAmerican gobbedlygook back to GBS.

יאללה יאללה. אם אני רוצה לדבר בשפת הקודש, אני אדבר בשפת הקודש, יא חמור חמורותיים שרתום לתחת של טראמפ, יא הגיבנת האחורית על הגב שלו שהוא לא היה רואה גם אם הוא היה מסובב את הראש מאה שמונים מעלות.

VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014

Immortan posted:

Trump wants UHC.

Not exactly.

quote:

Scott Pelley: Universal health care.

Donald Trump: I am going to take care of everybody. I don't care if it costs me votes or not. Everybody's going to be taken care of much better than they're taken care of now.

Scott Pelley: The uninsured person is going to be taken care of. How? How?

Donald Trump: They're going to be taken care of. I would make a deal with existing hospitals to take care of people. And, you know what, if this is probably--

Scott Pelley: Make a deal? Who pays for it?

Donald Trump: --the government's gonna pay for it. But we're going to save so much money on the other side. But for the most it's going to be a private plan and people are going to be able to go out and negotiate great plans with lots of different competition with lots of competitors with great companies and they can have their doctors, they can have plans, they can have everything.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Immortan posted:

Guess he ain't foolin, folks.

Trump wants UHC.

Vague "I'm going to take care of everyone" is not UHC. The ACA could have been sold that way. Heritage's terrible plan (not the same thing!) could have tried to sell itself that way.

Let's see about some details.

Ah, yes, private insurers, very universal coverage.

And the government will cover the costs for the uninsured, well, that seems... incompatible with UHC? The whole idea of uninsured people?

Trump is going to propose removing the state-based insurance markets we currently have. That's going to be 99% of his health plan. It's not going to be UHC, people are just projecting their desires onto his vague bullshit. He's a con man - allowing people to do that is what he does.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Brannock posted:

Donald Trump owns

This but also replace every post in this thread, this sub forum, and the forum to this.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Mons Hubris posted:

What's funny is now in the next debate all the GOP candidates will have to explain why they don't want to give everyone free health care and why that's a good thing.

They'll probably just point to the raw cost of expanding medicare, like that WSJ article. It's harder to understand the economic impact of making sure your work force is healthy than it is to put a price tag on a giant new government program. We'll see if Trump can stump them again.

Venom Snake posted:

at what level of dead Hispanics will you find Donald Trump not actually qualified for the status of "owning", we talking trail of tears numbers here?

I can't lie, I feel awful and a little bit sick every single time I agree with Donald Trump. His progressive stances are precisely what makes him so dangerous, and the sentiment that you're raging against now is only going to get more entrenched, I think. The only hope (if he actually pulls this off) is that a cooler head prevails and he doesn't actually get to enact any kind of crazy mass deportation or holocaust or what have you, sort of like when Obama took office and was like "so let's talk withdrawal". But he is forcing the republicans to do something other than fart at each other in an echo chamber, and it's not been going to well for them, which is good for us, but the closer we get to the general without him taking any real hits the more nervous I get. He's going to get a lot of play with the 'gently caress wall street' sentiment. Wall Street doesn't understand, comprehend, or care how hated they are by the vast majority of the population, and Trump's going to hit a rich vein of poor white people anger. Get ready.

EDIT: Reminder that even though he didn't promise UHC, even the sentiment of 'taking care of everybody' is considered to be extreme left by modern republican standards.

Full Battle Rattle fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 28, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kalman posted:

And the government will cover the costs for the uninsured, well, that seems... incompatible with UHC? The whole idea of uninsured people?

Read your own words again. The government covers the cost for the uninsured, insurance covers the cost for the insured. Ergo, everybody gets healthcare. In what way is this not UHC?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That it doesn't spell out UHC

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You could interpret Il Donald here as saying there will be a national insurance coverage that will hit everyone - this is perhaps best done now by just making Medicare apply to every American with a pulse and/or medical reasons for not having one. Then people will be free to negotiate for extra coverage plans like in Canada.

The Canadian system basically.

But by not saying that, he avoids the censure that would come with it. Clever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

EDIT: Reminder that even though he didn't promise UHC, even the sentiment of 'taking care of everybody' is considered to be extreme left by modern republican standards.

Yeah, in 2012 Ron Paul got applause at a debate for saying he'd let an uninsured 30 year old die.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

יאללה יאללה. אם אני רוצה לדבר בשפת הקודש, אני אדבר בשפת הקודש, יא חמור חמורותיים שרתום לתחת של טראמפ, יא הגיבנת האחורית על הגב שלו שהוא לא היה רואה גם אם הוא היה מסובב את הראש מאה שמונים מעלות.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
This interview is over!

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/09/27/this-interview-is-over-carson-staffer-pulls-plug-on-cnns-tapper/

This guy is now tied with based Donald Trump. Republicans truly are the worst.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What a surprise, Trump sounds like he's going to introduce something like Minnesota's healthcare system to the entire country, literally the best performing healthcare system out of all 50 states that provides fully government subsidized healthcare to people below the poverty line. I've been saying since I moved to Minnesota a few years ago and was shocked to learn I could apply at the government building for my "free healthcare" that the most progressive, common sense thing to do would be to replace Obamacare with the Minnesotacare model for the entire country. He will have to clarify things more but lol, loving Trump man. It's basically the "Medicaid-for-all" system that everyone already agrees would be the best possible universal healthcare system for America. Obamacare really is a disaster in comparison with how it fucks with small businesses and compels citizens to buy overpriced plans of poo poo they don't need or pay even more in fines.

Montasque posted:

This interview is over!

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/09/27/this-interview-is-over-carson-staffer-pulls-plug-on-cnns-tapper/

This guy is now tied with based Donald Trump. Republicans truly are the worst.

"Republicans truly are the worst" as you share a Breitbart.com link lol

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 28, 2015

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Philthy posted:

Jesus, Trump was on 60 minutes tonight. (Edit: Beaten)

Free health care for everyone all paid by the government.

Tax reform, low income earners will pay zero percent guaranteed since they're not paying anything anyways. Middle class will have close to zero.

Import taxes on everything. Ford just built a plant in Mexico, every single car from that plant will have a huge tax on them. It will be the model for any company that wants to sell in the USA.

No raising of social security, the import taxes will keep it solvent

Trump/sanders unity ticket (or 3rd party when they both lose)

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Mons Hubris posted:

yeah except more than just funny it kind of completely owns? suck a dick dumbshits with your "wah wah wah millions of dead people as a result of his policies" guess what every president is responsible for millions of dead people

do you want millions of dead people and no UHC and no tax code revamp to eat the rich
or do you want millions of dead people and UHC and we eat the (non-Donald) rich

I know I know "I would prefer not to have the blood of millions on my hands" me too but we're american citizens so that's just not in the cards. Millions of dead people is non-negotiable in TYOOL 2016, there is no viable "I'm definitely not gonna kill a gently caress-ton of people" candidate.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

JeffersonClay posted:

Trump/sanders unity ticket (or 3rd party when they both lose)

Bernie Sanders is honestly far too divisive of a candidate to support in any way. I also think he is a union shill career politician masquerading as a middle-class populist. How is he fit to lead America? He takes bribes and poo poo from South American dictators to appease his union lobbyists with shady backroom deals and constantly attacks free-market principles because he's never worked a real job. College aged white kids like him and no one else because everyone probably sees through his bullshit as empty rhetoric with no leadership qualities. I wouldn't trust him dictating foreign policy in any way either. He'd gently caress up the Middle East more than Obama has, retreat from the world stage, gut defense spending while ISIS grows, and probably sell our nukes straight to Putin and Iran and pocket the cash.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Smoothrich posted:

Bernie Sanders is honestly far too divisive of a candidate to support in any way. I also think he is a union shill career politician masquerading as a middle-class populist. How is he fit to lead America? He takes bribes and poo poo from South American dictators to appease his union lobbyists with shady backroom deals and constantly attacks free-market principles because he's never worked a real job. College aged white kids like him and no one else because everyone probably sees through his bullshit as empty rhetoric with no leadership qualities. I wouldn't trust him dictating foreign policy in any way either. He'd gently caress up the Middle East more than Obama has, retreat from the world stage, gut defense spending while ISIS grows, and probably sell our nukes straight to Putin and Iran and pocket the cash.

:yum:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I like the new and improved MIGF.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Smoothrich posted:

I wouldn't trust him dictating foreign policy in any way either. He'd gently caress up the Middle East more than Obama has, retreat from the world stage, gut defense spending while ISIS grows, and probably sell our nukes straight to Putin and Iran and pocket the cash.

Are these supposed to be bad things?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Read your own words again. The government covers the cost for the uninsured, insurance covers the cost for the insured. Ergo, everybody gets healthcare. In what way is this not UHC?

In the way that it sounds a lot like the existing system of subsidizing hospitals that accept the uninsured?

And the part where he sings the praises of private insurers, did we miss that too?

It's UHC the way the ACA is UHC - it isn't single payer and I severely doubt it will be better than the ACA because, again, Trump is a professional con man and you are being conned.

E: some other highlights of the snake oil trump is selling:

quote:

Donald Trump: They're going to be taken care of. I would make a deal with existing hospitals to take care of people. And, you know what, if this is probably--

Trump admits he just wants to dump them on hospitals - which isn't exactly a recipe for good or cheap care.

quote:

Scott Pelley: You're talking about cutting corporate income taxes?

Donald Trump: That is correct.

Scott Pelley: But there's a $19 trillion federal debt.

Donald Trump: That's right. We're gonna grow the economy so much--

Supply side economics, corporate edition!

quote:

Scott Pelley: But there is a North American Free Trade Agreement.

Donald Trump: And there shouldn't be. It's a disaster.

Scott Pelley: But it is there.

Donald Trump: OK, yeah, but--

Scott Pelley: If you're president, you're going to have to live with it.

Donald Trump: Excuse me, we will either renegotiate it or we will break it. Because, you know, every agreement has an end.

Scott Pelley: You can't just break the law.

Donald Trump: Excuse me, every agreement has an end. Every agreement has to be fair. Every agreement has a defraud clause. We're being defrauded by all these countries.

When the President unilaterally breaks international treaties, it isn't illegal!

But yeah, he's a stealth progressive. :allears:

Kalman fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 28, 2015

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Philthy posted:

Jesus, Trump was on 60 minutes tonight. (Edit: Beaten)

Free health care for everyone all paid by the government.

Tax reform, low income earners will pay zero percent guaranteed since they're not paying anything anyways. Middle class will have close to zero.

Import taxes on everything. Ford just built a plant in Mexico, every single car from that plant will have a huge tax on them. It will be the model for any company that wants to sell in the USA.

No raising of social security, the import taxes will keep it solvent.

I'm finding it hard to believe he has such a large Republican following other than the racist crap. He went on and on about his wall again, and the guy interviewing him didn't even say "They just go through tunnels now anyways. A wall is 100% useless".

At the very least, he's knocking down walls to a few ideas that Republicans have been completely against.

You know how liberal policies poll really well as long as you don't dress it up in political language? Trump might be a genius

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Smoothrich posted:

Source your quotes.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Smoothrich posted:

You realize Unions would benefit significantly from trump's protectionism, right? Maybe they've gotten to him, too...

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nanomashoes posted:

Are these supposed to be bad things?

You think the world descending further into anarchy and terrorism with the EU ready to collapse and militant jihadists killing innocent people even in Western nations is a GOOD thing?

300,000 dead and 11 million refugees from Syria alone? North African governments falling and replaced by ISIS-pledged jihad fueled city-states in perpetual war? Putin and Iran taking over Iraq and Syria? Sharia sex slave women in ISIS? I guess with a 15 dollar minimum wage in America, the global economy will balance itself out just fine.

Universal human rights = neoconservative imperialism. Sanders/Chomsky 2016

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 28, 2015

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Yeah, I don't believe Trump has a meaningful health care plan and so far it's as vague as every magic wand he's promised to wave, but I still don't get why

Kalman posted:

it isn't single payer

always gets made as an argument in itself when every list of top UHC systems I've seen is dominated by countries with multi-payer systems, just one that are, unlike the US, actually universal.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
you're in an election, watching the republican primary debates, when all of a sudden you look up and see donald trump. you post on twitter that this donald trump guy has a lot of good ideas. donald trump is now the front runner, the republican party lays on it's back, it's belly baking in the hot sun, beating it's legs trying to nominate jeb. but it can't. not without your help. and you're not helping. why is that?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, I don't believe Trump has a meaningful health care plan and so far it's as vague as every magic wand he's promised to wave, but I still don't get why

Trump has a perfect healthcare plan. Repeal it, replace it with a system that is slightly more socialist that works better and gets no sabotage attempts, call it Donaldcare, and the world marvels at how it works better than Obamacare (since Obamacare was a compromise, this would be fully socialist). His whole platform is essentially "let's be socialist, but for Americans, not foreigners." When "true conservatives" call him out for it, he'll ask if they want our vets dying, or their uncle Jimbo. They can't say poo poo about minorities since he's building a wall.

And to the guy who said "supply side economics" is cutting corporate taxes, gently caress yourself. That would be true if he didn't advocate raising personal taxes on the wealthy. Corporations shouldn't pay any tax, their board members and their CEO/CTO should pay VERY high taxes, and if they are a foreign company I'm sure codes could be written to account for that. Corporations should be allowed to make as much profit as possible, with regulations of morality and environmental standards enforced by the government.

Corp. taxes are 10% of our tax revenue. We can make that up by taxing the rich a higher rate, and they will be forced to keep their companies here even at the personal expense because the corporate taxes will remain competitive (we have one of the highest rates in the world).

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 28, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Digiwizzard posted:

you're in an election, watching the republican primary debates, when all of a sudden you look up and see donald trump. you post on twitter that this donald trump guy has a lot of good ideas. donald trump is now the front runner, the republican party lays on it's back, it's belly baking in the hot sun, beating it's legs trying to nominate jeb. but it can't. not without your help. and you're not helping. why is that?

No energy.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Kalman posted:

Vague "I'm going to take care of everyone" is not UHC. The ACA could have been sold that way. Heritage's terrible plan (not the same thing!) could have tried to sell itself that way.

Let's see about some details.

Ah, yes, private insurers, very universal coverage.

Trump is going to propose removing the state-based insurance markets we currently have. That's going to be 99% of his health plan. It's not going to be UHC, people are just projecting their desires onto his vague bullshit. He's a con man - allowing people to do that is what he does.

The Donald is anything that you want him to be, you just have to believe, hth

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Oiled and Ready posted:

Trump has a perfect healthcare plan. Repeal it, replace it with a system that is slightly more socialist that works better and gets no sabotage attempts, call it Donaldcare, and the world marvels at how it works better than Obamacare (since Obamacare was a compromise, this would be fully socialist). His whole platform is essentially "let's be socialist, but for Americans, not foreigners." When "true conservatives" call him out for it, he'll ask if they want our vets dying, or their uncle Jimbo. They can't say poo poo about minorities since he's building a wall.

And to the guy who said "supply side economics" is cutting corporate taxes, gently caress yourself. That would be true if he didn't advocate raising personal taxes on the wealthy. Corporations shouldn't pay any tax, their board members and their CEO/CTO should pay VERY high taxes, and if they are a foreign company I'm sure codes could be written to account for that. Corporations should be allowed to make as much profit as possible, with regulations of morality and environmental standards enforced by the government.

Corp. taxes are 10% of our tax revenue. We can make that up by taxing the rich a higher rate, and they will be forced to keep their companies here even at the personal expense because the corporate taxes will remain competitive (we have one of the highest rates in the world).

:911:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Killer robot posted:

always gets made as an argument in itself when every list of top UHC systems I've seen is dominated by countries with multi-payer systems, just one that are, unlike the US, actually universal.
I think part of it is a (legitimate) desire to remove private health care companies from the equation, which honestly is rather logical despite the probable economic havoc this would cause, because it is not unreasonable to anticipate that private firms would lobby the government until eventually any universal system becomes "a guaranteed profit stream for those companies and nothing else."

There's also the fact that I think the examples that Americans are most likely to be familiar with in detail are either England's NHS or Canada's single-payer system.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Nanomashoes posted:

TRUMP

Ay, that I had not done a thousand more.
Even now I curse the day--and yet, I think,
Few come within the compass of my run,--
Wherein I did not some notorious ill,
As burn a man, or else deport his wife,
Ravish a maid, or plot the way to do it,
Accuse some Floridan and forswear myself,
Set deadly enmity between two friends,
Take rich men's capital from them;
Set fire on candidates in the twilight,
And bid their owners quench them with their PAC's.
Oft have I digg'd up dead policies from graves,
And set them upright at the voter' doors,
Even when their sorrows almost were forgot;
And on their skins, as on the bark of trees,
Have with my knife carved in Spanish letters,
'Let not your sorrow die, though I am dead.'
Tut, I have done a thousand dreadful things
As willingly as one would kill a fly,
And nothing grieves me heartily indeed
But that I cannot do ten thousand more.

I love you.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Nessus posted:

There's also the fact that I think the examples that Americans are most likely to be familiar with in detail are either England's NHS or Canada's single-payer system.

Isn't Canada multi payer with a guaranteed government-backed base coverage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

NotJesus posted:

If you're the one making that plot,
1) Add markers for the debates and for when candidates drop
2) Use different colors instead of shades of red and orange. Some of us are not racist like you; we can't see color :smug:

Pick four colors that separate well for you: http://colorbrewer2.org/ . Unfortunately, ColorBrewer is poo poo when it comes to qualitative colorblind palettes. (If you pick six or eight, you'll have my eternal thanks for helping me figure out a good palette.)

• Locked thread