Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Right now I am running Ranger/Eder/Pallegina/Sagani/Durance/Hiravius. Low AOE but a lot of single target power. Probably drop Sagani for the Devil when I get to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
My last play through was with a ranger so I was trying something different. I wanted to drop Aloth but he's so useful late game that it's like "welp". Plus once you get Cast Level 3 spells per encounter things get pretty nasty.

So my current make up is

Priest (who I'm turning into a Combat Priest and actually speccing Dual Wield as he gets the +10 Accuracy for Magran w/ Swords)
Aloth who's going CC Mage / Crowd Control
Devil of Caroc
Barbarian Two Handed Weapon
Eder who's going specced for Two Handed Weapons and Tanking ability
Druid ???

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 26, 2015

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

frajaq posted:

Just completed White March, only question I have is if the new companions have things to say on quests back in Dyrwood
I've heard that the Devil mocks the Head Animancer of the Sanitarium, moving her arms around and saying "Can you do this?".

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They have about the same amount of barks and interjections as the other CNPCs. I've got Zahua with me and he's commented on, iirc, the Wailing Banshee quest, and he has interjections for both the Baby Stealing and Murder-Druid quests in Twin Elms.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
This was pretty good:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cool. Nice spoiler.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

My spell hotkeys keep randomly un-assigning (even between fights) and it's seriously pissing me off. Anyone has this issue?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys is Whitemarch worth getting?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I actually thought it was more interesting than the main plot so yes.Plus it seems to reward a more careful playstyle and is generally in my opinion more thought out with encounters in general.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Definitely yes

Also I need tips and tricks for the Alpine Dragon fight, I managed to bring him down to Badly Injured before he got a lucky crit on Eder

I'm using a Cipher (PC)
Edér
Durance
Hiravias
Devil
Aloth

Thinking about switching Devil for Pallegina so I can use Supress Affliction the drat Accuracy debuffs :argh:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

frajaq posted:

Definitely yes

Also I need tips and tricks for the Alpine Dragon fight, I managed to bring him down to Badly Injured before he got a lucky crit on Eder

I'm using a Cipher (PC)
Edér
Durance
Hiravias
Devil
Aloth

Thinking about switching Devil for Pallegina so I can use Supress Affliction the drat Accuracy debuffs :argh:

I had the same problem and someone gave me this advice basically.

Make Scrolls of Paralysis. It's pretty much the "easy" button for Dragons. Every single dragon I killed in the game I just increased accuracy for my Wizard and then cast the scroll. Also the Soulbound Estoc that grants petrify.

You should try and wear as much "Second Chance armor" on your back row as you can and Watchful Presence and Death's Door very quickly. Buff everyone up with Dragon Slayer at the Dyrford village. Give all of the spell throwers the Ricepan or whichever food is the +2 INT. Make sure to bring all of your summon items to summon to deal with adds.

Use your off tank to kill all the adds, but make sure to pay attention to the timer for the Petrify or Paralysis.

Basically = Give Eder the Estoc , Buff up
Give Aloth Paralysis Scrolls

As soon as he get's Paralyzed or Petrified, lay on all the debuffs you can that apply to Fortitude, then easily murder him.

Respec Eder before the fight for Tanking only. That helped me a ton.

Also Knockdown works on dragons.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 26, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hollismason posted:

I actually thought it was more interesting than the main plot so yes.Plus it seems to reward a more careful playstyle and is generally in my opinion more thought out with encounters in general.

I should hope so, by the time I get a full party around level 5/6 every encounter is just a mindless lightshow and I lose interest.

Game peaks with trying to take out 5 wolves by backing into a corner with a pair of hatchets and two flames scrolls at level 2.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm actually going to have to rethink going to Galvino's workshop and I'm level 7. So need to get Rogue back because getting owned by all those traps and monsters. Ugh. I think I can make it through there though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

After Kith, what would be the best Slaying enchant? Wilder? Vessel?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I usually go with Spirit or Wilder, depending on who it is. Wilder for Ogres, Spirit for shades etc. They apply to a few other things but those are things that I like to kill ASAP.

Vessel is if you really hate Fampyrs I guess? I never really have a problem with these things like some people.

Beast is mostly for spiders and dragons. Never really cared about this, dragons usually come to some measure of cheese.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I used beast as it works against dragons.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

It's cool that dragons can cast breath while paralyzed and prone

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

frajaq posted:

It's cool that dragons can cast breath while paralyzed and prone
Status effects are buggy as hell. Prone especially so.

I guess it keeps Wizards from dominating the entire game, at least.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I found Vessel and Spirit to be the most useful in the early game.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

By the time you get access to slaying enchants shades and spectres aren't a big deal anymore and I can't think of any really tough kith fights that you'd need slaying for either. The godlike chanter is tough early on but you won't have slaying then anyway. Wilder and vessel are the big ones I think since they're so common and tend to have a lot of life and ogres, vithrack and fampyrs are all dangerous, and then some perfectly geared beast weapons for the dragons.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The toughest Kith fights are the adventurer groups and their difficulty is mostly in the tactics and target prioritization. Same Dragons, there's so few of them and the fights are so specialized. Vessel and Spirit are the best, maybe Wilder. Banshees in huge packs pop up late game and continue to be nasty, and there are some Vessels that spawn in mixed groups that can be hard to deal with.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Does anyone know what goldrot chew actually does?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Unless it's changed between patches (and it might have), it reduces fatigue. Was a big part of getting the minimum rest cheevo

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Unless it's changed between patches (and it might have), it reduces fatigue. Was a big part of getting the minimum rest cheevo

It doesn't last long enough to do anything for map transitions presumably? When would you use it?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

omeg posted:

My spell hotkeys keep randomly un-assigning (even between fights) and it's seriously pissing me off. Anyone has this issue?

It's fixed in the beta patch right now as far as I can tell.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I don't suppose we know if Novice's Suffering applies to Spiritshift in the beta patch?

Also I had no idea that Larder Door's Bash basically alternated swings with your main hand instead of acting like a pseudo-2WF. That's a huge bummer. I love that shield. :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Some of the "pseudo" class skills do not functionally work at all. Like the Outlander Frenzy you basically have to just mash the button over and over and over again. Spiritshift is weird it just randomly stops working during a fight for me or the AI will shift out of it. It's weird.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Shapeshift has an unspecified duration.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Spiritshift

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This is bullshit both my prisoners escaped my dungeons and there is no way to recapture them.

Also Level 8 on Hard mode, should I try to kill Cail the Silent?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Should be workable as long as you don't have some weird unworkable group. Remember to have somebody able to hit 10 mechanics so you can find Tidefall.

Left the White March for the Dyrwood after trying to go there at L6 in my PotD run. Got the Redeemer and Stormcaller but every fight was a pain gimmicky pain in the rear end that ended with me almost dying. Should probably suck it up and bring a wizard or a cipher, but don't want to. :(

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Hollismason posted:

This is bullshit both my prisoners escaped my dungeons and there is no way to recapture them.

It's almost never worth it to take prisoners. You can torture them for extra cruelty, but you're otherwise stuck hoping for their prison events to go off (if they have one) before the jailbreak chance accumulates up to guaranteed escape.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hollismason posted:

Also Level 8 on Hard mode, should I try to kill Cail the Silent?

It's a pretty easy fight, go for it. I do it at like level 6 or 7 on Potd.

I have harder trouble outside to be quite honest.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

No Pants posted:

It's almost never worth it to take prisoners. You can torture them for extra cruelty, but you're otherwise stuck hoping for their prison events to go off (if they have one) before the jailbreak chance accumulates up to guaranteed escape.

Ugh.. both of my prisoners escaped. What are the prison events? I really wanted to go hunt them down again.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Ugh.. both of my prisoners escaped. What are the prison events? I really wanted to go hunt them down again.
Someone comes (such as a slaver or a family member) and offers to pay for their release.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Dick Burglar posted:

Also I had no idea that Larder Door's Bash basically alternated swings with your main hand instead of acting like a pseudo-2WF. That's a huge bummer. I love that shield. :(

Well, in essence it does alternate swings just like two weapon fighting. One of the ostensible disadvantages of two weapon fighting is it slows down the swing rate of each specific weapon in return for an overall higher rate of attack. Therefore, supposedly, if you have one weapon you want to hit with as much as possible (e.g. a stun on crit weapon, a weapon with unusually high interrupt or a spell striking weapon), two weapon fighting weakens your primary weapon. In practice, since the weapon focus talents are pretty low impact, very few weapons have unique, highly desirable on hit effects and the crafting system makes it very easy to make both weapons good, that particular disadvantage of dual wield never comes into play.

Bash, however, has no special effect, can't have a lash and doesn't improve with weapon quality. Therefore, except perhaps in the very early game, before you can get the larder door, bash will always decrease your damage output rather than increase it. Its one saving grace is that it has very short recovery time, which is why it might actually be helpful very early. However, I'm pretty sure that its recovery time is not affected by anything that increases attack speed, so that's another way that bash is a trap.

If you want to use the larder door effectively, make a shield monk. It's actually quite good once you can boost your accuracy decently. Bash's downsides don't apply at all to torment's reach or stunning blow, so it's a strict increase in damage output over other shields. I've switched larder door for badgradr's barricade, a shield with bash that you find in the white march, but it served me quite well throughout a lot of the game. The new bash shield is especially good for monks, because it has pillar of faith on crit and the pillar inherits your innate lashes, so it can do up to 120% more damage on a monk with torment's reach, max turning wheel and lightning strikes. Unfortunately, it's on crit once per rest (wtf?). So it's very unlikely to have much impact on your game except to occasionally be hilarious.

Shields in general actually seem pretty good now. The durgan steel speed effect on a shield is multiplicative with other speed boosts, not additive, so a sword and buckler character will swing 15% faster than a character with a two-hander. Some of the special small shields have very nice unique abilities, too. I'd be willing to be a character with a fully pimped out resolution and the new buckler in White March will out-damage a character using Tidefall in most cases.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'll have to check on that because you can add Durgan Steel to Tide Fall making it swing faster and give more crits then wear the Golden Scales with Durgan Steel. A warrior with Durgan Steel and Armored Grace with Golden Scales has a 30% reduction + the Weapon Speed increase.

The best though is two weapons that are draining and durgan steel with golden scales w/ durgan steel. 5% recovery, increased weapon speed and are both superb.

I've not lost a single fight with Eder decked out for two weapons with Axes that are superb.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

You can do all that stuff with sword and shield too but you get a further speed boost from the shield. After further thought, it's quite possible I was mislead by the description and the speed boost from a durgan reinforced shield is the same as any other speed boost from equipment. But it's still significant. I think it's pretty likely that reliable, annihilation, faster swing speed and warding seal procs will outdamage Tidefall's DoT and dual damage types in most cases. Of course, dual wield is, as is typical for fantasy RPGs, the best for damage output. Two-handers are nice because of the cool special abilities, like reach or 5 DR bypass. Great swords are overall a very weak weapon type (why take slash/pierce when slash damage sucks and the estoc has 5 DR bypass anyway?), but they get quite a few powerful unique items to make up for it.

Weapons actually seem remarkably balanced at this point, except that single one-handed weapon is overly situational.

Has anyone played with spelltongue much? It seems like a really cool unique weapon. The speed boost stacks with the boost from other sources (or from swift strikes, at least). It took me a while to figure out what the game meant by stealing duration from beneficial effects, but it seems it decreases the enemy's effects by 5% on each hit and increases the duration of your effects by 5% per hit. Swift strikes never runs out as long as you keep hitting things with the rapier. Now I'm trying to think of a class that has limited, but very powerful short duration effects that you can prolong indefinitely with spelltongue. It might be really good with a barbarian for permanent frenzy and AoE slow on every hit.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 28, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I assume the stealing effect works with Carnage, right? Endless Frenzy and Savage Defiance sound pretty good.

Rascyc posted:

It's a pretty easy fight, go for it. I do it at like level 6 or 7 on Potd.

I have harder trouble outside to be quite honest.
Outside can get pretty crazy with the increased alarm ranges. I think I was fighting something like seven Drakes at once there, plus a lot of Xaurips.

I think the 3 times I've done the fight on PotD my party was at level 7 as well. I've never managed to do it without multiple KO's because as soon as Cail gets an action off somebody's going down, but I've also never lost.

Also, half of the bugs in my game have decided to fix themselves (I'm not in the patch beta), but now Suppress Affliction doesn't work correctly anymore and the only areas I have left to go to are full of Adragans, Vithracks, Crystal Eaters, Cean Gwlas, Pale Elves that love to spam Confusion...oh yeah and there's also Cragholdt and whatever awaits me there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I took out Cail the Silent last night to get Tidefall at level 8. Galvinos workshop was more difficult. Didn't really have a problem with the fight. I'm playing on hard mode, not POTD though. Then on my way to Dyrwood village my entire party was murdered by a huge pack of lions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I just fought the Adra Dragon for the first time. After reloading about 10 times to work out a strategy to kill the Alpine Dragon, I was expecting a nightmare and thought I'd just run it once without preparation to see what I'm facing. Eder ran up and hit it with knockdown on the first attack. It never got up again. I wasn't expecting the adragans and they gave me a scare with returning storm, but it didn't matter in the end. Give Aloth enough time to set himself up and he can win any fight by himself. I thought I remember reading before the game was released that Obsidian was trying to avoid caster supremacy, but it exists in full force in this game. Especially with the expansion. Ninagauth's shadowflame is simply bonkers. I'm amazed that spell was allowed to exist at all. And I just hit level 13 and I haven't even started chapter 3 yet, so I imagine the rest of the game will consist of Aloth casting fireball until everything is dead.

• Locked thread