Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'll catch up on the thread in a moment, but first here's a really dumb one of mine. It stands to reason that on a fingerprint scan, an incomplete scan could be the result of either not touching the whole scanner or not touching your whole finger (as in its tilted to one side a bit or something), and there's no real way for the scanner to tell when giving you an error message. Except the scanner on the Samsung galaxy s5 is dwarved by a human finger in the direction you swipe your finger, so it's almost impossible to do the former. Despite this, when you don't scan properly, the error message is worded to assume the former. For some unknowable reason it's :spergin:, this annoys me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Furniture buying is the worst. That and buying a mattress are the biggest scams out there. Way worse than getting a car or a house.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh, a less stupid one of mine (less stupid to be annoyed by, the actual thing is stupid as hell): People calling the # symbol a hashtag. It's a loving hash, that's where the word "hashtag" comes from, a tag signified by a hash. I hear it all the goddamn time, in contexts completely unrelated to social media or speaking like you're using it. I know I can't expect critical thinking from anything remotely related to social media but what are the actual tags supposed to be called if you think hashtag is just the name of the symbol? Or am I expecting too much and people are just saying hashtag for the same reason you can get keep calm and carry on on a tshirt now? :eng99:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Actually :viggo: it's an octothorpe.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Excuse me that is a sharp

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I always heard it referred to as "pound," although now I always read it as hashtag.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Buying furniture is the worst.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could actually buy the stuff and take it home.

:) Hi, I'd like one of your small cabinets, like the one on display just over there.
:sax: Certainly sir, that'll be [huge piles of cash].
:) So, can you help me take it to the car?
:sax: Oh, sorry sir. We don't have any available right now. It'll take 4-6 weeks to arrive. On a ship. From Thailand.
:) You know what, I'll get one from Amazon instead and have it delivered tomorrow.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Stoatbringer posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if you could actually buy the stuff and take it home.

:) Hi, I'd like one of your small cabinets, like the one on display just over there.
:sax: Certainly sir, that'll be [huge piles of cash].
:) So, can you help me take it to the car?
:sax: Oh, sorry sir. We don't have any available right now. It'll take 4-6 weeks to arrive. On a ship. From Thailand.
:) You know what, I'll get one from Amazon instead and have it delivered tomorrow.

Last year I bought a $300 chair that was on clearance, last one in the store and I get it home because the people at the store didn't help bring it to the car either. Open the box and there are several important pieces either straight up broken inside or missing. I loving hate furniture shopping, half the time I buy something there are parts missing, whether it's various bolts and washers or bigger parts like the metal post for this chair. Thankfully I hadn't thrown out my old chair yet and just cut the old one apart and re-purposed it. Furniture shopping is one of the least pleasant experiences.

Also it's fun if you put something together and it's not perfect so everyone can comment on how your shelf isn't level or whatever.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Current peeve: when you order a cappuccino and there's chocolate powder on the cup handle.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
One of my coworkers pronounces "frustrated" as "flustrated" and it drives me into a small rage every time I hear it.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Men who don't get the hint when you say "I have a partner. Yes I'm seeing someone"

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

pussy riot police posted:

Men who don't get the hint when you say "I have a partner. Yes I'm seeing someone"

Or when they respond to your polite "no thank you, I'm not interested" with a "what, you got a boyfriend or something?" What does it matter if I do, rear end in a top hat? I'm saying no and the reason is irrelevant.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm trying to get back into playing guitar and I have a shitload of actual tablature books for songs I want to play, books that are all stamped with OFFICIAL AUTHENTIC RECORDED VERSIONS all signed off by the bands and publishers.

Almost every single one has egregious, glaring errors.

Sometimes it's minor - an embellishing note is missing an accidental and its just a matter of scribbling in the correct note. Sometimes, however, the entire book is hosed. I have a book of songs where every single song has completely unrelated chords at the top, and if I see a chord or voicing I don't know off the top of my head I need to look it up in another book because it's not going to be where it's supposed to be.

I get all this poo poo used for pennies on the dollar but the retail price of these books is often $20 or so - if I was paying retail for this stuff I'd be pissed as hell.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Weirdos on public transportation who insist on talking to total strangers about bizarrely stupid poo poo like how ghosts watch them dance. I have been listening to this girl go on and on for a solid 20 minutes about the most asinine nonsense. One time I was subjected to a rant about how someone got robbed because the cops were too busy getting blown. Which cops? No idea. All of them, I guess. It was a cop blowjob crime fest.

What's worse, the guy next to me smells like a fuckin' ashtray and I am getting over a cold so it's irritating the poo poo out of me.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 11:41 on Sep 29, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

One of my coworkers pronounces "frustrated" as "flustrated" and it drives me into a small rage every time I hear it.

Would you say you find it flustrating?

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

You shouldn't let it get you so frustered.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
People who stand on both sides of the escalators - who in my town are clearly marked with signs explaining that you stand right and walk left - should be placed in some sort of extermination camp.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Weirdos on public transportation who insist on talking to total strangers about bizarrely stupid poo poo like how ghosts watch them dance. I have been listening to this girl go on and on for a solid 20 minutes about the most asinine nonsense. One time I was subjected to a rant about how someone got robbed because the cops were too busy getting blown. Which cops? No idea. All of them, I guess. It was a cop blowjob crime fest.

What's worse, the guy next to me smells like a fuckin' ashtray and I am getting over a cold so it's irritating the poo poo out of me.

I used to really hate smokers on the bus until the day a lady with a rotting leg was on. Now I just pray no more decaying humans are on the poorly ventilated metal cans I use to get around. Bonus points go to the horrifying fat lady I saw every morning for like a year who was growing mold between her neck folds. People who apply perfume or other scent things on the bus are pretty bad too I guess.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Same here, only it's "supposebly" instead of supposedly.

Every-time. It's like hearing a five year old talk.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

People who don't pick up their dog poo poo. I live in the "dog friendly" section of our apartment complex, and walking across the courtyard has become akin to navigating a loving minefield. A poo poo minefield. All the poo poo seems to be clustered RIGHT around our door, too, and it sure as hell isn't us. We don't even have a dog!

The real rub? There is a conveniently placed trash can in the center of the courtyard, complete with a plastic bag dispenser for the EXPRESS purpose of picking up your dog's poo poo. There is NO loving excuse. You own a dog, you pick up after it. It is THAT loving simple!

Krolewna
Jan 8, 2014

The me of the future can worry about THAT, while the me of the present enjoys life.
Honestly, one of the biggest ones I have is with Google maps, or any other smartphone gps. I use a Bluetooth connection to listen to music, so I hear every notification on my phone. When this happens, my music stops completely, and the notification is played. I sometimes forget to mute the directions, and I swear to god...the names of some roads and the frequency at which directions are given infuriate me to no end.

"Turn right in the next 500 ft on 285 N for 20 Windway East on Dinglehoppen Boulevard Parkway Street Northwest"

This occurs at least 5 times in a span of 10 seconds. Each time interrupting my song. I may have invented a language in the attempts to accurately vocalize my rage.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

People really get in a state about other people saying "I could care less" rather than "I couldn't care less"

Actually both are fine? "I couldn't care less" is a direct way to say 'I do not care'.

But saying "I could care less" is like maybe one step up from not caring at all; it's not the opposite of "couldn't care less", like when people 'misuse' the word "literally" (it bugs me when people get upset about that too). If the most you can say about something is that you could care less, that's really a sarcastic way of saying, 'I really don't care'. Like, if you said "you could be less attractive" or "your performance could have been worse", those aren't positive statements. They're basically the a step up from the negative sentiment "you couldn't be less attractive".

Then again, I don't necessarily think that most people that say "I could care less" have that parsed out - and they probably are meaning to say "couldn't care less". bah

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Or when they respond to your polite "no thank you, I'm not interested" with a "what, you got a boyfriend or something?" What does it matter if I do, rear end in a top hat? I'm saying no and the reason is irrelevant.

Men who, when you tell them why you're not interested, try to talk their way out of it. I had a guy tell me he had a 6-year old, then when I said I didn't date guys with kids, he replied, "Oh, but she's not really in my life or anything!" :ughh:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Men who, when you tell them why you're not interested, try to talk their way out of it. I had a guy tell me he had a 6-year old, then when I said I didn't date guys with kids, he replied, "Oh, but she's not really in my life or anything!" :ughh:

"Well you sound like a GREAT guy, then! Let's date! This is not a red flag at ALL!"

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

People who don't pick up their dog poo poo. I live in the "dog friendly" section of our apartment complex, and walking across the courtyard has become akin to navigating a loving minefield. A poo poo minefield. All the poo poo seems to be clustered RIGHT around our door, too, and it sure as hell isn't us. We don't even have a dog!

The real rub? There is a conveniently placed trash can in the center of the courtyard, complete with a plastic bag dispenser for the EXPRESS purpose of picking up your dog's poo poo. There is NO loving excuse. You own a dog, you pick up after it. It is THAT loving simple!

Someone near me has taken the dog poo thing a step further. When their dog takes a poo poo they have huge wads of paper tissues and it appears that they pick up the poo/smear the poo all over the tissue then leave the tissues laying around. They also try 'discreetly hide' the poo by leaving piles of tissue on top of poo mounds. I'm not talking a few sheets either, I'm taking massive piles of poo poo smeared paper towels that then blow about. They seem to strike maybe once or twice a month and always in the same place. gently caress whoever it is, I want to punch them so hard.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Captain Lavender posted:

People really get in a state about other people saying "I could care less" rather than "I couldn't care less"

Actually both are fine? "I couldn't care less" is a direct way to say 'I do not care'.

But saying "I could care less" is like maybe one step up from not caring at all; it's not the opposite of "couldn't care less", like when people 'misuse' the word "literally" (it bugs me when people get upset about that too). If the most you can say about something is that you could care less, that's really a sarcastic way of saying, 'I really don't care'. Like, if you said "you could be less attractive" or "your performance could have been worse", those aren't positive statements. They're basically the a step up from the negative sentiment "you couldn't be less attractive".

Then again, I don't necessarily think that most people that say "I could care less" have that parsed out - and they probably are meaning to say "couldn't care less". bah

Maybe I'm just springing a trap but this explanation is my peeve. Only one of those phrases makes sense, but by sheer force of ignorance, the other will now become perfectly accepted.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Dr Scoofles posted:

Someone near me has taken the dog poo thing a step further. When their dog takes a poo poo they have huge wads of paper tissues and it appears that they pick up the poo/smear the poo all over the tissue then leave the tissues laying around. They also try 'discreetly hide' the poo by leaving piles of tissue on top of poo mounds. I'm not talking a few sheets either, I'm taking massive piles of poo poo smeared paper towels that then blow about. They seem to strike maybe once or twice a month and always in the same place. gently caress whoever it is, I want to punch them so hard.

There's this weird trend here where people will go through the trouble of buying bags, picking up their dog's poo poo and... leaving it there. On the sidewalk. In the place where the dog pooped. It makes zero sense to me.

Other pet peeves:

1) People grabbing my arms to look at my tattoos. Strangers grabbing/touching me is just such an absolute no-no. Of course, I absolutely shut down whenever someone does this so I never have the opportunity to say, "That's really inappropriate," and I just spend the whole day stewing about it.

2) There are at least two people in almost every class I have that talk at a normal volume AT the professor during lectures. Nothing helpful, just running commentary poo poo like, "haha, yeah. So true." It's the IRL equivalent of people who respond with "lol" on posts with no other input.

3) People under the age of 25 who have really strong negative opinions about cellphone or internet usage, citing phenomenon such as "We're all connected, but like, LESS connected, man," as the basis for their contempt. Yet, all these people have full Facebook profiles, Instagram, etc, and pretend as if they wouldn't be able to survive socially or professionally if they got rid of these things, or at least put less personal information and pictures up.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I already posted about Facebook dinner humblebrags but I'm posting again because it makes me crazy. Watch, I can do it too! I'm making picadillo tonight and I can say "I'm making picadillo tonight" or I can say "Tonight I'm making sauteed red & green capsicum with lightly fried onions in garlic, stewed with minced beef and crushed tomatoes and served over slow-cooked black beans and jasmine rice, garnished with diced jalapenos."

I'll say the first one, because it's loving picadillo :mad:

Somebody literally just did this with food that translated to "breaded chicken and salad" and I hate you, stop it.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Gay guys who persist after I say "Thanks, but I'm straight." The best was a guy in a dance club who paused a few seconds, then suggestively said "Up to the hilt..."

Well poo poo, why didn't you say so in the first place?!! Hot drat, let's go!

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

People who say or post "To be fair," and then say something asinine just to attempt to play Devil's Advocate in order to have something to say.

I'm not saying it doesn't have its uses at times, it just gets overused.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
"Well I always say if you're early, you're on time, and if you're on time, you're late."

That is not how schedules work.

I mean, yes, nobody likes it when other people are late and we should all try to be early to poo poo anyway, etc etc., but if you didn't want people to show up at the time listed on the schedule, WHY IS THAT THE TIME YOU PUT ON THE SCHEDULE. Because if people arrive at the time listed on the schedule, they are by definition "on time". If you want "on time" to be earlier, MAKE IT EARLIER.

It's just such a stupid phrase. I think I have more of a problem with that than the sentiment behind it. Just say you want everyone to be early. It's that simple.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've heard that saying a lot but never actually encounted it in real life, at least not as a serious statement. Some people do take it to the extreme and show up really obnoxiously early - like when I was a TA and had office hours and found a student camped outside my door 45 minutes before they started. It's weird. Being 5-10 minutes early is fine and I'd argue that's the ideal, but if you show up exactly on time it's just as good. I'd never encourage it though because eventually you'll get stuck in traffic or something and go from exactly on time to late, which is always bad.

Which brings me to one of my pet peeves: people who disagree with that last statement and honestly believe "fashionably late" is a good thing to be. I can understand it for informal group parties where your attendance doesn't effect anything, but for every other situation people do it in it's just annoying.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Parasol Prophet posted:

"Well I always say if you're early, you're on time, and if you're on time, you're late."

That is not how schedules work.

I think the idea is that if you arrive just on time you have to take a few extra minutes to settle in, get your coat off, find a seat, etc. So by showing up a few minutes early you can do all that before it's the scheduled time and be actually ready to start on time.

My parents were hideously out of date with working outside their cushy jobs and thinks showing up 30 minutes early to every shift (and work off the clock) is acceptable. No, if my job starts at a certain time I'll be there and ready by that time. Before that, gently caress off I ain't doing poo poo unpaid.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh yeah, I'm not advocating for anyone to be actually late-- that just seems like the most annoying way to make it known.

Also the kind of people who use that phrase never seem to tell you about it until way after the fact. So it has an added flavor of "Oh by the way, you've been failing my standards all this time, but since my policy is not the company's I didn't say anything about it-- but now that you mention it, if you could get here 10 minutes earlier from now on? Thanks."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People who veto decisions but have no suggestions of their own. For example, picking somewhere to eat. I don't care, I'll eat anywhere, so if someone suggests a restaurant I'll go with it. But if no one else has anywhere in mind, I'll pick something. But then you always get that person going "Nah, I don't feel like <whatever>." So where do you want to go then? "I dunno, just not that." If you're going to be picky, make a decision.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Tiggum posted:

People who veto decisions but have no suggestions of their own. For example, picking somewhere to eat. I don't care, I'll eat anywhere, so if someone suggests a restaurant I'll go with it. But if no one else has anywhere in mind, I'll pick something. But then you always get that person going "Nah, I don't feel like <whatever>." So where do you want to go then? "I dunno, just not that." If you're going to be picky, make a decision.

"That's the only place that's open. Let's go."

"That's ... the only restaurant that's open at 6pm? "

"Yep, only one I can think of. Why? What else would be open?"

Then, no matter what example they give, POUNCE. Tell them, "Your idea sounds good, let's go!"

If they still balk, just keep insisting you can't think of any more places. At least then, they'll have to do the work of coming up with options.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
When I get to my job by bus, I have about 15 minutes before my shift begins. This is the perfect amount of time to gently caress around on my phone and get coffee, with no risk of being late. It works well.

However:
My pet peeve is when people talk to me during this time. No, I don't care about work when I'm not on the clock. No, I don't want to hear about the new workplace drama. No, even if you're my friend, no. Since I come directly from school, this is the only time I have where I am beholden to no one in a solid 9-10 hours. Let me drink the drat coffee.

Actually, let me expand that: if I am eating and we are not at a meal together, don't talk to me. I hate this way more than i should and I really have no justifiable reason for it, so I think it fits this thread.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

"females"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's wrong with just using the word "women!" gently caress!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"Females" is only acceptable if you're referring to a group encompassing both girls and adult women or if you're Phil Lynott