Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Back for more,

Looking to replace the jeep that has been a 3000 mile a year second car for about 6 years now. Thinking that I am looking for something with 6-7 seats for friend-hauling occasions. Willing to spend 10k or thereabouts.

From the looks of things, I can get a 10 year old minivan, or a slightly newer SUV. What should I be looking for in this case? The Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna are both well regarded, and surprisingly expensive for old-rear end cars, but 100k on the odometer might not be a big deal, when I'm only looking to put another 40k on it in the next decade. Minivans that are not a honda or toyota are cheaper, but since I'm looking to keep this damned thing till the kids are out of college, a thousand or two in either direction isn't too much of a big deal if it is the right thing for the next ten years. Looks like I can't come anywhere close to the 2011 model year refresh on these for that kind of money...does that actually matter?

Buying in Southern Illinois, so weather isn't too punishing, and the roads aren't _that_ salty.

Anything else I should be considering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
At the 8 to 10,000 dollar mark, is there a better freeway commuter/second vehicle than a Kia Soul?

All i care about is it must be stick shift, i dont expect amazing fuel economy. They are weirdly priced, i see one for sale for $8500 with 35,000 miles, and one for $9400 with 97,000 miles. Im starting a job with an 80 miles each way commute, and my miata will not do that. I dont have the cash on hand to buy something reliable, so i thought a loan would be best. Its my first job where i'll be making above poverty-level money, so i thought i could afford to finance a kia. I dont care if i make the money back, i'll run it into the ground. (actually, i take very good care of my vehicles)

I wanted a fiat abarth but that was too much money :(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

At the 8 to 10,000 dollar mark, is there a better freeway commuter/second vehicle than a Kia Soul?

All i care about is it must be stick shift, i dont expect amazing fuel economy. They are weirdly priced, i see one for sale for $8500 with 35,000 miles, and one for $9400 with 97,000 miles. Im starting a job with an 80 miles each way commute, and my miata will not do that. I dont have the cash on hand to buy something reliable, so i thought a loan would be best. Its my first job where i'll be making above poverty-level money, so i thought i could afford to finance a kia. I dont care if i make the money back, i'll run it into the ground. (actually, i take very good care of my vehicles)

You can get a 2nd gen Prius for $8-10k, and at 160 miles driven a day that would be a wise decision. No it's not stick, but is your freeway 5th gear experience a must have?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If people stop buying stick shifts, dealers will stop ordering them :(

I really would like to not have to ever drive an automatic until i die. (I'm 29). I'm already getting over them forcing ABS on me.
What about a compromise? Is the CR-Z any good? Its more expensive and doesnt have a back seat. I've thought a lot about this and the kia soul is the winner so far, but i'm open to suggestion.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 30, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The manual transmission honda hybrida have serious battery issues. Hybrid and manual do not work for whatever reason.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'll sell you my Mazda2. :v:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MattD1zzl3 posted:

How did you come to this insane conclusion? Most people do want good fuel economy in their freeway commuters, especially if they aren't rich, and the Kia Soul's highway fuel economy is awful - 29mpg highway when most subcompact hatchbacks get over 40. Almost any other car on the market would be a better choice. How about a Miata?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If people stop buying stick shifts, dealers will stop ordering them :(

I really would like to not have to ever drive an automatic until i die. (I'm 29). I'm already getting over them forcing ABS on me.
What about a compromise? Is the CR-Z any good? Its more expensive and doesnt have a back seat. I've thought a lot about this and the kia soul is the winner so far, but i'm open to suggestion.

How are you "getting over them forcing ABS" on you at age 29? I'm about the same age and have literally never driven a car without ABS.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ABS is objectively a good thing for a street-driven car. You are not Michael Schumacher, and the real world is not a controlled, predictable race track.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Guinness posted:

ABS is objectively a good thing for a street-driven car. You are not Michael Schumacher, and the real world is not a controlled, predictable race track.

Internet Explorer posted:

How are you "getting over them forcing ABS" on you at age 29? I'm about the same age and have literally never driven a car without ABS.

. I'd be happiest with wind-up windows and no power steering as well. I just hate features, i always prefer the stripper model, even if it was the same price as a higher-spec. Sadly in this market every car is 25,000 and above because its loaded down with a bunch of poo poo i dont want, and this is only going to get worse as they require backup cameras, auto-braking and lane-keeping features i also dont need. I'm a loving attention hawk on the road, i never relax, i scan gauges, i dont mess with the radio.

Back on topic:

Throatwarbler posted:

How did you come to this insane conclusion? Most people do want good fuel economy in their freeway commuters, especially if they aren't rich, and the Kia Soul's highway fuel economy is awful - 29mpg highway when most subcompact hatchbacks get over 40. Almost any other car on the market would be a better choice. How about a Miata?

Is 29MPG bad? I thought that was pretty good but i'd of course be happy with getting more. The miata gets something like 22-24, so thats no good. I looked at a Chevy Spark base model, but its weedy little 1.2L korean engine i think would break after a few months of 75MPH freeway cruising. i thought sustained high RPMs and high load kill engines over time.

Is the mazda2 a better option than the soul? I thought the soul's "lifted wagon" body style would be good for some light off roading (just camping, really) and with the seats folded down could carry a lot of stuff. Again, my criteria is "Stick shift highway commuter at or slightly below 10K". It helps if its simple enough for me to maintain it myself completely

Space Gopher posted:

Wow, you sound like a real badass.

Anyway, the answer to your question is "Honda Fit." Unless the seats are too multifunctional for you.

Love the Fit, it has the best transmission out of any car i've driven in this segment, but it has the "Its reliable becuase its a honda tax" means at my price point i'm looking at 70,000 mile + cars, instead of the 30,000 mile kia. It can of course go much farther if its well maitained, but i feel like i'm rolling the dice on the previous owner taking good care of their cheap honda for 70,000 miles.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 30, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Back up cameras are a little different imho because they provide information that you could not have without them.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I respect your car buying criteria and do not want to convince you that i am right and you are wrong. I'd be happiest with wind-up windows and no power steering as well. I just hate features, i always prefer the stripper model, even if it was the same price as a higher-spec. Sadly in this market every car is 25,000 and above because its loaded down with a bunch of poo poo i dont want, and this is only going to get worse as they require backup cameras, auto-braking and lane-keeping features i also dont need. I'm a loving attention hawk on the road, i never relax, i scan gauges, i dont mess with the radio.

Is the mazda2 a better option than the soul? I thought the soul's "lifted wagon" body style would be good for some light off roading (just camping, really) and with the seats folded down could carry a lot of stuff. Again, my criteria is "Stick shift highway commuter below 10K".

Wow, you sound like a real badass.

Anyway, the answer to your question is "Honda Fit." Unless the seats are too multifunctional for you.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't be a luddite. I am actually selling my Mazda2, though.

It's a bit far from you, but the thing has been dead reliable and handles extremely well. If you like to do 75+ on the freeway, it might not fit the bill. However, I routinely get 36-38mpg on every fill up by limiting interstates to ~70mph and use 55-60mph state highways when I can. Also, 8-10k mile oil change intervals when using the Mazda rebranded Idemitsu 0W20. Nm has one and knows that I'm not blowing smoke up your rear end.

It's a 2012 Grand Touring model with 65.5k on the clock.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The mazda2 is a five door, fwd miata with better FE.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And 50+ less hp.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

IRQ posted:

And 50+ less hp.

Than a new one. He has an NA, which is way closer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He has a 1.6L which made 116hp brand new in 1990-1993 and weighed 2250lbs and gets around 28mpg. A Mazda2 makes 100hp weighs 2306lbs and routinely gets 35mpg, and has 4 airbags, ABS, and traction control.

E: I guess I mixed you up with another S Florida goon :x

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 30, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I have a base model 1996. If it's a 1.6 it's news to me.

I was all on board for the Mazda 2 train but there are none, zero, in manual in my area (south florida) according to my usual car search engines. I dont care for the mazda 3 at all. The 6 could be an option, im sure that is a comfy freeway cruiser, but i dont like big cars.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 30, 2015

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I'm actually trying to sell a car, not buy one. But I think this is the place for it. A while ago I financed a new '14 Charger SXT Plus RWD for 28k (plus tax), 4.5k off sticker. I've since put 10k miles on it. KBB puts the value at 24-25k for a private party sale.

KBB is always overly optimistic and there's very, very few comparable cars on CL in the NYC metro area. AutoTrader offered 21k, which is almost tempting, that's almost exactly the payoff, but I don't mind paying it off and selling it myself if I get an extra three or four thousand. I'm just not sure how long it'll take to find a buyer... or if there's anyone out there paying that kind of cash up front besides dealers.

It's an excellent car by the way, but I bought it when I had a long commute, now I don't. I live in a dense city with limited parking, high insurance rates and drive it once every two or three weeks now.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Proposed Budget: $10,000-$15,000
New or Used: Probably used, but I'd consider new
Body Style: Hatchback, crossover
How will you be using the car?: Outdoor trips (e.g. hiking, climbing, camping), in-town driving
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, can handle mild Forest Service roads, fuel economy, cost

Here's my situation. I primarily commute using public transit, walking, or using Car2Go in the city. That means I don't need to drive very often, but it's difficult to go on outdoors trips without a car. My current car is a 1998 Ford Explorer that isn't as reliable as it used to be, although it does only have about 100,000 miles on it. I've driven it for almost 15 years, so I've gotten a lot of good use out of it.

I've recently had to have the crank sensor and serpentine belt replaced, the transmission has been getting noticeably sluggish when it shifts gears, and now the thermostat and radiator have blown out. Going off of Kelley Blue Book, the trade-in value at Fair condition would be $1,193-$1,438 or $2,058 to a private party. Those are probably optimistic since it has cosmetic damage (dented-in panel and missing trim, damaged plastic on the front bumper), it was in an accident years ago (rolled on its side), plus it may have taken other damage when the radiator burst. I would repair it again, but I think it may be to the point where I'm throwing good money after bad. I particularly don't want to take it on trips several hours away from any town and have it break down at a trailhead.

I've considered not getting a replacement car, but this is the one thing that I don't feel like I can do without one. I don't think Zip Car or rental companies allow taking their cars off of paved roads, so that option is out. What I'd be looking for in a car would be something affordable and reliable that could still handle mild potholes and gravel on forest roads. Used seems like a better financial decision, although I don't know if I have the mechanical knowledge to spot potential problems when I'm scoping out options. I'd plan to keep whatever I buy for its useful life. I was looking at the Ford Focus Hatchback as an option, but crossovers also seem like they could work.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So I got a new job recently and I'm looking towards buying a newer car than my current 740 brick, which is starting to act up in various ways and just doesn't get the mileage I need for a daily driver. I'm planning to buy between 6-8 months from now and use the intervening time to settle at my job and establish an exact budget rather than an estimated one, as both my current and previous cars were purchases off of family members and I'm not used to the idea of buying one commercially yet.

Proposed Budget:
$18-20k upper ceiling, but used for $10k would be fantastic
New or Used:
New would be nice but used is fine (and very likely what I'm going to do,) so long as its not particularly ancient
Body Style: compact, albeit one with space for someone my size (6'1", chunky)
How will you be using the car?: daily commute driver, about 65 miles a day, 5-7 days a week.
What aspects are most important to you? the three things I need the most are, in order: rock-solid reliability, really good mileage, and driver space. I know the basics of car maintenance (oil and filter changes, changing a tire, etc.) but don't really have the free time to be constantly working on the thing to keep it running and having to take it in for service constantly is also less-than-ideal, as I work odd and unpredictable hours.

While I do enjoy driving I mainly just need a car that I can take to work and haul groceries in, and occasionally put luggage in for ~200 mile trips once or twice a year. I don't deal with passengers much so rear seats are optional. Also: I don't know how to drive stick, so that would be a nice thing to keep in mind. I don't need a lot of fancy poo poo inside (touchscreens, Bluetooth, etc.) So long as I can hook my phone up or listen to radio, but creature features like a/c and cruise control would be preferred.

I'm generally looking around the yaris/fiesta/fit range so far, although I haven't gotten to the actual test driving stage of car shopping.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

more friedman units posted:

Proposed Budget: $10,000-$15,000
New or Used: Probably used, but I'd consider new
Body Style: Hatchback, crossover
How will you be using the car?: Outdoor trips (e.g. hiking, climbing, camping), in-town driving
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, can handle mild Forest Service roads, fuel economy, cost

Here's my situation. I primarily commute using public transit, walking, or using Car2Go in the city. That means I don't need to drive very often, but it's difficult to go on outdoors trips without a car. My current car is a 1998 Ford Explorer that isn't as reliable as it used to be, although it does only have about 100,000 miles on it. I've driven it for almost 15 years, so I've gotten a lot of good use out of it.

I've recently had to have the crank sensor and serpentine belt replaced, the transmission has been getting noticeably sluggish when it shifts gears, and now the thermostat and radiator have blown out. Going off of Kelley Blue Book, the trade-in value at Fair condition would be $1,193-$1,438 or $2,058 to a private party. Those are probably optimistic since it has cosmetic damage (dented-in panel and missing trim, damaged plastic on the front bumper), it was in an accident years ago (rolled on its side), plus it may have taken other damage when the radiator burst. I would repair it again, but I think it may be to the point where I'm throwing good money after bad. I particularly don't want to take it on trips several hours away from any town and have it break down at a trailhead.

I've considered not getting a replacement car, but this is the one thing that I don't feel like I can do without one. I don't think Zip Car or rental companies allow taking their cars off of paved roads, so that option is out. What I'd be looking for in a car would be something affordable and reliable that could still handle mild potholes and gravel on forest roads. Used seems like a better financial decision, although I don't know if I have the mechanical knowledge to spot potential problems when I'm scoping out options. I'd plan to keep whatever I buy for its useful life. I was looking at the Ford Focus Hatchback as an option, but crossovers also seem like they could work.

A used higher mileage pickup truck would do, if you don't drive it in town a lot. ANy of the trucks on the market will probably be fine, well maybe not older Dodge trucks. Tacoma or Frontier would be best.

quote:

So I got a new job recently and I'm looking towards buying a newer car than my current 740 brick, which is starting to act up in various ways and just doesn't get the mileage I need for a daily driver. I'm planning to buy between 6-8 months from now and use the intervening time to settle at my job and establish an exact budget rather than an estimated one, as both my current and previous cars were purchases off of family members and I'm not used to the idea of buying one commercially yet.

Proposed Budget:
$18-20k upper ceiling, but used for $10k would be fantastic
New or Used:
New would be nice but used is fine (and very likely what I'm going to do,) so long as its not particularly ancient
Body Style: compact, albeit one with space for someone my size (6'1", chunky)
How will you be using the car?: daily commute driver, about 65 miles a day, 5-7 days a week.
What aspects are most important to you? the three things I need the most are, in order: rock-solid reliability, really good mileage, and driver space. I know the basics of car maintenance (oil and filter changes, changing a tire, etc.) but don't really have the free time to be constantly working on the thing to keep it running and having to take it in for service constantly is also less-than-ideal, as I work odd and unpredictable hours.

While I do enjoy driving I mainly just need a car that I can take to work and haul groceries in, and occasionally put luggage in for ~200 mile trips once or twice a year. I don't deal with passengers much so rear seats are optional. Also: I don't know how to drive stick, so that would be a nice thing to keep in mind. I don't need a lot of fancy poo poo inside (touchscreens, Bluetooth, etc.) So long as I can hook my phone up or listen to radio, but creature features like a/c and cruise control would be preferred.

I'm generally looking around the yaris/fiesta/fit range so far, although I haven't gotten to the actual test driving stage of car shopping.

Prius.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I currently have a 2010 Mazda3 base model sedan (well, I have A/C). I've now been hit three times and have received payouts equal to more than the value of the car (only fixed mechanical damages). I like my car, but I'm thinking of getting a 2010-2012 Mazdaspeed3. Anybody want to talk me out of it?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
My current car is dying of rust and lung cancer, so perhaps it is time for a new one. I want to buy a car that can take me and my friends hiking to the middle of bum gently caress nowhere on "roads".

Proposed Budget: 5000€
New or Used: used
Body Style: don't care
How will you be using the car?: I will use it to go hiking in remote places, where the "road" might just be a vague hole-filled muddy path that sees 5 cars a year; also, there may be a foot of snow on top of this path. No fording rivers or crazy climbs, though.
What aspects are most important to you? Fits a lot of people and cargo (at least 5 people; 7 is ideal but all 7+ seaters I have seen have poo poo cargo space, so 5 might have to be enough); has good AWD system that does not get stuck in snow; does not rust like a motherfucker

I live in Estonia, so there might not be too much in common with the car models available in USA. Auto24 is our biggest car sales portal, so the dropdown on the left there might give some idea of what sort of cars are even available here.

Not too afraid of maintenance & repairs, as long as the parts are not crazy expensive. Most cars in my price range here are rustbuckets, so if you can recommend me something that is known not to have too major rust issues by design, it might be a bonus.

I have heard good things about Mitsubishi Pajero but have no real idea of what might satisfy my needs. Any advice is very welcome!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wife got into an accident today and totaled our 2009 Ford Flex SEL. We'll be shopping for a another car once the insurance check comes and want some opinions.

Proposed Budget: $15k - $25k
New or Used: Probably have to be used to be in that price range.
Body Style: SUV/Anything with 3rd row.
How will you be using the car?: This is the stay-at-home wife's errand and kid hauler. No commuting but she takes a 1000+ mile road trip to see family a couple times a year.
What aspects are most important to you? Needs to have a 3rd row. Have 2 kids and 2 extended family members we drive around pretty regularly.

Wife doesn't want a minivan, I'm indifferent on the idea. I like the sliding doors but I think with only 2 kids it may be a bit too much.

We've looked into the following:
Ford Flex
Toyota Highland
Honda Pilot
Mazda CX-9

When we bought our Flex, we looked at the Maxda CX-9 but the 3rd row was laughably small. We liked the Flex we bought, but my wife is more partial to the Highlander now. I think the highlander looks bland and boring as hell and like the Flex or Pilot better. Good MPG would be nice but as little driving as it gets it's not a concern, I have my own commuter car for that. SO really what I'm looking for are any reviews or other vehicles I haven't looked into yet that I should consider.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
What about the Ford Transit Connect Wagon? Or a used Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey? Based on your usage and the fact that you want a less-than-tiny 3rd row, you and your wife probably want a minivan. As soon as those kids have friends you're going to want the extra room.

If you can't deal with driving a van, the Nissan Rogue is pretty reasonably priced ($25,000 MSRP for the base trim 2015 model with a 3rd row seat, and it should be heavily discounted as it's nearing the introduction of the 2016 model), is very safe, and gets decent fuel economy for those long trips. The Mitsubishi Outlander is another cheap and safe pick, although I can't speak to Mitsubishi reliability.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not a huge fan of the 3rd row in the Highlander or other mid sized CUV's, in those size vehicles you can have cargo space, or a 3rd row, but not both.

Minivan's are the obvious choice, but I get the minivan hate, my wife refuses to drive one as well even though a Sienna or Odyssey would be the best vehicle for the family.

She drives a Ford Explorer, basically the Flex in a different package, you should be able to find a decently equipped XLT CPO example in your price range. The Honda Pilot is a solid choice as well. There are the GMC triplets to consider in the larger CUV/SUV segment as well. I loved the Buick Enclave as a road trip car, but my wife veto'd that as soon as the word Buick came out of my mouth.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, honestly I really dig minivans. We debated the Odyssey or Sienna when we went to the Flex but it's that drat minivan stigma. As far as I can tell the Pilot is the same car as the Odyssey, except up higher and less interior space as a result.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

FCKGW posted:

Wife got into an accident today and totaled our 2009 Ford Flex SEL. We'll be shopping for a another car once the insurance check comes and want some opinions.

Proposed Budget: $15k - $25k
New or Used: Probably have to be used to be in that price range.
Body Style: SUV/Anything with 3rd row.
How will you be using the car?: This is the stay-at-home wife's errand and kid hauler. No commuting but she takes a 1000+ mile road trip to see family a couple times a year.
What aspects are most important to you? Needs to have a 3rd row. Have 2 kids and 2 extended family members we drive around pretty regularly.

Wife doesn't want a minivan, I'm indifferent on the idea. I like the sliding doors but I think with only 2 kids it may be a bit too much.

We've looked into the following:
Ford Flex
Toyota Highland
Honda Pilot
Mazda CX-9

When we bought our Flex, we looked at the Maxda CX-9 but the 3rd row was laughably small. We liked the Flex we bought, but my wife is more partial to the Highlander now. I think the highlander looks bland and boring as hell and like the Flex or Pilot better. Good MPG would be nice but as little driving as it gets it's not a concern, I have my own commuter car for that. SO really what I'm looking for are any reviews or other vehicles I haven't looked into yet that I should consider.

The Lincoln MKT is the best non-minivan 3 row vehicle you can buy right now. :colbert:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Kia Sorrento has a third row available as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Throatwarbler posted:

The Lincoln MKT is the best non-minivan 3 row vehicle you can buy right now. :colbert:

I unironically agree with you, the problem is the MKT is about the ugliest drat car on the road to most people. I personally like it, but everyone I've ever talked to loving hates it. They don't hold their value worth a poo poo either making them excellent used values.

I think it's one of the few vehicles you can get 2nd row heated and cooled seats on, and even has a drat refrigerated center console available. 2 to 3 year old CPO models are going for high 20's to low low 30's in my area. There's major cash on the hood for new purchases as well.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

more friedman units posted:

Radiators are generally pretty easy to DIY, if it was the cost of a shop that was putting you off the idea. Someone correct me if the Explorer is an exception, though.

If you're not talking about driving dirt (not gravel) roads in wet conditions, or up steep hills, you don't need to worry about anything but reliability, and maybe ground clearance only to the extent of avoiding especially low cars (a Prius probably isn't for you, for instance). Potholes are bad for every car in existence, that's why you should be driving around them. Any car can handle gravel roads. If that's all you actually have to worry about, don't limit yourself to cars that are depicted in forests and deserts in their TV ads. A Focus will be fine, and so would almost anything else.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Proposed Budget: $5000 +/- ~$1000 CDN (I live in CANADA so that probably translates to $4000 USD right now :canada:)
New or Used: Used, mid 2000s. Need to be able to purchase outright, no leases. (When recommending a car, please note any common problems specific to that car that I should be concerned about when buying used through a private sale.)
Body Style: 4 door sedan or sport-sedan. Hatchback = no.
How will you be using the car?: Business and pleasure. I'll be putting 5000km/month on it, all inner city. It needs to run, and it might as well be fun.

What aspects are most important to you?:
• Factory installed keyless cabin and trunk entry (keyless trunk entry being a serious deal-breaker)
• Large trunk
• Quick 0-60
• Fuel economy
• Inexpensive spare parts
• Reliability
• Preferably not require premium gas
• Something with a touch of class would be nice

I currently drive an '06 Pontiac Grand Prix base model. I purchased it in March and since then have spent more money repairing it than I initially purchased it for. Things like new brakes and new mufflers, sure, that was to be expected, but when the ABS harnesses in both front wheel assemblies need to be replaced completely, belts start flying off of the engine, and the power steering pump needs to be replaced 3 times in less than 90 days, it's time to start looking for something else.

It's the second Grand Prix of this body style that I've owned. The first was an '04, also base model, that didn't have any of the problems that this one did (wait, no, that's not right... Water pump exploded and radiator had a leak, but it still wasn't out of commission as often as my current one), and I got it up to 275000km before I got T-boned. That was a fantastic car, hence why I opted for basically the exact same thing as my next car.

Things I like about the Grand Prix:
• Trunk space.
• Quick off the line. Even though it's not the supercharged model it's still got enough punch to keep things exciting.
• I can drive it like a manual.

Things I don't like about the Grand Prix:
• Always in the shop, and sky-high parts costs. (Being a relatively ubiquitous GM vehicle it seems perplexing that this should be the case...)
• Stupidly wide turning radius. The only way you'll ever park this thing between two cars in a standard parking lot stall is if you start by getting all the way over in the opposing lane, roll your window down to check that there's less than a hair's width between your driver's side and the bumper of the car parked opposite of your intended target, begin to turn, realize you're going to hit the car to the left of the stall, reverse, go forward again, reverse, and then go forward until you're magically in the spot. Reversing into a spot is easy as hell in this car, but how often are you left in a parking lot without somebody immediately behind you ready to take that spot the second you get two feet past it?
• More on that last one... Given how much more turning of the steering wheel you have to do, you would think the power steering pump wouldn't explode so often.
• Fuel economy could be better. I should have gone for the supercharged V6 if I knew I was going to be spending this much on gas.
• It could be quicker off the line.
• It's only available with an automatic transmission, and I *have* to drive it like a manual. If I want to keep acceleration up I'm constantly downshifting to 3rd or 2nd gear to make sure I've got enough torque on hand to execute lane changes and maintain the speed of that lane. Otherwise it just sits in 4th and farts without going forward like its nickname "The Grandpa Prix" suggests it might.
• 2nd gear has a slight slip at 3500RPM, and knowing that the transmission is usually the first thing to go in these cars, I'm thinking this one's overdue.

Cars I'm interested in, possibly because I'm retarded, I don't know:
• 2005ish Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp-G - I'm already familiar with the Grand Prix, it's in my price range, and the Comp G is the only V6 Grand Prix with the heavier duty 4T65E-HD transmission. (That said, even my mechanic thinks this is the stupidest decision I could make given my terrible experience with my current Grand Prix.)
• 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 AWD - Slightly above my current price range but seems to offer better fuel economy, better traction, manual transmission, lots of horsies.
• Nissan, Toyota, Honda...?
• 4-cylinder Turbo AWD?

What else is there? For how often I'll be driving it, should I be thinking turbo diesel? Are there any zippy and reliable turbo diesel sedans in that price range that don't cost an arm and a leg to get parts for? For whatever reason, I was always under the assumption that domestic AMERICAN cars would be the easiest to service, most reliable, and cheapest to maintain, so when my mechanic suggested looking for a Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, or Honda, it completely threw me for a loop, and I quite honestly have no idea how to find what would work best for me in the used market given that you can't just go and test drive every used car from 10 years ago that pops up on Kijiji 200km away.

Help plz goons. :smith:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 8, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Does the Dodge Journey have three rows? I have always been tempted to try one as a rental but never have.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Does the Dodge Journey have three rows? I have always been tempted to try one as a rental but never have.

Yes, in Canada anyway. It is on my list of cars to check out along with the pricier Durango (R/T hell yeah) and grand cheerokee.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

We had one. The third row is not very useful for adults, similar to the Rogue/Outlander. Ours was a 2.7/6 AT and terrifyingly slow with 190hp, the rental spec ones are usually the ~175hp 2.4s with the A604 4 speed so even slower. You're not missing much besides the joy of using the tiptronic to downshift 3 gears every time you want to pass.

Handen posted:

Proposed Budget: $5000 +/- ~$1000 CDN (I live in CANADA so that probably translates to $4000 USD right now :canada:)
New or Used: Used, mid 2000s. Need to be able to purchase outright, no leases. (When recommending a car, please note any common problems specific to that car that I should be concerned about when buying used through a private sale.)
Body Style: 4 door sedan or sport-sedan. Hatchback = no.
How will you be using the car?: Business and pleasure. I'll be putting 5000km/month on it, all inner city. It needs to run, and it might as well be fun.

What aspects are most important to you?:
• Factory installed keyless cabin and trunk entry (keyless trunk entry being a serious deal-breaker)
• Large trunk
• Quick 0-60
• Fuel economy
• Inexpensive spare parts
• Reliability
• Preferably not require premium gas
• Something with a touch of class would be nice

I currently drive an '06 Pontiac Grand Prix base model. I purchased it in March and since then have spent more money repairing it than I initially purchased it for. Things like new brakes and new mufflers, sure, that was to be expected, but when the ABS harnesses in both front wheel assemblies need to be replaced completely, belts start flying off of the engine, and the power steering pump needs to be replaced 3 times in less than 90 days, it's time to start looking for something else.

It's the second Grand Prix of this body style that I've owned. The first was an '04, also base model, that didn't have any of the problems that this one did (wait, no, that's not right... Water pump exploded and radiator had a leak, but it still wasn't out of commission as often as my current one), and I got it up to 275000km before I got T-boned. That was a fantastic car, hence why I opted for basically the exact same thing as my next car.

Things I like about the Grand Prix:
• Trunk space.
• Quick off the line. Even though it's not the supercharged model it's still got enough punch to keep things exciting.
• I can drive it like a manual.

Things I don't like about the Grand Prix:
• Always in the shop, and sky-high parts costs. (Being a relatively ubiquitous GM vehicle it seems perplexing that this should be the case...)
• Stupidly wide turning radius. The only way you'll ever park this thing between two cars in a standard parking lot stall is if you start by getting all the way over in the opposing lane, roll your window down to check that there's less than a hair's width between your driver's side and the bumper of the car parked opposite of your intended target, begin to turn, realize you're going to hit the car to the left of the stall, reverse, go forward again, reverse, and then go forward until you're magically in the spot. Reversing into a spot is easy as hell in this car, but how often are you left in a parking lot without somebody immediately behind you ready to take that spot the second you get two feet past it?
• More on that last one... Given how much more turning of the steering wheel you have to do, you would think the power steering pump wouldn't explode so often.
• Fuel economy could be better. I should have gone for the supercharged V6 if I knew I was going to be spending this much on gas.
• It could be quicker off the line.
• It's only available with an automatic transmission, and I *have* to drive it like a manual. If I want to keep acceleration up I'm constantly downshifting to 3rd or 2nd gear to make sure I've got enough torque on hand to execute lane changes and maintain the speed of that lane. Otherwise it just sits in 4th and farts without going forward like its nickname "The Grandpa Prix" suggests it might.
• 2nd gear has a slight slip at 3500RPM, and knowing that the transmission is usually the first thing to go in these cars, I'm thinking this one's overdue.

• 2005ish Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp-G - I'm already familiar with the Grand Prix, it's in my price range, and the Comp G is the only V6 Grand Prix with the heavier duty 4T65E-HD transmission. (That said, even my mechanic thinks this is the stupidest decision I could make given my terrible experience with my current Grand Prix.)
• 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 AWD - Slightly above my current price range but seems to offer better fuel economy, better traction, manual transmission, lots of horsies.
• Nissan, Toyota, Honda...?
• 4-cylinder Turbo AWD?

What else is there? For how often I'll be driving it, should I be thinking turbo diesel? Are there any zippy and reliable turbo diesel sedans in that price range that don't cost an arm and a leg to get parts for? For whatever reason, I was always under the assumption that domestic AMERICAN cars would be the easiest to service, most reliable, and cheapest to maintain, so when my mechanic suggested looking for a Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, or Honda, it completely threw me for a loop, and I quite honestly have no idea how to find what would work best for me in the used market given that you can't just go and test drive every used car from 10 years ago that pops up on Kijiji 200km away.

Help plz goons. :smith:

I don't think you should bother with the speed6, they are not very reliable.

The 2004 3.5l Chrysler Intrepid I had fits every one of your requirements perfectly, although fuel economy wasn't what I would call great - it's a pretty large car, keyless trunk opening and everything, the trunk even has classy gas struts, while cheap junk like the current Mercedes S-class uses gooseneck hinges. It was reliable for the ~4 years I owned it but I did all the well known preventative maintenance on it right away(timing belt, transmission flush) when I bought it. 2004 was the last year for that particular vehicle though, it's a 12 year old car now.

Toyota/Nissan/Honda of the period you are looking at are generally not expensive to service, are more economical in terms of fuel economy(this was back when GM was still putting terrible pushrod V6s in all t heir cars), are are more reliable in aggregate than most American cars, but you will pay substantially more for them up front for the same year/mileage so it's mostly a wash.

I think a Nissan Maxima from the previous 2 generations or so would be all right, they don't hold their value as well as Toyota/Honda so they should be a little cheaper to buy used. Maybe also a last generation Mazda6 too.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 8, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Long Post Canadian Man, you can pick maybe like four of your requirements at your price point.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Handen posted:

If you're so in love with the Grand Prix, is there some reason you're not considering Impalas, Monte Carlos, Regals, and Lacrosses? Same platform, most of the same running gear.

Here are the ones that have the transmission you want:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4T60-E_transmission#4T65E-HD

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 9, 2015

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm trying to pre-order the Ford Focus RS at MSRP but I honestly have no idea how the whole pre-order thing works. I got a dealer to agree to MSRP today with a 1k deposit but then walked when the manager tried to stick some poo poo on the buyer order I wasn't asked about(anti-theft device, some other bullshit). I want to not have to go through this again so If anyone can offer some advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Also how do I give them less money for the free loan(deposit)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bad news bud, you're trying to buy a very in demand car on a preorder that won't be produced in large volumes. I would just have told the manager to take all that other stuff off and stop dicking around. Almost every Ford store you talk to is going to do the same thing, and I doubt you'll have a deposit of less than a thousand bucks no matter what. It's all in the game.