Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

VendaGoat posted:

I've said it in this thread I'll say it again. If you are investing less than 100,000, stick to an index or Vanguard fund. You simply can not diversify enough, of any kind of meaningful investment.

Once you get above that number you can spread yourself out, across the entire market.

But this is the trading thread, not the investing thread. If you're investing then yeah, absolutely, but you're not going to double your capital in a month by investing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

My Q-Face posted:

But this is the trading thread, not the investing thread. If you're investing then yeah, absolutely, but you're not going to double your capital in a month by investing.

Play slot machines then. :downs:

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

VendaGoat posted:

I've said it in this thread I'll say it again. If you are investing less than 100,000, stick to an index or Vanguard fund. You simply can not diversify enough, of any kind of meaningful investment.

Once you get above that number you can spread yourself out, across the entire market.

I would argue you could properly diversify with less than that, depending on your commission schedule and timeline. It also depends on what part of the market you want to capture. Large cap domestic is pretty easy to diversify. Small and medium caps, not so much.

Passive index funds most assuredly have their place, but unless you are solely buying into SPY or other similar indexes, the expense ratios can get somewhat significant. I also don't know why everyone thinks this is some sort of dichotomy. There are people out there who have an investment strategy that isn't "dump all your money into an index fund" and "gamble on small cap solar stocks". The benefit of diversifying your own portfolio is that you can choose your own level of risk. Index funds lock you into the risk of lets say the S&P 500. What if you want a higher dividend without riskier tech stocks? You can move to a dividend focused managed fund, but the more tailored your need is, the more expenses you pay.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I also don't know why everyone thinks this is some sort of dichotomy.

Because this is the internet and we must argue, because the other guy is always wrong.

Can you imagine an internet that got along with each other?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

VendaGoat posted:

Can you imagine an internet that got along with each other?

Yeah, it would be like us making money off of the things we're all investing in in this thread. :v:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I have seen ACI and ACLS mentioned more than once in the last few pages.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
ACI was up 20% this morning.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I have no idea how you boys tolerate those swings. That poo poo would drive me to a heart attack.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Planeshifter2 posted:

I agree with most of this but I think for many people dying of cancer with months to live, getting 5 more months is actually a really significant thing. If the mean survival benefit is 5 months, some people will also live much longer than that. We haven't cured cancer and we're not close, but we have made a lot of incremental progress and I don't think the work that has gone into that is to be scorned.

We're on the same page. Huge things are going to happen in the next ten years and we're just in an awkward adolescent phase. It's the hype that makes me nervous.

Full disclosure: my investment portfolio is extremely heavy in healthcare, and I didn't close any positions after all. What changed is I normally would have dumped more in. This time I'm skittish.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
It might be time to start to think about maybe buying oil stocks. HOS for instance is about at a historical low. Same with Tdw and Sdrl. Although sea drill partners is listed as posting 25% dividends.

I think it might be worth it so wait until oil firms start folding before buying. or if it looks like the Saudis are going to fold.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

VendaGoat posted:

I have no idea how you boys tolerate those swings. That poo poo would drive me to a heart attack.

Checked Apple price today, I felt like I was burning up and my left arm was very tingly. I went away after I checked Gilead.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Torpor posted:

It might be time to start to think about maybe buying oil stocks. HOS for instance is about at a historical low. Same with Tdw and Sdrl. Although sea drill partners is listed as posting 25% dividends.

I think it might be worth it so wait until oil firms start folding before buying. or if it looks like the Saudis are going to fold.

Saudi's got some definite cash burn going on, but with a contingency fund in the trillions I'm not sure they'll be worried about anything yet.

Seadrill is all over the oilfield news, and I'm not sure they're going to survive this little recession we're having.

Most medium and small cap oil companies in Canada are basically planning for this downturn to last anywhere from 3-5 years from every person I've talked to... (YMMV, it's all hearsay, but this is why I'm staying out of oil stocks at present.)

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

originalnickname posted:

Saudi's got some definite cash burn going on, but with a contingency fund in the trillions I'm not sure they'll be worried about anything yet.

Seadrill is all over the oilfield news, and I'm not sure they're going to survive this little recession we're having.

Most medium and small cap oil companies in Canada are basically planning for this downturn to last anywhere from 3-5 years from every person I've talked to... (YMMV, it's all hearsay, but this is why I'm staying out of oil stocks at present.)

Agreeing with this. I don't see a reason for why the Saudis would stop until major players start to drop.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

They're never going to stop. They have the lowest marginal cost of getting oil out of the ground. Why would the most efficient player dip out of the market while the inefficient ones reap the benefit of tightened supply? It makes no sense, and the Saudis have expressed this exact sentiment.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

VUZI literally dropped 10% today on the release of a robot clickfarming article that claimed they had preliminary results on the company's Q2 release as a loss. (The earnings release in question happened almost two months ago.) I bought another lot that I'm probably going to hold for a week because this makes no sense.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Oil is a game of chicken between the fed and ZIRP on one side and the Saudi's ability to maintain enough social spending to quell public unrest.

Exxon and the other vertically integrated majors will survive the crash, but I have my doubts about everyone below them. If you think about it, it's probably good for XOM in the long run.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Commoners posted:

Yeah, it would be like us making money off of the things we're all investing in in this thread. :v:

buying Arkane's picks and making 20% in a month

we can make the trading thread great again!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Every other market is green across the board. Gonna open 50% down! :v:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I have a feeling MCZ is gonna blow up today. I base this on nothing whatsoever.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I need to figure out a way to make this song play every time I check my stocks on my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGX8EOH82pc

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WDC
:prepop:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Well when someone wants to buy 15% of your company, the price is going to raise a bit. :v:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm so jaded about China that I interpret it as a public face to a condition of Chinese MOFCOM restrictions lifting soon (WD and HGST still haven't been allowed to merge because of China however many years after the acquisition now). "We'll lift MOFCOM restrictions but we'd like 15% of your company, thanks."

I expect an announcement from WDC about MOFCOM any day now.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
MCZ update for RB4:

On Amazon:
#35 in Video Games
#3 in Video Games Xbox One Games

:byodood::fh:

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

I need to figure out a way to make this song play every time I check my stocks on my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGX8EOH82pc

80's Techno better personifies the Dax. The Dow is more Yacht Rock, specifically Michael McDonald.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I'm a stock newbie. I have a bunch of shares from the company I used to work for, that company happens to be Nike.

The site that my shares are held with, Computershare, is kind of lovely I feel but it works for my needs which are just checking transaction history, getting tax information, and putting in sell orders.

I put in a limit order (first time I've ever done a limit) on Friday the 25th, at $123/share. It took them 5 days to process the limit order for some reason (well I suppose 3 business days) and this morning they sold my shares at $123/share.

Now.. Friday the market closed with NKE at ~$125/share, Monday it opened with them at ~$124/share. I guess I don't understand limit orders correctly but my presumption was that they would fulfill the order so long as the shares were at $123 or higher when I put in the order. I really just put a limit on it to ensure that if the price tanked overnight I wouldn't be stuck selling at $115 or something. Is $2/share that much? no, not really, but it's still frustrating that I don't seem to know how limit orders work.

Can anybody explain to me that i'm a doofus so I can shake this feeling that Computershare is taking advantage of me by taking 3 business days (an eternity in stock market time) to do something with my order?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

MMD3 posted:

So I'm a stock newbie. I have a bunch of shares from the company I used to work for, that company happens to be Nike.

The site that my shares are held with, Computershare, is kind of lovely I feel but it works for my needs which are just checking transaction history, getting tax information, and putting in sell orders.

I put in a limit order (first time I've ever done a limit) on Friday the 25th, at $123/share. It took them 5 days to process the limit order for some reason (well I suppose 3 business days) and this morning they sold my shares at $123/share.

Now.. Friday the market closed with NKE at ~$125/share, Monday it opened with them at ~$124/share. I guess I don't understand limit orders correctly but my presumption was that they would fulfill the order so long as the shares were at $123 or higher when I put in the order. I really just put a limit on it to ensure that if the price tanked overnight I wouldn't be stuck selling at $115 or something. Is $2/share that much? no, not really, but it's still frustrating that I don't seem to know how limit orders work.

Can anybody explain to me that i'm a doofus so I can shake this feeling that Computershare is taking advantage of me by taking 3 business days (an eternity in stock market time) to do something with my order?

The order probably executed on Friday. Stock market orders take three days to settle.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

There's all kinds of games and fine print they can play in terms of when they execute your specific order, so long as they meet the specific instructions you entered, which is to give you $123/share or better, which they did.

Looking at the pricing data for NKE for Sept 25:

code:

09/25/20151
Open 23.125
High 125.95
Low 122.7
Close 125
Volume 18,479,600

So the stock traded around your limit price and they likely filled you at that price when it hit that level. If you want $125 enter $125 as your limit.

The three days is probably because of the standard T+3 clearing time, which is how long all equity trades tale to clear in the US.

Also you seem to be confusing limit orders with stop-loss / stop-limit orders, which is the order type used to "protect" you in case the price moves drastically, like you said. If the price had moved to $116 then you would still own the stock because 116<125.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
The order was probably filled immediately when the price was at your limit, and the confirmation delayed until it was cleared. I cannot imagine it took 3 days to fill if it was trading at your price.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

orange sky posted:

I have a feeling MCZ is gonna blow up today. I base this on nothing whatsoever.

I have a feeling MCZ is gonna range until RB releases.

:shrug:

Preorders seem to be lookin' good though. I love that this industry has a system allowing you to generally get a feel for how popular or how well a product will sell before it even comes out.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 30, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hey, tax-loss harvesting question for ya'll:

I've got some substantial long-term capital gains from sales earlier this year. With the recent slump I've got some broad market ETFs in the red that I'm considering selling and re-buying similar but not "substantially identical" ETFs for some tax loss harvesting to offset the gains. I've held the ETFs for less than a year, so if they were positive they'd be short-term capital gains. But for a loss it doesn't matter whether they are short/long term, right?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Guinness posted:

But for a loss it doesn't matter whether they are short/long term, right?

right. good plan. always try to take that 3k writeoff every year if you can.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Everything in my Stocks app was green for the first time in a while today. I know it's dumb to check them every day but hey, Small Victories.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Anony Mouse posted:

Everything in my Stocks app was green for the first time in a while today. I know it's dumb to check them every day but hey, Small Victories.

Everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK Gilead is up

I need a paper bag. Like to breathe in so you don't hyperventilate and pass out.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

Everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK everything's gonna be OK Gilead is up

I need a paper bag. Like to breathe in so you don't hyperventilate and pass out.

Have a drink.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's only money!

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Only a 2% gain today. Think about all the bargains that are still available!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Erdricks posted:

Only a 2% gain today. Think about all the bargains that are still available!

Post your buys.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If you want a laugh look up annaly capitals p/e ratio and dividend going into the imaginary rate hike. Remember this is a stock cramer pounded on as a buy during the last melt down.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=nly&ei=E6sMVsG7AZanjAHZxYbIAQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
how much is the imminent release of Rock Band 4 already priced into MCZ? I'm tempted to buy some in the hope it gets a nice bump post release but I have a feeling the jump from a few weeks ago was the market reacting to the release.