Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Hopper posted:

I too will gladly pay more than a cards value for a gift card. WTF?

Its VAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HKS posted:

Did they schedule the sale for a Tuesday because some people were still holding out hope for a September Star Marine release? Or is it to pad sales numbers for the month? Or just make it in time so they can sell something else in October? Have they ever sold 2 ships in one month?

They scheduled the sale for Tuesday because normally James Pugh does "Meet the Devs" on Tuesday and well he was kind of fired in a fit of Smart-induced rage on the part of Sandi. This is the first time they've broken their Friday sale cycle.

If Star Marine isn't released today then CIG will have hit exactly one announced date in the history of the project; last month's release of the Social module.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

I too will gladly pay more than a cards value for a gift card. WTF?

VAT at 20%. Ships bought with RSI credits are not charged VAT.

At least there's a slight chance the government will do something useful with their cut.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So I asked earlier but didnt get a serious reply, did they implement that soda dispenser in any customer playable format of the game yet?

my point is that if no, do you think someone is hard at work to get it working, or do you understand that it was only designed to sell more spaceships to retarded people who all live on disability and are prob not going to live past the age of 40 due to clogged arteries, and the project is permanent shelved never to see the lgiht of day much like your self-respect?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If Star Marine isn't released today then CIG will have hit exactly one announced date in the history of the project; last month's release of the Social module.

I dunno, I'd let them off on the initial hangar module release too. That was only like 1 or 2 days. Nothing like the 'two weeks' nowadays.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like Maryland. I live in the southern part of the state and I enjoy my life so it's all good.

My wife almost divorced me after I went hunting for the first time. I told her it might be four hours or so and then went on into the woods, turning off my cell. 8 hours later I check my cell and my wife has left me more than a few messages indicating her displeasure at the idea that I ran off into the woods with a bunch of guys with guns and for all she knew I was dead. The good ole' boys I was with all got a laugh at that. So yeah, overestimate how long you'll be gone when you tell your wife this stuff.

I always over estimate the time I'm going to be gone. Part of it is looking good when you come home "early" from whatever you were out doing. Used to play airsoft pretty heavily and had to learn quickly that telling her I'd be gone for an hour or two to sate her ire at me running out Saturday morning just didn't work in the long game.

Zmej posted:

same here. what county/town were you in? i appreciate MD more after living in philly for almost a decade now. maybe it's because i'm forgetting what it was like growing up with such whitetrash in the southern end.

I moved to St. Mary's county in 96, did a stint in SoCal from 99-2001 and then moved back, finished up high school and then joined the Marine Corps. Then I came back again in 2011 when I got out of the military and, while the area had expanded and there was more to do, it was still poo poo and cost of living had gone right up with the expansion. The house we'd been renting prior to me joining the Corps was costing us $1100 a month and the dude wouldn't charge rent in December (House was paid off, he and his wife got their annuity in December). When I came back, it hadn't been lived in since we left some 5 years prior so I asked about renting it out again. All this fucker did was put in a new stove/dishwasher and fix the bricks in the front steps where water had eroded them away and he wanted $2400/mo for the house.

Otherwise I just hate southern Maryland. It's great if you're older and can afford to golf, buy a boat, having a nice "anything" tab in your bank account but it sucks if you're younger, have young kids or don't make $60k a year or more. The white trash aspect of that part of the state is pretty ridiculous too. I haven't had a juggalo try and stare me down since I left that poo poo hole so I'm all good with eastern NC.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Gamers Nexus has something from their interview I think that they aren't releasing till Friday, so might be FPS, but could be anything else.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

At least there's a slight chance the government will do something useful with their cut.

Wait what? If you buy a 25 € voucher , say for iTunes, do you actually pay 25+tax at the cashier?
That's hosed up. Get a proper VAT system yanks.

Karl_Ramseier
Aug 21, 2015

I don't have to work very hard at being an asshole. It comes naturally.

No practice needed.

Since Goons ruin everything, I'm pretending to be a Goon for Halloween!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've been paying attention to Star Citizen for three years now. In that time I have read as much as I could, watched nearly every video related to gameplay, poured over countless interviews, and have had a record 11 questions answered by the "104TX" series. I have met the developers, including visiting the Santa Monica studio, and have been involved in numerous examples of where feedback has changed the game or the crowdfunding project. I am likely one of the most visible members of the community, and almost certainly one of the most controversial. I can say, with complete confidence, that nobody outside of CIG (and possibly nobody inside CIG) has a clear idea of what Star Citizen is supposed to be.

At best I can say Star Citizen a first-person space opera MMO with elements of EVE Online, Privateer, and Mass Effect and a heavy emphasis on mini-games. Squadron 42 is Wing Commander with twenty-five years of polish.

I hope we will get at least wing Commander vi
The rest is just dreams...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hopper posted:

Farms now sell "shares" in cows. You pay today to invest in a cow and after several months/years you reap the benefits and get half a cow neatly partitioned to make steaks, burgs etc. from it.

This is very appropriate for this thread indeed. I'd say save the cash and buy a rift/vive, but this might be a better deal :v:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

This is very appropriate for this thread indeed. I'd say save the cash and buy a rift/vive, but this might be a better deal :v:

I was reading a comparison of the Rift/Vive over on True Reviews that left me torn. Vive is going to be the more expensive of the three options dropping in the next 5-6 months by HTC's own admission. Rift feels/looks more complete, more like a finished product but I think the Vive had higher resolution and the partnership with Valve and some of those other companies is pretty appealing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

that includes the database fee for activatating the giftcard duh

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Madcosby posted:

So I asked earlier but didnt get a serious reply, did they implement that soda dispenser in any customer playable format of the game yet?

my point is that if no, do you think someone is hard at work to get it working, or do you understand that it was only designed to sell more spaceships to retarded people who all live on disability and are prob not going to live past the age of 40 due to clogged arteries, and the project is permanent shelved never to see the lgiht of day much like your self-respect?

Everyone ITT knows this. Nobody has made anything that is not directly related to selling more ships. I think a year's worth of FPS updates never once showed someone getting shot or shooting a gun. There is one photoshopped picture of raising iron sights, a video of some juking that was removed, and a video of ladder climbing. I think Sandi once posted a picture of a grenade mid-explosion.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Madcosby posted:

Of course it's not out yet. The space-bus is still firmly in "Selling JPGs" territory, it's not one of the flyable ships.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
so if you spent like 10 dollars on this game and asked for a refund would they give you 10 back? Or would it be like 1 dollar?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen single-player will have 'top-level movie cast'

quote:

Speaking to Develop, Roberts said he cast Squadron 42 like he would have done during his time working in film, an industry where he spent a number of years working as a director and producer. Earlier this year, the team spent four months shooting performance capture for the game at Ealing Studios in the UK.

“We have a top-level movie cast more than any game that’s been out there, period, by a long way,” he said.

So I cast it like I did my movies. It’s acted like the movies. We have the full performance capture, we’re pushing the tech as much as possible.”

Cloud Imperium is working with firms such as 3Lateral and Cubic Motion to help bring the single-player campaign to life. Roberts said all performances in-game will occur in real-time, rather than a pre-rendered cutscene.

“It should be different the way Wing Commander 3 and 4 felt, where you saw the scenes play out, which was kind of cool,” he said.

“But this is all fluid, first-person, in the game itself, and you’re under full control. It’s not pre-canned or anything. You’re hanging out with these people that you would know, and they’re your wingmen, your commanding officer or whatever. I think it’s going to be great.”

Roberts said the studio has yet to share too much information on the single-player element of Star Citizen as he does not want to ruin the narrative for players. He claimed however that it will "compete with the biggest triple-A games".

He added that further details on Squadron 42 will be announced at CitizenCon in Manchester on October 10th.

We’ll be publishing our full interview with Chris Roberts on the state of Star Citizen and where the crowdfunding money for one of the most expensive games of all time has been invested in the October issue of Develop magazine, which is out next week.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

Wait what? If you buy a 25 € voucher , say for iTunes, do you actually pay 25+tax at the cashier?
That's hosed up. Get a proper VAT system yanks.

No, CIG is the only company I know of that does it this way. Everyone else includes VAT in their gift card price, but CIG obviously figured out this would mean them getting 20% less money, so.....

Also why would we use that funny europe money.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope he's referring to a good movie and not Wing Commander

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Refunds are having their database fees deducted.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I wonder how much of the budget went to paying the cast. 90 million definitely isn't a lot once you start paying actors.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
There are going to be 9 Star Wars movies.

Chris Roberts figures he can get at least 5 Squadron 42 ones. He's already paid for most of episode I, if rumours are to be believed for 8-11 million.

I wonder who all will appear as executive producers for episode I.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

LCL-Dead posted:

I was reading a comparison of the Rift/Vive over on True Reviews that left me torn. Vive is going to be the more expensive of the three options dropping in the next 5-6 months by HTC's own admission. Rift feels/looks more complete, more like a finished product but I think the Vive had higher resolution and the partnership with Valve and some of those other companies is pretty appealing.

I'm not buying any of them until they get past this whole "Click and teleport your view and play area" movement method. It seems to be trending right now but it feels super awkward to me.

Edit: video of what I'm talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVQ49XrdpJo

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 30, 2015

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

HKS posted:

Everyone ITT knows this.

I'm not convinced everyone knows it. People are talking about selling ships on reddit vs getting a refund, with identical language on "buying low" from bitcoin conversations.

Everyone that's asked for a refund, I salute you. You seem smarter than the other retards in this thread who still harp about gray markets and investments. I pity those people who paid money for this

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Madcosby posted:

no

even the ship that the soda machine is supposed to be in is not implemented in any playable format of the game. There's some unfinished 3d models that have been shown on video.

Also said ship only has value or any point whatsoever, in terms of a playable part of a "game", in the eventual promised Persistent Universe. The most evidence anyone has seen of the PU is a paper board game mockup

quote:

yes I think everyone in this thread is sufficiently appraised of that possibility

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LCL-Dead posted:

IMHO read this, including the caveat at the end, and then decide:

http://www.destructoid.com/the-htc-vive-is-an-absolute-vr-game-changer-312714.phtml

TL;DR, if you have a spare room somewhere, get a vive. Otherwise, get whichever, they'll both have the same 2160x1200@90Hz screen. Vive is allegedly more comfortable to wear and will release earlier, Rift is cheaper, comes with a pair of headphones tuned for VR, will have more compatible things at release, but will release later, and won't arrive with the hand controllers (so the price difference might become moot if those aren't cheap and you want them).

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

I'm not convinced everyone knows it. People are talking about selling ships on reddit vs getting a refund, with identical language on "buying low" from bitcoin conversations.

Everyone that's asked for a refund, I salute you. You seem smarter than the other retards in this thread who still harp about gray markets and investments. I pity those people who paid money for this

To be honest, everyone was just waiting for Madcosby to drop by and state the bloody obvious.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

B-level is many levels higher than Z-level, so that should count as being very close to the top, right?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

HKS posted:

Everyone ITT knows this. Nobody has made anything that is not directly related to selling more ships. I think a year's worth of FPS updates never once showed someone getting shot or shooting a gun. There is one photoshopped picture of raising iron sights, a video of some juking that was removed, and a video of ladder climbing. I think Sandi once posted a picture of a grenade mid-explosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cir3w-wIx9U

This was released a year ago.

Madcosby posted:

Yes because why get back 2x my money when I could just get back 1x my money instead??

Wait a second......

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

hahahaha

AP posted:

Star Citizenry benefits everyone

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Yea that and the multicrew were both demos cooked up just for the events. I don't consider that as the real game. I was talking about after they start giving FPS updates on Fridays. Since the 'rework' on the fps animations/backend/whatever the gently caress there's been no pew pew.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

LCL-Dead posted:

The visual hardware might as well be identical, same resolution same screen size. The differences are in the tracking technology and the direction their interfaces go.
Vive uses SteamVR, Rift uses Oculus home. Vive comes with its motion controllers, Rift comes with an Xbone controller and the motion controllers are sold separately. Vive uses a laser tracking system with two lighthouse bay station things that allow up to a 5x5 meter tracking area so you can stand up and turn around and flail your booty all over only with the tether to the headset, but you don't have to, the size is just possible, not required. Oculus uses a similar system to what they have now, supposedly better but not as big a tracking area unless you buy and add more tracking camera things. Vive is more expensive than the Rift, but is more "complete".

Personally I'm going for the Vive since it comes out first and I have a room to dedicate to VR like a proper idiot nerd and I'm not really interested in the social zones Oculus is going with their software and development. I also loathe that it comes with an xbone controller instead of the motion controllers because to me that means less people will support them as they'd plan the user to have an xbone controller instead. Also Oculus Home or whatever they call it is closed source where Vive uses Open VR which is not.
If both are good I'll get both though so whatevs.

EDIT
Right the Rift comes with the headphones but I'm not interested in them. I'd much rather have them come with the motion controllers instead of headphones because I feel that's more important but then again I'm not tubby Palmer on the cover of Time.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 30, 2015

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

To be honest, everyone was just waiting for Madcosby to drop by and state the bloody obvious.

If it was obvious no one would buy ships

how is this difficult for you people. oh right, i forgot. Self-inflicted retardation.

Question for people still hanging on: what's your tolerance? How long can Chris Roberts string you along before you give up? I want to know, I really think I should start taking money from you too

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Madcosby posted:

how is this difficult for you people. oh right, i forgot. Self-inflicted retardation.

Question for people still hanging on: what's your tolerance? How long can Chris Roberts string you along before you give up? I want to know, I really think I should start taking money from you too

Thank you for bringing this much-needed fresh perspective to the thread, friend.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sarsapariller posted:

Thank you for bringing this much-needed fresh perspective to the thread, friend.

why dont you guys derail with a forced conversation about hamburgers so as not to address the actual concerns again

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

HKS posted:

Yea that and the multicrew were both demos cooked up just for the events. I don't consider that as the real game. I was talking about after they start giving FPS updates on Fridays. Since the 'rework' on the fps animations/backend/whatever the gently caress there's been no pew pew.

OK? I mean, I'm hardly bullish on the prospects of CIG actually releasing a fun game, I think that artist's letter is damning of their entire management processes in the extreme and I've cashed out, but goons going "lol it doesn't exist the only thing they do is sell ship jpgs" is still loving dumb.

There was a massive leak thanks to JARED!!! being a dumbass, and people like Parias got all sorts of things out of it/working in it.

It obviously does exist, and is slowly shambling towards being something, but that something is just going to be a game filled with over-engineered tedious un-fun crap like DRINKMASTER-5000 and "Farmville, in SPAAAACE!"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

Well people have been having doubts for a while but I think you've really started to fuel some real concerns with your analysis of the situation.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Madcosby posted:

why dont you guys derail with a forced conversation about hamburgers so as not to address the actual concerns again

Continue making accusations based on vague misreadings of previous threads, not really knowing who said what or when. It's great. You're trolling really well. I'm very stirred up.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sarsapariller posted:

Continue making accusations based on vague misreadings of previous threads, not really knowing who said what or when. It's great. You're trolling really well. I'm very stirred up.

huh?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
cosby i love you bro but theres only like 2 dudes in this thread who still believe in Star Citizen, you are literally preaching to the choir

I'd estimate a third of the people who post here arent even backers, we just came for the hijinx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sarsapariller posted:

They're right though, why stay in this thing as it is exceedingly obvious that the only thing left in star citizen is the drama that comes out of it. Roberts is a hack that can't make movies but still keeps trying, Sandi is a hack that wants to be an actor that can't act yet keeps trying, and Ben is a large man that can't kiss Roberts yet keeps trying. They just sold a 900 dollar picture of a ship.
There is and never will be a game, if there is just play it when it comes out, this isn't an investment you fukkin nerds think about it for a few seconds, please.

• Locked thread