Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Montasque posted:

Which is odd since he already has a zero tolerance stance on abortion... So what's the play by no-showing on this vote?

I have no idea. Looking forward to hearing the spin on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jewel Repetition posted:

I guess just like Bush, he's campaigning for the general, not the primary.

I'm not so sure. "My bro kept us safe" is not going to fly well in the general. Like I think that is the intention of those two but I don't think they're succeeding at even that.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

TheTatteredKing posted:

I'm not so sure. "My bro kept us safe" is not going to fly well in the general. Like I think that is the intention of those two but I don't think they're succeeding at even that.

'My bro kept us safe' isn't doing so well for him in the primary either... Jeb! Needs to hit the next debate out of the park... Unfortunately for him I think Trump, Fiorina, and Rubio, are going to take all the oxygen out of the room again.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Guys...

Remember the rubble?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Montasque posted:

Which is odd since he already has a zero tolerance stance on abortion... So what's the play by no-showing on this vote?

Allows him to avoid committing to the current leadership, while also letting him not cross them?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Nth Doctor posted:

Well obviously. No one reading this died.

The ending to My Pet Goat is thrilling.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jewel Repetition posted:

I have no idea. Looking forward to hearing the spin on it.

"My constituents elected me to represent their interests in Washington. Because Florida depends so heavily on government spending, I could not, in good conscience, vote to shut down the government. But also I could not, in good conscience, vote to fund planned parenthood either, because of their practice of harvesting baby parts for their satanic rituals. Therefore, I have courageously decided to stand up for integrity, and do nothing. Vote Rubio; Change you can just let happpen!"

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Milk Malk posted:

Not sure if a serious question, but IIRC that was the week he found the WMDs in Iraq

no, it was the week that he blew up the WTC, hth.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Looks like Carson hit paydirt on his islamaphobic constituents

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_NC_92915.pdf

Carson thinks that members of a death cult shouldn't be put into positions of power. Shocking.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

Carson thinks that members of a death cult shouldn't be put into positions of power. Shocking.

I agree, we shouldn't be electing Seventh Day Adventists. :v:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

"Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East. . . . The biblical prophecies are being fulfilled. . . . This confrontation is willed by God, who wants to use this conflict to erase his people's enemies before a New Age begins."

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Carrasco posted:

Not to be pedantic, but Carson doesn't have constituents. He never has, and I'll eat my hat if he ever does.

Dude could easily run for a House seat in a deep red district of his pick and represent them until he dies or gets bored

Heck even a Senate seat in a lot of states probably. Which makes me wonder why he didn't do something like that in the first place, but then again, I can guess the answer.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

Yes, time to interpret the no religious test of the Constitution properly. "Are you religious? Sorry."

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

You are wonderful.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

my bony fealty posted:

Which makes me wonder why he didn't do something like that in the first place, but then again, I can guess the answer.

Years as a FOX News darling made him think he can do anything?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 13 days!)

It's way better to be a respected neurosurgeon than the representative of some two-bit white trash voting district. Not just anybody gets to run for President though.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cronodoculous posted:

The whole "higher taxes for hedge fund managers" thing is so hilariously specific. Is his full tax plan going to include rate hikes for People That Kick Dogs, That Guy That Cut You Off In Traffic The Other Day, and The Actual Boogeyman too?

From pages ago, but hedge fund managers (and private equity-type partnerships) actually get quite concessionary tax treatment. Since what they get paid (called "carried interest") is considered an investment rather than a salary, they get to use the long-term capital gains rate on all their personal income. Trump is saying that they shouldn't get to pay a lower rate than their cleaners (or, for that matter, him) just because of the technicalities of the type of money they earn.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Not just anybody gets to run for President though.

'My name's Jim Gilmore and I approve this message.'

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Plinkey posted:

'My name's Jim Gilmore and I approve this message.'
Surprised me when I read he ponied up the $40,000 yesterday to be on the SC primary ballot. That means everyone made it, but it also means Jim probably wasted a bunch of donor money when he wrote that check. Although when your only campaign cost is a Cox Internet bill it's possible you can stretch a campaign out.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

NotJesus posted:

I'm not sure why, but this is funnier every time you make that dumb joke.

I agree and I'm pretty sure you're the first poster to realize that these posts are jokes instead of going "You're using Pie Charts??? you sure have some uh... cognitive... distance"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
this morning my rear end was feeling some real cognitive dissonance, i musthave slept on it wrong

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Peachstapler posted:

Surprised me when I read he ponied up the $40,000 yesterday to be on the SC primary ballot. That means everyone made it, but it also means Jim probably wasted a bunch of donor money when he wrote that check. Although when your only campaign cost is a Cox Internet bill it's possible you can stretch a campaign out.

Not everyone... Pataki still hasn't paid up.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Patter Song posted:

Not everyone... Pataki still hasn't paid up.
No mention of Mr. Pataki but I wouldn't be shocked if what you say is true.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
How many people think other religions should be outlawed? Simply asking the question could give a sense of reason to any answer.

Boosted_C5 posted:

This is what I have been waiting for. There is no excuse for the GOP not to steal away white blue collar Yankees from the party that espouses hate for and blames all of society's ills on white people.
What party's that? Sounds like fun

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

from a few pages ago, but nearly all climate scientist say that human caused global warming is occurring, that doesn't mean that they are right.

from a few pages ago, but i don't think we can let you off easily for saying such a :laffo:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
to be critical of things is a scientific way

the next step is to read and learn

if you don't critically question science, then you may think vaccinations lead to autism

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
More like primate scientists if Mister Darwin is to be believed

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Feral_Shofixti posted:

Years as a FOX News darling made him think he can do anything?

Nah being a congresscritter involves actual work from time to time, and going around telling old white people what they want to hear is his retirement plan.

Bralf
Jan 14, 2008
But it was only a couple of flipper babies!
Please enjoy: Why Donald Trump Should Run For King of Westeros

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Billionaire Lifts Marco Rubio, Politically and Personally

quote:

A detailed review of their relationship shows that Mr. Braman, 82, has left few corners of Mr. Rubio’s world untouched. He hired Mr. Rubio, then a Senate candidate, as a lawyer; employed his wife to advise the Braman family’s philanthropic foundation; helped cover the cost of Mr. Rubio’s salary as an instructor at a Miami college; and gave Mr. Rubio access to his private plane.

The money has flowed both ways. Mr. Rubio has steered taxpayer funds to Mr. Braman’s favored causes, successfully pushing for an $80 million state grant to finance a genomics center at a private university and securing $5 million for cancer research at a Miami institute for which Mr. Braman is a major donor.

Even in an era dominated by super-wealthy donors, Mr. Braman stands out, given how integral he has been not only to Mr. Rubio’s political aspirations but also to his personal finances.

Mr. Rubio quickly emerged as a dogged champion of Mr. Braman’s most cherished cause: state funding for a Miami cancer institute that bears the Braman family name.

Florida’s governor, Jeb Bush, had vetoed the funding in 2004, incurring Mr. Braman’s public fury. “Frankly, as a very active Republican, I’m ashamed of him,” Mr. Braman said then of Mr. Bush.

Mr. Rubio did not let it happen again. The next year, he secured the cancer funding over Mr. Bush’s objections. “Marco,” Mr. Bush wrote in a somewhat grudging email to a lobbyist at the time, “strongly wanted the Braman Cancer money.”

Soon, Mr. Rubio became a regular visitor to Mr. Braman’s office on Biscayne Boulevard. By the time Mr. Rubio was elected speaker of the House, the youngest in Florida’s history, Mr. Braman felt close enough to show up at the 2005 celebration in Tallahassee and deliver a memorable — and valuable — token of affection: a framed Revolutionary War-era American flag. It hung, on loan, in Mr. Rubio’s office for the entirety of his tenure as speaker.

In an interview, Mr. Rubio described Mr. Braman as a father figure who had given him advice on everything from what books to read to how to manage a staff. After Mr. Rubio’s father died in 2010, Mr. Braman called every other day to check in.

Pressed on his financial ties to Mr. Braman, Mr. Rubio said in an interview that he saw no ethical issue. “What is the conflict?” he asked. “I don’t ever recall Norman Braman ever asking for anything for himself.”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Haha that guy used to own the Eagles.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

euphronius posted:

And now he owns Marco Rubio.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
marco rubio is also a net loss

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

gently caress "the man in France" for letting Reggie White go to the Packers.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
quote =/= edit, damnit.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Go birds

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Suffolk/USAToday national poll:

Trump 23
Carson/Fiorina 13
Rubio 9
Bush 8
Cruz 6
Kasich/Huckabee/Paul 2
Christie/Jindal/Graham 1
Gilmore/Pataki/Santorum 0

I love how we've steadily watched Jeb go from consistently hitting first to second to third and now fifth and people still insist that his campaign has fine fundamentals that totally compensate for a lazy gaffe-prone candidate who is totally out of touch with his party's ideology and is openly despised by most of the primary electorate.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Patter Song posted:

I love how we've steadily watched Jeb go from consistently hitting first to second to third and now fifth and people still insist that his campaign has fine fundamentals that totally compensate for a lazy gaffe-prone candidate who is totally out of touch with his party's ideology and is openly despised by most of the primary electorate.

My feel on this is that people are making the safe bet with a history behind them that shows the same thing over and over again.

Me, I say past performance is not an indicator of future performance. :getin: There is nothing that's been typical about this season. Is it so far fetched, standing where we are now, that Trump could take this thing? Like, it's not over 50%, or even 40%, but it's still non-zero and double digits imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Patter Song posted:

Suffolk/USAToday national poll:

Trump 23
Carson/Fiorina 13
Rubio 9
Bush 8
Cruz 6
Kasich/Huckabee/Paul 2
Christie/Jindal/Graham 1
Gilmore/Pataki/Santorum 0

It sounds like someone needs to go look at Nate Silver's Endorsement scorecard again! Who cares if everyone hates Jeb! and nobody wants to vote for him? He has endorsements.

• Locked thread