Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm not seeing that in benchmarks, look at TPU's review of the 950, numbers for both the reference 950 and the MSI one are there and they tell a completely different story, for some examples:

This also neatly explains the yawning performance chasm between the GTX 960 and 970.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

This also neatly explains the yawning performance chasm between the GTX 960 and 970.

I'm starting to slip out of the loop for anything below a 970, where would a 380 roughly be in that graph? That really does seem like a big gap. I wish the 290/390 was in there as well

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'm starting to slip out of the loop for anything below a 970, where would a 380 roughly be in that graph? That really does seem like a big gap. I wish the 290/390 was in there as well

A 380 is a 285, so it's somewhere slower than a 280X and faster than a 270X.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Truga posted:

I'd never not recommend positive pressure, because you can very easily put filters on your fans and eliminate a whole load of dust, but you absolutely cannot put filters on *everything* because it'd be silly and probably also more expensive.

Plus if you want to go nuts, you can do some fun poo poo like rig up a duct between your heatsink and the exhaust, line the thing with sound absorbing foam and use the entire case to drive air through your heatsink while keeping the individual fan RPMs low.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

It's about the same gap as between the 380 and 390

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

The relative crappiness of the 960 is super overstated. The 960 and the 380 are basically identical in performance for the same price, leading to a basically identical gap between the 960-970 and 380-390.

Usual caveats apply for power draw and overclocking between AMD and Nvidia.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

xthetenth posted:

Plus if you want to go nuts, you can do some fun poo poo like rig up a duct between your heatsink and the exhaust, line the thing with sound absorbing foam and use the entire case to drive air through your heatsink while keeping the individual fan RPMs low.
Or you buy a Thermaltake G10 and simply stop worrying about thermals and airflow entirely. (I have one. It's huge. Also really, really quiet.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I was considering the silly thermaltake because I'd really like a compartmentalized setup but then went full retard and just bought a corsair 900D. It's stupidly large and weighs as much as my old 22" CRT, but I put in 11 fans and 2 huge rads and it's absolutely silent now while giving me dumb low temperatures at silly overclocks.

It cost me $400, but considering how much I threw away on cases every time I changed my gpu and it didn't fit anymore, I was OK with it. Of course, now with the HBM rage, gpus got small :arghfist: I just hope the ATX thing stays for the next 50 years so I don't have to drill new holes :v:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Truga posted:

I was considering the silly thermaltake because I'd really like a compartmentalized setup but then went full retard and just bought a corsair 900D. It's stupidly large and weighs as much as my old 22" CRT, but I put in 11 fans and 2 huge rads and it's absolutely silent now while giving me dumb low temperatures at silly overclocks.

It cost me $400, but considering how much I threw away on cases every time I changed my gpu and it didn't fit anymore, I was OK with it. Of course, now with the HBM rage, gpus got small :arghfist: I just hope the ATX thing stays for the next 50 years so I don't have to drill new holes :v:

How is the construction/sound dampening / air filtering in that case? I have a Silverstone FT-02 now, and was considering whether I might want to replace it when I get around to doing a new build, but I sorta feel like it's a really damned hard thing to one up the FT-02.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Gwaihir posted:

How is the construction/sound dampening / air filtering in that case? I have a Silverstone FT-02 now, and was considering whether I might want to replace it when I get around to doing a new build, but I sorta feel like it's a really damned hard thing to one up the FT-02.

You should probably look at the Phanteks Enthoo Primo/Luxe/Pro or the Fractal Design Define R5 if you want a midtower instead of a full tower.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You should probably look at the Phanteks Enthoo Primo/Luxe/Pro or the Fractal Design Define R5 if you want a midtower instead of a full tower.

The Nanoxia NDS-1 and other mid-towers deserve mention, I found the balance of acoustics and cooling better than Fractal R's (the 4 anyway). Can't go wrong with any of the above though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Primo is awesome (and probably the best case you can buy), but you can't really lump it into the "mid tower" category. It is an absolutely massive full tower. It is 650mm tall!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

The Nanoxia NDS-1 and other mid-towers deserve mention, I found the balance of acoustics and cooling better than Fractal R's (the 4 anyway).

That's the thing, among a bunch of other improvements the R5 has much better cooling than the R4 without giving up any of the acoustics.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

The Primo is awesome (and probably the best case you can buy), but you can't really lump it into the "mid tower" category. It is an absolutely massive full tower. It is 650mm tall!

Errr, I wasn't, I was saying that the R5 is a good option if you want a mid-tower instead of a full-tower.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's the thing, among a bunch of other improvements the R5 has much better cooling than the R4 without giving up any of the acoustics.

Ah, the R's have generally been pretty iterative, a bit surprised the 5 is a significant improvement to already very good cases. My biggest gripe was always the Fractal fans, they were noticeably louder than the Nanoxia at max speed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Gwaihir posted:

Don't forget to look at the Thermaltake Suppressor F51 - It's sound dampened but has a nice big 200mm front fan and 140mm rear fan. Thermaltake has been doing great stuff over the past year or two.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gwaihir posted:

The filtering is great and the filters are easily removed for dusting every couple months.

The sound damping is more or less non-existent (it's bad), but by far the loudest thing in my box currently is the disk whine (I have 3 platters still), and I have very quiet ones, so it's a non-issue. I can just barely hear it over the sounds from outside at night. It is a water cooler's case though. When I still had air cooled 6950s in it, it was definitely loud.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
It's goddamn fantastic there are options for cool, quiet, and understated cases these days. Enthusiast's suffered leaf blower fans and gay UFO aesthetics for too long.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Errr, I wasn't, I was saying that the R5 is a good option if you want a mid-tower instead of a full-tower.

Oh, I read it as "Phanteks Enthoo Primo/Luxe/Pro or R5" if you want a mid-tower. The lack of a comma made it hella ambiguous, my bad.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

Oh, I read it as "Phanteks Enthoo Primo/Luxe/Pro or R5" if you want a mid-tower. The lack of a comma made it hella ambiguous, my bad.

Oh yeah, rereading it and I can see how the wording is confusing, sorry about that.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I've recently built both Nanoxias and Fractal Rs. Go with the Fractals - they are far easier to put together, and come with good fans that are a good balance between quiet and performance.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I wish those open air frame cases weren't so expensive cause that's what i'd have no question. Seems like an insane markup
Just buy an inexpensive case where you can take all the panels off like the Thermaltake Core v21 and just leave all the panels off.

If you do get an open air case you get real paranoid about spilling stuff into it. Better have a shelf where you can keep it above you.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Modern cases are super cool.

However, I will say that crazy duct setup I talked about was putting my NH-D15 in an Enthoo Pro to shame. It's just that it's fiddly as heck and probably not worth the effort.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
After having my computer poo poo itself playing blood bowl again, I've been looking at different GPUs to upgrade to. Right now the GTX 970 is looking particularly appealing to me, although I do have some pretty important questions for the thread before I go and make an impulse buy.

1) Is the upgrade actually big enough to warrant such a purchase? Is there another video card I should be looking at? Right now i'm using a GTX 660 which has treated me right but seems to be freezing/stuttering on me on some more recent titles (although those might be a question of shoddy programming, but idk.)

2) How can I tell if my computer can upgrade to whatever card I want to buy? I've obviously never done anything like this before (aside from replacing the liquid cooling on a different pc 2 years ago), so I'm really eager to learn how this all comes together.

Thanks for any help guys.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

After having my computer poo poo itself playing blood bowl again, I've been looking at different GPUs to upgrade to. Right now the GTX 970 is looking particularly appealing to me, although I do have some pretty important questions for the thread before I go and make an impulse buy.

1) Is the upgrade actually big enough to warrant such a purchase? Is there another video card I should be looking at? Right now i'm using a GTX 660 which has treated me right but seems to be freezing/stuttering on me on some more recent titles (although those might be a question of shoddy programming, but idk.)

2) How can I tell if my computer can upgrade to whatever card I want to buy? I've obviously never done anything like this before (aside from replacing the liquid cooling on a different pc 2 years ago), so I'm really eager to learn how this all comes together.

Thanks for any help guys.

1. Yes. The 970 is well over twice as fast as the 660. I upgraded from the HD6970, which is about as fast as a 660, to a 970 a while back and the difference was staggering.

2. The main requirement is that your power supply can handle the new card. The 660 used one six pin auxiliary PCIe power connector, most 970s use two of those, some use a 6+8 pin set up. Also depending on the age, model & brand and wattage of your power supply you might want to replace that too since bad quality ones can damage other parts they are connected to when they die. Generally it's a good practice to replace the PSU when it goes outside of its warranty period.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMHO, check for deals. Where I live, a new sapphire 290x tri-x OC costs just $10 more than the cheapest 970 variant.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Amazing you can still find them for sale new

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Truga posted:

IMHO, check for deals. Where I live, a new sapphire 290x tri-x OC costs just $10 more than the cheapest 970 variant.

a day in electricity

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Don Lapre posted:

a day in electricity

Where do you live that electricity costs that much?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
lets be realistic, a month :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

a day in electricity

Yeah, but a MSI 970, which is what you'd want to buy, is $40 more, which is like 5 years in electricity.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Where do you live that electricity costs that much?

He's making a joke, 290x burns ~60W more than 970.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Truga posted:

Yeah, but a MSI 970, which is what you'd want to buy, is $40 more, which is like 5 years in electricity.

An MSI 970 will out perform a 290x by a good bit though once you overclock it. So it isn't just a matter of power savings. Buying a 290x is pretty stupid unless you can get it substantially cheaper.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

An MSI 970 will out perform a 290x by a good bit though once you overclock it. So it isn't just a matter of power savings. Buying a 290x is pretty stupid unless you can get it substantially cheaper.

The tri-x OC gets around 10% extra FPS by overclocking, so does the MSI 970 :shrug: and 40 euros is substantially cheaper.

Truga fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 30, 2015

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Truga posted:

That's like, what, one incandescent light bulb?

I wonder what produces more ambient heat, an aftermarket cooler 290X or and equal power draw of incandescent light bulbs...

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

a day in electricity

Roughly 200W power savings in LED bulbs.

Serious though, you want to save money by going for more efficient products, light bulbs and appliances are where it's at, not something you upgrade every few (or half in this thread's case) years.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Truga posted:

The tri-x OC gets around 10% extra FPS by overclocking, so does the MSI 970 :shrug: and 40 euros is substantially cheaper.

If you removed the name AMD and Nvidia from the cards and just had them as card A and B, would you still buy card B that performs almost identically to A except hotter, louder, and with older features for $10? Even if those differences were relatively minor?

40 euros is approaching substantially cheaper though.

Remember a year ago when people were buying 290's for $195 ? lol

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The 290 was one of the best cards I owned. For what I paid for all 3 of them, used them and then resold them, they were probably the best money I've ever spent on cards. Something tells me I'm not going to come out quite as well when it's time to sell my 980s.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Truga posted:

It's closer to 15-20% really, and even then the 970 outperforms the 290x at 1080p and 1440p. At 4K it's a different story, but you're not buying either of those cards for 4K gaming.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kazinsal posted:

That's like, what, one incandescent light bulb?

I wonder what produces more ambient heat, an aftermarket cooler 290X or and equal power draw of incandescent light bulbs...

Watts are watts are watts, the method of cooling on the graphics card doesn't change the fact that the heat happens, whether it's from a bulb or a chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

veedubfreak posted:

The 290 was one of the best cards I owned. For what I paid for all 3 of them, used them and then resold them, they were probably the best money I've ever spent on cards. Something tells me I'm not going to come out quite as well when it's time to sell my 980s.

Last time I had a card with as much staying power as the 780Ti was... the 680 I guess. But still, really enjoying that a card from 2013 is doing well heading into 2016 for my needs. The Witcher 3 got that patch a while back and since then I can run it on Ultra if I turn the nVidia Hair thing off, and that was the only game I was disappointed with before that performance-wise. It's definitely helped me still enjoy some games during a relatively tight period financially, there's no way I could have bought a 970/980, but I've still had more or less maxed graphics minus some recent features I guess. And it was late enough that it includes their hardware encoder which seems to help Steam streaming go smoothly?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 30, 2015