Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST
Welp the Opie cake stomp video is once again hitting the main stream. Plus the O&A subreddit is planning on Jocktobering the O&J show. The frothing anger they have for Opie is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yeah someone posted the cake stomp to reddit again and people are going bonkers about it. I love when something years old and played to death becomes a thing again.. it's actually really funny. (not the cake stomp, the fact that Opie looks like an rear end in a top hat for it yet again.)

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Maybe he'll make a hater guy video in response!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So many people on that reddit are convinced they can end the show with their memes.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy
This is the best Harry the Hater video to date, it's quite a bit :nws: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHLjaqnYco8

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

T Bowl posted:

Yeah someone posted the cake stomp to reddit again and people are going bonkers about it. I love when something years old and played to death becomes a thing again.. it's actually really funny. (not the cake stomp, the fact that Opie looks like an rear end in a top hat for it yet again.)

The cake stomp video was one of Opie's highlights, he shouldn't get in trouble for that, he should get in trouble for asking that Once guy to do a Johnny Cash cover song.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Goblin posted:

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ransom posted:

Welp the Opie cake stomp video is once again hitting the main stream.

Maybe some other opie videos are too, because I just saw a video from 2012 or 13--from when Opie smashed Sandy Kane's guitar--get taken down, too. It had a huge amount of dislikes and most comments from within the past 24 hours.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Ransom posted:

Welp the Opie cake stomp video is once again hitting the main stream. Plus the O&A subreddit is planning on Jocktobering the O&J show. The frothing anger they have for Opie is amazing.

I want to know when they're going to be doing this.

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

Keg posted:

I want to know when they're going to be doing this.

Pretty sure they will hit Oct. 1st and keep it going all month. They are weird obsessive reddit people.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ransom posted:

That was even funnier because he posted message on his website

quote:

Welcome members of Reddit!

If you're here about the cake stomp video but never listen to the show - you're just watching a video from 2007 that was part of the show for many years - every few years the video gets some fake outrage and climbs to the top of Reddit, then you guys feel like you want to make a difference by sending random spam email saying really clever stuff. I hope at this point you realize the error of your ways - this is like the Matrix, it keeps happening and happening! Thanks for listening!

But seriously, if you want to talk to Opie, call the show or send a tweet @OpieRadio

and took the day off so nobody could call.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Ransom posted:

Pretty sure they will hit Oct. 1st and keep it going all month. They are weird obsessive reddit people.

How's that going to work? Will some random Reddit asshat do a podcast format?

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

livingfruitvirus posted:

How's that going to work? Will some random Reddit asshat do a podcast format?

No its probably just going to be the attack through social media format. People might try calling the show. Who knows really.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Ransom posted:

No its probably just going to be the attack through social media format. People might try calling the show. Who knows really.

This is kinda desperate, douchy and weird.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Yet 0% surprising.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Ransom posted:

People did call the show this morning with a reverse Jocktober angle. It was the lamest, most pathetic thing I ever heard and it cratered pretty hard. I'm assuming more people will try to call in.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I agree with what someone posted on reddit: this is the exact fan base they wanted to create and now the show has become one of those lovely morning shows that old O&A would call on to take this type of abuse.

The problem is instead of a new flavor of the week to target they just have Opie and they think that somehow their thousands of YouTube views will derail a multi-million dollar show.

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

That is the best description of the O&A subreddit I've ever seen.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Dave posted:

I agree with what someone posted on reddit: this is the exact fan base they wanted to create and now the show has become one of those lovely morning shows that old O&A would call on to take this type of abuse.

The problem is instead of a new flavor of the week to target they just have Opie and they think that somehow their thousands of YouTube views will derail a multi-million dollar show.
Opie obviously wanted to take it this direction years ago with all his "I'M A FATHER NOW" bullshit, it just wasn't obvious to me he would complete it as soon as he wasn't outvoted two to one. Unfortunately then Anthony went off the rails the other direction and we're left with Bennington.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

The Dave posted:

It's true. If you're anyone that hasn't listened to the show in a while, you should give it a try. It's hard to adequately describe how horrible it is. It's everything that was bad about Opie and Jim individually but exaggerated to the point of caricature and combined with the inexplicable presence of the Stangels. Seek to any random point in any recent episode and I guarantee you'll cringe almost immediately.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
It's sad cause Sam was better at that point on the show and kept it less poo poo after Anthony was fired. Now he's got his own show and I would sadly rate it as more competent and enjoyable and it's one loving guy most of the time. The comedians coming in is the only redeeming quality at this point and I really don't like about half the ones they bring in, to put it in perspective.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
TL:DR of the Opie show: It's even more lazy, less funny, and less interesting than O&A had become when that version ended.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

My favorite part of the new show is when there is a guest in and Norton or the Guest talks about an experience or something and Opie interupts and blurts out "OH MY GOD YOU'RE BRINGING UP THESE MEMORIES"

You can tell he's so obviously lying and trying to fit in and relate to the story. He wants to be believed that he is also cool and had these great experiences but you can just tell the way he says it he's looking for that "Me too right, guys?!" acceptance

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

For someone who claims to "Have been in radio since I was 18" you would think at least out of the 35 or so years there would be a time he was at least good at it.

I always thought after the split they'd get back together after 2 years but it's so much more evident now than ever that Jim and Anthony were the ones who carried the show to success with the occasional snippet of Opie saying or doing something funny bi-monthly.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

For someone who claims to "Have been in radio since I was 18" you would think at least out of the 35 or so years there would be a time he was at least good at it.

I always thought after the split they'd get back together after 2 years but it's so much more evident now than ever that Jim and Anthony were the ones who carried the show to success with the occasional snippet of Opie saying or doing something funny bi-monthly.

He always tries to refute that claim with "I was the facilitator of the show, I moved it along, kept it professional, handled negotiations". Which is Opie code for: "I road the coat tails of these other funny guys and knew they had something I could exploit and ride the wave. I'll just do what any loving moron in radio can do like reset interviews and come back from break! Also, I let my lawyer do the money talk and was most influential in our contracts."

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

T Bowl posted:

He always tries to refute that claim with "I was the facilitator of the show, I moved it along, kept it professional, handled negotiations". Which is Opie code for: "I road the coat tails of these other funny guys and knew they had something I could exploit and ride the wave. I'll just do what any loving moron in radio can do like reset interviews and come back from break! Also, I let my lawyer do the money talk and was most influential in our contracts."
Considering how little risk anyone in radio was willing to take back then, just being the facilitator and being the one to take a chance was actually a great accomplishment. It just doesn't translate into being able to make a good show by yourself, especially when you suddenly get a weird OCD about making the show "different" somehow. Listeners were practically begging them to do Jocktober again anyway and Opie was like "noope nooope that's an O&A thing ahyuck wouldn't be right noope noope gotta show respect". Lo and behold his stupid experiment isn't working out and now he's scrambling to put anyone else on the channel that he can, after years of claiming that Sirius wouldn't let him do poo poo and dangling a fake "golden ticket" at people. It's too bad that Anthony is too much of a drunkard to even remember what happened and Jim is too enabling, so we'll never get a real account.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Since I feel like "hating" on Opie right now, here's a bit I re-listened to last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYWn55bMKlc

Listen to how completely clueless Opie is. Listen to his Black Voice. Listen to how he picks only completely unremarkable unfunny comments and then cannot successfully read them.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Goblin posted:

Is there a version of this without Anthony on the side?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

T Bowl posted:

If Ant was being truthful during their human garbage fight, he wasn't even good at negotiations or contracts. He'd leave Ant, Jim and the whole staff in the dark about his intentions, wait until the last minute before a contract would expire and then sign a new deal that wasn't difficult to get.

The redditors who dwell on it every single day need to let go, but it sounds like Opie hasn't been honest with himself or the audience at all. A funny video of one of the hosts sucking a cock would've been brought up on the show for weeks 5 years ago. Now they pretend online communities do not exist.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Anyone else having a hard time NOT listening to the Nopie series Chris Davis has posted? It's every, or most of them anyway, instance of the show where Opie was out. God is Ant + Jimmy a good combination. Also, 99% of the time Ant just loving forgets to go to callers because they're on such a roll. The callers are such a retarded part of the show, and it pisses me off every time Opie steps on a good bit to go to them.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Nopie episodes are fantastic. Also a definite proof that any argument for Opie's "ship steering" is nonsense.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

jerkstoresup posted:

If Ant was being truthful during their human garbage fight, he wasn't even good at negotiations or contracts. He'd leave Ant, Jim and the whole staff in the dark about his intentions, wait until the last minute before a contract would expire and then sign a new deal that wasn't difficult to get.
Well, Anthony didn't want to deal with anyone in the way of going home to drink, and Jim didn't have his name on the show, so basically that gives Opie free reign. Anthony might claim he wanted to be involved at some point but he sure was all about noping out as soon as possible in the later years.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

Anyone else having a hard time NOT listening to the Nopie series Chris Davis has posted? It's every, or most of them anyway, instance of the show where Opie was out. God is Ant + Jimmy a good combination. Also, 99% of the time Ant just loving forgets to go to callers because they're on such a roll. The callers are such a retarded part of the show, and it pisses me off every time Opie steps on a good bit to go to them.

the Nopie series is truly great, but turn to poo poo towards the end where Ant has clearly gone off the deep end in regards to Treyvon Martin and those people in general. there's still a good 40+ shows before hitting that point though

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Uh oh, just published

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/opie-homeless-man-cake-smash-72302

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

CrashCat posted:

Well, Anthony didn't want to deal with anyone in the way of going home to drink, and Jim didn't have his name on the show, so basically that gives Opie free reign. Anthony might claim he wanted to be involved at some point but he sure was all about noping out as soon as possible in the later years.

It sounded to me like Opie always had full control over contracts. If that was the case, which I might be wrong about, then it wouldn't matter whether or not Ant gave a gently caress. He was at the whim of Opie.

Either way, Ant's lack of giving a gently caress is absolutely what got him fired and killed the show. Opie sucking was a fact even during the best of times, so I don't see why Reddit needs to rub his nose in it. Though it is entertaining to watch unfold.

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

An Enormous Boner posted:

Since I feel like "hating" on Opie right now, here's a bit I re-listened to last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYWn55bMKlc

Listen to how completely clueless Opie is. Listen to his Black Voice. Listen to how he picks only completely unremarkable unfunny comments and then cannot successfully read them.

Wow, Opie is absolutely terrible in this. Even Tom Papa is somewhat listenable in that clip.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Apoplexy posted:

I listened to a good few of these and the no phones was definitely a deliberate thing, he explicitly says several times that the callers add absolutely nothing (then going to a couple of callers just to prove his point).

Also I can appreciate the shows probably worked better in the normal flow of things rather than back-to-back because they did seem to cover the same ground a lot of times (mostly Ant's go-to topics of old TV, toys). I might be wrong, but I seem to remember a good 20 mins of gun and/or race talk in every single show too, even the early ones.

What I did really enjoy about them was the increased staff interaction, hearing a bit more Erock & Travis chiming in was pretty good - not so much more Danny. Also Jimmy's explanation of the horrible disease Opie had that prevented him coming to work.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

What's everyone's opinion on the Stangel's? Do they actually do anything for the show or are they there to just there to be voices and "friends" of Opie

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

What's everyone's opinion on the Stangel's? Do they actually do anything for the show or are they there to just there to be voices and "friends" of Opie
They basically make it sound more like a morning zoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

CrashCat posted:

They basically make it sound more like a morning zoo.

They don't seem to add much. Pete Davidson's constant making GBS threads on one of them is the only thing that I've enjoyed.

• Locked thread