Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Derek Smart shows no fear when criticising video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I would be pretty scared

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Tarranon posted:

oh sure, a good product by a Japanese company is weabooish, just like the Sony PlayStation 4, which I bet you don't have, opting for the Microsoft Xbox One even though it has the wrong kind of RAM :rolleyes:

fly away troll

Begun, the console bores, has.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
God bless Derek Smart.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
That OP was very good and it's nice to see that Star Citizen continues being an endless source of drama and entertainment. God Bless Derek Smart. :patriot:

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Incombibulator posted:

Begun, the console bores, has.

All's quiet on the Xbox front.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
You all laughed, but my suggestion that CIG license a bunch of indie games to use for all those sub-modules isn't sounding so crazy now, is it? "Cook, Serve, Delicious", "Farm Simulator", "Viscera Cleanup Detail", "Surgeon Simulator", and a few others would cover pretty much all the bullshit nonsense they've promised. Hell, license "Hatoful Boyfriend" and you've added an alien race for almost zero production cost!

In other news / VR News, the panelists at a PAX Prime VR panel agreed that the "move around the room" feature of the Vive is cool, but that both headsets will be able to handle that functionality just fine, and that the Vive and the Rift should both work equally well in the "sitting on your rear end at your Cheetos-stained desk" configuration. In fact, they felt that since most people play games sitting at their desks, that's going to be the default assumption by developers of VR games, and that most titles will support us being lazy and not having to stand up.

I'm personally leaning toward the Vive, since 99% of the games I play are on Steam and I don't trust Facebook to not "monetize" the Rift until it's annoying and intrusive. On the other hand, Facebook has a LOT of money to spend to make things exclusive, which is one way to win that sort of battle. Either way, they should both run fine on my GTX 560, right? No need to upgrade, right? :downs:

EDIT: I'm a little surprised my video card hasn't caught on fire yet. I almost feel bad for what I've been forcing it to run lately. :ohdear:

Goredema fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 1, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

quote:

Yes, this is the part where you start wondering if you all got p0wned. The answer would be yes. Yes of course.

:boom:
:rip:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I smile every time I realize some true believer was upset enough to buy me this AV/title for making GBS threads all over SC and the ridiculous sales pitch.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Shala posted:

I do own an Xbone and no PS4.

Checkmate, overly serious guy.

where do you post that what i wrote isn't clearly a joke

*looks at forum*

oh

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

-snip-

" I've since written five blogs. And I'm going to write one every two weeks or so"

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Goredema posted:

You all laughed, but my suggestion that CIG license a bunch of indie games to use for all those sub-modules isn't sounding so crazy now, is it? "Cook, Serve, Delicious", "Farm Simulator", "Viscera Cleanup Detail", "Surgeon Simulator", and a few others would cover pretty much all the bullshit nonsense they've promised. Hell, license "Hatoful Boyfriend" and you've added an alien race for almost zero production cost!

Add "rinse and repeat" to that list

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shala posted:

I do own an Xbone and no PS4.

Checkmate, overly serious guy.

That's quite a console collection you have there I like your style

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I submitted my request for a refund yesterday, let's see how it goes!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kimsemus posted:

I submitted my request for a refund yesterday, let's see how it goes!

Fingers crossed!

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

quote:

This Star Citizen game is FUBAR. And when it collapses - as it will - we will all find something else to fight about because we will all remember that you were warned to get the hell off my goddamn lawn.
That is all.

You tell 'em Derek.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Sappo569 posted:

" I've since written five blogs. And I'm going to write one every two weeks or so"

you know none of them got the joke, but goddamn he delivers.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Nicholas posted:

Add "Rinse and Repeat" to that list

:eyepop:
:eek:
:heysexy:

If you all were wondering what the "killer app" will be for VR, THIS IS IT.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What are the odds that Chris Robert's movie level cast is literally the cast of Firefly?

That would certainly be topper leveller tier actors that what I think they're going for. So yay-ish?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Thats like almost 2 months of blogs, dude be blogging hard

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Let's talk about UK legislation. Specifically the Companies Act 2006.

It is now the 1st of October 2015 in the UK and that means that Roberts Space Industries International Ltd is now in breach of UK law by failing to file its accounts with Companies House. It joins its parent company, Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd in this regard (missed their deadline 18 days ago). Foundry 42 Ltd failed to file their accounts a little over three months ago and as such have reached stage 3 of the 4 stage financial penalty. The final stage is after six months.

Additionally it is the directors of a company that are legally responsible for ensuring that the accounts are filed on time. Therefore Christopher Roberts, Erin David Roberts, and Ortwin Sam Freyermuth are breaking UK law multiple times by failing to do so for each of the three companies.

What does this mean in practical terms? Initially for the companies, not too much. A company incurs a penalty of £150 for late filing. At one month this is £375, three months is £750 and after six months it is £1,500.

That covers the companies but what about directors themselves? My own words felt inadequate here so I looked up quotes to avoid any ambiguity (their emphasis, not mine).

www.gov.uk posted:

Failure to deliver accounts on time is a criminal offence.

Failure to deliver documents is a criminal offence. All the directors of the company risk prosecution. On conviction, a director could end up with a criminal record and a potentially unlimited fine for each offence. This is separate from the civil penalty imposed on the company for late filing of accounts.

I'm not sure I really need to add anything else. Perhaps... this is a good sign for Star Citizen. It shows that the directors are so focussed on making the computer game that they have complete disregard for the law?

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

That's quite a console collection you have there I like your style

Thanks, I like to be on the cutting edge of console video game hardware.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Okay I know we all like to point and laugh at Derek Smart and mostly I stay out of that because mocking the mentally ill doesn't really sit right with me.

But seriously, what is this BS about "Collective Surrender?" Like, he keeps offering it as though there were some kind of unified front against him instead of a bunch of people who are too invested in a video game. What would collective surrender even look like? What possible action could they take that would satisfy his need for self-aggrandizement? It's like smacking your dog and yelling "I GAVE YOU A loving CHANCE WHY DID YOU poo poo ON THE RUG AGAIN." It's a dog, it can't understand you!

In this metaphor, the rug is Star Citizen.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Oh boy. What happened here?

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
Basically I see DSmizzle as having the same mentality one of those people who were wayyyyyyyy to invested in one side of GamerGate or the other. They both acted like they were talking to anyone in particular, rather than screaming into the void of the internet, and assumed they had some army at their behest.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

shrach posted:

Let's talk about UK legislation. Specifically the Companies Act 2006.

It is now the 1st of October 2015 in the UK and that means that Roberts Space Industries International Ltd is now in breach of UK law by failing to file its accounts with Companies House. It joins its parent company, Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd in this regard (missed their deadline 18 days ago). Foundry 42 Ltd failed to file their accounts a little over three months ago and as such have reached stage 3 of the 4 stage financial penalty. The final stage is after six months.

Additionally it is the directors of a company that are legally responsible for ensuring that the accounts are filed on time. Therefore Christopher Roberts, Erin David Roberts, and Ortwin Sam Freyermuth are breaking UK law multiple times by failing to do so for each of the three companies.

What does this mean in practical terms? Initially for the companies, not too much. A company incurs a penalty of £150 for late filing. At one month this is £375, three months is £750 and after six months it is £1,500.

That covers the companies but what about directors themselves? My own words felt inadequate here so I looked up quotes to avoid any ambiguity (their emphasis, not mine).

I'm not sure I really need to add anything else. Perhaps... this is a good sign for Star Citizen. It shows that the directors are so focussed on making the computer game that they have complete disregard for the law?

Wasn't the quoted reason why there would be no chairman videos for a while that croberts was going to the UK? I wonder if this would be the best time to do so. :D

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shala posted:

Thanks, I like to be on the cutting edge of console video game hardware.

Same here although I only have a Wii U and a PS3 as well as a 3DS and a Vita and a PC and some other gaming related things, I'm pretty behind the times in a lot of ways but you know, it's fun to game on whatever system you have around. You just have to relax and have fun and not sweat about who's got what console, it's easy to get into a situation where you are 'keeping up with the jones' and that's no good for anyone who's on lifes scrapheap like me with no prospects and gently caress all to live for anyway.
Just have fun, it's good.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Shala posted:

Basically I see DSmizzle as having the same mentality one of those people who were wayyyyyyyy to invested in one side of GamerGate or the other. They both acted like they were talking to anyone in particular, rather than screaming into the void of the internet, and assumed they had some army at their behest.

That is a good point and goes some way towards explaining the behavior.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Shala posted:

VVV Derek's self-confidence comes from being a time traveler VVV

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 1, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
How is that quote from a thousand years into the future?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dead Like Rev posted:

Got approved for refund this morning, hit my paypal like an hour ago, and moving from paypal to my bank now! I'm out!

hi5

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

nerds literally never learn

edit: oh harebrained schemes are the Shadowrun Returns guys. I have faith they will at least produce a game, then

Harebrained Schemes as a company should never be mentioned in this thread. They just didn't just produce Shadowrun Returns through crowdfunding, but it's two sequels and Golem Arcana were all Kickstarted, developed, and released.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
So was the Endeavor sale a relative dud? Or did it keep hope alive for cashflow?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So how did games get made in the 80s and such when there was no crowd funding or DLC?
It's all hosed up imo, Outrun was made and released without even the need for a single patch, that's coding in my book, good, honest coding.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there a summary for what happened whit this game ? I wanna laugh to .

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

So how did games get made in the 80s and such when there was no crowd funding or DLC?
It's all hosed up imo, Outrun was made and released without even the need for a single patch, that's coding in my book, good, honest coding.

Outrun has a glitch where the instrument timing loses sync, which just ruins everything and makes it an unplayable piece of poo poo which wouldn't have happened with $90 million dollars and at least four different studios spanning the globe working on it. You're also wrong, on the internet, and you should feel terrible.

Seriously though, Yu Suzuki and AM2 were loving magic.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

BurnBlackJay posted:

Is there a summary for what happened whit this game ? I wanna laugh to .

Expanding on this is there a serious but short wall of text explaining what the game is supposed to be about? I still have no clue.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Outrun has a glitch where the instrument timing loses sync, which just ruins everything and makes it an unplayable piece of poo poo which wouldn't have happened with $90 million dollars and at least four different studios spanning the globe working on it. You're also wrong, on the internet, and you should feel terrible.

Seriously though, Yu Suzuki and AM2 were loving magic.

I don't know what to think as you seem to be arguing with yourself, do you like Outrun or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I don't know what to think as you seem to be arguing with yourself, do you like Outrun or not?

Outrun raised me better than my parents, so God yes. Only double parkers, furries, and pedophiles don't like Outrun.

• Locked thread