Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I hope some enterprising young internet copy editor uses STAR CITISN'T as the headline for the inevitable post-collapse tell-all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Innerguard posted:

Yes, it is true. I have also submitted a refund request, I'm not trusting dodgy reddit people and trying to do grey market stuff doesn't strike me right.

*fart*

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Promatoast posted:

Anyone willing to share specifics with regards to why they've become disillusioned with the game? I thought the general consensus among backers was positive. In fact I was planning to jump in myself after seeing - at least what I thought to be - the game taking form.

star citizen isn't real

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's going on, what's supposed to happen, the consequences of it not happening, and if there is a good reason it wouldn't be happening.

I can ask that no problem, he'll give me good answers and there's more to this stuff than just what you see online, I've been late in the past with stuff and he's been chill about it because he gets to talk to these people and sort poo poo out.

I've put my Companies House stuff in way before my returns before now and it's not been an issue for example.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Seems like CIG didn't tick off a single thing on this to do list.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2e2vk5/keeping_em_honest_take_ii_a_breakdown_of_claims

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
someone stepping into a religious institution for the first time in their life would be less confused by all the ritual and beliefs than someone with normal brains being introduced to the concept and success of star citizens funding campaign

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Promatoast posted:

Anyone willing to share specifics with regards to why they've become disillusioned with the game? I thought the general consensus among backers was positive.

I got out early in 2014 because I thought that the feature creep is unrealistic. I really want the game to succeed since I love to pew-pew stuff in space, but the most I can imagine will be a Planetside 2 style space shooter. I have a really hard time to believe that all the appraised features like exploration, mining, piracy, research, bounty-hunting, salvaging, marine combat and plenty of other stuff will come together in a living, breathing universe. Take the latest concept, the Endeavor, for example: a research vessel with giant biodomes to do what exactly ? Do they realize that they need a ton of rules, game mechanics and meta to make a research career in a persistent mmo viable ? (the only game that ever pulled that off was early SWG, and that mmo was a unique, crazy diamond)

The other part that really frustrated me was the brown sea. It was especially bad around that time and pubbies were asking about stuff like "Can we have a rape system, when we board ships..." and I literally got sick of this poo poo and wanted nothing to do with that community for a time. Sold my ships at market price to a goon and only kept a Reliant.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 1, 2015

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
body and blood of Christ? Sure why not, now what the heck is this about 1300 dollar jpegs??

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

I can ask that no problem, he'll give me good answers and there's more to this stuff than just what you see online, I've been late in the past with stuff and he's been chill about it because he gets to talk to these people and sort poo poo out.

I've put my Companies House stuff in way before my returns before now and it's not been an issue for example.

Cool, it's weird knowing all the twists and turns this effort takes but it's all very fascinating.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Sir Gabriel, can you ask him how often directors of businesses get prosecuted by the gov't for missing the deadline?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

RuckusRouser posted:

Sir Gabriel, can you ask him how often directors of businesses get prosecuted by the gov't for missing the deadline?

I can ask for sure yeah

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

peter gabriel posted:

These account filings -- apparently you can pay a small fee (1 GBP) and see an entity's filing status, but can you see the account disclosure amounts themselves? Stated differently: if and when CIG files, will we see their cash reserve? (I'm betting a no here as they may just horde the cash in a non-UK corp, but hey).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Congrats on gold, thread. You all are doing fine, keep at it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Cool, it's weird knowing all the twists and turns this effort takes but it's all very fascinating.

No worries, I promise to ask him

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

lol

hey, do you know darkpriest by any chance?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Potato Salad posted:

These account filings -- apparently you can pay a small fee (1 GBP) and see an entity's filing status, but can you see the account disclosure amounts themselves? Stated differently: if and when CIG files, will we see their cash reserve? (I'm betting a no here as they may just horde the cash in a non-UK corp, but hey).

I do know my dude can log into some sort of accountants thing where he sees all kinds of poo poo, I don't anything more than that about it though.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I personally think CIG is not breaking any laws, just yet. Perhaps we're splitting hairs a bit too often.

BUT, considering the TOS I accepted means Nov 2015 should be their delivery date. I haven't accepted another TOS from them since, then if undelivered, they would have broken their own TOS.

Amirite?

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

All this business speak boils down to "We're trying to see their cash reserves." righ.....ohhhhhhh shiiiiiiiit

Innerguard posted:

Yes, it is true. I have also submitted a refund request, I'm not trusting dodgy reddit people and trying to do grey market stuff doesn't strike me right.

:eyepop:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Innerguard posted:

you could get like 10 hours of actual aircraft instruction time for that money, man

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

like thats what i dont get about these high levels of money, people could be doing actual fuckin flying for that sort of dosh

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Innerguard posted:

Do you have an idris m or scythe?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

KakerMix posted:

quote:

RSI Email posted:

The Endeavor is being offered for the first time as a limited concept sale. This means that the ship design meets our specifications, but it is not yet ready to display in your Hangar or to fight in Arena Commander. The sale includes Lifetime Insurance on the ship hull and a pair of decorative items for your Hangar. A future patch will add an Endeavor poster and then once the in-game model is finished you will also be given an in-game Endeavor mini ship model! In the future, the ship price will increase and the offer will not include Life Time Insurance or these extras.
lmao

because 900 dollars isnt expensive enough

Promatoast posted:

Anyone willing to share specifics with regards to why they've become disillusioned with the game? I thought the general consensus among backers was positive. In fact I was planning to jump in myself after seeing - at least what I thought to be - the game taking form.

yea jump in

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

PITT posted:

The Next Great Shitposter, a challenger approaches.

hahaha...

:prepop:

Oh, I just got a new email, let me see who its fr... :kiddo:

:wink:

:wmwink:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:ughh:

No... no thanks, I'm good. Just gonna delete this email account now...

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Zeike posted:

lol

hey, do you know darkpriest by any chance?

I don't besides seeing his fedora posts in the thread. I just used the title because I think it is an injustice the singer/songwriter has not been knighted yet.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Do you have an idris m or scythe?

No, not at all. I was enthusiastic about it from way back in the beginning, was relatively flush and so put down money for the theoretical space ships shooty game but as time has gone on, I've gotten more and more upset with the lack of progress and unsettling murmurings coming from various places.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'd like to humbly request that the Escapist article or an article like it be added to the op so that people who haven't been keeping up can have some idea of what's going on. People have been asking every couple of pages for a summary and it's good if we don't ignore them and also good if we don't have to keep repeating it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

i like how some of the completed items are completely pointless or dont really matter at all.
  • Start with 500 additional credits.
  • Build their own mocap studio
  • Move Wingman out of the basement (bigger facility)
  • Build professional sound studio
  • Enhanced Alpha
  • Towel
  • 1000 Additional Credits
  • UEC purchasable with real money
  • Magnetic boots

then you get to the work in progress list and its like 70 Star Systems listed as a single line

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Promatoast posted:

I would not back this game just yet. At the very least I would wait until CitCon so they can provide whatever big reveal will impress everybody.

The easiest answer for many (including myself) is that CIG fails to deliver on the expectations that they themselves have set. After three years and $90 million raised all we have to show for their effort is a terrible starship fighting tech demo that hasn't shown any considerable improvement in months and more recently a large cyberpunk-ish level that you can walk around with other players all wearing the same future milspec tacticool armor. The only consistent thing we have seen from CIG is starship sales. The concept of Star Citizen itself, the product we're actually getting, is amorphous and constantly changing in scope. We've gone from Privateer 2015 to some monstrous amalgamation of space sim, FPS, and mini-games that include such diverse options as farming and drink serving on space liners. Communication has largely been amateurish and terrible, with vast amounts of time wasted on superfluous things and little actual game information provided beyond statements of "early days" by the chairman.

There are basically two types of backers. The first are the silent majority, the guys who dropped $35 or whatever on a package and are waiting to play what they paid for. The second are the folks who actually pay attention to development. These folks fall on a spectrum. To one extreme are the diehard fans who can justify anything CIG does and see nothing wrong. These are the ones who express excitement at a concept starship "only" being $350 because the numbers say it's bigger than the other concept starships. The other side of the spectrum are the realists, people who are getting cynical about the progress of this game and the likelihood of its success. Those are the ones looking for a refund.

RuckusRouser posted:

Consider this: in the past 3 years they have reached one, maybe two, out of all the many release deadlines they set by themselves.

Technically they've hit only one; the social module was released on time last month. You could make an argument that the hangar was close (it was delayed by a few days), but I like being pedantic.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Innerguard posted:

No, not at all. I was enthusiastic about it from way back in the beginning, was relatively flush and so put down money for the theoretical space ships shooty game but as time has gone on, I've gotten more and more upset with the lack of progress and unsettling murmurings coming from various places.

No he's saying if you did have an Idris you could unload it for at least 3x more than you paid.

(Cue broccoli cat linking his Idris sale victory.jpg)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm almost eager to see what sort of movie CIG creates because it's almost guaranteed to be Ed Wood-tier awful.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There's a Star Man waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us with a jpeg we can buy

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
I'm just gonna... leave this here.

http://splicetube.com/smashtv.html?v=yisaDxvBH9s&hit=11

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

peter gabriel posted:

There's a Star Man waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us with a jpeg we can buy

had to phone someone so I picked on you
hey that's far out, you got an idris too?
no I'm not doing anything this weekend how bout you?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Still no refund :smith:

I deserve this :smith:

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
So all we have to go on is that Derek Smart fellow who absolutely sounds like a cretinous failure?

I haven't put a single cent into Star Citizen but maybe...just maybe...this new hysteria away from the game is equivalent to the nerdy over-enthusiasm of all the backers?

It seems to be the same people who contributed a lot early on and bought ships who are now bailing and making a big fuss.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

starry skies above posted:

So all we have to go on is that Derek Smart fellow who absolutely sounds like a cretinous failure?

I haven't put a single cent into Star Citizen but maybe...just maybe...this new hysteria away from the game is equivalent to the nerdy over-enthusiasm of all the backers?

It seems to be the same people who contributed a lot early on and bought ships who are now bailing and making a big fuss.
Basically yes. When the brown sea catches on fire it is going to be HUGE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Cq7hUMPng

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

starry skies above posted:

We have failure to deliver after failure to deliver after failure to deliver. The core functionality of the game -- space ships flying around in space -- is a glitchy, messy experience with a handful of absolutely minimal updates over the course of a year and a half.

Derek Smart is an interesting creature. His lawsuit talk is absolute bullshit, but the actual content of some of his recent ravings have actually been correct. He's called shots multiple times now before CIG's announced them. He's insane, but someone (edit: probably many people) may well be giving him good data.

He's not some Edward Snowden of CIG -- he's more their Julian Assange: an unsufferable, backstabbing rear end in a top hat who happens to have been leaked data in near-realtime several times in the last few months. A hero, but an rear end in a top hat as well. Christ, he posted accurate information about the most recent string of layoffs -- including the iffy one people were running around saying was unsubstantiated regarding the producer who put in two weeks notice after the first two firings last week -- before the end of the workday in California. All has been backed up by CIG itself after the fact. The explosion on Reddit regarding Derek Smart recently? That's a sudden, small, yet important fraction of the /r/starcitizen Redditors reading between the lines and realizing the only way Derek Smart could have posted what he did when he did so would be if he was being told directly.

CIG employees are telling Derek Smart stuff.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 1, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Innerguard posted:

List what you have in your hanger friend

I'll buy the account from you And turn around and re-sell it for double or triple

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Potato Salad posted:

Yes, a balance sheet is filed no matter what. Depending on the level of activity in the company you may also get a profit and loss. You can view what they file for free using the beta section of Companies House.

Bear in mind which companies these are though. RSI Ltd and CIG Ltd are the uk companies and these accounts would cover the period to 31 December 2014. Since they did not start charging VAT until February 2015, these companies are quite possibly dormant as no sales could have passed through them during this period. It's hard to imagine what these two companies did do during this period. It also makes it all the more unacceptable that they have not been filed on time.

Foundry 42 Ltd meanwhile would likely only have received sales in respect of invoices relating to stage payments of some larger contract with one of the American companies. You would expect the accounts of Foundry 42 to look like any other computer game developer's company at the very least. You can look up the accounts for any of the companies on this page for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_companies_in_the_United_Kingdom

The hardest part you will find looking up a company from there is one that was small enough to not have performed an audit. I suggest Firefly Studios Ltd which will give you an idea of the bare minimum. This should link directly to their accounts and give an idea of the minimum to expect https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03756547/filing-history/MzEzMDY2MTAwNGFkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Raskolnikov posted:

Still no refund :smith:

I deserve this :smith:

How offensive was your e-mail to them?

• Locked thread