Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I hate that the new spaces in mission control don't show the preview until you mouseover, is there a way to show it all the time like in every other version of mission control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They do that if you go to mission control from a full screen window, just not if you're coming from the desktop.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
After the update, I have regained about 20 GB of space (on my 128 GB MBA). Maybe it's just the reboot, I don't reboot often, but - really? What had been using up these 20 GB?

Also, all animations are ridiculously fast.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
In case nobody has wandered into Safari settings yet, ElCap lets you enable command+number tab switching.

I am a happy, happy man.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cingulate posted:

After the update, I have regained about 20 GB of space (on my 128 GB MBA). Maybe it's just the reboot, I don't reboot often, but - really? What had been using up these 20 GB?

Leopard to Snow Leopard did something similar as well, but that was right around when they dumped Rosetta.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

Wha-what? How could a 2014 rMBP possibly be sluggish? It's not even close to out of date. My Early 2011 MBP is still rolling along just fine and snappy!

A good number of nerds on the internet, myself included, believed that they provided underpowered graphics hardware to run the retina display on the 13" rMBP. My machine was noticeably sluggish when transitioning between spaces, opening mission control, etc. When I say sluggish I don't mean you could watch the windows render or anything gory like that. I mean things like the animations weren't smooth at all, it felt like it was actively trying to keep up computing the transformation effect on each redraw. This was after a fresh install of 10.10 as well so I doubt any software corruption would have affected the system.

It's basically been an internet debate on whether or not they underpowered the graphics tech in the 2014 13" rMBP or not, but a lot of us share the opinion that until now it was either underpowered or underutilized.

And remember that the 13" rMBP only uses intel on-board graphics, it doesn't have a discrete GPU.

Also I started the install of ElCap on my iMac last night and left the office since it was hanging on the "30 minutes" for an hour or so, figured I'd finish this morning. Come in today and it finished, but I was a little bummed to see that the screen didn't blank and now I've got the T&C page burned into my iMac display. It's slowly dissipating but I can still see some remnants and it's driving me nuts :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 1, 2015

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Martytoof posted:

A good number of nerds on the internet, myself included, believed that they provided underpowered graphics hardware to run the retina display on the 13" rMBP. My machine was noticeably sluggish when transitioning between spaces, opening mission control, etc. When I say sluggish I don't mean you could watch the windows render or anything gory like that. I mean things like the animations weren't smooth at all, it felt like it was actively trying to keep up computing the transformation effect on each redraw. This was after a fresh install of 10.10 as well so I doubt any software corruption would have affected the system.

It's basically been an internet debate on whether or not they underpowered the graphics tech in the 2014 13" rMBP or not, but a lot of us share the opinion that until now it was either underpowered or underutilized.

And remember that the 13" rMBP only uses intel on-board graphics, it doesn't have a discrete GPU.

Also I started the install of ElCap on my iMac last night and left the office since it was hanging on the "30 minutes" for an hour or so, figured I'd finish this morning. Come in today and it finished, but I was a little bummed to see that the screen didn't blank and now I've got the T&C page burned into my iMac display. It's slowly dissipating but I can still see some remnants and it's driving me nuts :haw:

I have the 2014 rMBP and while Mavericks was okay, Yosemite had tons of stutter. Nothing huge, but enough to notice time to time. It improved with patches, but it was never great. Disabling transparency did help. El cap does seem to fix all of it though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Seems faster on my 11" Air but I haven't used it a whole lot yet. Upgrading my 2013 rMBP 13" tonight

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How do I pin tabs in Safari 9? I'm still on Yosemite, is it an El Cap feature only?

Tab muting is very good

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

El Cap is definitely tons snappier on my '07 MBP, miles ahead of Yosemite. Hardly any stutter at all and it even feels like the mouse response has improved. Yosemite for the most part felt like there was a graphics-heavy app running in the background causing lag. Mission Control is actually useable again! Only weird glitch I've had was on the first boot post-install where it couldn't decide if it wanted the OS language to be English or Finnish and kept comically jumping between the two every second, changing folder names back and forth, but a quick tinker with language settings and a reboot later it's a-ok.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How do I pin tabs in Safari 9? I'm still on Yosemite, is it an El Cap feature only?

Tab muting is very good
Just grab the tab and drag it to the left and it'll turn into a pin.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

You can right click to pin on El Cap, dunno if Yosemite is the same.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Looks like it's El Cap only

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol why can't i put two instances of pages side by side in splitscreen view

Also in retrospective it seems strange Apple would release the new MB without waiting for Metal to arrive.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cingulate posted:

Also in retrospective it seems strange Apple would release the new MB without waiting for Metal to arrive.

It wouldn't let me if my rMBP was at native, but bumping to 1680x1050 scaled let me. So the windows are probably just won't go narrow enough to be side by side.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Get Moom and use that :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aaa holy poo poo having Calendar and Mail fullscreen in the same window is loving awesome.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So what's the latest go-to video player for OS X? I've been using MPlayerX for ages mostly because I haven't found anything better yet but with El Cap changing something with rendering (I think?) all videos playing on MPX are weirdly pixelated. I have VLC but it's a lot slower and more jumbled and refuses to fullscreen into its own Space. Quicktime I'm guessing is the same it's been since forever and won't play common formats besides mp4, m4v and mov. I also found movist to be rubbish and mpv has zero features. Why isn't there a good player for OS X?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Did you update MPlayerX? I can't recall seeing any visual issues on El Capitan so far.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It says I'm up-to-date with 1.1.0, which was the June 13th update and that's the only one on the website. I hope they release a patch for El Cap soon but they haven't been all that keen to update it recently.

CeciPipePasPipe
Aug 18, 2004
This pipe not pipe!!

Wild EEPROM posted:

I hate that the new spaces in mission control don't show the preview until you mouseover, is there a way to show it all the time like in every other version of mission control?

Me too. I filed a request on http://bugreport.apple.com asking them to at least make it an option to auto-show the previews. I suggest you do too, they seem to like duplicate reports as that allows them to prioritize requests.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

So what's the latest go-to video player for OS X? I've been using MPlayerX for ages mostly because I haven't found anything better yet but with El Cap changing something with rendering (I think?) all videos playing on MPX are weirdly pixelated. I have VLC but it's a lot slower and more jumbled and refuses to fullscreen into its own Space. Quicktime I'm guessing is the same it's been since forever and won't play common formats besides mp4, m4v and mov. I also found movist to be rubbish and mpv has zero features. Why isn't there a good player for OS X?

El Cap removed VDA so everything is now VideoToolbox only. FFmpeg didn't get hardware acceleration for VideoToolbox until July, so you are using software decoding for now. Should be pretty simple for the developer to just change the FFmpeg version.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

El Cap removed VDA so everything is now VideoToolbox only. FFmpeg didn't get hardware acceleration for VideoToolbox until July, so you are using software decoding for now. Should be pretty simple for the developer to just change the FFmpeg version.
That makes sense. Good to know it's an easy fix, hopefully the developer won't take another year to sort it.

jinpachistar
Dec 25, 2012

Ever since I upgraded to ElCap, my login screen shows a default grey background instead of my desktop wallpaper when I wake my computer from sleep (it's fine when I restart or log out into it). It's not that big of an annoyance, but has anyone else experienced this?

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Am I missing something crushingly obvious with the new fullscreen / split view modes? I just don't get how I'm supposed to use them.

I don't really use fullscreen except during a presentation when removing the few pixels the menubar and dock take up matters, but whatever.

Split view though? Say I've got OneNote open on the left, and Safari on the right. I want to pull something from Excel for a second... but I can't have that visible, I have to switch spaces, or exit split view and re-enter with OneNote+Excel.
Or if i'm on the "desktop" with those three apps manually resized to 50% width, I can flip between them in a split second with Cmd+Tab or Expose.

It looks like I can use BetterTouchTool to rewire Zoom back to being Zoom, but I genuinely don't understand how this is supposed to be useful. (Unless it's attempting to bring multitasking to people who can only cope with a single maximized window on screen at once? :confused:)

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
^ What he said, but about Excel. Am I missing something about it or is it a really bad piece of software that nobody should ever use?

Get Moom and use that :cool:
"Get Windows and use that"

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did you update MPlayerX? I can't recall seeing any visual issues on El Capitan so far.
Good to hear MPlayerX got an update. Always my favourite.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

killa-pope posted:

In case nobody has wandered into Safari settings yet, ElCap lets you enable command+number tab switching.

I am a happy, happy man.

This turned itself on by default. Thank goodness they provided a checkbox to disable it (which was apparently missing in one of the late betas).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I decided to switch to Safari for good after getting sick of Chrome being so sluggish and a memory hog and man, this thing is loving snappy. It would be absolutely perfect if it had SALR and some good Youtube extension for mouse wheel volume and to prevent autoplay and stuff but it's night and day between this and Chrome.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Stare-Out posted:

I decided to switch to Safari for good after getting sick of Chrome being so sluggish and a memory hog and man, this thing is loving snappy. It would be absolutely perfect if it had SALR and some good Youtube extension for mouse wheel volume and to prevent autoplay and stuff but it's night and day between this and Chrome.

No disabling autoplay on yt or otherwise is too heavy a cross to bear for me. There's no decent way to run userscripts?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

jinpachistar posted:

Ever since I upgraded to ElCap, my login screen shows a default grey background instead of my desktop wallpaper when I wake my computer from sleep (it's fine when I restart or log out into it). It's not that big of an annoyance, but has anyone else experienced this?

Nope, don't think so. Probably something as simple as reapplying the image as your wallpaper, if you haven't tried that already.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
As cool as El Capitan is, Spotify is seriously messed up on it. It caused my first ever OSX-equivalent-of-a-BSOD with how crashy and unwieldy it is. :smith:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kaizoku posted:

No disabling autoplay on yt or otherwise is too heavy a cross to bear for me. There's no decent way to run userscripts?
I don't know much at all about that. Safari seems to have a general lack of decent extensions. It has the big ones like adblock and stuff but the only decent looking Youtube extension I found had a subscription fee.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

enojy posted:

Nope, don't think so. Probably something as simple as reapplying the image as your wallpaper, if you haven't tried that already.

Or maybe just a "killall Dock," because for some reason the Dock process owns the wallpaper, not Finder.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stare-Out posted:

I don't know if it's just me but Youtube won't play another video (like in a playlist or just with autoplay) unless I go back to that tab. Kinda handy.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Stare-Out posted:

I don't know much at all about that. Safari seems to have a general lack of decent extensions. It has the big ones like adblock and stuff but the only decent looking Youtube extension I found had a subscription fee.

I'm not upgrading to El Cap quite yet, but http://tampermonkey.net/?browser=safari is the best thing I can find without personally testing compatibility. What tampermonkey allows you to do is run "userscripts," which are small javascript files that will load with and change the content of the pages you visit. If it works, https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki is what I use on most machines for youtube. It has a settings page that is accessible when on a youtube page, and your first loading of a youtube after installing the script should present a splash page that segues directly into the settings. The dev version that is linked there is absolutely what to go with (if it works), but the summary page linked is a better summary page, and depending upon compatibilities the "stable" version might work better on Safari.

The tampermonkey website can give you more information, but perhaps someone else in here has already gone through this process and just hasn't checked the thread yet...

jinpachistar
Dec 25, 2012

enojy posted:

carry on then posted:

Or maybe just a "killall Dock," because for some reason the Dock process owns the wallpaper, not Finder.

I tried both of your suggestions (as well as resetting PRAM/SMC just in case) and neither worked. This never happened before in Yosemite and obviously, this isn't a big enough problem for me to go back. (El Capitan feels so much faster!)

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

So is Safari better than Chrome now?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roobsa posted:

It's been better for me since I got my rMBP since Feb 2014. Chrome makes the laptop HOT and kills my battery in like 2 hours just browsing the forums.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Roobsa posted:

Safari didn't change a whole lot in 9.0 as far as performance goes, but it is perfectly fast, minimal, and serviceable. There's a grip of ad block extensions available and that's good enough for my needs.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Safari 9 is much faster for me and the development tools are a lot faster and nicer as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

That's good enough for me. I'll move over to Safari for a while and see how that goes.