Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kazinsal posted:

That is unironically close to what our mutual friend laid out, except you sprung for eight cores instead of thirty-six.

Dual socket systems are going to be absolutely worse for gaming, stay away. For multi-SLI the X99 platform stuff is actually OK though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I've actually been toying with the idea of splitting out the Parts Picking Megathread into two threads, one for Value builds and one for Performance/Enthusiast builds. The first one would be the current thread, and the second would be for people that post in this and the Overclocking thread. What do you folks think about this idea?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I like the idea of splitting up the parts picking thread into "regular users/gamers" and "people with high end tasks and goals". The main reason I posted my dilemma here is because I like the lighthearted but knowledgeable atmosphere in this thread. Maybe poll the overclocking thread about merging overclocking + enthusiast GPU + enthusiast parts/builds into one thread? Just a thought.

For my buddy, I'm thinking about going with X99 + SLI 980 Ti since he wants to do 1440p and recording/rendering at 60fps. If he wasn't planning on doing video work I'd say "hell with that, let's just wait for the 6700K to show up at retail in Canada".

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Yeah, as long as we keep that sweet, sweet knowledge base I don't care what you call it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I guess it depends on the game but I can do 1440p recording with minimal FPS loss in most of them, with "just" an i7-4770k and a single 980Ti, so that will definitely work great.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Kazinsal posted:

I like the idea of splitting up the parts picking thread into "regular users/gamers" and "people with high end tasks and goals". The main reason I posted my dilemma here is because I like the lighthearted but knowledgeable atmosphere in this thread. Maybe poll the overclocking thread about merging overclocking + enthusiast GPU + enthusiast parts/builds into one thread? Just a thought.
If anything we'd like less concentration of topics into megathreads, so combining existing megathreads isn't likely to happen. The main reason I want to do this is because the Parts Picking Megathread seems really focused on value and seems to react pretty negatively to performance/enthusiast builds.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Alereon posted:

If anything we'd like less concentration of topics into megathreads, so combining existing megathreads isn't likely to happen. The main reason I want to do this is because the Parts Picking Megathread seems really focused on value and seems to react pretty negatively to performance/enthusiast builds.

I can see why the megathread combining would be a concern in most cases. I'm just a bit concerned that another thread that targets enthusiasts would thin the already low post rate in the OC thread even further -- there's only about 30-40 posts per month there as opposed to the 25 pages of posts that were made in this thread in September alone.

You're totally right on the parts picking megathread being averse to high-end builds. And I agree with Gyrotica -- as long as whatever happens is still an enthusiast computer janitor's support group, I'll post in it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Alereon posted:

I've actually been toying with the idea of splitting out the Parts Picking Megathread into two threads, one for Value builds and one for Performance/Enthusiast builds. The first one would be the current thread, and the second would be for people that post in this and the Overclocking thread. What do you folks think about this idea?

I'm not a huge fan personally.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Truga posted:

I guess it depends on the game but I can do 1440p recording with minimal FPS loss in most of them, with "just" an i7-4770k and a single 980Ti, so that will definitely work great.

Encoding those recordings is definitely just about the only common home use thing that 100% scales from more cores too though!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Alereon posted:

That'll be excellent. The OP hasn't been written for the "just want a computer that does the bare minimum" crowd that's been emerging lately despite there being a lot of interest and options on that area. (ed: especially the NUC units and the AM1 units outside the US)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gwaihir posted:

Encoding those recordings is definitely just about the only common home use thing that 100% scales from more cores too though!

Yeah, it's the only reason I went with an i7 over an i5.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Truga posted:

According to steam, 27% of users game on 1366x768, I poo poo you not: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
2,7% of users have a singular core :psyboom:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

mmkay posted:

2,7% of users have a singular core :psyboom:

How long has it been since single cores even came out?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

xthetenth posted:

On Intel it would be a Pentium 4 wouldn't it? Yikes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Germstore posted:

On Intel it would be a Pentium 4 wouldn't it? Yikes.

Two or three bottom-end SB Celerons were single core.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Probably those $139 black friday laptops or something playing dota

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

LittleBob posted:

What's the old GPU market like?

I have an EVGA Titan from 2013. I had a look on eBay, but here (UK) there only seems to be two sellers with no interest in them. I know it's still a good card, but does the market move so quickly that it's now worthless? :(

You're not going to get everything you paid back out of it, but it's definitely not worthless either. OG Titans are still the only game in town for low-cost double-precision compute, so there's still a thriving market of grad students/etc who are after them. If you were in the US I'd be interested.

EVGA had B-stock units for $350 about a month ago, and you'll probably be able to get more than that since prices overseas are higher to begin with. A 970 is about 8% faster in terms of game performance, and the Titan consumes more power, so it's not a fantastic deal just for gaming. But compared to what NVIDIA charges for Tesla cards it's a steal, since it's essentially a K20X without the ECC memory.

Err, I mean it's worthless, I guess I'll pay you to ship it over if you want.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 2, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I was surprised that dual cores are still dominant, especially the way some games are coded to not run on fewer than four cores. I guess those games are still in the minority.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Panty Saluter posted:

I was surprised that dual cores are still dominant, especially the way some games are coded to not run on fewer than four cores. I guess those games are still in the minority.

I wonder if they count only physical cores? i3s and fake laptop i5s and poo poo being counted as 2 cores would make sense.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I only really encountered that issue with Far Cry 4 when I was messing with a anniversary pentium.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Panty Saluter posted:

All of those games have workarounds for two cores or two threads to be more specific.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cat doter posted:

I wonder if they count only physical cores? i3s and fake laptop i5s and poo poo being counted as 2 cores would make sense.

What makes a laptop i5 or i7 "fake"? i3/i5/i7 is just a marketing name and doesn't say anything about how many cores it has.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazinsal posted:

People who play Team Fortress 2 on a $300 laptop.

Kazinsal posted:

Two or three bottom-end SB Celerons were single core.

I got a Compaq CQ56-115DX as part of a class-action settlement for the NVIDIA chip bumping problems back in 2011 (headline: "Customers get shafted in Nvidia class action suit"). It had a 15.6" 1366x768 screen (that you could see the individual, gravelly pixels on) and a blazing fast AMD V140 2.3 GHz single-core CPU (roughly comparable to an Athlon 64 3800+). It was pokey as hell out of the box, but after I replaced the HDD with a cheap SSD and installed Lubuntu it has been reasonably usable for normal desktop tasks. With the assistance of the onboard GPU I can reliably decode 720p video! 1080p is right out though.

But at the end of 2012 I ended up buying a super-cheapo Thinkpad W510 with a Quadro 880M for like $375 so I could develop CUDA on the go. Nowadays they're down closer to $250. 1600x900 screen and I can reliably hit >60fps in TF2 on low settings, and that keyboard... :circlefap:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 2, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

What makes a laptop i5 or i7 "fake"? i3/i5/i7 is just a marketing name and doesn't say anything about how many cores it has.

The i5 line up is supposed to be mainstream quad core. Some i5 on laptops are dual core with hyperthreading. Desktop i5 are quad with absolutely no model having hyperthreading.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SlayVus posted:

The i5 line up is supposed to be mainstream quad core. Some i5 on laptops are dual core with hyperthreading. Desktop i5 are quad with absolutely no model having hyperthreading.

Ehh, in low power settings dual with hyperthreading makes a lot of sense. Really, it'd just be awesome if they made it clear whether it was ultrabook, low power or high power for laptop chips and the i_ was for status in that group.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Alereon posted:

I think people just need to have it beaten into them that value doesn't just mean cheap - it means getting the most for your budget, whether that budget is $1k or $4k. That being said, there are alt of people who don't have a good idea of what a reasonable budget for a particular scenario is, and are attempting to spend far more money than they could possibly need. I'm not sold on the two threads idea though - I think having one thread works better, but last time I was there it was starting to become a rabble, so maybe more needs to be done in that regard.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Most people have already had it beaten into them that there's two types of "value"--value in the sense of, as you say, getting a lot for your money, regardless of what the price-point is. Then there's the Great Value! Super Best Buy! type "value" where you are, in fact, talking about the cheap end of the spectrum. There can be overlap, of course (cheap item where you still get a lot for the price), but I think that the vast majority of people who see"Value X" are going to assume you're talking the second sense, not necessarily the first.

Also, the Parts Picking thread is actively hostile to most anything that doesn't fall into either of those senses of value. If I want advice on how to make a water-cooled SLI 980Ti box to push tri-1440p displays because I god damned want to, the megathread more often than not will question why I'd even want to do something like that, rather than give helpful advice about such a Cadillac build. It seems like there is a general assumption that there's no reason to ever consider spending more than like $1500-$2000 at the very most, and anything above that is wasteful.

To that end, a thread for the 1%ers might not be a bad idea.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SlayVus posted:

Up to broadwell all laptop i5s are dual core with hypertheading, as are all ULV i7s

There are also occasional dual core desktop i5s (some of the T suffix CPUs)

As for Steam it reports cores not threads, and just because a system has Steam installed it doesn't mean it is going to have games run on it (especially now streaming works so well)

dissss fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 2, 2015

LLeGGo
Nov 6, 2005

No relation. Your mouth foams. We dance.
My 660ti is getting a little long in the tooth. Performs fine, but starting to get hotter as time goes on, I hit 95 today playing CS:GO, which it's never done before. I don't have the shekels for a new GPU right now so I was looking at gpu coolers to try and extend the life of this little guy. I've never used one and was wondering what opinions are on them. And if anyone might have a recommendation for a reasonably priced one.

Edit: Current heat problem also due to being in the hottest 5 square ft of my new apartment, which unfortunately, is the only place I can have my PC set up.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
It's kinda silly to look into legit GPU coolers if your intent is to stay on a budget. Most of the ones worth bothering with are $75+. What might be worthwhile for you is to see how hard it would be to remove the current cooler and clean/reapply the TIM.

If environment is a problem, you can always take the ghetto route: pop the side off the case and strap a big 'ol box fan on there.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrDork posted:

Also, the Parts Picking thread is actively hostile to most anything that doesn't fall into either of those senses of value.

Yeah I have run into this. Sometimes I want to know the best way to implement a bad idea. Value not being a concern

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Daysvala posted:

Are you running EVGA Precision X and Windows 10?

There is a known issue right now with precision x that causes many DirectX9 programs to crash. I spent weeks trying to isolate the cause of similar problems until I tried uninstalling precision X. Since Afterburner is basically the same program, it may also be having the same issues, but I haven't checked.

MSI Afterburner on Windows 8 still.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Twerk from Home posted:

For desktop CPUs the naming conventions are fairly consistent with a few deviations here and there, the laptop line is pure anarchy! Dual cores with hyperthreading for everyone!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

LLeGGo posted:

My 660ti is getting a little long in the tooth. Performs fine, but starting to get hotter as time goes on, I hit 95 today playing CS:GO, which it's never done before. I don't have the shekels for a new GPU right now so I was looking at gpu coolers to try and extend the life of this little guy. I've never used one and was wondering what opinions are on them. And if anyone might have a recommendation for a reasonably priced one.

Edit: Current heat problem also due to being in the hottest 5 square ft of my new apartment, which unfortunately, is the only place I can have my PC set up.

The best you can probably do if you don't want to spend some cash is just take the cooler off, clean the fan and fins of dust, and replace the no doubt totally dead thermal paste on your GPU. That can give you some decent temperature reductions even on a brand new card, so for an old 660TI it will probably do wonders.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

cat doter posted:

For desktop CPUs the naming conventions are fairly consistent with a few deviations here and there, the laptop line is pure anarchy! Dual cores with hyperthreading for everyone!

Yeah, when there's three different power levels getting mixed together, the i3/5/7 notation falls apart. For laptops they should give the TDP as well as performance bracket.

Also a high end builds thread would be cool just for talking about what the technology can do rather than what my wallet can do. Stuff like water cooled quadruple video cards so I have room for an 8x PCIe SSD.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 2, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, when there's three different power levels getting mixed together, the i3/5/7 notation falls apart. For laptops they should give the TDP as well as performance bracket.
They do, it's just deliberately obtuse: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Stanley Pain posted:

You'd all be shocked how many people "play games" @ 10-20 FPS.

I'm way more shocked at how our mediocre Acer laptop handles games on its bullshit nVidia 540m GPU. It's surprisingly well, actually, I play a lot of XCom on that and with everything on low at its native resolution (which is low, I'm part of that 22% or whatever when I play on the laptop) it runs at a fairly steady 30fps on average, even on bigger maps. I've had success with a lot of games that have pretty scalable engines, though the tech wonders are a no-go and, more frustratingly I guess, poorly optimized indie games give it some trouble. Even 2D ones, if they have a lot of framebuffer stuff going on.

Don't get me wrong, it chokes on some games REALLY bad, but that little poo poo mobile chip from 2011 is letting me actually play stuff when I can't be at my computer so I appreciate it all the same. Definitely has retuned my thinking about how much of a video card I "need" to have. I'll probably get the next mid-range card that performs as well as the 780Ti, or one step up from the mid-range if they have something analogous to the 570, 670, etc. at the time. It would take some pretty impressive graphics technology that was more than just "it's modestly prettier now!" and maybe VR will offer that sooner than I think, but I dunno.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, it's more that when advertising it's always just i7, and by the time you see the suffices, you've already got the model number and so on.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

LLeGGo posted:

I'd do like Dork suggested & reapply thermal paste - how often do you clean out your case? Have you checked for any other fan problems to see if airflow is getting messed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Agreed posted:

I'm way more shocked at how our mediocre Acer laptop handles games on its bullshit nVidia 540m GPU. It's surprisingly well, actually, I play a lot of XCom on that and with everything on low at its native resolution (which is low, I'm part of that 22% or whatever when I play on the laptop) it runs at a fairly steady 30fps on average, even on bigger maps. I've had success with a lot of games that have pretty scalable engines, though the tech wonders are a no-go and, more frustratingly I guess, poorly optimized indie games give it some trouble. Even 2D ones, if they have a lot of framebuffer stuff going on.

Don't get me wrong, it chokes on some games REALLY bad, but that little poo poo mobile chip from 2011 is letting me actually play stuff when I can't be at my computer so I appreciate it all the same. Definitely has retuned my thinking about how much of a video card I "need" to have. I'll probably get the next mid-range card that performs as well as the 780Ti, or one step up from the mid-range if they have something analogous to the 570, 670, etc. at the time. It would take some pretty impressive graphics technology that was more than just "it's modestly prettier now!" and maybe VR will offer that sooner than I think, but I dunno.

I've been surprised by my Asus UX305(yes I know it's a modern chip) with what I can throw at it and still consider the game "playable". Other times I'm shocked that a simple looking game can perform so badly :D. My desktop builds have always been into the Enthusiast range so I'm pretty picky on what I call playable. I also have an older ASUS K series with AMD A6 APU and that can pleasantly run a lot of things as well.

Thankfully when I'm at home and on the couch Steam in home streaming saves the day.