Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Malleovic posted:

Is there a precedent for this? I'm honestly curious because I figured there'd be a reason that it seems like there are very few (non-publicly traded) companies that release stuff like this to the public under any circumstances (or am I completely full of poo poo about that?). An independent auditor? Sure, makes sense. But the public? Doesn't seem like something most private companies do.

Anyone?

Who cares, private companies go listed and have to publish their figures and have them audited, it's not the end of you business to be honest about your financials. It's only your end if you indeed have something to hide. There's no way out of this mess anymore unless CIG releases a financial statement, if they have been honest that^s the only way to shut everyone up - or they relase SQ42 on next Saturday. Anything else is just going to gently caress them on their revenue streams and they will go belly-up, unless someone dares to buy them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Madcosby posted:

Financial docs will prob show plenty of outside proper investments, and that they have a lot more than the $90 mil from backers (and prob spent a lot more ) and thus backers will see they've just been being fleeced endlessly

They will never post actual docs. At most they will post an "Accounting summary" just like they do their "Development Summaries" for the FPS module every week. It will be put through three layers of management interpretation and offer nothing of substance, if it happens at all.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Malleovic posted:

Is there a precedent for this? I'm honestly curious because I figured there'd be a reason that it seems like there are very few (non-publicly traded) companies that release stuff like this to the public under any circumstances (or am I completely full of poo poo about that?). An independent auditor? Sure, makes sense. But the public? Doesn't seem like something most private companies do.

Anyone?

There is no precedent for any of it. Completely crowdfunded entities (assuming CIG is even remotely close to that) simply haven't existed before. I'm more interested in why CIG hasn't filed those statements in the UK, since that's legally mandated and it's hard not to see them as potentially damning given their absence.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

bawbaw posted:

That's not how it works. Just because there's no cracks in either side's message doesn't mean both sides aren't full of poo poo.

Yeah, for all we know, they're both lying, and Crobbits & co. are on Caymans right now while the other side is making up dirt about a company that's winding down after the roberts couple embezzled all the money.

e:

Madcosby posted:

Financial docs will prob show plenty of outside proper investments, and that they have a lot more than the $90 mil from backers (and prob spent a lot more ) and thus backers will see they've just been being fleeced endlessly

This too. We have a real investor posting in this thread.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Sarsapariller posted:

It's enough to send a clear "GET THE gently caress OUT" message to anybody who's paying attention, though. There's really no reason not to, at the moment, and plenty of indicators that things are headed downhill. At the end of the day I don't even care if not every rumor pans out- the game just isn't deliverable anymore.

A big indicator is that they are getting their employees to make positive posts on their forum to directly refute the article instead of actually "working" on the "game" itself. Oh, and treating the article as a non-issue like most companies would, if it were false, instead of having the CEO completely flip his poo poo and the corresponding poo poo rolling down hill as the world watches.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 1, 2015

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Agrajag posted:

A big indicator is that they are getting their employees to make positive posts on their forum to directly refute the article instead of actually "working" on the "game" itself.

We have proof of that? Seems like more speculation to me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
lmao

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Madcosby posted:

It's not like their backers would care and come to your insight, most likely they would cheer for the prospect of having more game implemented due to better funding and request more ships to pledge on.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
god star citizen owns

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED

sorla78 posted:

Who cares, private companies go listed and have to publish their figures and have them audited, it's not the end of you business to be honest about your financials. It's only your end if you indeed have something to hide. There's no way out of this mess anymore unless CIG releases a financial statement, if they have been honest that^s the only way to shut everyone up - or they relase SQ42 on next Saturday. Anything else is just going to gently caress them on their revenue streams and they will go belly-up, unless someone dares to buy them out.

Erm, I wasn't asking "is it possible for them to do this" or "why should they do this", and yeah, I know what auditors are for. I was asking for someone with experience or exposure to managing access to these documents why they wouldn't be immediately inclined to do so, beyond our speculation that they have something in their financials to hide. Yes, that may definitely be the case, but we already know that. I'm curious to know if there are legit reasons why businesses don't make this stuff available to the public as a general rule.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

That they posted or that they were not working on the game while posting? Cause the former definitely happened.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Malleovic posted:

Erm, I wasn't asking "is it possible for them to do this" or "why should they do this", and yeah, I know what auditors are for. I was asking for someone with experience or exposure to managing access to these documents why they wouldn't be immediately inclined to do so, beyond our speculation that they have something in their financials to hide. Yes, that may definitely be the case, but we already know that. I'm curious to know if there are legit reasons why businesses don't make this stuff available to the public as a general rule.

Ok sorry I misunderstood you there.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dohaeris posted:

What is reality anyway? I mean we don't really see anything, right? We just see the photons that bounced off those things and then into our eyes. Anything could have put those photons there! You're a brain in a jar, man!

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Sedisp posted:

That they posted or that they were not working on the game while posting? Cause the former definitely happened.

That their boss is telling them to go make positive PR posts. Obviously it's tricky to code something and write a forum post simultaneously.

I could see a scenario where someone goes "Hey, I put a lot of work and passion into this thing and those seem like lies. Boss, can I post on the forums?"

The alternative "Hey, go post this on the forums, we're getting bad PR" is also totally possible, I just don't see anything that says what's happening other than posters in here making that claim.

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED

sorla78 posted:

Ok sorry I misunderstood you there.

It's all good.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dohaeris posted:

That their boss is telling them to go make positive PR posts. Obviously it's tricky to code something and write a forum post simultaneously.

I could see a scenario where someone goes "Hey, I put a lot of work and passion into this thing and those seem like lies. Boss, can I post on the forums?"

The alternative "Hey, go post this on the forums, we're getting bad PR" is also totally possible, I just don't see anything that says what's happening other than posters in here making that claim.

Three fairly highly placed people were all motivated to take time off from their work day and go make forum posts about the same topic, at the same time of day, immediately after the release of a damaging article that Chris & Co were warned about ahead of time.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Sarsapariller posted:

Three fairly highly placed people were all motivated to take time off from their work day and go make forum posts about the same topic, at the same time of day, immediately after the release of a damaging article that Chris & Co were warned about ahead of time.

Sounds awfully speculative to me, got any proof of that? :colbert:

Seriously the response of Croberts and co. is extremely stupid and entertaining as hell, I love it.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah, like all the posters in here came to talk about it when they heard the news? That doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

Again, not saying that's what happened, just confirming this is goons making up stuff based on speculation. Also "immediately" is a bit of a stretch given the time.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There is no precedent for any of it. Completely crowdfunded entities (assuming CIG is even remotely close to that) simply haven't existed before. I'm more interested in why CIG hasn't filed those statements in the UK, since that's legally mandated and it's hard not to see them as potentially damning given their absence.

I'd just point out that when they reach the limits that requires them publishing a full set of accounts, they are independently audited but this has a different meaning to what might be expected. An independent audit on a set of accounts means that the accountant confirms that they reflect a true representation of what happened.

If you ever look at an accountants report on an unaudited set of accounts you will see they are stating that they take zero responsibility for the accounts and that it rests entirely with the directors (even though the accountant most likely prepared them entirely).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In the end, maybe Chris Robert is the real escapist. Because he'll escape justice and keep millions of dollars.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Goddammit, the second this poo poo all blows up I come up with "funny" jokes.

"If he could sell jpegs for that much, imagine how much he could have made from pngs!"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Every single piece of effort media coverage of Citizen Con is going to mention this. The planned grand coverage of all the Hollywood stars appearing in SQ42 will have a paragraph or two about funds running out and $900 space farming.

Every single time I think it can't get possibly get any worse for them, it's amazing and wonderful.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1foQKD3OI

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

Because cultists can't post BS out of their own accord.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Roberts responding was the wrong thing per se, but he should have done it in July.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
The forum continues to be in denial. Chris is Steve Jobs.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/287221/steve-jobs-and-chris-roberts-are-very-much-alike-in-some-ways

Jethro_E7 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 1, 2015

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Comparing him to Steve Jobs is a terrible plan, because no one liked Steve Jobs. Although the "loud yelling and crazy work conditions" makes more sense.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Steve Jobs was in charge of a company that produces real products NOT .jpgs of a game (modules? whatevs?) that will never exist. Steve Jobs is also not an overweight incompetent gently caress boy.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dohaeris posted:

Yeah, like all the posters in here came to talk about it when they heard the news? That doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

Again, not saying that's what happened, just confirming this is goons making up stuff based on speculation. Also "immediately" is a bit of a stretch given the time.

Truga posted:

Because cultists can't post BS out of their own accord.

I'm just saying- it's a reasonable suspicion that is in line with the way the secret squirrels are asserting they run their office. I have no more insight into the truth of things than anybody else here, but it is perfectly in keeping with my mental model of how CIG will jump at any given stimulus. Ultimately, if it looks like a crooked-rear end dictatorship and it quacks like one, I feel that's valid enough.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Steve Jobs finished projects and sold actual products to consumers.

e;fb

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 1, 2015

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Chris Roberts posted:

...because GamerGate...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sarsapariller posted:

For the record, there are certainly people at companies getting bad PR that want to say things about it, even if the Official Status is "don't respond to it" (you know, like most sane and professional game companies do). Hell, I had a job awhile back that had some drama because one of the developers was posting positive reviews on Metacritic. Sometimes people doing jobs want to take pride in those jobs, and want to defend it against people making GBS threads on it, even if it looks lovely to everyone outside looking in.

I'm all for giving the credence to the problems in the Escapist article, but jumping to "they're forcing employees to defend them" is unsubstantiated, probably unlikely, and just gives anyone trying to refute the article a reason to point and say "They'd even believe THAT, what credulous morons!" instead of addressing the real problems.*

* I'd follow this up with "Not that anyone would address issues brought up on the Something Awful Comedy Forums" but that fantastic display of poo poo-rolling CR just indulged himself in truly makes me believe that anything is possible.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

Sedisp posted:

Automatically assuming a person is blameless because they happen to be a woman is super misogynistic fyi.

yeah Im sure all this Sandi hate is coming from the egalitarian goodness of people's hearts

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Next time I update my CV, I'll definitely put Star Citizen as my current occupation.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

All employees entering or leaving a CIG office will be required to stamp on an image of Derek Smart or risk exposing themselves as traitors and earning the Shogun's displeasure.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Irrational Man posted:

yeah Im sure all this Sandi hate is coming from the egalitarian goodness of people's hearts

Would there be this much hate if she was a man? Yes there would look at Lesnick. If we replaced all mentions of Gardiner with Lesnick there would be the exact same reaction. Possibly even more so because Ben is horrible.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
BREAKING: In a shocking turn of events, Zombo.com LLC bought out CIG.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
lmaoooooooooooo

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
What, are we not allowed to hate someone now because they happen to be a female? What is this poo poo? I'll hate and poo poo on anyone I damned well please, male or female. Go gently caress yourself, shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Irrational Man posted:

lmao if you think society's desire to tear into people when there's blood in the water is smaller than their tendencies to be misogynistic

get the gently caress out of here you sad brained twerp

• Locked thread