Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Anyone who gets hammered on tequila and pretends it's any different from any other 40proof liquor is a noob.

This is bullshit dude. Different types of booze effect different people in various ways. I can put whiskey and vodka down all night long but tequila makes into a crazy rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Tequila is fine, I've just had too many bad nights with it. Tequila and ranch dressing don't mix, for example, as I found out the next morning to a very angry wife and highly amused friends.

And drinking vodka will make me straight up vomit. Not "oh, I'm gonna drink a ton and vomit" but "if I have vodka, even if I can't taste it, I will vomit in the next five minutes".

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

This is bullshit dude. Different types of booze effect different people in various ways. I can put whiskey and vodka down all night long but tequila makes into a crazy rear end in a top hat.

AI - is Rhyno a noob Yes/No?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

AI - is Rhyno a noob Yes/No?

I worked in a bar for just shy of a decade and drank 4-5 nights per week of that tenure.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

I worked in a bar for just shy of a decade and drank 4-5 nights per week of that tenure.

Yeah but you're a comic nerd

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah but you're a comic nerd

It's not like I was drinking Mountain Dew!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

Code red is still mountain dew

Edit: I hate that drunk where I'm too drunk to play any video game that requires skill or to work on a vehicle, but still too belligerent to fall asleep

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 2, 2015

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Rhyno posted:

It's not the booze, but locale that works against you. :v:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Mt. Dew and tequila?
You’re a monster.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I figured I'd try to go back to Whole Foods. I'm sick of pizza, sick of racist managers, sick of everything about where I work.

Went in the other day, bumped into one of my old coworkers, who is now the department manager for frontend (which is where I'd like to work - I'm a drat good cashier, drawer always balanced to the penny, knew PLUs like the back of my hand, etc). He always told me he'd hire me back in a second if he got promoted. Welp, he's been promoted!

.... he told me they'd just announced 1200 layoffs. A decent number of them were in my old store too. gently caress. He told me to stay in touch with him, and he'll have no problem hiring me back once the hiring freeze is lifted. He mentioned he'd never seen the career website with zero jobs listed - sure enough, I checked, and not a single job opening anywhere in the US at that moment.

Oh yeah. Made a whole $12 in tips AND mileage today at work. I got tipped on only 2 orders. The rest was all stiffs... coupled with a slow day. :sigh: I basically made enough to buy dinner.

Tusen Takk posted:

My brother found out that i run 6 minute miles and wants me to run a night time 5k at the end of october

but i'm sooooo lazyyyyyyy :(

I'm running this one at the end of October. Also at night. I REALLY want to take my DSLR, but I know that's a terrible idea. So phone and selfie stick it is.

I need to get my rear end in shape ASAP.

The Locator posted:

Still overly warm this coming Saturday, with a high of 95, but the forecast is for breezy, yay!

79 is our high on Saturday.

And you better believe I'm gonna spend all day outside enjoying it. Probably hit up some of the nature preserves and get a little walking in, I've barely explored a tiny portion of Oak Point.

Root Bear posted:

I can still remember the whole :siren::derp:Y2K IS UPON US:derp::siren: nonsense and not being surprised in the least when nothing disastrous happened. Instead, life went on to prepare for the coming 2012 apocalypse and other life-ending calamities that didn't happen at all haven't happened yet. :tinfoil:

You know where I was when Y2k hit?

A motherfucking rave 650 miles from home, hosed up out of my mind on some pretty good drugs, with some friends I grew up with. I called my mom at 12:01 and said "Told you so" and hung up (she was hunkered down in a closet with food, water, flashlights, etc).

No regrets on that one.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

Dude I can't even get out of Ikea in 30m if I'm trying to, teach me your secrets. I feel like I'm in the god drat triwizard maze.

My personal record, set with the help of my brother, is 12 minutes from engine off to engine on. Checked availability online before we went, printed out shopping list with shelf numbers, and I've been going to that particular IKEA for like 15 years so I've finally found some of the shortcuts. Twelve minutes. Didn't even have to pass by the damned scented candles.

the spyder posted:

I want snow. We need a winter with 8-12" of good snow on the ground. I doubt it will happen this year.

Yes we do. Below freezing and blue skies with sunshine too, please.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

some texas redneck posted:

You know where I was when Y2k hit?

A motherfucking trans-pacific flight.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

bolind posted:

My personal record, set with the help of my brother, is 12 minutes from engine off to engine on. Checked availability online before we went, printed out shopping list with shelf numbers, and I've been going to that particular IKEA for like 15 years so I've finally found some of the shortcuts. Twelve minutes. Didn't even have to pass by the damned scented candles.

Yes we do. Below freezing and blue skies with sunshine too, please.

The no#1 secret Ikea top no-one wants you to know, the in-store map shows you all the shortcuts. There's usually one from the entrance to the warehouse too, signposted.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

iwentdoodie posted:

Tequila is fine, I've just had too many bad nights with it. Tequila and ranch dressing don't mix, for example, as I found out the next morning to a very angry wife and highly amused friends.

What, as a mixed drink?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I don't do cheap tequila because of my college years. The smell still gets to me.

Speaking of school, I am trying to get into an online program from one of the local state universities. Even though I've taken 12 classes at the CC since dropping out and averaging mostly a's and b's, my GPA is still poo poo.
I too would like to have a time machine to kick young me's rear end, but I made my choices and now I'm dealing with the consequences. I should have dropped out a semester earlier, the last 2 semesters made my GPA go from low 3.x to less than a 2.0.

What's driving this? The amount of people I've seen get sick and die in my shop. I guess breathing metal and coolant for years really fucks up your insides.

Also, I need 401k help. Where do I even start? Should I just talk to whoever handles it for my company? I think it's Fidelity.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

University preparing you chat --

I got an AS in Manufacturing Engineering and stopped school because I was tired of it. I was in Akron and quickly got hired as a project engineer at a processing plant that supplied the rubber and automotive industry. Jesus gently caress. School did absolutely nothing to prepare me for what an actual job was. I had a couple broken machines, a McMaster catalog, and a 6 person maintenance crew. With that, I was told to "fix them." You quickly learn to swim on your own. And yeah, a degree just shows that you have the will and capability to stick through something you engage in. In my case, I made it through the engineering job and it was fun, but drat that was some dirty, nasty poo poo on the floor. 20 years later and my sense of smell has never fully recovered.

IKEA chat --

They are making one within 2 miles of my house. I have never been to IKEA, but I've heard a lot from all over. I'm a little bit excited and a little bit scared.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I used to live <10 minutes walk from the IKEA in Coventry. Once a friend and I went hungover after a night out and just spent hours zoning out, sitting and laying on everything and playing with the lamps and stuff. I'm impressed we weren't asked to leave.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Just going to say I'm quite happy it's Friday, and Oktoberfest is tomorrow at the weird local German heritage colony.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

I have never been to IKEA, but I've heard a lot from all over. I'm a little bit excited and a little bit scared.

It's basically your standard slave labor manufactured poo poo only with nice aesthetics. Their quality stuff ain't cheap and their cheap stuff ain't quality. But if you're a bit smart about it, they have some pretty good deals. Also, they will nickle and dime you to death on accessories.

jammyozzy posted:

I used to live <10 minutes walk from the IKEA in Coventry. Once a friend and I went hungover after a night out and just spent hours zoning out, sitting and laying on everything and playing with the lamps and stuff. I'm impressed we weren't asked to leave.

In China they've turned this into an art. It's nice and clean and air conditioned, so it's a place you go to hang out, take a nap, go on dates etc. IKEA, being IKEA, were very reluctant to kick people out.

bolind fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 2, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

jammyozzy posted:

Fun fact, Ikea like people spending ages sitting and playing, everyone else who sees them subconsciously associates those items and sets with their own home if they see people doing things they would do.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

October chat: Just organising a pizza party at mine. Also just ordered a power rack and some weights for the garage. The weights may be to counteract the effects of pizza...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Great Beer posted:

I live in east Tennessee and the weather's great here. The only downside to the weather is that in spring the air is about 50% pollen. But I can get away with not owning a set of snow tires since we have maybe two or three snow days a year. Plus, no emissions testing in many counties. :toot:

I'm okay with that, Michigan is pretty much the same way except it's currently like 45º outside and it's only the beginning of October. I'm about to break out my winter coat but I'm afraid if I do that then I won't have a coat warm enough for when it turns into loving Jötunheimr here.

meatpimp posted:

IKEA chat --

They are making one within 2 miles of my house. I have never been to IKEA, but I've heard a lot from all over. I'm a little bit excited and a little bit scared.

It's fuckin awesome, be prepared to spend a lot of money on furniture that may or may not fall apart in a few years, depending on how much wood glue you apply

edit: yesssssss

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I have two Ikea end tables that I grabbed from my grandparents' house when they moved out. I thought they felt kinda light, even for the cheap particle board they use. One day the plastic trim piece fell off and I discovered that the inside was actually a honeycomb of cardboard.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Their LACK series is thin, thin fiberboard and a thin cardboard honeycomb construction. I made a little platform/stool out of one, and took it apart in the process. It's a rather ingenious construction: http://www.ikeahackers.net/2013/07/reinforced-red-lack-platformstooltable.html

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

mafoose posted:

Also, I need 401k help. Where do I even start? Should I just talk to whoever handles it for my company? I think it's Fidelity.

If you don't have one set up, talk to your HR rep. Whomever hired you. They'll lay out the plan for you and give you forms to get started.

You can deduct pre-tax money from a paycheck and put it into your 401k automatically, as a percentage of what you earn or as a flat rate. There will hopefully be a lot of options for which index funds are in your company's 401k plan. Pick the 4 or 5 with the lowest annual fees to start out with (if the fees are even listed...).

Like I said before, Vanguard will always have the lowest fees, so grab them if you aren't able to see the fee structure from the forms. If you want to pick other funds or see how your nest egg's doing, ask that same HR rep for your username and password for the fund's website. They will know it, and you can manage to your hearts content from there.

Your game plan here is to sock money away and forget about it, and let it earn the average 8-11% compounded yearly that it has always done. There will be fluctuations and all that poo poo, and you may not earn that in a single year, but the market has always steadily done that. If it doesn't, your 401k is the least of your worries. Lowest fees, because index funds are index funds and earning 8% but paying 1.5% when you could have been paying 0.17% is dumb. Compounded over 30 years it's super dumb.

Hope this helps. Check out this super helpful thread in BFC to hear exactly what I just told you in clearer words probably.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Deeters posted:

I have two Ikea end tables that I grabbed from my grandparents' house when they moved out. I thought they felt kinda light, even for the cheap particle board they use. One day the plastic trim piece fell off and I discovered that the inside was actually a honeycomb of cardboard.

Torsion boxes :cool:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Now to go back to the "college doesn't prepare you" chat, I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering from a pretty good school and I've never heard it called that before. :v:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

angryhampster posted:

Just going to say I'm quite happy it's Friday, and Oktoberfest is tomorrow at the weird local German heritage colony.

If you've never been, its my favorite thing about living at the lake, in between Atlanta and the mountains...used to be a great german car show called Southern Worthersee there up until next year because a bunch of asshats got drunk and trashed hotels and did burnouts on the bridge over the Chattahoochee (it was awesome)

Its this cool little replica Bavarian town and Oktoberfest is tits.
http://cityofhelen.org/

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh for fucks sake. I just saw carthrottle calling the vw diesel scandal dieselgate

Everything has to be something-gate nowadays. gently caress.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bajaha posted:

Oh for fucks sake. I just saw carthrottle calling the vw diesel scandal dieselgate

iirc the iPhone 6 bending issue was called Bendghazi

but yeah

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

I saw a website responding to the scandal by going: "Ban all diesels, even semis. Replace them all with gas motors."

:doh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bolind posted:

Their LACK series is thin, thin fiberboard and a thin cardboard honeycomb construction. I made a little platform/stool out of one, and took it apart in the process. It's a rather ingenious construction: http://www.ikeahackers.net/2013/07/reinforced-red-lack-platformstooltable.html

They're also literally :10bux:. Really not bad in the grand scheme of things.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

Oh yeah I have been looking for Foresters for you and also you should not move to Tennessee because it's a massive shithole.

Great Beer posted:

I live in east Tennessee and the weather's great here. The only downside to the weather is that in spring the air is about 50% pollen. But I can get away with not owning a set of snow tires since we have maybe two or three snow days a year. Plus, no emissions testing in many counties. :toot:
East Tennessee is the best Tennessee, we have fun roads and weather isn't complete poo poo.

mafoose posted:

Head over to BFC (http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=200) they have some newbie friendly threads on stuff and are very helpful with questions. Otherwise Fidelity is paid by your company to sit and talk you through how this stuff works. I spent a lot of time on the phone with a guy a few years ago who went over pretty much everything and answered a huge list of questions I had. I should really get in touch again and go for a slightly more aggressive plan.

meatpimp posted:

University preparing you chat -- School did absolutely nothing to prepare me for what an actual job was.

IKEA chat -- They are making one within 2 miles of my house. I have never been to IKEA, but I've heard a lot from all over. I'm a little bit excited and a little bit scared.
Completely true about university versus actual job, doesn't help my degree isn't that related to what I do. If anything college helped me learn time management a bit better and some financial stuff (business minor). IKEA, if there was one closer I would have spent a poo poo load there. Closest one is a few hours so I haven't bought anything there yet. Thanks to donated furniture from an old neighbor I haven't had to buy poo poo.

88h88 posted:

October chat: Just organising a pizza party at mine. Also just ordered a power rack and some weights for the garage. The weights may be to counteract the effects of pizza...
Garage gym is great to have. Been stuck with a hotel gym the last two weeks and I'm going nuts, if I do another trip out here I might just sign up for Golds or something.

Bajaha posted:

Surprised they didn't default to this as soon as it popped up. That seems to be the big buzzword the last year or two for anything, stupid as hell.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Bajaha posted:

Goon-gate.

You're welcome.

:colbert:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

They're also literally :10bux:. Really not bad in the grand scheme of things.

Seriously I've got like 4 of those stupid tables because I just went crazy when I bought my condo.

I loving love IKEA just because you can get a lot of stuff that is minimalist with relatively inoffensive styling that is impossible to find anywhere else. The price is just icing on the cake at that point.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Seriously I've got like 4 of those stupid tables because I just went crazy when I bought my condo.

I loving love IKEA just because you can get a lot of stuff that is minimalist with relatively inoffensive styling that is impossible to find anywhere else. The price is just icing on the cake at that point.

Plus $0.75 hot dogs.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

I was gonna go outside and work on the car, but I think disturbing these two is a felony.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Garage gym is great to have. Been stuck with a hotel gym the last two weeks and I'm going nuts, if I do another trip out here I might just sign up for Golds or something.

Hotel gyms rarely have any actual weights worth a drat. Though the last place I stayed at had a bunch of cable machines that I bodged with various other bits of gym to give myself a workout that wasn't too bad.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

I was gonna go outside and work on the car, but I think disturbing these two is a felony.
Baww :3: Our house has the Kitty Rule, whereby if your ability to rise from your seated and/or prone position would disturb a cat of any kind, you may ask an individual whose ability to rise from a seated and/or prone position would not disturb any cats to fulfill a reasonable request ("more beer, please" for instance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Pocket air horns work for the people lazy enough to bounce that one right back

• Locked thread