Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AP posted:

And miss Citizen Con?

No, CIG will gradually break the bad news over time.

We might have to cut the odd feature to release early, we are going to stream line the studios, you'll be happy to hear that progress is going ahead despite some problems with the more expensive elements. Due to gameplay improvements we've decided to cut some ships and modules that weren't needed from the initial release. As you know funding has been an issue for some time, so due to popular demand we're going to reissue Towels you can purchase. Space games continue to be a niche market and with the funding declining, due to your lack of commitment and faith, we are going to switch to a more movie/game focus. The game element of the project just isn't working out but Blu-Ray copies of Around the Verse season 4 are now available in the store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd5tpFX3_xA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I bet he just assumed that because his own people can turn around a ship sale in three hours that other entities would work the same way. And what the gently caress was he doing spending 8 hours writing that pile of poo poo?

If you look at it as 8 hours he wasn't calling some poor dev an idiot or asking them to redo 5 months of work because of cargo pants, it was 8 hours well spent.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Agrajag posted:

Sadly the concept of budgeting and finances is anathema to the types that willingly part with large sums of cash based on flimsy business plans (or lack thereof) and purchasing things based on a flimsy promise of delivering "something" that is completely divorced from the reality.

I work in property development and looking at the whole kickstarter model of funding and the hilariously bad "business plans" that can be summed up in a short youtube video and a few .jpgs of sketches is hilarious.

Like gently caress man the monthly project updates on a loving ongoing project I deal with is a gigantic booklet that is delivered to us from the construction company in which contains a line by line breakdown of material costs, cost overruns, projected budgets and a tally month over month over various item etc. When I look at how kickstarter/crowdfunding models, and how they do things with proposals and updates, I just laugh at the amount of foolish people drinking up the kool-aid who think they are playing VC with their own cash.

Hey here's a clue: buying something before it is made in which you have no control of overseeing or redressing the quality of, is dumb.

Take this for an example on how the real world works: if something isn't built to specifications, after one of our construction engineers go onsite to look it over, we withold funds till that poo poo is fixed because that is how you get things done. Now look at kickstarter/crowdfunding, yeah. It's no big surprise when you basically hand all the cash over to a group on the promise to deliver something and the ultimately they don't, or deliver something that falls far short of what was promised.

I am looking forward to the cook at Burger King telling me how he can give a precise estimate plus minus 5 seconds on how long it takes him to cook a burger and how that makes him an expert on evaluating software project overruns

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I bet he just assumed that because his own people can turn around a ship sale in three hours that other entities would work the same way. And what the gently caress was he doing spending 8 hours writing that pile of poo poo?

Stalking on twitter for good quotes of-course

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
He is kinda creepy doing that.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SirTagz posted:

I am looking forward to the cook at Burger King telling me how he can give a precise estimate plus minus 5 seconds on how long it takes him to cook a burger and how that makes him an expert on evaluating software project overruns

Congrats, you completely miss the point. It's the fact that you are handing over money to these crowdfunding schemes when you have no clue how badly they will ultimately not know how to budget their funds because hey they already got all they asked for in full.

edit: youre loving dumb

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 2, 2015

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SirTagz posted:

You seem to misunderstand project management.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Xaerael posted:

The box art for the game HAS BEEN LEAKED. Don't get too hyped too quickly, but I think this is a game changer... I'm probably taking back all my dissent.

Image behind spoiler so I don't ruin it for everyone.

The game actually looks fun now! :v:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

AP posted:

Chris Roberts sent his response in time, he just forgot to include the Escapist on the email from what I can make out. Sounds like David Swofford had to forward the reply to them when he noticed.

Even better.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

And what the gently caress was he doing spending 8 hours writing that pile of poo poo?

He went face down in a pile of coke, 7 1/2 hrs later realised he'd better actually do something.

lauresh
Jun 1, 2013

What are we having for dinner?
For those interested I'll be selling tshirts with "Derek Smart was right" on them in the future. I currently have concept art on sale for $15,000 each.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

SirTagz posted:

I keep returning to December 2013, the DFM had been promised before the end of the year and Chris Roberts left it until the 16th of December to tell everyone, actually no, not happening. It didn't ship to everyone for another 8 months though a few people got it 2 months earlier.

I've said this several times before, he knew weeks/months in advance it wasn't going to ship and he kept that secret so he didn't gently caress up the "end of LTI" (lol) sale in November 2013.

The dude is flat out dishonest and I don't see why anyone believes anything he says at this point. Now it's possible that someone dishonest can release an expensive game even with a drama queen wife being nasty to everyone, it's still possible to do that, they just need a lot of money and time. Star Citizen backers appear willing to give him as much time as he wants, but if it's true they are running out of money, they are completely hosed.

AP fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 2, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

A self-described "eccentric and vocal personality",[16] Smart is renowned for lengthy and aggressive online responses to perceived criticism.[17] Computer Games Magazine wrote that "over time, his reputation as an online defender of his games and unabashed pistol-whipper of his enemies overshadows the games themselves."[18] In an interview which was featured on the cover page of Computer Gaming World, Smart said of his online persona: "Sometimes when I get online, and it's quiet, and I see something that attracts my attention, I'll post just to piss these guys off. That's why I do it. Because I'm in a good mood that day, I go in there and I start trouble."[17] A 2012 in-depth article regarding the disconnect between his real-life and online alter-ego was authored by media veteran Russ Pitts and published by The Verge.[19]

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

dreams are happening now

why do these nerds care so much about space sims anyways

they're ok at best

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Eve Online is pretty much the only good space sim and then you can't really pilot the ships since you're one dude piloting a ship that's 7km long

and that game is full of the worst kind of nerds

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

quote:

I am going to go with the one who shows their sources. The Escapist won't show theirs, and the fact that the article reads like it was written by Derek Smart tells me all I need to know about who their source is. Chris Roberts and all of the people at CIG are a much more valid source than anything that smells as if it's been tainted by Derek Smart. This is not the first time I've seen a self-important twat on the internet trying to spread drama for the purposes of advancing their own career.

Welp, every cult has to have their boogeyman, and while not quite Satan I guess Derek Smart just works for them.

lauresh
Jun 1, 2013

Tusen Takk posted:

Eve Online is pretty much the only good space sim and then you can't really pilot the ships since you're one dude piloting a ship that's 7km long

space coffin best coffin

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

IronicDongz posted:

they're ok at best

i can only assume the high point in their lives was playing descent/wing commander

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

they're ok at best

also, PC gaming isn't dead. And I have no idea why they keep saying that.

Agrajag posted:

i can only assume the high point in their lives was playing descent/wing commander

Far as I can gather, the X-Wing games, and especially TIE-Fighter were much better than the Wing Commander series.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The fondest memories I have of Eve Online, a Space Simulation game, is from scamming pubbies out of billions of ISK

if Star Citizen ever launches then it would probably be the same

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

EVE is the second-best game I've never played.

The first is Dwarf Fortress.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

lauresh posted:

For those interested I'll be selling tshirts with "Derek Smart was right" on them in the future. I currently have concept art on sale for $15,000 each.

is that just for one or is it a package deal for all future concepts and imaginings as well?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The best part about this whole mess is that in response to allegations that Chris Roberts is a micro-managing control freak who can't delegate and is mismanaging the program into the ground he drops everything to spend an entire workday creeping Twitter.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
There might be a few fireworks when the Star Citizen reddit finds out that the person who wrote the Escapist piece is a goon.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

I'd just like to say, I enjoy occasionally dropping into this thread to see bitter nerds shambling about. I missed the bomb blast, but I'm here for the afterparty!

I'll be the first one in line if SC turns out to be a good game. I'm not following development closely anymore, so I have nothing to be mad about (also, I'm net positive $ on internet spaceships). I'm too busy with life/work, and playing other video games when I have time.

Just to be honest, playing AC didn't really do it for me. Lots of cool systems, and great thought went into it obviously, but it just doesn't do it for me like the X-Wing games or Freespace did.

Beer, I still have that Caterpillar you sold me, and it's my anchor into SC. :v:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tusen Takk posted:

The fondest memories I have of Eve Online, a Space Simulation game, is from scamming pubbies out of billions of ISK

if Star Citizen ever launches then it would probably be the same

EVE Online remains one of my fondest gaming experiences. The feeling that it was real and consequential was amazing. Pity the gameplay is so loving boring.

lauresh
Jun 1, 2013

brakanjan posted:

is that just for one or is it a package deal for all future concepts and imaginings as well?

I'll be selling packages later but totally not with LTI unless I feel like it in which case the sales will have LTI.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

EVE Online remains one of my fondest gaming experiences. The feeling that it was real and consequential was amazing. Pity the gameplay is so loving boring.
Yeah, you either sat docked up waiting for a fleet, sat on a gate waiting for a pubbie, or sat orbiting a POS shooting at the shields.

Scamming, scamming made you feel alive

AP posted:

There might be a few fireworks when the Star Citizen reddit finds out that the person who wrote the Escapist piece is a goon.
Please please please make this known as soon as possible :allears:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stalkerr posted:

I'd just like to say, I enjoy occasionally dropping into this thread to see bitter nerds shambling about. I missed the bomb blast, but I'm here for the afterparty!

I'll be the first one in line if SC turns out to be a good game. I'm not following development closely anymore, so I have nothing to be mad about (also, I'm net positive $ on internet spaceships). I'm too busy with life/work, and playing other video games when I have time.

Just to be honest, playing AC didn't really do it for me. Lots of cool systems, and great thought went into it obviously, but it just doesn't do it for me like the X-Wing games or Freespace did.

Beer, I still have that Caterpillar you sold me, and it's my anchor into SC. :v:

The reason I'm still here is because this whole experience has been fascinating. The rage, the drama, people spending more money in response to an article about how CIG is wasting it, it's an amazing deep dive into humanity. The game itself loving sucks. AC is an abortion, the social module is basically WoW in space with fewer emotes, and frankly the emphasis on mini-games that the PU seems to be going for holds no interest for me. But the phenomena? Incredible.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

AP posted:

I keep returning to December 2013, the DFM had been promised before the end of the year and Chris Roberts left it until the 16th of December to tell everyone, actually no, not happening. It didn't ship to everyone for another 8 months though a few people got it 2 months earlier.

I've said this several times before, he knew weeks/months in advance it wasn't going to ship and he kept that secret so he didn't gently caress up the "end of LTI" (lol) sale in November 2013.

The dude is flat out dishonest and I don't see why anyone believes anything he says at this point. Now it's possible that someone dishonest can release an expensive game even with a drama queen wife being nasty to everyone, it's still possible to do that, they just need a lot of money and time. Star Citizen backers appear willing to give him as much time as he wants, but if it's true they are running out of money, they are completely hosed.

I just had an overly emotional reaction to a guy who equates printing out reports from construction cost estimate software to giving estimates about developing complex software components.

CR's problem is that he keeps moving his own goalposts. That makes him a lovely manager and a tease but I do not believe he is deliberately dishonest at the time he gives these hosed up estimates.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The best part about this whole mess is that in response to allegations that Chris Roberts is a micro-managing control freak who can't delegate and is mismanaging the program into the ground he drops everything to spend an entire workday creeping Twitter.

Y'see that's the bit that tickles me, too. He also seems to be completely unaware that this kind of article is intended to shake the trees, and that the worst thing you can do is hit 'send' on a rant that you completed at 5am.

This isn't really over and two inflammatory people are involved.

AP posted:

Third section in on the 'adulation of chairman Roberts', just under his rant.

SirTagz posted:

I just had an overly emotional reaction to a guy who equates printing out reports from construction cost estimate software to giving estimates about developing complex software components.

CR's problem is that he keeps moving his own goalposts. That makes him a lovely manager and a tease but I do not believe he is deliberately dishonest at the time he gives these hosed up estimates.

The goal of project management is to avoid the overruns in cost and time that blow out the project budget, mainly by loving up the critical path. It requires a couple of things; An accurate idea of what the finished product will be, and the various costs and resources that it will take to get there. It doesn't really matter what the end product actually is, because it still operates on the concept of materials and labor, and the critical path.

Now that you have a bare understanding of what that involves, if their critical path indicated that the DFM would be complete at a point, why shift tracks and the entire plan to complete a different thing? Where are their promised deadlines coming from? How far are they off completion of anything? Are they really now running at an 8-12 month deficit, and are they engaging in a ponzi because their budget doesn't cover the rest of the planning?

If, as you assert, Croberts is the _project manager_, then he's loving terrible at it, simply because of the overruns, changing the critical focus in mid-stream and clouding the issues with various pronouncements about how people have no idea what's going on, other than they're still selling assets for a game that still does not exist in a world that is rapidly tiring of the crowdfunding promises.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 2, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Randarkman posted:

also, PC gaming isn't dead. And I have no idea why they keep saying that.
because they only care about spaceships and it doesn't matter to them that indie gaming outside of crowdfunded shitshows like SC is the best it has been in a long time

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

so really all of this is good for SC because it kept him away from the project for 8+ hours

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CR is the epitome of a hyper-optimistic nerd who genuinely believes they may be able to salvage something that is totally unsalvageable

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I just sent my refund request in.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SirTagz posted:

No you didn't, you compared project management to flipping burgers.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

AP posted:

And miss Citizen Con?

No, CIG will gradually break the bad news over time.

We might have to cut the odd feature to release early, we are going to stream line the studios, you'll be happy to hear that progress is going ahead despite some problems with the more expensive elements. Due to gameplay improvements we've decided to cut some ships and modules that weren't needed from the initial release. As you know funding has been an issue for some time, so due to popular demand we're going to reissue Towels you can purchase. Space games continue to be a niche market and with the funding declining, due to your lack of commitment and faith, we are going to switch to a more movie/game focus. The game element of the project just isn't working out but Blu-Ray copies of Around the Verse season 4 are now available in the store.

That's probably what will happen. If it doesn't crash and burn in the next week.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
The $90M crash of Star Citizen

quote:

As it happens, I have been casually acquainted with Chris Roberts since the Wing Commander days and I consider him to be one of the game design greats. Along with Richard Garriott, John Romero, and Steve Fawkner, he is one of my game design heroes. I don't merely like and respect Chris, I look up to him. The five or six hours I spent talking with him, John Romero, and Epic's current audio director over drinks at the Santa Clara Westin one evening was one of the most fascinating, informative, and educational experiences of my life... and Chris paid the entire $700+ bill himself. I am still an Origin fan and Wing Commander is one of my all-time favorite games; I even gave Ender a fancy joystick last Christmas just so he could play through the first two games and the secret missions, which he greatly enjoyed doing. I was absolutely delighted when I heard that Star Citizen was in the works.

As it happens, I also had the responsibility of going through Chris's plans in great detail when Star Citizen was still a Wing Commander reboot with a license from EA and a $25M budget. I ran into one of the guys from the fund this summer and we talked about whether the top man's decision to reject it had been a mistake in light of Chris's unprecedented crowdsourcing success; it is now looking as if the decision to not fund the game may have been the right call after all. I strongly recommended that we do it; I still think that an updated Wing Commander would have been hugely successful as it was originally conceived.

At one point, Chris and I even discussed the idea of Star Citizen making use of my Psy-AI design for wingmen, but I didn't seriously pursue it, partly because I couldn't tell if Chris's interest was genuine or if he was simply being polite, and partly because the new game was bigger in scope and I didn't see the focus being on wingmen the way it was in Wing Commander. And as time has gone on, and the scope of the project continued to grow, my dev-spidey sense began to twitch just like every other experienced producer's has even though I wasn't paying close attention to it anymore.

“Without disrespect to anyone, I’m just going to say it: it is my opinion that, this game, as has been pitched, will never get made. Ever. There isn’t a single publisher or developer on this planet who could build this game as pitched, let alone for anything less than $150 million. The original vision which I backed in 2012? Yes, that was totally doable. This new vision? Not a chance. The technical scope of this game surpasses GTAV, not to mention the likes of Halo. Do you have any idea what those games cost to make and how long they took? Do you know how many games which cost $50 million to make took almost five years to release? And they were nowhere [as big] in scope as Star Citizen?”
- Derek Smart, 6 July 2015

Every producer and executive producer knows the feeling of a project that is beginning to slip its date. And every producer and executive producer learns to distinguish between a game that is going to be late and a game that is simply never going to be the game it was promised to be. Unfortunately, when seen from the outside at this point, Star Citizen could not look more like the latter if it was called Battlecruiser 2015 AD.

Derek Smart has a reputation for spectacular failure in the industry, but it's not really a fair one, and more importantly, that particular failure took place a long time ago. Nor was it anywhere nearly as bad as most people who have only heard about it secondhand tend to believe. And one very significant thing that the Star Citizen defenders are neglecting to note is that besides David Braben, there is no one in the industry who is better suited to recognize the danger signs of a large-scale space combat development project going awry than Derek. Now others are starting to look more closely into the situation, Forbes, for one, and unfortunately, Chris Roberts's response to Smart's observations and Finnigan's article sounds a lot more like messenger-killing than allaying what increasingly appear to be substantive fears for what has become a gargantuan project.

The problem, I suspect, is not uncommon in the game industry. Chris is a visionary and a brilliant game designer. He is not a producer despite having successfully produced games in the past. But as too many developers have done before him, he appears to have effectively combined the lead designer's role with the lead producer's role into a single Game Director's role for which he and many other designers - including me - are temperamentally unsuited, and as a consequence the project appears to have gone off the rails as a direct result of too much money combined with too many good ideas and too little focus on actually implementing those ideas and getting things done.

One thing game developers scraping by and wishing for more resources need to recognize is that funding is as much problem as panacea. Just as the crude state of early graphics technology partially dictated the gameplay and made it easier to focus by virtue of its limitations, a lack of money forces the development focus that is always needed to complete a project. Too much money means no strict externally imposed limitations, and if those limitations are not internally imposed by the producer, the project will tend to grow in scope and scale before collapsing.

I sincerely hope that's not the case with Star Citizen. The success of Star Citizen after such a brilliant crowdfunding campaign would be absolutely wonderful for the entire industry and could launch a much-needed new era of creativity and innovation. The success of Star Citizen is in the material interest of every professional game developer. But after more than two decades in the game industry, I've learned to recognize the danger signs of a derailing development project and more than a few of them are observable around RSI of late.

Above is very interesting, I wonder who else is going to start talking now.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

AP posted:

The $90M crash of Star Citizen

Above is very interesting, I wonder who else is going to start talking now.

Sandi Roberts looks at the damage done by her husband, pushes him aside from the computer and starts typing. Typing the letter that will calm the internet, the letter that will inspire more people to join the cult.

"Rabid Puppies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Randarkman posted:

No you didn't, you compared project management to flipping burgers.

Actually I compared pressing a button and printing out a 'gigantic booklet containing a line by line breakdown of material costs, cost overruns, projected budgets and a tally month over month over various item etc' to flipping a burger

• Locked thread