Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

Ramc posted:

That guy who did the Wreck of the Idris Fitzgerald did a cover of Hurt about Derek Smart back in July when we hard the Smart Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEuY6-UM8VI

There's actually a new video by him uploaded just today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WL5MX1Co8

It's :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Just caught up with the thread (drat, this moved fast in the last day!).

The only thing I wanted from this game was to be a space Cannibal and properly gank entitled space persons out of their limbs in deep space. Maybe dabbling in smuggling said limbs to eager Alien Civilizations as exotic space foodstuff.
Barring that, I will gladly settle with the project failing spectacularly and dying in the most schadenfreudish, drama filled manner for everyone involved.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hammerstein posted:

Nah, I mean I love to laugh about the current fiasco just as much as any goon while egging Derek Smart on, but the writer of this article does not understand the context of the whole thing, otherwise he would not describe the WC series so underwhelmingly.

I'm in my 30ies now and back then, when I played Wing Commander and later Strike Commander on my first pc (a 386 and later a 486 and Strike Commander didn't really become "good" until you had at least a Pentium), these were incredibly impressive games. Wing Commander was one of the main reasons to be a pc gamer in the early 90ies and there were only few games which came close in popularity, like Indy and the Fate of Atlantis, the Monkey Island Saga or Ultima VII. If you weren't a teen or maybe in your twens back then, then you won't understand what this game did for the pc gaming crowd.

Thing is that the most rabid backers are now in the 30 and 40+ crowd and have probably played Wing Commander, Strike Commander and Privateer and this holy trinity is the reason why they believe in CR. It's the Lucas effect, just because someone did something awesome many years ago (and was influenced by a great team), does not mean he can do it again, this time as the god-king of the empire of man-children.

Tl, dr,: Wing Commander, Strike Commander and Privateer were incredible games back then and the thick haze of nostalgia clouds the mind of many.

He still has a very valid point: those games were incredible due to their presentation. I think I said this in the old thread too: they had visual production quality that hadn't been seen before, but a large part of this was due to them pushing the envelope of what hardware could actually do, often to the point of not really being playable on available computers on release. The problem is that it wasn't game design or a core idea that kept them from happening sooner — only feasibility.

Strike Commander was horrible as flight sim; the WC series was laughably simplistic in terms of space fighting; the storylines were the most generic imaginable. Once it became possible to make these games and have them run on regular hardware, they were all instantly surpassed in the presentation area just as much as they were in terms of gameplay and concept.

If you've ever gone back to an old move that was bland in every way except for the having really good VFX for the time, it's the same thing: it no longer has neat VFX, even in comparison because a year later everyone was doing the same, and now it's just bland in every way.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hammerstein posted:

Tl, dr,: Wing Commander, Strike Commander and Privateer were incredible games back then and the thick haze of nostalgia clouds the mind of many.

But see that was a good summary of why people have trust- if I were a 20-something or a teen-something I'd probably be asking that question and find the answer very interesting. The problem is that the first two-dozen answers were just people crapping on the poster for having the temerity to question almighty Croberts. When questions like "Who is this guy? Why do you all trust him?" are met with intense suspicion and hostility, it kind of goes a long way towards illustrating the turn the sub (and community as a whole?) has taken in the last 4 or 5 months. Meaningful discussion has been replaced with witch hunting and intense, almost religious devotion. Reality-based arguments for the game coming out/not coming out have been replaced by assertions of belief, as though this project will succeed if enough people just send enough good vibes to the devs.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Omni, source your stupid grog quotes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Bialystock Space Industries

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Sarsapariller posted:

But see that was a good summary of why people have trust- if I were a 20-something or a teen-something I'd probably be asking that question and find the answer very interesting. The problem is that the first two-dozen answers were just people crapping on the poster for having the temerity to question almighty Croberts. When questions like "Who is this guy? Why do you all trust him?" are met with intense suspicion and hostility, it kind of goes a long way towards illustrating the turn the sub (and community as a whole?) has taken in the last 4 or 5 months. Meaningful discussion has been replaced with witch hunting and intense, almost religious devotion. Reality-based arguments for the game coming out/not coming out have been replaced by assertions of belief, as though this project will succeed if enough people just send enough good vibes to the devs.

and money, lots and lots of money.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Omni, source your stupid grog quotes.

It's Onmi you gently caress

I did. I told you who wrote it. Unless you mean the grog quotes related to Star Citizen, which is what this thread is about. In that case, I'm getting them from my friend, who's laughing his head off at the insanity of them, I can ask him where he got them from if you really want to know.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Dante80 posted:

Just caught up with the thread (drat, this moved fast in the last day!).

The only thing I wanted from this game was to be a space Cannibal and properly gank entitled space persons out of their limbs in deep space. Maybe dabbling in smuggling said limbs to eager Alien Civilizations as exotic space foodstuff.
Barring that, I will gladly settle with the project failing spectacularly and dying in the most schadenfreudish, drama filled manner for everyone involved.

even if this was made it would be the most carebear poo poo ever

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Tippis posted:

He still has a very valid point: those games were incredible due to their presentation. I think I said this in the old thread too: they had visual production quality that hadn't been seen before, but a large part of this was due to them pushing the envelope of what hardware could actually do, often to the point of not really being playable on available computers on release. The problem is that it wasn't game design or a core idea that kept them from happening sooner — only feasibility.

Strike Commander was horrible as flight sim; the WC series was laughably simplistic in terms of space fighting; the storylines were the most generic imaginable. Once it became possible to make these games and have them run on regular hardware, they were all instantly surpassed in the presentation area just as much as they were in terms of gameplay and concept.

If you've ever gone back to an old move that was bland in every way except for the having really good VFX for the time, it's the same thing: it no longer has neat VFX, even in comparison because a year later everyone was doing the same, and now it's just bland in every way.

Thing is that the presentation and the game were the same thing, because what made these games so incredible is that one thing flowed into the other, something that no other game had done back in 1990.

You didn't get a written briefing, you actually had your avatar sit there and get personally addressed by the squadron commander. You had animated pictures of your wingmen pop up on the cockpit screens when they talked. You didn't just land, but got chewed out by the deck crew if you took many hits. You went to the barracks to save your game and talked to other pilots in the cantina....plus you had a campaign which branched out and gave you different missions depending on the success or failure of the last mission and each completed sector showed you the broader scope of your accomplishments in a cut scene. This was huge, even today most games just greet you with a "Retry" or "Game Over" screen if you fail a mission.

Wing Commander was a glimpse of genius and this is why I'm throwing my panties in such a fit about the article. Since it's unfair to call the game out over it's "Hollywood story" when it was actually a giant leap in blurring the lines between a game, a movie and an interactive story. And that all with VGA graphics and less than 4 MB of Ram. And he also does not understand that for 1990 the space part was actually incredible, with different ship classes, capital ships, various mission types and so on. The AI of the Kilrathi aces is the best example for the high quality. We had Red Baron in the same year and the dogfights in WC compared favourably to that classic. And this trend of rock-solid gameplay with little infuriating bullshit continued from I-V, it's really nonsense to call it "simple".

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 2, 2015

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Have we posted all the CIG blurbs on their website already, three more since the other two got published.

Allie
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5681728/#Comment_5681728

Hi there Guys

My name is Allie (otherwise known as Allie-C or the other Allie)

I just wanted to add my 2 cents into this debate. I have to be upfront, I wasn't a fan when I joined this company. I knew who Chris was and had played Freelancer when it came out. However my gaming days diminished once I found music (concerts are expensive y’all). However working at the company has made me fan as passionate as you guys out there.

Seeing what I get to see and being here with the team, you can’t help but become a major believer in this project. There is nothing but a lot of love and mutual respect within this team. That goes for CS and community guys, right up to the top. When I first came to this company I was a kid straight out of uni and it was the support and the encouragement that I got, that has allowed me to grow in confidence. From Sandi who trained me to the other CS guys, it’s always been nothing but support. I was just as excited you all were to meet them in person when we headed over to Gamescom. So trust me, when I say, my gaming days are back.

So I just want to close with a thank you to all the backers who have been just as awesome and welcoming. Your belief is overwhelming and you make our job a joy.

See you out there Citizens o7.

Patrick Probst
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5681195/#Comment_5681195

„This is bullshit“

A true visionary once said this. I don’t think there is a statement more fitting in describing what has been going on lately. Most recent developments more so than ever.

I think it is safe to say that due to our phenomenal size, we have attracted the attention of people who have no interest in whether Star Citizen gets made or not. These people are only interested in seeing things burn and vindicating themselves.

I am truly blessed and fortunate to be an OB who has made it to the ‘inside’.

As a backer who gets to have a long and hard look behind that curtain, I can say, I am not worried.

In my year here at Star Citizen, I have come across nothing but the hardest working, dedicated and most genuinely passionate people.

Not only is it an utter privilege and honour to be allowed to work alongside such people, but it is also the most fun I have ever had in my life.

From every angle Cloud Imperium Games has given me nothing but an open ear, respect and the feeling of being truly valued.
I have been working Customer Service for a long time now, and in no other company is an often neglected part of the business such as CS, valued as highly as it is here at CIG.

Here even the most junior member can make a real difference.

Erin, Chris and Sandi have nothing done nothing but give us the utmost support to ensure we’re able to take care of our backers. Anyone having worked in this field will know how unprecedented this is.

I work in an environment in which I am supported, valued and respected - companywide with no exceptions.

There is not a day I don’t wake up excited and happy to go to work with CIG.

I know you guys get worried sometimes.

Just don’t forget why you clicked ‘Pledge’ way back when – remember the reason?

The Dream of Star Citizen. That’s why.

Despite everything that has gone on, this is the one thing which has not changed and will not change.

Haters will hate.

People who don’t want to see, will not.

Unfortunately, this will also never change.

I re-pledge my complete and utter support for our Chairman, Star Citizen and our backers. No hesitations. No doubts.

- Patrick Probst

Mike
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5680600/#Comment_5680600

I try not to go on too much but I feel as though I need to say something as well.

Speaking as a Kickstarter backer and personal fan of Chris and Erin's work from as far back as it goes, it has been nothing less than an honour and privilege to work with and for Sandi. Few people have as much passion and dedication for this project as she does and it shows daily. I feel proud to be a part, however small, of this amazing team and overwhelmed by the support and raw enthusiasm I see from my colleagues. I simply cannot fathom why and how anyone would want to negatively impact this effort or make personal remarks.

I'd like to personally thank the community, chatroll and all the backers that are in this with us to the end (and beyond).

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

spacetoaster posted:

WE'RE NOT YOUR GOONS! :supaburn:

Do you have to be so bloody thin skinned?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Someone needs to go through these to see if there's a cipher begging for help.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Counterpoint: wing commander was an average game at best

I think there's probably something to the way that people with sexual fetishes will accept art of a quality that anyone else would find completely unacceptable, and maybe even that it is a universalism applicable to more than just concepts of a sexual nature. Like maybe scifi fans aren't really capable of or interested in objectively critiquing the quality of scifi as long as it hits that particular spot in their brain. Makes you think

Source: anyone who has ever read Time Enough for Love or any piers anthony

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Onmi posted:

Someone needs to go through these to see if there's a cipher begging for help.

I think, if anyone blinks a morse coded "SOS, we are being tortured" it will be in todays RtV.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Star Citizen: Your belief is overwhelming

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Holy poo poo this guy. Has an entire loving book about "SJWs" and openly admits to doxxing anyone who writes bad reviews. I think I remember reading something of his years ago and never knew he was such a twat.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

GRRM is completely correct about that entire Hugo event and also his side won, which was the correct side. Also is this title cancelled yet? Otherwise the thread title is misleading and should be changed.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Holy poo poo this guy. Has an entire loving book about "SJWs" and openly admits to doxxing anyone who writes bad reviews. I think I remember reading something of his years ago and never knew he was such a twat.

I didn't know and would like to offer my sincere apologies, there was something about SF writers having lots of dogs too, but I didn't understand it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nonsense posted:

GRRM is completely correct about that entire Hugo event and also his side won, which was the correct side. Also is this title cancelled yet? Otherwise the thread title is misleading and should be changed.

If by won you mean "Burned down their own club house and the Sad Puppies will be back for the next year so they didn't do anything but prove them right" then yeah, knocked it out of the park.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Maybe we can get the Bitcoiners in on this slapfest and make it a bingo!

And then bar the doors.

And then set the slapfest alight.

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012
While I wait for my refund, can anyone give me few recommendations for a stick to use with Elite Dangerous?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

AP posted:

I didn't know and would like to offer my sincere apologies, there was something about SF writers having lots of dogs too, but I didn't understand it.

as someone who also does their utmost to stay out of the retarded culture wars of the day, it's really fascinating to me when stuff like this happens

like there's this whole other stupid world out there, just beneath the surface..like a spooky ghost

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Tarranon posted:

as someone who also does their utmost to stay out of the retarded culture wars of the day, it's really fascinating to me when stuff like this happens

like there's this whole other stupid world out there, just beneath the surface..like a spooky ghost

They are pretty poo poo.

But lets keep them out of this thread because this is the bad star citizen thread's moment of glory.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
so what do you all make of the people coming out and saying everything is fine

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Adventure Pigeon posted:

They are pretty poo poo.

But lets keep them out of this thread because this is the bad star citizen thread's moment of glory.

I just don't understand how you become so obsessed with something to defend it to the death like this. Especially since it's not like Space Sim is lacking for content.

Nation posted:

so what do you all make of the people coming out and saying everything is fine

Reminds me of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7sE0agEVNg

I have awful comedy taste

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

PseudoFaux posted:

While I wait for my refund, can anyone give me few recommendations for a stick to use with Elite Dangerous?
I've really liked this one.

If the Warthog had Z-axis support, I'd have gone that route. But this one has held up well and, with the IR track master, gives you a pretty good feeling of (forgive me) immersion.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Onmi posted:

I just don't understand how you become so obsessed with something to defend it to the death like this. Especially since it's not like Space Sim is lacking for content.

He's not defending anything, he just wants to change the subject to something that's not a boring as balls derail. If this was TBB, all this stuff about the Hugos would be interesting, but here it's really out of place - all we needed to know was that Vox is a dumb rear end in a top hat, the rest is just political junk that most in the thread either don't care about or don't have remotely enough context for it to matter to them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Good Dumplings posted:

He's not defending anything, he just wants to change the subject to something that's not a boring as balls derail. If this was TBB, all this stuff about the Hugos would be interesting, but here it's really out of place - all we needed to know was that Vox is a dumb rear end in a top hat, the rest is just political junk that most in the thread either doesn't care about or doesn't have remotely enough context to care.

No. Idiot. I was talking about Star Citizen.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Welp. I think I made a huge mistake. I was going to try to get a refund like all the smart goons in this thread, but then I heard that it would be wise to wait after Citizen Con when nerds are the most excited, and then sell my LTI whatever-pirate ship package for more than I bought then. Then this drama drops right in the middle.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hammerstein posted:

Thing is that the presentation and the game were the same thing, because what made these games so incredible is that one thing flowed into the other, something that no other game had done back in 1990. :words:

…but again, it was only presentation. The actual gameplay, as neatly presented as it was, was entirely meh. The branching cinematic structure wasn't new either, but rather borrowed from the likes of Cinemaware — hell, it was the name of the company. What they did at Origin was to merge that with something slightly more complex than a static-screen minigame, which I'll admit was kind of neat neat.

But at the same time, actual dynamic gameplay, as opposed to canned branches, was plentiful in the (flight)sim genre, which had far better actual gameplay (and AI) to boot. The real difference is that the simplified gameplay and the spiffy presentation offered by the *Commander games made watered-down versions of those sims more approachable to a general public (if they had the next-gen computers to run them). By the time system of that could run those games were commonplace, other games were out that did the same thing better. Often, they were better by virtue of cutting down on the cinematic stuff and focusing on gameplay…

The guy who posted that question simply didn't have the nostalgia filter that allowed presentation to drown out a mediocre gameplay — even compared to the games' contemporaries. He accurately pinpoints the one thing that made the games stand out but which, funnily enough, also makes them less impressive in the long run. They were only incredible in that they were the first to offer that presentation, and they were only the first because most developer aimed at a more sensible platform.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Onmi posted:

No. Idiot. I was talking about Star Citizen.

Well, fucker, why are you talking about the Hugos? Eh? Answer that one, genius.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Can anyone get me a high quality photo or video of Chris Roberts from directly head-on? I have a terrible terrible idea.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I heard this is the place to plan the next attack on Star Citizen with Derek Smart and the mastermind Beer4TheBeerGod, is that right?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

PseudoFaux posted:

Mouse and keyboard is a pretty good stick. :v:

Budget wise: the Thrustmaster TFlight X is a half decent HOTAS for the price, but it uses pots instead of hall effect sensors, so it can have deadzone issues. The Thrustmaster T16000m and the Defender Cobra M5 are both decent budget sticks (they use hall sensors like more expensive sticks, this makes them very accurate), but they don't come with a separate throttle.

CH products are the pro choice, but their sticks don't have a twist axis.

Saitek X52 pro is okay if you can get hold of one. Don't get an X55, they explode on contact with air.

Go Warthog if you want to spend $TEXAS$.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 2, 2015

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
how the gently caress do i calibrate my joystick properly for elite dangerous

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Good Dumplings posted:

Well, fucker, why are you talking about the Hugos? Eh? Answer that one, genius.

In the post you quoted, where did I mention the Hugos?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 2, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
EDIT: nm I'm not derailing this further.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 2, 2015

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
The awkward starts
http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The Kins posted:

Maybe we can get the Bitcoiners in on this slapfest and make it a bingo!

And then bar the doors.

And then set the slapfest alight.

You missed out on Seraph84, which combined the bitcoiner/Star Citizen/Pedobear trifecta.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Welp. I think I made a huge mistake. I was going to try to get a refund like all the smart goons in this thread, but then I heard that it would be wise to wait after Citizen Con when nerds are the most excited, and then sell my LTI whatever-pirate ship package for more than I bought then. Then this drama drops right in the middle.

The pirate pack with a cutlass doesn't sell for poo poo because the Cutlass is awful and no one wants one. So even before this blew up, it wasn't going to move.

• Locked thread