Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
This is my final effort post in summary of the UK accounts situation.

Under UK law (Companies Act 2006) all UK registered companies must file a number of documents with the agency known as Companies House. These documents are all public records.

A company must file a set of their accounts within nine months of their registered financial year end (or if it is their first set of accounts, they have 21 months from incorporation).

Failure to file documents is considered a strict liability. Eg: Were the accounts filed? Yes/No. If the answer is no, the company itself is fined.

Failure to deliver documents is a criminal offence. All the directors of the company risk prosecution. On conviction, a director could end up with a criminal record and a potentially unlimited fine for each offence. This is separate from the civil penalty imposed on the company for late filing of accounts.

Prosecution of directors and the timeline can vary massively and there is no definitive answer to the questions you may have. When Companies House take steps to initiate criminal proceedings against a director, most will make it a priority to avoid criminal proceedings. Repeat offenders will likely receive less leeway and shortened timelines.

You can read about chef Gordon Ramsay's close encounters with criminal prosecution for failing to file accounts here.

You can check for yourself by following the links but presently Foundry 42 Limited, Roberts Space Industries International Limited, and Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited are all in breach of the law for failing to file their accounts on time. Once they have filed their accounts, you will be able to view them yourself at the links.

As directors of each of these companies, Christopher Roberts, Erin David Roberts, and Ortwin Freyermuth are therefore breaking UK law and running the risk of criminal proceedings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Malleovic posted:

This is totally unrelated but I can't take it anymore and I had to say something. Your AV and the text underneath creep me the gently caress out for some reason.

Thank whoever bought it for me, I suspect it was a Bitcoin millionaire with firm thighs & a Javelin who may or may not be holding a young child captive.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Madcosby posted:

you do nothing but ingest the dozens of hours of SC crap they peddle out, then detail the highlights for people here. youre basically chris' pawn on this forums, you and beer. and you do it for free. at least that ham whale they keep putting pictures of gets paid to promote chris next commercial

You're starting to get kinda weird about this. Maybe you should post somewhere else, because most of us are just trying to have a good time, and you're just flailing around and getting upset at something.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

How much is the scrub tier version of the game? That's what I bought

35 bucks was the early-backer amount, I think? I backed at that level too.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
madcosby is actually mad that people are getting scammed and he can't laugh about it

he's a good man, and he's my friend

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

thatguy posted:

The third email I got today:

I'm important!
:v:
"This current period is seeing a very high number of support requests"
Is it really?

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

shrach posted:

Under UK law (Companies Act 2006) all UK registered companies must file a number of documents with the agency known as Companies House. These documents are all public records.

A company must file a set of their accounts within nine months of their registered financial year end (or if it is their first set of accounts, they have 21 months from incorporation).

Failure to file documents is considered a strict liability. Eg: Were the accounts filed? Yes/No. If the answer is no, the company itself is fined.

Failure to deliver documents is a criminal offence. All the directors of the company risk prosecution. On conviction, a director could end up with a criminal record and a potentially unlimited fine for each offence. This is separate from the civil penalty imposed on the company for late filing of accounts.

Prosecution of directors and the timeline can vary massively and there is no definitive answer to the questions you may have. When Companies House take steps to initiate criminal proceedings against a director, most will make it a priority to avoid criminal proceedings. Repeat offenders will likely receive less leeway and shortened timelines.

You can read about chef Gordon Ramsay's close encounters with criminal prosecution for failing to file accounts here.

You can check for yourself by following the links but presently Foundry 42 Limited, Roberts Space Industries International Limited, and Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited are all in breach of the law for failing to file their accounts on time. Once they have filed their accounts, you will be able to view them yourself at the links.

As directors of each of these companies, Christopher Roberts, Erin David Roberts, and Ortwin Freyermuth are therefore breaking UK law and running the risk of criminal proceedings.

I'm quoting it because all of your posts have been good and somehow 'journalism' is completely missing them.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

shrach posted:

Take away from development of the game are we
:argh:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

shrach posted:

Now why on earth would a financially stable and secure company like CIG not file their accounts I wonder. :rolleyes:

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED

SelenicMartian posted:

"This current period is seeing a very high number of support requests"
Is it really?
To be fair I've never encountered a customer service team that didn't constantly claim to be dealing with "high call volume" 100% of the time. No idea if this is the same thing but it's definitely a tendency I've noticed.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Tarranon posted:

madcosby is actually mad that people are getting scammed and he can't laugh about it

he's a good man, and he's my friend

This must be the real reason I think.
He is too serious for this thread though.

shrach posted:

Isn't CR in England right now?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

shrach posted:

Thanks for your contribution Shrach, is there any procedure that allows for exceptional extension without running risk of having to pay the staged penalties?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

redwalrus posted:

I'm quoting it because all of your posts have been good and somehow 'journalism' is completely missing them.
Send them to DSmart.

Will a policeman come on stage at CitCon?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

seiferguy posted:

I wonder how this man is feeling about his purchase:

http://imgur.com/a/HFnjW

I want one of those so bad. The Bengal. No, the cat. They are pretty darn cool cats.

Also, I want to make one of those seats but I just don't have room in my apartment. I got a pipe bender...

Except mine would have a steering wheel attachment too.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 2, 2015

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

shrach posted:

So am I understanding this correctly? Derek Smart is in league with David Cameron & Jeremy Corbyn?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Clearly, these "ex-employees" have been hired by DS to act like ex-employees of CIG, trying to cause a fallout in the SC community or maybe even try and get current staff to question their place or something. The whole thing just wreaks of DS and I think the Escapist will end up with a very bad rap when all is said and done.
(Not sure if serious. If you are...)

The Escapist has proven the Washington Post of SpergGate, but Derek Smart was not their "Deep Throat". It was current and former CIG employees who felt like this story had to be told and reached out to Escapist, since they weren't just drinking the Star Citizen Koolaid. Escapist deserves whatever the nerd equivalent is of a Pulitzer. A Webby or some crap like that.

The more likely outcome is that Establishment Journalists-- who have largely been asleep at the wheel-- are going to smell blood in the water after the Escapist's first bite and we're going to see a swarm of stories. (Kotaku already cried foul for the "irresponsible journalism"-- no doubt they are jealous that they didn't get to strike first. They've been sitting on a lot of dirt themselves, biding their time, ignoring the warnings. Sod them for missing their moment.)

If we really are witnessing the death throes of the biggest crowdfunding campaign in history, and the allegations of fraud, financial misappropriation, nepotism, racism, ageism, death-by-scope-creep, and all the rest ultimately prove true, then the media swarm will pick every piece of meat off the bone. How CIG survives that, I have no idea. That they seem not to deserve to, I relish.

So I say mad props to Escapist, for giving voice to whistleblowers warning of calamity, and for their generous contributions to the entertainment value of this thread.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

sorla78 posted:

Thanks for your contribution Shrach, is there any procedure that allows for exceptional extension without running risk of having to pay the staged penalties?
Yes, but they have to be extremely exceptional... as in Godzilla wrecked your accountant's offices.

Otherwise it's "gently caress you, pay me".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGAmPRxV48

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Now that both Sandi and Chris have had independent meltdowns from recent events, I am hoping Ortwin Freyermuth provides one as well in order to complete the chain. He seems the most self-controlled, so it's kind of a high bar, but I believe in DSmart to take us the distance.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
But is whateverthefuckname Star Citizen company UK registered? All of that is meaningless if they aren't.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Point is Master-Geek Ben Lesnick didn't even know what the hell the difference is between RSI and CIG. So obviously it looks like peasants aren't briefed on how Chris and Ortwin's cloudy Imperium is structured and operating. Which in my books is always a red flag.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Hope you guys who have massive amounts of cash in this realise the refunds wont carry on forever...

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I like that, for years, this thread was basically true believers being trolled by the occasional person who'd come in and say the game was never going to be made. Now, it's flipped so hard in the other direction that the only way to really bait people is to insist that it's all a misunderstanding and things are going great.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?
God,

i really have trouble to enjoy all this drama...

I don't even have the stamina to read even a little bit of it.

How do guys do it ?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sarsapariller posted:

I like that, for years, this thread was basically true believers being trolled by the occasional person who'd come in and say the game was never going to be made. Now, it's flipped so hard in the other direction that the only way to really bait people is to insist that it's all a misunderstanding and things are going great.

wait a dicking second, how would you know what the thread was like years ago?

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

sorla78 posted:

Not really. You may get an extension if your books and records are lost to a natural disaster but the company would probably still have to pay the fine. In some cases where the company is dormant you may also be able to avoid fines by stating that the company has no assets and no liabilities and no longer exists so that it is struck off the register.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sarsapariller posted:

…made particularly fun by how there's still the occasional person coming in to troll about how the game will never come out. :D

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

GreenLight posted:

God,

How do guys do it ?

Crippling autism and desk jobs.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm off sick from work with flu and this has made my day easier, could really do with some kinda podcast or video about it so i can listen while I writhe around, groaning.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Hell hath no fury like a goon swarm'd

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

GreenLight posted:

God,

How do guys do it ?

I like to read the funny things

And desk job

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Hell hath no fury like a goon swarm'd

Yup, first eve, and now the world

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

GreenLight posted:

God,

How do guys do it ?

its like politics, except irrelevant

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Friendly Tumour posted:

wait a dicking second, how would you know what the thread was like years ago?

Back in the first year the clueless org I was a part of was in PACT or LAMP or whatever the gently caress the first big alliance was called, and was terrified of goons. I spent a lot of time on this thread (it was frequently open to the public) just reading because I found the posts a lot more entertaining than the fake-space-martial badge-awarding bullshit that my crew were doing, but didn't feel like J'ing 4 G. I ditched them soon after and only came back to post after another couple years had passed, when DSmart and Seraph showed up.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

nopantsjack posted:

I'm off sick from work with flu and this has made my day easier, could really do with some kinda podcast or video about it so i can listen while I writhe around, groaning.

Here's a recap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BV7rc9CJvc

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

shrach posted:

Really interesting, thanks. Even if they are not formally charged, it's a good example of investor's money being mishandled in terms of the fines alone.

edit: which, if I understand this correctly, would be in excess of $5000 US?... please correct me if I'm wrong

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 2, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

shrach posted:

What is likely is that the accounts are with the accountant and being worked on. My company tax filing was way overdue one year but the all the accounts had been with the accountant for months. Given that the last filing was in December 2014 it's likely they'll probably be completed around the same time this year.

Of course what no one has considered is that this won't stop when the money runs out. Instead Chris Roberts will keep selling internet spaceships and borrow money to keep the company afloat.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

GreenLight posted:

God,

How do guys do it ?

I defer to the CIG recommendation of a nutritious chug of your own fluids to sustain you through the read.

nsfw:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tippis posted:

…made particularly fun by how there's still the occasional person coming in to troll about how the game will never come out. :D

I was never trolling. Even now, when the game is just around the corner, I can say in all seriousness that it will never be released.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Unormal posted:

I hope Star Citizen at least eventually is forced to release all it's assets/code for people to use.
star_citizen_source_code.txt (2kb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Devian666 posted:

What is likely is that the accounts are with the accountant and being worked on. My company tax filing was way overdue one year but the all the accounts had been with the accountant for months. Given that the last filing was in December 2014 it's likely they'll probably be completed around the same time this year.

Not sure what you mean. None of the companies have ever filed a set of accounts so there is no way to guess how late they might be. The ones that are overdue concern the period ending 31 December 2014.

If you are providing your books and records in a timely manner to your accountant and you are missing the filing deadline you might want to think about finding a new accountant.

• Locked thread