Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Adventure Pigeon posted:

on the note of age of sail pirate games, I'm getting pretty excited about Naval Action. Its alpha is actually looking pretty decent from everything I've heard, though it's gotten kinda quiet since they're not letting people in for money.

I play Naval Action! I at least try to.

There's no SA thread and it's hard to progress but I think it has potential and I was hugely into PotBS (did the whole beta then bailed when Flying Labs wouldn't listen).

So far the company (I swear are the Russian mob but I don't care) has done a lot with the PotBS scraps- the world is larger (my biggest pet peeve) and the world map is PvP from faction to faction.

I'd like to see more goons getting into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Justin Tyme posted:

The fact that he won't comment is itself somewhat of a validation. If it was all patently untrue he risks nothing in saying that/defending his friend. I can understand not wanting to get involved in the drama but even a short passing comment on it seems reasonable if there wasn't more to the story.
I was going to type up something similar then saw your comment and punted on mine. But I did want to add something.

After listening to the Thomas Hennessy interview today, I found it very telling that he took a Pro-CIG position while still skirting around the particular opportunity to address the claims about the Santa Monica office. He could've come out and said, "Everything in that article is a lie." or "Sandi is a wonderful woman to work for and all of those characterizations are just insanely not true." But he instead just kept things generally up-and-up. I wouldn't find this interesting but for that weird eye-rolling thing he did in "Reverse the Verse" (which was unmistakably annoyed.)

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

OhDearGodNo posted:

There's no SA thread and it's hard to progress but I think it has potential and I was hugely into PotBS (did the whole beta then bailed when Flying Labs wouldn't listen).

So far the company (I swear are the Russian mob but I don't care) has done a lot with the PotBS scraps- the world is larger (my biggest pet peeve) and the world map is PvP from faction to faction.

I plan on getting into it once they open up access to it. They've talked about exploration, conquest, etc, haven't they?

Every Russian company above a certain size probably has some level of connection to the mob. The fact they're not grabbing as much cash as they can from the users during alpha seems like a good sign, though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
just had another session in the verse, was fuckin ace you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP7PUUViKjI

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I plan on getting into it once they open up access to it. They've talked about exploration, conquest, etc, haven't they?

Yeah, the last patch had crafting but that's not really my thing.

They also just added in storms and to be honest I really want them to have sea monsters and other myths occasionally pop up.

e: I sent you a PM on how to get in.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 3, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

G0RF posted:

I was going to type up something similar then saw your comment and punted on mine. But I did want to add something.

After listening to the Thomas Hennessy interview today, I found it very telling that he took a Pro-CIG position while still skirting around the particular opportunity to address the claims about the Santa Monica office. He could've come out and said, "Everything in that article is a lie." or "Sandi is a wonderful woman to work for and all of those characterizations are just insanely not true." But he instead just kept things generally up-and-up. I wouldn't find this interesting but for that weird eye-rolling thing he did in "Reverse the Verse" (which was unmistakably annoyed.)

They're in a pretty bad position- they can't say anything to dissuade fear without outright lying, but by skirting the issue it just leads to more speculation. But if they tell the dirtiest truths in an effort to be more transparent in hopes of honesty bringing goodwill, they just open themselves up to investigation :v:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Added the Morlan comment too.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

OhDearGodNo posted:

So are we looking at something like Sid Meyers Pirates but a tad more modern and a tad more MMO with some GoI themes? Because if so that sounds like it's worth checking out.

I'm bookmarking a video to watch a bit later.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Guys, it's a thread for discussions surrounding the video game known as Star Citizen. Please discuss other games in other threads.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I remember all of that- it blew over quick but it was one of those wake up calls that there was a lot of poo poo behind all the glitter.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

OhDearGodNo posted:

Yeah, the last patch had crafting but that's not really my thing.

They also just added in storms and to be honest I really want them to have sea monsters and other myths occasionally pop up.

e: I sent you a PM on how to get in.

Cool deal, thanks for the info. I'm going to think this over some. Basically, I'm trying to decide between Naval Action and Elite Dangerous to scratch my sandbox itch. I actually like the age of sail as much as or more than space, but ED is still further along.

Have they introduced player organizations or anything yet, btw?

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Cool deal, thanks for the info. I'm going to think this over some. Basically, I'm trying to decide between Naval Action and Elite Dangerous to scratch my sandbox itch. I actually like the age of sail as much as or more than space, but ED is still further along.

Have you considered the space opera epic Star Citizen?

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Rushing the development process:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

So are we looking at something like Sid Meyers Pirates but a tad more modern and a tad more MMO with some GoI themes? Because if so that sounds like it's worth checking out.

I'm bookmarking a video to watch a bit later.

It's.... Kind of. It's like PotBS but updated. There are many graphical glitches, and it's still barebones.

It's really hard to get going but also things like knowing how wind works matters. Having the weather gauge really means something. Knowing how to work your foresail to jibe and not having to fall off can prevent you from getting raked really hard.

Every Friday we have Tortuga, which is a ridiculously crazy fleet battle.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

AP posted:

Nice. I imagine there will be at least a few corroborating stories/articles this upcoming week now that the dam has burst. Then DSmart Da Gawd to cap it all off on Saturday.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 3, 2015

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

AP posted:

So if the escapist didn't have Morlan and McNeal, that now makes 11.

Incidentally, the final straw where I bailed was when I saw the cat "modules". Looked like a 12 year old had put it together. Anyone have thoughts on those?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

Ha-- I was actually about to write you to ask "hey, didn't Morlan comment on that, too?"

I wish I could remember the video I saw with him, Batgirl, and a couple of others talking about CIG last year. There was some grousing about the culture (may have been right after mike and wingman left). If only they'd known!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

CashEnsign posted:

Rushing the development process:

We're trolling ourselves at this point.

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

nopantsjack posted:

Its somewhat of a moot point, because they can't. They might end up with an incredibly unstable sorta planetside/E:D game though.

They already can. In Arena Commander. And that's without the actual FPS module even being launched.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jethro_E7 posted:

Incidentally, the final straw where I bailed was when I saw the cat "modules". Looked like a 12 year old had put it together. Anyone have thoughts on those?

I like cats. Not a big fan of 12 year olds.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Nice. I imagine there will be at least a few more corroborating stories/articles this upcoming week now that the dam has burst. Then DSmart Da Gawd to cap it all off on Saturday.

That stuff is old from October 2014 I think.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jethro_E7 posted:

Cat module?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

peter gabriel posted:

Can I be your Wingman in the 'VERSE?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Have you considered the space opera epic Star Citizen?

Hmmm...

*removes wallet, stares at it, then sets it on fire*

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Adventure Pigeon posted:

It's still alpha, so don't expect it to be really deep. They have faction support and informal orgs (supported on the forums not fully in game).

You can run and organize fleets as you level up.

The UI is still a WIP, but getting there.

Honestly if movies like Master and Commander wet your willie, grab Naval Action.

I played Elite, and graphically it's amazing- and I sold my alpha package because it was around the time that I realized spending hundreds on a pre-order is stupid.

Also, when Valkyrie comes out I'll also be grabbing the consumer Oculus.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zeike posted:

Can I be your Wingman in the 'VERSE?

Of course, it'll be a pleasure serving with you in the verse

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Jethro_E7 posted:

Pics of them?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Yes, a module for cats!

peter gabriel posted:

Of course, it'll be a pleasure serving with you in the verse

Yippee! :pilot:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Hmmm...

*removes wallet, stares at it, then sets it on fire*

It's agreat game so far all good with no issues. it's in early access and some folk are moaning but really it's superb as long as you remember rome wasn't built in a day

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

poo poo now I got myself all excited to play Naval Action tonight.

Then again I'm supposed to work on my HoR kill team terrain. gently caress.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

OhDearGodNo posted:

poo poo now I got myself all excited to play Naval Action tonight.

:wiggle: shaved I hope?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

:wiggle: shaved I hope?

Shaved, under 40, and not black.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

OhDearGodNo posted:

Shaved, under 40, and not black.

:eyepop:

Star Citizen Bingo!

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Pages and pages of discussion about a ToS for a game that is never going to see the light of day.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Zeike posted:

Yes, a module for cats!

Yippee! :pilot:

Seriously?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

AP posted:

The real world doesn't work like that. They will already have a pretty good idea who leaked, the problem is they need proof to take action (I believe there are legal implications in California), someone asking for comment is only proof that someone asked for comment.

Suspicion only hurts current staff like earlier in the thread I said that Disco Lando was sharing gossip about Sandi to me via private message and that might have got him fired if they really are batsville crazy in CIG LA. But it was a joke and does no harm, plus it wasn't true, he was telling me juicy stuff via email instead.

Seeing that DS has leaked that CIG was checking everyone's skype logs and seemingly had forbidden staff to talk to former employees (regardless if true or not, but it certainly fits their other described behaviour) kinda shows that they might not know who is behind the leaks - which is also backed-up by the firings of James and Alyssa, who according to DS had no involvement. Also the way Chris put out his letter shows IMHO that he was surprised by the turn of events and the accusations, otherwise his statement would have sounded a lot different. So I doubt that there's a pretty good idea about who did what at CIG. Seeing their level of fluctuations, there's at least about 60-90 former CIG employees on Linked-in I doubt that it's easy to pin-point anyone except David Jennison, who I believe might have gotten royally hosed by Derek Smart, by leaking his (allegedly) name, so much about you-can-trust-me.

As for Twitter, let's simply disagree. If you reach out for a story, on an investigation piece, you as the reporter might find perfectly reasonable to tweet a potential source. If I reach out for the same I would prefer to contact that source offline, or via a platform that isn't public just to ensure that discretion on this matter isn't breached.

As for citations of Elijah, rumours when he got fired were saying that he >>static<<. But yeah, the universal grind in Game Studios isn't new, being an artist with a games studio tends to be worse, than being an artist with a visual effects house. I remember reading quite a lot of horror stories from CGtalk back in the days - and many seasoned artists were plainly refusing to ever go back into that industry, and the visual fx industry isn't better, so much poo poo went on there as well with Digital Domain, Rhythem & Hues etc.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 3, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm practicing for release by working out on the ladder-master at the gym

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

peter gabriel posted:

Oh look at that, an unfinished Alpha has bugs, who'd have thunk it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gryphon0468 posted:

Oh look at that, an unfinished Alpha has bugs, who'd have thunk it?

What bugs?
Was a good gaming session imo

• Locked thread