Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They'll be showing Chris's videos and letters for years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RuckusRouser posted:

Did anyone notice how Ortwin brought up examples of how Sandi has African-Americans and people who are older than 40 on staff, but he didn't dispute that every woman must be clean shaven?

Wasn't that from the video, not the article in question, though?

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Wasn't that from the video, not the article in question, though?

He refers to the Podcast in his letter a few times actually, which is a bit odd since the demands did not ask that the video be taken down. Honestly, having read many types of these letters over the past few years, between the way it is written and the fact that he forgot to mention the video in his demands makes me think Ortwin is not the "super powered lawyer" that the Faithful constantly make him out to be.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
"Our hiring practices aren't discriminatory, of our three hundred employees we have two blacks and an old."
-The loving Chairman

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh no they want to take Derek Smart's internet away! Call internet police!

quote:

This one is a bit of a stretch, but this community is no stranger to theorycrafting so bear with me please. I was contemplating what CIG might hope to gain from demanding a third-party investigation of the circumstances surrounding the article's publication, and I was struck by a thought. It's pretty clear that there is a close link between Derek Smart and Lizzy Finnegan, but no evidence that Derek directly contributed to her article. If CIG manages to get a third party investigation going on Lizzy and The Escapist, I'm more than willing to bet they'll find evidence that Derek Smart was a player in organizing these ex-employees, or perhaps even just acting out fabricated ex-employees in the interest of slandering CIG. Should this prove to be the case, CIG would have the firepower necessary to level serious legal action against Derek Smart. Perhaps they could even end our self-proclaimed Internet Warlord's reign for good should a judge decide to revoke Derek's internet access as punishment for his history of stirring up trouble.
I also like how they bounce between believing Derek Smart is this loser nobody and a genius conspirator and mastermind.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

They'll be showing Chris's videos and letters for years to come.

So the practical rule about law that most laymen don't get is that 99% of the time you want to do everything possible to avoid litigation because the costs involved mean that even a total victory will leave you behind. That raises to 100% when we're talking about libel.

That's why people don't 'just sue' when mean words are flying back and forth, that's why the libel litigation department of a major law firm advertises that a major service they provide is seminars on how not to end up using their service in court.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

Oh no they want to take Derek Smart's internet away! Call internet police!

I also like how they bounce between believing Derek Smart is this loser nobody and a genius conspirator and mastermind.

Trust shitzens to picture nothing worse than have no internet in their revenge fantasies

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
I find this situation quite interesting.

- I personally hope that The Escapist stands up against this, it would kinda show that investigative journalism wasn't just an opportunistic decision to generate traffic when provided the choice, but that they are actually willing to go full skin. I personally doubt it seeing that their parent companies interests include corporate ad clients that include the games industry.
- How important are the alleged sources for all this? Is the letter also worded aggressively to scare them off from making themselves available? Could they get cold feet and would they be able to retract from this whole process? How important are they for The Escapist? At the end the article is build on their words.
- How serious are these racism allegations? Was CIG even having a choice to let it stand, without taking action? I read in one of the threads on Kontaku that the accusation is enough to have companies refuse to work with CIG?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AP posted:

Nicolas Murfett

CIG already had a relationship with Harbottle & Lewis in the UK, I wonder how CIG are going to explain who will pay the legal fees if this goes further.

Wait, is this is the guy handling the financial disclosures to the British government, what CIG hasn't been doing? Stellar job there.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Wait, is this is the guy handling the financial disclosures to the British government, what CIG hasn't been doing? Stellar job there.

No, that would be their accountant.

This guy would appear to have advised them on the UK law on refunds though, http://www.harbottle.com/recent-changes-consumer-protection-laws-mean-online-retailers-operating-uk-2/

He also appears to have kicked the escapist stuff upstairs.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5KTVA_2ys

Why is this not in the OP?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Haha, I can't believe they're doing it. Holy poo poo that's stupid.

It's incredibly hard, if not borderline impossible, to get a journalist tried for libel/slander (unless it's like the fifth time they're tried). This should also answer the idiots who were going "Well if it's a lie, why not just sue?".

They'll never win this, even if it turns out literally all the secret sources are goons and have never worked at CIG (afaik, it's only 1 of them right?) they wont get anything from the lawsuit.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Because there's still a debate between that being more relevant (for the psychological aspect of it) or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLcjUmBncZ8

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
"Defy Media", there are going to be a lot of jokes if they cave on Monday.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AP posted:

"Defy Media", there are going to be a lot of jokes if they cave on Monday.

The interesting this is that Defy Media is partly owned by Lionsgate, who did distribution for Ascendant Pictures on stuff like the 2004 Punisher movie and Lord Of War.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Young Freud posted:

The interesting this is that Defy Media is partly owned by Lionsgate, who did distribution for Ascendant Pictures on stuff like the 2004 Punisher movie and Lord Of War.

aha!!! then that sums it up, all of this are just publicity stunt!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Dear Goons,

I humbly announce my presence.
Near the end of last year, I noticed something odd happening to Star Citizen while frequenting the Elite: Dangerous forums - its dedicated thread was getting locked every time. So I started digging in Google and a Big Soap Series showed up. I gave up television a couple of years ago because of more time for gaming. But a need for fake drama and sitcoms remained, hence my digging. About three months ago my googling led me to this forum. I was immediately addicted to the humorous and to the point analysis of the goings-on.
The site closes every once in a while, so then I switched to following Mr. Smart's twitter. When he linked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WL5MX1Co8, I felt that it was time to drop :10bux:.
Thank you for keeping me informed. I will now continue to lurk.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

EminusSleepus posted:

aha!!! then that sums it up, all of this are just publicity stunt!

Can you quit it with the meme poo poo already.

:lurkmore:

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
that goon a few pages back that said they were asked if the escapist was the reason for the refund, how big was your drat refund mate lol

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

sorla78 posted:

- I personally hope that The Escapist stands up against this, it would kinda show that investigative journalism wasn't just an opportunistic decision to generate traffic when provided the choice, but that they are actually willing to go full skin. I personally doubt it seeing that their parent companies interests include corporate ad clients that include the games industry.
CIG has locked the Escapist in a game of chicken. If the Escapist retracts the article now (which they well might) after standing by it already then it's basically a huge admission that they aren't cracked out for this "journalism" thing. And if CIG doesn't follow through with their lawsuit (also likely) then it's a huge credibility boost for the article's claims.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Since the case is so flimsy would there be a precedent for Defy Media winning and having CIG pay for the legal fees for a frivolous lawsuit?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
I look forward to all outcomes because they will all be entertaining.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Trapezium Dave posted:

CIG has locked the Escapist in a game of chicken. If the Escapist retracts the article now (which they well might) after standing by it already then it's basically a huge admission that they aren't cracked out for this "journalism" thing. And if CIG doesn't follow through with their lawsuit (also likely) then it's a huge credibility boost for the article's claims.

Considering that the Escapist pretty much tripled down with both a follow-up article Friday explaining how they got their sources and standing by the story and a podcast all about crowdfunding in regards to this debacle with the author and editor-in-chief, supposedly with advance knowledge that CIG was planning on going a litigation route, I'm guessing that they've already called their bluff.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

If the Escapist retracts the article now (which they well might) after standing by it already then it's basically a huge admission that they aren't cracked out for this "journalism" thing.
So they have nothing to lose then?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Since the case is so flimsy would there be a precedent for Defy Media winning and having CIG pay for the legal fees for a frivolous lawsuit?

Probably pretty unlikely. The case isn't necessarily as flimsy as it looks, because while it's going to be almost guaranteed that CIG is going to lose, that doesn't mean the Escapist will "win"-- emails can be purged, and any video proof may not be admissible based on recording consent laws of the state it was taken in. The only thing that's certain is both sides would end up flushing money down the toilet.

Also, explicitly because the financials weren't even touched on, it's possible that any lawsuit may skirt that particular issue entirely. Taking a company to court over HR practices alone probably wouldn't result in any spending information coming out in discovery.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Considering that the Escapist pretty much tripled down with both a follow-up article Friday explaining how they got their sources and standing by the story and a podcast all about crowdfunding in regards to this debacle with the author and editor-in-chief, supposedly with advance knowledge that CIG was planning on going a litigation route, I'm guessing that they've already called their bluff.
If they're pretty certain CIG only has a few months of money left then they'll be perfectly safe. :v:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

wouldn't this be a case of if the lawyers were the ones deciding then hell yeah let's go to trial because this is a slam dunk, but the guy paying the bills with company money is the one who has to actually decide what to do? like, the journalist and editor doubling down on the article doesn't really mean jack poo poo, they're not the ones deciding what legal action the company will take.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

waiting for Derek and Lizz to wake up and see the reaction!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Probably pretty unlikely. The case isn't necessarily as flimsy as it looks, because while it's going to be almost guaranteed that CIG is going to lose, that doesn't mean the Escapist will "win"-- emails can be purged, and any video proof may not be admissible based on recording consent laws of the state it was taken in. The only thing that's certain is both sides would end up flushing money down the toilet.

Also, explicitly because the financials weren't even touched on, it's possible that any lawsuit may skirt that particular issue entirely. Taking a company to court over HR practices alone probably wouldn't result in any spending information coming out in discovery.

I just realized what's actually going to happen

even if it doesn't make it to court, litigation could be used by the true believers of star citizen as a reason the game failed because CIG would have to spend so much money on it, and so even though the game will never exist it wasn't actually chris roberts' fault and he can go on to crowdfund another game that will never exist

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

wouldn't this be a case of if the lawyers were the ones deciding then hell yeah let's go to trial because this is a slam dunk, but the guy paying the bills with company money is the one who has to actually decide what to do? like, the journalist and editor doubling down on the article doesn't really mean jack poo poo, they're not the ones deciding what legal action the company will take.

Maybe? I think the Escapist has rather more to lose here if they back down than if not, but it depends on how hard they're trying to be a "real" journalism outlet (which is a thing that I don't know). This the sort of make-or-break story that most outlets would die to have-- corrupt large company, large-scale funding, and the investigative ball completely dropped by everyone else on the field. If they say "whoops, sorry" and carefully put the ball back down, then they lose all semblance of credibility, but if they hold onto it and run with it then they're suddenly a Hard Hitting News Outlet asking the Hard Questions.

it's all about ethics in gaming journalism, you see

I just realized what's actually going to happen

even if it doesn't make it to court, litigation could be used by the true believers of star citizen as a reason the game failed because CIG would have to spend so much money on it, and so even though the game will never exist it wasn't actually chris roberts' fault and he can go on to crowdfund another game that will never exist

pretend I have that spinning "this is good for bitcoin because:" roulette gif here, except it's "star citizen failed because:"

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 4, 2015

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
She is already up.
https://twitter.com/lizzyf620

Liz O'GingerMcIrish @lizzyf620 20m20 minutes ago

Liz O'GingerMcIrish Retweeted A Name
Zooming in it looks the same as the one presented to me. Wouldn't swear on a bible that it's 100% identical, but yea

quote:

Liz O'GingerMcIrish added,
A Name @I_Am_A_Number
@lizzyf620 re Star Citizen ID tag: were you referring to a security card as seen here https://youtu.be/9y1X4tLFdU0?t=7m32s … or a card with personal info?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This debacle isn't funny enough until Chris Roberts leaves his luxury house after receiving anonymous threats on twitter.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
ooooo shes up lets see what she does

btw heres my research and opinions on the law firm that cig is gonna use to sue

*twiddles fingers with glee*

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Chris Roberts wakes up and finds dozens of toy space ships littering his lawn that spell out "See you in the 'verse"; a Citizen across the street raises his hand in solidarity and nods.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
im going to actually start using "see you in the 'verse" as a threat now

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Chris Roberts wakes up and finds dozens of toy space ships littering his lawn that spell out "See you in the 'verse"; a Citizen across the street raises his hand in solidarity and nods.

I hope someone installs a sound system in their office that when CR opens the door of his office a voice will say "Frameshift Drive Charging"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

The podcast will have really hurt, I've been exposed to Star Citizen for years, you could say I was in the cult for a few months in 2013 and since then have spent two years following the game down the toilet and laughing heartily that I got out while gently encouraging others to do that same. At times I feel like one of the those ex Scientology members going "no man, you think it's bad, but this poo poo here happened on top of that!".

The most noticeable thing about that podcast was how much they laughed, to the point sometimes of not being able to speak, it's all bad and you know it's bad but you actually don't consider the full force of concentrated funny it has on someone who doesn't know much about it.

I hope they stick to their story and are satisfied it was properly sourced.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

sorla78 posted:

She is already up.
https://twitter.com/lizzyf620

Liz O'GingerMcIrish @lizzyf620 20m20 minutes ago

Liz O'GingerMcIrish Retweeted A Name
Zooming in it looks the same as the one presented to me. Wouldn't swear on a bible that it's 100% identical, but yea

i have one of those as does anyone who has worked in a secure facility in the past 20 years. i can easily hook it up to a star citizen lanyard. like reading the original article i went 'what the gently caress' when it claimed that every employee said to follow the money, but now i'm convinced that the escapist is being pranked.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Ernie. posted:

i have one of those as does anyone who has worked in a secure facility in the past 20 years. i can easily hook it up to a star citizen lanyard. like reading the original article i went 'what the gently caress' when it claimed that every employee said to follow the money, but now i'm convinced that the escapist is being pranked.

how many pictures of space ships do you "own"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
You all like to gently caress dogs and cum in them

• Locked thread