Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I should also clarify that I apply shortening to warm pan because it goes on thinner that way than anything else I've tried. Any kind of cooking oil tends to go on thick and can then pool and get sticky instead of properly polymerizing. If you're seasoning comes out sticky, it's on too thick. I cannot stress enough the importance of how thin the layer of fat must be to properly season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

The Midniter posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for some sort of lint/fuzz-free cloth I could use to wipe my pan out after using it? I know water's not going to harm the pan but I'm loath to use it, so I normally just use a bunch of paper towels when I'm wiping it out. However, if there are any crusties on it or something, I have to scrub harder which leaves little fibers from the paper towels on it. How can I avoid this?

I had the same issue as you until I found a pack of linen cloth towels from home depot that work great. It had like 6 towels in the pack and cost something like $2 or $3. Cheap enough that I can scrap em when they get too cruddy, but they're absolutely perfect for applying whatever you use to season the pan without getting little fibers in there.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
You can also use nylon scrubbers made for nonstick pans.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Amazon sells a square of chain mail advertised specifically for wiping out cast iron pans. That will tear up whatever DARES to burn on to your pan.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Crazyeyes posted:

Amazon sells a square of chain mail advertised specifically for wiping out cast iron pans. That will tear up whatever DARES to burn on to your pan.

Been using it. it's rad. I use it to clean out non cast iron stuff too (e.g. stainless pots/pans/sink)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Best price

Second best price

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Piggy made some chicken.

It seeded appropriate to cook some pork on it but I don't much care for it and none of it looked all that great at the store.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
That hibachi owns so hard

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
What does it weigh?

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I don't have a scale but comparing it to a gallon jug of water I would guess 12 to 15 pounds.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5FfJ89rGPc

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Inspector 34 posted:

Skillets are my preferred method for reheating leftover pizza (if the pizza is good enough to bother reheating). Sometimes I use my cast iron, but only if it's on the stove already since whatever skillet is nearest at hand is good enough. 20s in the microwave to melt the cheese then on the pan until the crust is crispy. Sometimes seems even better than when it was fresh.

Not sure I'd bother with a Totinos, but what the hell do I know?
Why not put the cast iron into the oven, and then put the leftover pizza into the cast iron when the oven is preheated? 5-7 minutes is great, and "microwave and then fry on skillet" is making me sad.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Sure, do that. It's leftovers so do whatever you want.

I'm kind of impatient and the skillet can heat up on the stove while the pizza is getting nuked, but the oven takes way longer to heat up enough to melt cheese and crisp the crust. Microwave doesn't have to mean terrible leftover pizza.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

Sure, do that. It's leftovers so do whatever you want.

I'm kind of impatient and the skillet can heat up on the stove while the pizza is getting nuked, but the oven takes way longer to heat up enough to melt cheese and crisp the crust. Microwave doesn't have to mean terrible leftover pizza.

This is why they make convection toaster ovens. 10 minutes at 350 in a cast iron skillet makes it worth waiting for.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I had a roommate who worked at a new york slice place that does hipster recipes like http://www.sizzlepie.com/MENUS , he'd bring home a few random slices most nights and and its totally worth preheating the ovenwith the cast iron in it, while you take a shower before work.

I understand if it's an overwhelming amount of effort to turn an appliance on and then do something else for ten minutes though.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I have one of these - Oster Extra Large Digital Toaster Oven - and it works great. Heats up quickly, does convection and all of my pans fit except for my 15'" skillet that I don't use anyway. The skillet actually fits in the oven but the handle sticks out. My 5 quart dutch oven fits in it nicely as well.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't own a toaster oven, but I might buy one to test your theories. Alternatively, I will try taking a shower once in a while as my oven preheats.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Inspector 34 posted:

I don't own a toaster oven, but I might buy one to test your theories. Alternatively, I will try taking a shower once in a while as my oven preheats.

You don't need running appliances in order to take a shower, protip. Some showers can even run during power outages!

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Heating the pan on the stove top and then covering with a lid works as well. Crispy crust, melty cheese, good times.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I had a roommate who worked at a new york slice place that does hipster recipes like http://www.sizzlepie.com/MENUS , he'd bring home a few random slices most nights and and its totally worth preheating the ovenwith the cast iron in it, while you take a shower before work.

I understand if it's an overwhelming amount of effort to turn an appliance on and then do something else for ten minutes though.

Heating up a full-size oven just to warm up a drat piece of leftover pizza is a crazy waste of energy.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Yeah, toaster oven does the trick nicely.

My housemate has a *~pizza stone~* he insists on using except it only fits in the oven. gently caress that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ColdPie posted:

Heating up a full-size oven just to warm up a drat piece of leftover pizza is a crazy waste of energy.

Not if it's cold out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ColdPie posted:

oh man wait until you find out about frozen burritos

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

ColdPie posted:

I was going to strongly recommend a pizzazz as it reheats stuff quite badassly.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Heat skillet on one burner. Heat lid on second burner. Put pizza in skillet, put heated lid on top. Congratulations you have a small, hot as hell oven to reheat your pizza and it didn't require wasting time and effort and resources on heating a full sized oven.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Cooked some bacon in my cast iron skillet and fried eggs in the fat on my cast iron gridde.

Eggs in beacon fat is the best.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Massasoit posted:

Cooked some bacon in my cast iron skillet and fried eggs in the fat on my cast iron gridde.

Eggs in beacon fat is the best.

This is the only way I knew eggs could be cooked (besides scrambled or boiled) for probably the first 15 years of my life, and I have 0 regrets. Eggs fried in bacon fat does indeed own.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you then pour out the excess bacon fat, and wipe it gently (aim for a thin, even coating of fat, rather than to clean it out,) with a paper towel, you can also make your toast in the pan.

NOT THAT I DO THAT.

:btroll:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Get enough bacon fat in a pan to pool up when tilted, then heat it up. Once it's quite hot but not smoking, crack an egg into the pooled fat. Cook the egg, continually basting, until it's just done. It's sort of like poaching an egg, but you get bacon flavor and craggy bits. Really delicious.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Get enough bacon fat in a pan to pool up when tilted, then heat it up. Once it's quite hot but not smoking, crack an egg into the pooled fat. Cook the egg, continually basting, until it's just done. It's sort of like poaching an egg, but you get bacon flavor and craggy bits. Really delicious.

This is exactly how mine were growing up. It would always blow me away when people talked about how tough it was to fry eggs without busting the yolk, only to realize the grease splashing/basting way isn't the normal way to do it, poo poo is so easy. I can do fatless fried eggs fine but man there's nothing like eggs with a bunch of bacon chunks and crackly poo poo all over it.

Oh there's some left on the plate, no worries let me dominate it with this piece of toast.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

MrYenko posted:

If you then pour out the excess bacon fat, and wipe it gently (aim for a thin, even coating of fat, rather than to clean it out,) with a paper towel, you can also make your toast in the pan.

NOT THAT I DO THAT.

:btroll:

My toast tends to absorb the bacon grease just fine. And is delicious.

Oh hey death what's up.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

When we go camping, we bring along a pie iron. It's good for making pies or whatever, but the pro thing it do is open 'er up in the morning and slap on some bacon. Once those are crispy, crack an egg straight into the pooled fat and scramble with some tongs. Boom, delicious breakfast.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

ColdPie posted:

When we go camping, we bring along a pie iron. It's good for making pies or whatever, but the pro thing it do is open 'er up in the morning and slap on some bacon. Once those are crispy, crack an egg straight into the pooled fat and scramble with some tongs. Boom, delicious breakfast.

I have one of those. My family always called them "pudgy pie" makers. We'd take two pieces of buttered bread (butter out), and slap some jam or chocolate bars or what have you in the middle, seal it up and toss in the fire for a few minutes to seal and heat up. Goddamn are they fun but never saw a whole lot of uses for such a small iron.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Looking into getting a cast iron dutch oven, possibly enameled.

So in your opinions, what is the size that would be most useful over all? I was thinking a 6 qt one like this one http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N4YCVQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_10&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER Alternatively any other ideas?

There is really just the two of us here most of the time, but we do have occasional guests over...so I am thinking the larger one might be nice.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Disco Salmon posted:

Looking into getting a cast iron dutch oven, possibly enameled.

So in your opinions, what is the size that would be most useful over all? I was thinking a 6 qt one like this one http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N4YCVQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_10&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER Alternatively any other ideas?

There is really just the two of us here most of the time, but we do have occasional guests over...so I am thinking the larger one might be nice.

6 qt is ideal. You can always make less but can't make more with a smaller pot.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Thank you! 6 qt it shall be then :)

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Disco Salmon posted:

Thank you! 6 qt it shall be then :)

You also forget the power of.... LEFTOVERS

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
If it matters to you all of the enameled Lodge cast iron is made in China. Woot currently has a Fontignac by Staub 8 Qt. Round Red Cocotte (made in France) for $100.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Staub is good poo poo. A pot like that is only too big if you can't lift it when it's full of ingredients, or it won't fit in your oven.

Now I'm really hungry for paprikash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Gorgar posted:

A pot like that is only too big if you can't lift it when it's full of ingredients,

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/shop-cranes/3-4-ton-capacity-heavy-duty-load-leveler.html
Too rich for your blood? Try this.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/shop-cranes/1-ton-webbing-sling-44847.html