Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, let him have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Any hope on switching the draft to Tuesday around 8? Or is Sunday set in stone?

Don't want to come off as a big baby whiner who needs his precious sleep.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think we already have another draft that night

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Twin Cinema posted:

Any hope on switching the draft to Tuesday around 8? Or is Sunday set in stone?

Don't want to come off as a big baby whiner who needs his precious sleep.

LSL is on tuesday

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Sent you a pm of the roster he's picking from and sent the invite, Jamwad. Kadri and Bob are ineligible but everyone else on the team is fair game.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

BMC Draft Results for anyone interested:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

What's the starting auction budget for HHL by the way?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

iirc, it's $500 minus the cost of your keepers.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
hey t-bone, I sent you a PM with his keepers, if you haven't checked yet.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Word, he's all set. Thanks!

Diet Crack posted:

$500 minus Keepers

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ok guys, I need help with my cap league

Here is what I have so far:

So last year I was very confident and finished 2nd in my league out of ~50 people. I'm a little less confident this year. I went kind of risky.

I can slot in McDavid over Monahan, and that's one of my biggest struggles right now.

The other one is which goalies to go for. Goalies are really important because it's 2 points for a win and 3 extra points for a shutout. Last year I took Price and no one else in the league did, but I'm sure most people are going to go with a Price and Dubnyk duo, as it makes the most sense budget wise. I feel as though Price might not match last year's totals, but he could also easily do better. He's not a shutout guy though. But Price and Dubnyk could be dangerous, and I can easily afford both rather than Holtby and Bishop.

What do you guys think? Take McDavid over Monahan? Keep Holtby and Bishop, or go with Price and Dubnyk?

I need to hand in my sheet by tonight and I'm worried. I know that a lot of my success depends on most of these guys either matching last year's success, or doing better. I stayed away from Pittsburgh players because I'm stubborn and don't like taking them, but I know I'll likely be burned by Crosby and Kessel picks. I'm hoping that having a well rounded team and solid goaltending will make up for it (it did last year)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
100% McDavid over Monahan. Unless McDavid is hurt he's going to outscore Monahan by 15-20 points imo. Unless you have some whacky points scoring where goals are way more important...even then I'd still probably take McDavid.

I like Bishop/Holtby over Price/Dubnyk. You may lose out a little in shutouts but Bishop/Holtby are going to win more games.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Are any teams open?
I'd love to jump into one

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's pretty simple scoring really: 1 point per goal, 1 point per assist, 2 points goalie win, 3 bonus points for shutout. There might be a point for overtime loss, I don't remember. Literally no other fancy stats

I like this type of league cause you make your team and just check up on the standings, plus the pot is big but it's winner take all and I finished second last year. I got screwed over by Voracek so I picked him this year out of spite

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think Monahan has higher upside than McDavid this year, but you've already got Gaudreau to capitalize on that. If he has a bad year, so will Monahan. I think I'd take McDavid there just to spread the risk a little. I also agree that Holbty / Bishop are a better combo than Price / Dubnyk.

You've got some very aggressive point projections on that sheet though. Really, the only ones where I don't think you're listing a best case scenario (if only by ~5-10 points) are Maata and Drouin. Maybe Lindholm.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jordan7hm posted:

I think Monahan has higher upside than McDavid this year, but you've already got Gaudreau to capitalize on that. If he has a bad year, so will Monahan. I think I'd take McDavid there just to spread the risk a little. I also agree that Holbty / Bishop are a better combo than Price / Dubnyk.

You've got some very aggressive point projections on that sheet though. Really, the only ones where I don't think you're listing a best case scenario (if only by ~5-10 points) are Maata and Drouin. Maybe Lindholm.

Point projections are from ESPN, it's the best I can find. I don't really go by them that much (I don't use them at all to construct the team, only look at them after I decided on it), it's just a way to compare from year to year as I use similar spreadsheets

I might change to a "points last season" model, even though either are ultimately useless. I did use last year's points to help me make decisions, and whatever I've seen in pre-season so far.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I think McDavid has higher upside than Monahan this year. I would 100% go for McDavid over Monahan. I'd even think about taking Eichel over Monahan.

Yes, remember to quote this even if I'm wrong.

e: To expand, McDavid's ceiling is pretty much top-10 scorer in the league this season. He plays for Edmonton, but both Crosby and Ovechkin went to teams that were arguably worse than Edmonton (well, in terms of linemates), and put up the two most exciting rookie seasons that I have ever witnessed. Even Malkin had a really good season. I understand that some people are hesitant on McDavid, but he's really close to the Crosby/Ovie/Malkin tier of rookies entering the league, so I have no issue with going all-in on him.

Monahan is a good young player, and I think he'll do well this year, but I just don't think his ceiling is as high as McDavid's in a league where goals and assists are the same amount of points.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 3, 2015

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, I'm always weary of hype but I don't think I have a choice. I initially went with Monahan because at the price, everyone is going to take McDavid so I was hoping to go with the risky move of going against the grain and picking a similarly priced younger player that has at least already proven himself. The counter to that is that if everyone else takes McDavid, it's going to ultimately be a wash and it will be up to my other players to perform while he helps me keep pace.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Only a handful of 18 year olds have scored more than .77 PPG over a 40+ game season in the modern era of the NHL, which is what Monahan put up last year with what look to be fairly sustainable numbers, and that was mostly in a higher scoring era. McDavid may well so better but history isn't on his side.

Crosby had one of, if not the best, 18 year old rookie seasons of all time. It is expecting a lot for McD to so the same.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Monahan wasn't 18 last year. That was his draft +2 season.

I could very easily see Monahan regressing to 50-55 points this year (look at Landeskog's progression) and McDavid going off for 65+. In fact that's what I'd project for them. Monahan might never score 75 (or even 70) points in the NHL. McDavid is going to hit 100 one year.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 4, 2015

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't know if you already turned in your team yet, but I agree with keeping Holtby-Bishop over Price/Dubnyk. You'll get plenty of wins even if you get maybe 4 or 5 less shutouts over the year.

As for McDavid vs Monahan, that's a really tough one, but I think I tend to agree with you and Jordan. Monahan is already a proven guy, and a 30 goal scorer. The Flames got much better as a team, although I don't know if that will actually impact his numbers at all. I really like McDavid too but if everyone's taking him it's, like you said, a wash. He's been pretty great in the preseason but he's still a rookie and while he's definitely as sure of a thing as you can get, we don't really know how well he'll adjust yet. I was really high on Drouin last year and bought into the hype and he didn't live up to it. McDavid is obviously a much better player and prospect, but I'm always a little wary of going with a rookie.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, Monahan was older than 18, that's one reason why his performance wasn't exceptional. McDavid will be 18. If he puts up that type of performance over a full season, that will be an exceptional performance. (Skinner and MacKinnon's seasons were similarly excellent.)

e: I'd take McDavid because I'm risk averse. If Monahan declines you're going to hurt with both him and Gaudreau.

e2: Landeskog had a fantastic third season in the NHL, not sure what you're talking about there. He had a bad lockout year in his second season.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 4, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Landeskog comparison being that just because a player exceeded their junior projections doesn't mean they will continue that trajectory or that their upside should be drastically reconfigured. He's a solid player in the 55-70 point range but probably won't go higher than that. The same will be true for Monahan most likely.

Whereas with McDavid his upside is incredible:

I'm not sure why we're talking about McDavid in a way that the exceptional shouldn't be expected. The opposite is true. His only recent junior comparisons are Crosby and Kane.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 4, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Yes, Monahan was older than 18, that's one reason why his performance wasn't exceptional. McDavid will be 18. If he puts up that type of performance over a full season, that will be an exceptional performance. (Skinner and MacKinnon's seasons were similarly excellent.)

One little noted fact is Ovechkin was 19 and Malkin 20 when they came into the league. So it's perhaps unfair to Mcdavid to compare him to them.

I think if his adjusted scoring rate isn't at least at or higher than Patrick Kanes rookie year then that's disappointing.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Only a handful of 18 year olds have scored more than .77 PPG over a 40+ game season in the modern era of the NHL, which is what Monahan put up last year with what look to be fairly sustainable numbers, and that was mostly in a higher scoring era. McDavid may well so better but history isn't on his side.

Crosby had one of, if not the best, 18 year old rookie seasons of all time. It is expecting a lot for McD to so the same.

McDavid is an entirely different kind of prospect.

T-Bone posted:

I'm not sure why we're talking about McDavid in a way that the exceptional shouldn't be expected. The opposite is true. His only recent junior comparisons are Crosby and Kane.

Exactly.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
If you guys had to take 2/3 of Sekera, Gardiner, and Wisniewski, which 2 would you pick? The league awards points for all the standard stuff (including +/-), and quarter-points for blocked shots and shots on goal.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
:siren: HHL keepers are set :siren:

Draft is tonight at 10pm EST

Team costs going into the draft, please let me know asap if something is hosed:

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I am going to spend so much money early it's not even funny.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

T-Bone posted:

:siren: HHL keepers are set :siren:

Draft is tonight at 10pm EST

Team costs going into the draft, please let me know asap if something is hosed:

My keepers should cost $66 instead of $95. I looked it up and it said Steve Mason costed $32 to draft on the current results, but on last season's draft results he was drafted for $2. Not sure which is right?

MagicCube posted:

Hull & Oates keepers for HHL:

Jason Pominville: $25 -> $30
Derek Stepan: $26 -> $31
Steve Mason: $2 -> $3
Mike Hoffman: $1 -> $2

drat, I had a bad team.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 4, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

MagicCube posted:

My keepers should cost $66 instead of $95. I looked it up and it said Steve Mason costed $32 to draft on the current results, but on last season's draft results he was drafted for $2. Not sure which is right?

gently caress sorry man was at beer league and missed your post...I'll give you extra money on the FAAB -- probably more than 32 really. Sorry man.

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001
Just FYI to whoever the commish of LOLHL is, we're a team short right now and it's an odd number of players. Yahoo's saying we can't draft with an odd number of players. Dunno if someone dropped out or what.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Well, the draft that would never end finally ended. I'm pretty happy with my HHL team this season. I mean, since I spent half the draft sitting on my rear end, I wasn't able to stock up too hard on top-end talent, but I was hoping to pick up a few (Backstrom, for example) and get a few guys who might be good keepers next season. I think I did pretty well on that end (I do still hate all of you for running up the prices on Barkov and Terevainen).

Goaltending could be a disaster, though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I like my HHL team. I think I will do better than 13th this year.

Centers: Plekanec ($27), Krejci ($15), Couturier ($3)
Wings: Ovechkin ($150), Kessel (K-$94), Palat (K-$3), Gaudreau (K-$6), Moulson ($7), Vrbata ($11), Pastrnak ($16), Niederreiter ($10)
Defense: Ekblad (K-$14), Wisniewski ($5), Spurgeon ($1), Zidlicky ($2), Del Zotto ($3)
Goalies: Crawford ($66), Luongo ($61)

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 5, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Really hated how well priced everything was this time around.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
My team is really top heavy and is otherwise a disaster.

1. (2) Sidney Crosby (Pit - C) $121
2. (13) Tyler Seguin (Dal - C,RW) $124
3. (31) Nathan MacKinnon (Col - C,RW) $62
4. (54) Jaroslav Halak (NYI - G) $52
5. (60) Keith Yandle (NYR - D) $41
6. (102) Jonathan Huberdeau (Fla - C,LW) $30
7. (105) Cam Ward (Car - G) $1
8. (137) Eddie Lack (Car - G) $13
9. (146) Andrej Sekera (Edm - D) $2
10. (166) Reilly Smith (Fla - LW,RW) $1
11. (167) Antoine Vermette (Ari - C,LW) $2
12. (179) Frans Nielsen (NYI - C) $1
13. (191) Travis Hamonic (NYI - D) $1
14. (202) David Savard (Cls - D) $1
15. (245) Jori Lehtera (K) (StL - C) $6
16. (246) Mark Stone (K) (Ott - RW) $2
17. (247) Sami Vatanen (K) (Anh - D) $2
18. (248) Vladimir Tarasenko (K) (StL - RW) $36

Sekera and Reilly Smith are probably going to go, I don't know for who yet.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
My team is kind of bizarre and we'll see how things work out...

C - Patrice Bergeron (Bos - C) $83, Tyler Bozak (Tor - C) $1, Mikael Granlund (Min - C) $1
LW - Joe Pavelski (SJ - C,LW) $92, Valtteri Filppula (TB - C,LW) $9, Jonathan Drouin (TB - LW) $20
RW - Marian Gaborik (LA - RW) $19, Jeff Skinner (Car - C,LW,RW) $20, Gustav Nyquist  (Det - C,LW,RW) $3
D - Mike Green (Det - D) $33, Duncan Keith (Chi - D) $44, Zdeno Chara (Bos - D) $6, Jeff Petry (Mon - D) $7, Mark Giordano  (Cgy - D) $3, Erik Karlsson  (Ott - D) $89

G - Antti Niemi (Dal - G) $10, Karri Ramo (Cgy - G) $1, Braden Holtby  (Was - G) $59

I don't think I'm completely screwed but my up front scoring is kind of poor, and I don't have any periphery stats, really... hopefully FOW and defenseman scoring can pull me through? I dunno. Goaltending is kind of sketch too, should have tried to get someone better to help Holtby.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

My loving internet wasn't working this morning so I missed the draft and got a garbage fire team :(

If anyone can trade me a starting goalie I'd be in your debt.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
if it's any consolation, watching you and the other autodrafter brought a lot of joy into our lives. you guys blew through all your money by pick 26

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

^This.

Message the sun belt team, maybe we can work something out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
FAAB should be set up now.

Pretty much had to go for hits/blocks on D because I spent everything up front and in net, but I like it. Franzen was accidental, he'll probably be dropped.

• Locked thread