Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Break THE MAN's rules and they might shut you off at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FAUXTON posted:

Break THE MAN's rules and they might shut you off at any time.

If your phone is rooted they can't tell if you are tethering. You can change your UA on your laptop browser.

Also, teh mann can't shut me off if he don't know my name.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

In Canada on cricket, able to receive/send calls/texts.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Is the galaxy grand prime thing from cricket rootable?

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
Did Verizon axe their $5 data addon option? Can't find the dang thing anywhere.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Is the galaxy grand prime thing from cricket rootable?
Yep, you have to flash a kernel via Odin. This of course trips Knox, not that anyone running that cheap rear end phone cares probably

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what Knox is.

That being said I'm just hoping to get tethering back as an option. I didn't use it often but it was helpful now and again.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone know how to go about requesting a new sim card for the same number, on Straight Talk? I have ST service but its a micro-sim that is not LTE capable. When I upgrade phones, I'm going to need an LTE nano-sim card.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone know how to go about requesting a new sim card for the same number, on Straight Talk? I have ST service but its a micro-sim that is not LTE capable. When I upgrade phones, I'm going to need an LTE nano-sim card.

You have to buy a new SIM card, which you can easily do online or at Walmart. Then there's a link in the online account where you can transfer your service to another SIM card. Do that and it should transfer over in less than one hour.

I did this to switch from a ST Tmo card to a ST AT&T card and it worked just fine and all my account credit stayed intact.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SB35 posted:

You have to buy a new SIM card, which you can easily do online or at Walmart. Then there's a link in the online account where you can transfer your service to another SIM card. Do that and it should transfer over in less than one hour.

I did this to switch from a ST Tmo card to a ST AT&T card and it worked just fine and all my account credit stayed intact.

I'll try that out, thanks!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Hey all.

Looking to get some sort of hotspot data plan for my dad's tablet. Unfortunately his tablet doesn't have a cellular modem. So... I have to either get a hotspot device or root a dirt cheap phone and enable tethering on it. Looking at plans that are dirt cheap (As he'll only need a gig most months), I see that MetroPCS has a 2GB tablet plan for $15 all included. How likely is it that I could just acquire a tablet simcard and shove it into a t-mobile hotspot (Like this one at Bestbuy)?

I could also go directly with T-mobile, but from what I'm reading on their site, their $20/mo 1GB mobile internet plan doesn't include taxes/fees, so that becomes like $26/mo or so.

Other suggestions are appreciated as well.

Thanks.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thats a really cheap plan, why don't you get it and tell us if it work on phone.

Any cheaper plan invlove getting a new phone number every month.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Thank you. Submitted this earlier this week.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

whatever7 posted:

Thats a really cheap plan, why don't you get it and tell us if it work on phone.

Any cheaper plan invlove getting a new phone number every month.

In this case would it be better that I go buy the sim card somewhere and try to activate it over the phone? website? or would they actually be helpful in store? Since they technically don't support hotspots, and I'm not sure if they do some sort of cross-check with the MEID or special SIM cards are provisioned for tablets or whatever.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 24, 2015

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Can anyone give me a cricket referral code?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Bigass Moth posted:

https://refer.cricketwireless.com/54MlPlL

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Bigass Moth posted:

https://refer.cricketwireless.com/6bKS57s

e. too slow

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Thanks for the goonerocity!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Heads up, Sprint is tweaking the plans on their Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile brands:
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015/09/boost-mobile-launches-new-plans-with.html

$30/month (with auto-pay) for 5 GB data, unlimited talk, and unlimited text is not too shabby, if you can live with having a Boost Mobile phone on the Sprint network.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm finally leaving the T-Mobile dork plan for Project Fi. Preordered a Nexus 6P via Project Fi which allows you to finance the phone. No interest charged, pay off the balance of the phone at any time. Not clear if you are allowed leave Project Fi if you have a balance on the phone, but then I don't plan to.

The main benefit for me is the access to Sprint. T-Mobile coverage is wonderful in my city, but I can't drive to the next city over (that also has wonderful T-Mobile coverage) without losing data in between. Also when I visit my hometown it has 0 T-Mobile coverage.

Also I don't use much more than 1 gig a month, so the actual cost could be the same with the addition of unlimited calling. Actually, with a better wifi chip than my current phone (Nexus 4), I could imagine my data use dropping. Would be neat to only use 500 megs and get a $5 credit on my next month.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Rastor posted:

Heads up, Sprint is tweaking the plans on their Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile brands:
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015/09/boost-mobile-launches-new-plans-with.html

$30/month (with auto-pay) for 5 GB data, unlimited talk, and unlimited text is not too shabby, if you can live with having a Boost Mobile phone on the Sprint network.
The $30 plan doesn't reach 5GB until you have 18 on-time payments. It grows by 500MB every 3 months that you pay on time.

Still, it's a very attractive plan if you can stomach being on Sprint :lol:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So it will take Sprint another 1.5 year to offer you essentually the TMo dork/walmart plan.

I am sure both Cricket and Simple Mobile will make 5gb standard by then.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

whatever7 posted:

So it will take Sprint another 1.5 year to offer you essentually the TMo dork/walmart plan.

I am sure both Cricket and Simple Mobile will make 5gb standard by then.

Well, the nice thing about prepaid is you can switch at any time? :shrug:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rastor posted:

Well, the nice thing about prepaid is you can switch at any time? :shrug:

But they know about the sunk cost fallacy when marketing this plan, so if they think retention will be increased by causing hurdles to reach parity they don't have any faith in winning on their service.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This Boost data growth thing is basically their old Shrink Plan but with data...okay then.

The Shrinkage Plans did pretty well for them (my mom's bill is currently $35/mo because of it), but I don't see how they're going to make things better with the data growth. Sprint's data is notoriously lovely so it's gonna be pretty hard to hit 2GB much less 5GB...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

I think someone grabbed this because I can't access it anymore. Can you or someone else post a Cricket referral code?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Bigass Moth posted:

I think someone grabbed this because I can't access it anymore. Can you or someone else post a Cricket referral code?

They don't expire. But there is something wrong with that link.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The Cricket referral website seems to be down.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Weird, it works now.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

SB35 posted:

They don't expire. But there is something wrong with that link.

Yeah, it appears to be the same link every time I've sent it.

Glad it's working though!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Does anyone else have major problems with group messaging using Cricket and hangouts? Roughly half of my group messages come in as undeliverable and I can sometimes redownload them individually but it only works sometimes. I've tried playing around with the APN settings but haven't had much luck. Is there a better app for MMS with a bunch of Verizon iphone users?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't use hangouts for group messages

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Saint Fu posted:

Does anyone else have major problems with group messaging using Cricket and hangouts? Roughly half of my group messages come in as undeliverable and I can sometimes redownload them individually but it only works sometimes. I've tried playing around with the APN settings but haven't had much luck. Is there a better app for MMS with a bunch of Verizon iphone users?

Can't say I've had a problem with MMS/Group messages on Cricket. I do have sms occasionally be delayed getting to me, which is pretty annoying.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RingPlus is doing some free plans for new line activations in phases over the weekend including this 1000/1000/1000 plan:
https://discourse.ringplus.net/t/future-phase-6-1000-1000-1000-the-honor-system-trials/5518
saw it here:
https://slickdeals.net/f/8142344-ri...red?v=1&src=tdw

If you've got any sprint or old enough to be unlocked prepaid sprint services devices (supposedly boost, virgin mobile, and someone on slickdeals posted repulic wireless as well) you can sign up for their plan. They charge a $10 top-up for overages on activation. I signed up a pre-owned boost mobile moto g I use for perk tv and it seems to work. RingPlus is kind of hilarious in that they play you music when you make calls instead of ringing as advertisements and stuff, but the plan seems legit so far.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 4, 2015

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Endless Mike posted:

Don't use hangouts for group messages
Is there a better app for MMS with a bunch of Verizon iphone users?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Saint Fu posted:

I use Textra but there are plenty of other options.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Saint Fu posted:

I use the Google Messenger sms/mms app. Works real good.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rexxed posted:

RingPlus is doing some free plans for new line activations in phases over the weekend including this 1000/1000/1000 plan:
https://discourse.ringplus.net/t/future-phase-6-1000-1000-1000-the-honor-system-trials/5518
saw it here:
https://slickdeals.net/f/8142344-ri...red?v=1&src=tdw

If you've got any sprint or old enough to be unlocked prepaid sprint services devices (supposedly boost, virgin mobile, and someone on slickdeals posted repulic wireless as well) you can sign up for their plan. They charge a $10 top-up for overages on activation. I signed up a pre-owned boost mobile moto g I use for perk tv and it seems to work. RingPlus is kind of hilarious in that they play you music when you make calls instead of ringing as advertisements and stuff, but the plan seems legit so far.

RingPlus is doing some kind of gimmick with their plans, every single day their website says it is a limited time offer that ends that day. Then the next day the offer magically returns.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rastor posted:

RingPlus is doing some kind of gimmick with their plans, every single day their website says it is a limited time offer that ends that day. Then the next day the offer magically returns.

Yeah it's definitely weird. It seems like the catch is that they require you to use the plan. Last post I saw about it said using the plan consisted of making 10 calls a month, so you can't just let it idle but otherwise it seems reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Most of the Boost phone should work on Ring+. I really like how easy it is to activate a phone on the website and how minimalist the website is.