Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Which #6 nib should I get? I prefer med-broad. Does goulet or one of the xfountainpen brands have the smoothest nibs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Haven't used many Pelikans. How are they, and how is the M200 in particular? I'm kinda craving the Café Crème (I'm sort of a coffee nerd :v:). I'm assuming they're full-on western nib sizing?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

teraflame posted:

Which #6 nib should I get? I prefer med-broad. Does goulet or one of the xfountainpen brands have the smoothest nibs?

Nemosine and Goulet nibs are both made by the same company in Germany, JoWo. They also make Rosetta, Levenger True Writer Select and Edison nibs. Pick whichever one looks the prettiest to you, they're all going to write about the same.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Teach posted:

Well, I pulled the moths form my wallet and picked up a new re-fill for my Namiki/Pilot Vanishing Point. It wasn't cheap - a good proportion of the cost of the pen - but it's so much better than the old (dropped, bent) nib that I was struggling with.

What's the name of this VP model? I'm huge fan of black colored nibs like the Sailor Imperial Black but I'm not familiar with the different VPs.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I don't know how you savages write with those uncircumcised pens.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

teraflame posted:

Lord Grack is absolutely right, but also note that Edison apparently puts their spare nibs through some amount of quality control based on my experience buying their #5 nibs for my TWSBIs.

The best bang for your buck will probably be xfountainpen's Nemosine nibs for $7. The 0.6 stub is pretty fantastic.

That 10%-off isellpens code is probably still live if you end up going with one of the brands he carries.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh, I agree. I think that out of that group that I listed (to which TWSBI can be added, forgot about them) Edison and Levenger are probably the best of the lot. That said, are they worth the 2x or even 3x price premium over a Nemosine nib? That's personal, obviously, but the differences are ultimately pretty minor because the Nemosine nibs are already pretty good.

Edit: Goddamn just had a bottle of Levenger Cobalt Blue show up today. This is such a nice ink. Also it hates most of my paper. The bottle is pretty awesome as well.

grack fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 1, 2015

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

I've been using a Nemosine 0.6 mm stub for the past week, and found it to be great if what you want is a thin-writing stub without the expense of a nibmeister grind/hassle of grinding it yourself.

The standard 1.0 mm Pilot Plumix italic nib is slightly too wide to consistently use with my tiny handwriting, so I've stuck a Nemosine 0.6 and 0.8 on a Jinhao x750 and x450 respectively. The 0.6 writes significantly thinner than the Plumix, while the 0.8 writes just as wide with the inks I've chosen. Both Nemosine nibs are a lot drier than I'm used to. The 0.8 wrote smooth out of the box, but I had to do a little nib smoothing on the 0.6 to get it right. After that, I ended up using the 0.6 more than any of my other pens this past week.

Definitely a good value at $7, but some personal tweaking may be required.

Re: Smoothness, I've heard if you ask them, the Goulets will inspect and test the nib for you before shipping. I've found their customer service to be just stellar in general.

But yeah, otherwise they're all JoWo nibs. Pick the company you like the most.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have two Nemosine Fissions (unless that's the cheapo plastic version, which sucks) and I really like them. One is a 0.6 stub I got as a gift, though, and while it's perfectly fine, writing with it is just... 0.6 is so thin you can barely tell it's a stub.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

Oh, I agree. I think that out of that group that I listed (to which TWSBI can be added, forgot about them) Edison and Levenger are probably the best of the lot. That said, are they worth the 2x or even 3x price premium over a Nemosine nib? That's personal, obviously, but the differences are ultimately pretty minor because the Nemosine nibs are already pretty good.

Edit: Goddamn just had a bottle of Levenger Cobalt Blue show up today. This is such a nice ink. Also it hates most of my paper. The bottle is pretty awesome as well.

I used to avoid Levenger like the plague because of how overpriced/unrealiable I found their stuff a decade ago, then I bought a used L-Tech at the D.C. pen show. I have two of them now and they are genuinely my favorite c/c pens by far.

Thank goodness that the grads that receive them as gifts have no idea how to price them on eBay.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Holy poo poo, the blunt end of my Pilot Metro works as a stylus on my Samsung smartphone.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Keetron posted:

Holy poo poo, the blunt end of my Pilot Metro works as a stylus on my Samsung smartphone.

It's because the Metro is a brass-bodied pen and conducts the capacitance charge of your hand very well. Be careful that you don't inadvertently scratch the poo poo out of your screen, though. Styluses usually have those rubber tips for a reason. The metal of the pen body is still harder than the glass of your screen.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there a pen pen thread? One of my coworkers gave me one of those pens that have some company's names on it. I never thought anything of it until I happened to use it one day and it is the best thing I have ever written with. More so than my normal go-to Jetstream pen and Pilot G2 gel pen. Needless to say I am in need to try and figure out if there is some other replacement pen that writes like it I could get my hands on.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Etrips posted:

Is there a pen pen thread? One of my coworkers gave me one of those pens that have some company's names on it. I never thought anything of it until I happened to use it one day and it is the best thing I have ever written with. More so than my normal go-to Jetstream pen and Pilot G2 gel pen. Needless to say I am in need to try and figure out if there is some other replacement pen that writes like it I could get my hands on.

Post it up a lot of FP makers also put ballpoint bits in their bodies.

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
So I ended up placing an order for a second Pilot Metro today, this time with a Medium nib instead of the Fine I already have. I fell in love with the blue-black I bought for my friend for his birthday, but it played poorly with basically every paper I tried to write on. So instead, I picked up the Goulet sampler pack of blue-blacks to run through the gamut.

Luckily the Metro's are cheap enough that I don't feel so bad about starting this hobby, and since I write things all day every day at least they're something I get a lot of use out of.

Curse the person who told me I'd want a pen for greens and one for reds later on down the line though. I can already feel the itch since I usually do a Christmas letter for all my family each year and I use different colored pens to give it the seasonal flair. Gonna end up having more pens than I know what to do with.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

tater_salad posted:

Post it up a lot of FP makers also put ballpoint bits in their bodies.

Unfortunately I do not see any type of markings on the pen other than "CHINA".

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Alright not quite what I was expecting.
This looks like a standard click promo pen.. 1000000s of these exist so it's not really identifiable.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Wolfen posted:

So I ended up placing an order for a second Pilot Metro today, this time with a Medium nib instead of the Fine I already have. I fell in love with the blue-black I bought for my friend for his birthday, but it played poorly with basically every paper I tried to write on. So instead, I picked up the Goulet sampler pack of blue-blacks to run through the gamut.

Luckily the Metro's are cheap enough that I don't feel so bad about starting this hobby, and since I write things all day every day at least they're something I get a lot of use out of.

Curse the person who told me I'd want a pen for greens and one for reds later on down the line though. I can already feel the itch since I usually do a Christmas letter for all my family each year and I use different colored pens to give it the seasonal flair. Gonna end up having more pens than I know what to do with.

Check put jinhao pens on amazon. Super cheap and usually reliable.. if you get a bad one you can stick an xFountainPens.com nib in it for 6 bucks and you have a decent pen for about 9bucks. Also xfp has good cheap inks and an order of 15bux usually ships free.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Etrips posted:

Unfortunately I do not see any type of markings on the pen other than "CHINA".

Looks like a G2 knockoff.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

pienipple posted:

Looks like a G2 knockoff.

What is weird is it writes smoother than a G2, and since it isn't gel it doesn't smear at all which is a huge plus.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Etrips posted:

What is weird is it writes smoother than a G2, and since it isn't gel it doesn't smear at all which is a huge plus.

It appears to be gel though, or at least I've never seen non gel refills with that clear gel atop the ink.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

pienipple posted:

It appears to be gel though, or at least I've never seen non gel refills with that clear gel atop the ink.

Ah well then, I stand corrected.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Go buy a pack of Uni-ball Signos if you can tolerate gel or Jetstreams if you can't. My experience is that the Signo is a bit smoother than the G2, but I don't really use biros or their derivatives much anymore.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

404notfound posted:

Haven't used many Pelikans. How are they, and how is the M200 in particular? I'm kinda craving the Café Crème (I'm sort of a coffee nerd :v:). I'm assuming they're full-on western nib sizing?

They're nice pens but they are somewhat light and the resin isn't quite as nice as the Sovereigns. Yes, they do share Western nibs sizing but are smooth writers imho.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

pienipple posted:

I'd just try out a ton of refills in a nice pen till you find one that's satisfactory. Schmidt Mine 888s are the most common standard size high quality rollerball refill and might be a good place to start. Monteverde also has decent refills with nice colours which might be worth a try. I suppose makers of super-expensive rollerballs (i.e. the big fountain pen makers) probably also produce nice refills, but tend to use non-standard sizes.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 2, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Alder posted:

They're nice pens but they are somewhat light and the resin isn't quite as nice as the Sovereigns. Yes, they do share Western nibs sizing but are smooth writers imho.

You can swap in M400/M600 nibs if you feel like it though so you get extra color variety for gold nibbed pens, and all Pelikan pens except the M800/M1000 are light-ish due to all-plastic construction. The steel M200 nibs are very nice though since they tend to be a bit springier than M400 gold nibs.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 2, 2015

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah M200 is a solid pen. I've had mine for probably at least a decade now and it's still one of my favorite pens.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Noctone posted:

Yeah M200 is a solid pen. I've had mine for probably at least a decade now and it's still one of my favorite pens.

Yeah, i have an M600 and holy poo poo is it pretty. The gold trim with the blue stripes and two toned nib? drat.

Prof. Ann Mary Ann
Mar 13, 2008

♫  He’s a hypnotist,
   hypnotist of ladies  ♫

Etrips posted:

You might like the Pilot Juice gel pens. They are basically a better G2 in more colors. I get them from jetpens.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, i have an M600 and holy poo poo is it pretty. The gold trim with the blue stripes and two toned nib? drat.

How big does that feel in the hand? I really want a giant fatty pen for my day to day pen, something as big around as a Dr Grip would be perfect.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ropes4u posted:

How big does that feel in the hand? I really want a giant fatty pen for my day to day pen, something as big around as a Dr Grip would be perfect.

The M600 is relatively svelte, the section (.4" diameter) isn't all that much thicker than a uni-ball vision needlepoint. If you want a fat Pelikan the M800 or M1000 is your jam.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

howe_sam posted:

The M600 is relatively svelte, the section (.4" diameter) isn't all that much thicker than a uni-ball vision needlepoint. If you want a fat Pelikan the M800 or M1000 is your jam.

My wife would cut my head off if I dropped that kind of cash on a pen right now. Might have I look for other options.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

If you want a fat writer's pen, $250-300 will get you a perfectly good restored PFM. It's a big, thick pen with an inlaid nib and is equipped with Sheaffer's snorkel filling system. Sheaffer's PdAg nibs, like those on the PFM I and II, are easily the best writing nibs I've encountered, being incredibly rigid and smooth. It doesn't hold a ton of ink, but the snorkel makes it clean/easy to refill with the added bonus of looking pretty drat cool when you do so. Of course, this is a vintage pen that was only manufactured for a few years, so I wouldn't let it bang around in your pocket or drop it, and I definitely wouldn't count on parts being plentiful outside of the madness that is the D.C. pen show.

You could also score a massive Indian ebonite/acrylic pen. The nicer ones use Jowo/Bock nib units, which really helps with the burping problem that basically defines Indian eyedroppers. Peyton Street Pens sells a handful of Ranga pens with vintage nibs, including including Waterman/Eversharp flex nibs and Sheaffer inlaid units. I have an Asa something-or-other with a half-inch thick section and a Nemosine nib that's pretty good. I could probably use it as a club if I had to.

I think some of the mass-manufactured Edisons are pretty thick as well, but $150+ is an awful lot for a steel-nibbed pen without anything special about it beyond being pretty and coming with a nib tuned by a guy that's aggressively wrong about a lot of stupid pen stuff.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

My Man Shran posted:

If you want a fat writer's pen, $250-300 will get you a perfectly good restored PFM. It's a big, thick pen with an inlaid nib and is equipped with Sheaffer's snorkel filling system. Sheaffer's PdAg nibs, like those on the PFM I and II, are easily the best writing nibs I've encountered, being incredibly rigid and smooth. It doesn't hold a ton of ink, but the snorkel makes it clean/easy to refill with the added bonus of looking pretty drat cool when you do so. Of course, this is a vintage pen that was only manufactured for a few years, so I wouldn't let it bang around in your pocket or drop it, and I definitely wouldn't count on parts being plentiful outside of the madness that is the D.C. pen show.

You could also score a massive Indian ebonite/acrylic pen. The nicer ones use Jowo/Bock nib units, which really helps with the burping problem that basically defines Indian eyedroppers. Peyton Street Pens sells a handful of Ranga pens with vintage nibs, including including Waterman/Eversharp flex nibs and Sheaffer inlaid units. I have an Asa something-or-other with a half-inch thick section and a Nemosine nib that's pretty good. I could probably use it as a club if I had to.

I think some of the mass-manufactured Edisons are pretty thick as well, but $150+ is an awful lot for a steel-nibbed pen without anything special about it beyond being pretty and coming with a nib tuned by a guy that's aggressively wrong about a lot of stupid pen stuff.

He tunes the nibs pretty good though. I'd second the big fat Indian pens; you can get several of Gama's massive eyedroppers from Fountain Pen Revolution in the $45 range.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Alder posted:

What's the name of this VP model? I'm huge fan of black colored nibs like the Sailor Imperial Black but I'm not familiar with the different VPs.

Sorry for the late reply, but the nib unit came from an eBay seller called streetfair - they were fine, even refunded me a little bit of postage when I over-paid. I picked up a python Metro, too, because.

The nib was described as Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point Nib/Neck/Converter Set, 18k, Black, Medium, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at the blackness. The pen was also eBay, but years ago. Just search Vanishing Point black, and there you go. Mine was matt, but has rubbed smooth in my pocket.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Magnus Praeda posted:

It's because the Metro is a brass-bodied pen and conducts the capacitance charge of your hand very well. Be careful that you don't inadvertently scratch the poo poo out of your screen, though. Styluses usually have those rubber tips for a reason. The metal of the pen body is still harder than the glass of your screen.

So that is why they have a nice warm feel. I understand the title of this thread more and more and would like more pen recommendations in the 20~30 euro/dollar range/

As a sidenote, my daughter got a replacement Lamy Safari as the first one leaked like a bitch but what is that poo poo, this one went to hell as well. There are huge ink stains on her jeans that will not come out and her fingers looked like she murdered a bunch of smurfs. So there we went again, remove the Lamy cartridge, flush everything under a lukewarm stream of water and try to disassemble the pen. Turns out there was a big crack in the cartridge and yes, that will cause a pen to leak. So I asked her how she put it in. She puts the cartridge in the lower end, hold it horizontally and screw on the top end. She did the same with the other pen.
After cleaning everything up, I put in the converter carefully and filled it with Diamine Blue Black 150yr. We'll see if this works and how long, it is a small amount of ink that goes in it and she is so happy with the color.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That is literally exactly what I said was wrong with your daughter's pen the first time around - a cracked cartridge. Did you not bother to check before you had it replaced?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Teach posted:

Sorry for the late reply, but the nib unit came from an eBay seller called streetfair - they were fine, even refunded me a little bit of postage when I over-paid. I picked up a python Metro, too, because.

The nib was described as Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point Nib/Neck/Converter Set, 18k, Black, Medium, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at the blackness. The pen was also eBay, but years ago. Just search Vanishing Point black, and there you go. Mine was matt, but has rubbed smooth in my pocket.

Thanks, how do you like the VP? I tested one for a few min but I keep seeing them all over the place :v:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Here's an eBay seller that makes me physically angry.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Back-to-OLD-School-1953-Parker-Vintage-Mechanical-Pencil-StEaMpUnK-BuCk-RoGeRs-/291582289830?hash=item43e3a8a7a6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Back-to-kOoL-OLD-School-1937-Parker-Parkette-Mechanical-Pencil-StEaMpUnK-sTyLe-/301759791404?hash=item464249012c

BuCk RoGeRs sT3aMpUnK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I mean those aren't horrible prices for those pens but goddamn.