Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Thanks I couldn't think of any and I've only really bought DayZ and it didn't exactly turn out. Those are all really good examples and I didn't know they were crowdfunded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

She just wants to see Wulf cry.

Who doesn't?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
All of this dropping right before CitCon is magical. I'll be curious how much of this controversy is the elephant in the room or if Roberts & Co. double-down and try to assuage the crowd ("Look at all these happy employees! Look at this in-game footage! How can this be a con when we can do this!" etc.)If they don't address it at all or only with a token comment or two, I think that only proves their guilt. People often over-function to hide obvious flaws and despite their "working harder," all they end up doing is spin their wheels.

While there will never be proof enough to discourage the faithful, I'm curious what, if anything, Roberts could show on Saturday to change the minds of those here toward optimism for the project. I believe the burden of proof is astronomically high but what would you have to see to say to yourself, "Holy poo poo, maybe there is a game here"?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Star Citizen: Literally Motherfuckers

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Szcwczuk posted:

Thanks I couldn't think of any and I've only really bought DayZ and it didn't exactly turn out. Those are all really good examples and I didn't know they were crowdfunded.

There was also Wasteland 2 and Elite Dangerous, which some people liked others didn't but its w/e they came out and were pretty much what people wanted and didn't cost the same amount of money it took India to launch a rocket into space.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/18/business/international/from-india-proof-that-a-trip-to-mars-doesnt-have-to-break-the-bank.html?_r=0

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Szcwczuk posted:

Are there any examples of games that were crowdfunded, kick started or on green light that have come out feature complete to the letter of their initial advertisement?

Besides the others mentioned, Xenonauts, and Strike Suit Zero for better or worse

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Shala posted:

I thought you were making some poo poo up.

I don't know what's real anymore man.
Read through my recent posts-- there's a transcript of her description of their fateful meeting. It is very strange but partly because she doesn't want to acknowledge that they got married.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Is Motherfuckers a hard word to use?

Bolow posted:

Besides the others mentioned, Xenonauts, and Strike Suit Zero for better or worse

I kinda like Strike Suit Zero, though I do find it a little hard to control at times.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

They literally hosed their own mothers, I know it's a hard concept to swallow, but that's exactly what their mothers did: swallow!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Shala posted:

It has parallels. Just listen to people who got swindled in Ponzi schemes talk though, especially about how they acted and talked around the collapse of the scheme. They sound literally like a lot of these guys right now. I watch a lot of American Greed, and no poo poo half of the people on there sound like the faithful SC backers.

It's not just ponzi schemes either, a lot of populist political figures prey on the same type of behavior.

Eric Hoffer's the True Believer offers a lot of insight into this, it's ultimately because selling hopes and dreams of a world which is going to be unrealistically Utopian sounds better to people who sees little worth in their own life than somebody who offers a realistic improvement over what they have. And once they bought the dream, they are going to defend it to the death, sometimes literally.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Strike Suit Zero does have a good as hell soundtrack at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TQa2AYadrg

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Onmi posted:

Is Motherfuckers a hard word to use?
Literally seems to be a hard word to use for them.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Bolow posted:

Strike Suit Zero does have a good as hell soundtrack at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TQa2AYadrg

Getting Paul Ruskay (of Homeworld fame) will do that. I liked SSZ quite a lot on release, and the director's cut did a lot to iron out some of the weirder issues with the game.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

I would much rather be out $1500 than be so woefully incompetent as to suggest that you need to physically call up Google in order to start a new VM any day.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I fear a renewal for season 3 is highly unlikely.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

There is a part of Raskolnikov's friends' logs that, if approved and shown itt, will forever make Wulf cry like a bitch whenever anyone brings it up with him. And they will, even if in sympathy and inadvertently rubbing salt upon his wounds.

But still plenty of time for that later, I suppose.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rick and Morty taught me corncobs are bad last night

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Eonwe posted:

Rick and Morty taught me corncobs are bad last night

Then again...it could be this (which is remarkably exactly like the whole Star Citizen situation right now).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6d5j3qrss

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 6, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

drat Dirty Ape posted:

He's also a nudist hth

That's the least of it. Is he handcuffing that gently caress doll or something? That picture's like a fractal :gonk:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
KSP was a more fun game on Day 1 than the whole of SC till date.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
So what kind of liability is Cloud Imperium Games on the line for here? I read they are threatening a lawsuit against The Escapist.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yay new thread title best title.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yay new thread title best title.

:golfclap:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Szcwczuk posted:

So what kind of liability is Cloud Imperium Games on the line for here? I read they are threatening a lawsuit against The Escapist.

Nothing is going to come of this.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Decrepus posted:

I wonder what wage Chairman Roberts pays himself and his wife. I wonder if that is the type of thing that the royal Mom and Dad watching the finances wouldn't be happy with.
It was alleged that their collective salaries were over a million. How the source leaking this info would know that is unclear-- unless one of the leakers in CIG accounting (or Sandi or Chris openly talk about their salaries, which seems pretty hard to imagine...)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Nothing is going to come of this.

Not even a game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Do you guys want to harvest a lot of tears in a real game, soon? Like, with goons who already know the game and want to teach you and want to help everyone harvest the maximal amount of tears?

Join us for Albion. The combat isn't amazing, but the community is hilariously thin skinned and we have had a lot of fun so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuzC5GKpEIc

Thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727351

Beta starts in November, runs through till launch.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

cool thread title

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

It was alleged that their collective salaries were over a million. How the source leaking this info would know that is unclear-- unless one of the leakers in CIG accounting (or Sandi or Chris openly talk about their salaries, which seems pretty hard to imagine...)

It doesn't matter anyway. The cultists will justify it by saying Christ Roberts is the gaming wunderkind and deserves whatever pay he sees fit for his holyness and we should all be licking his boots for he bestows unto us gods gift to gamers.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you count "released by the delivery date given during the kickstarter" as part of the promises, probably none of them. They all miss the schedule / are over-optimistic about how quickly they can knock something out. If you give a ~1 year grace period on being finished, there are tons that delivered on all the promised features.

Unfunny Poster posted:

There was also Wasteland 2 and Elite Dangerous, which some people liked others didn't but its w/e they came out and were pretty much what people wanted and didn't cost the same amount of money it took India to launch a rocket into space.
Elite Dangerous didn't make good on their promises at all -- they had to give refunds over it (the kickstarter promised offline solo play).

Broken Age / Doublefine Adventure lived up to the promises made on the kickstarter (which were super modest). Some people were disappointed with the major schedule slip and the ending but it was a complete adventure game.

In the same vein, Planetary Annihilation technically did everything it promised but wasn't as good as people were hoping for.

The Banner Saga, Shovel Knight, Risk of Rain, Octodad 2, and Divinity Original Sin were all kickstarters and are all good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bootcha posted:

Well, the entertainment WILL get better.

edit:

Justin Tyme posted:

What's beautiful is only months ago I remember this thread's guarded pessimism, like "well, these presentations look nice, but they really need to start releasing content, otherwise people are going to start to get discontent". Well, look where we are now :v:

dont worry there are still 2-3 true believers here :patriot:

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Read through my recent posts-- there's a transcript of her description of their fateful meeting. It is very strange but partly because she doesn't want to acknowledge that they got married.

I don't want to go back and listen, but I think she told that story when she came on my show back in what I like to call "the day."

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Szcwczuk posted:

Are there any examples of games that were crowdfunded, kick started or on green light that have come out feature complete to the letter of their initial advertisement?

Also Pillars of Eternity, which was a ton of fun to play through. An expansion (part of pledging add-ons) just hit as well.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Szcwczuk posted:

FTL, Interstellaria are another couple of spaceship games which did exactly what the kickstarter promised.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Conspiracy of Fools posted:

The next morning, Skilling stared down at a triangular Polycom speakerphone, anger rising in his voice.

“Enron is not a black box,” he growled. “It’s very simple to model.” As Palmer watched, Skilling delivered his personal treatise on Enron as a moneymaker. It was a logistics company, he said, moving commodities through the infrastructure to customers for the lowest possible price. Mark-to-market accounting created more earnings than cash, he said, but Enron just sold slices of its trading position in prepay transactions. And the off-balance-sheet debt was meaningless, since it mostly related to international and was not money Enron was obligated to repay.

As she listened, McLean grew concerned. Skilling’s response was so vehement, she feared she might be mistaken. Was there something she was missing?

Finally, Skilling had enough. “I see where you’re going with this,” he said.

Writing this article was unethical, he said; McLean didn’t understand Enron. She needed to sit down with its accounting and finance experts, he said, and learn about the reality of the company.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Eonwe posted:

Do you guys want to harvest a lot of tears in a real game, soon? Like, with goons who already know the game and want to teach you and want to help everyone harvest the maximal amount of tears?

Join us for Albion. The combat isn't amazing, but the community is hilariously thin skinned and we have had a lot of fun so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuzC5GKpEIc

Thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727351

Beta starts in November, runs through till launch.

This is very tempting.

bres0048
Oct 29, 2012

Hopper posted:

Well, if I was you, I would definitely NOT partake of the kool-aid or any other drink I am offered at a cult meeting.

dont get the black nikes either

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CashEnsign posted:

This is very tempting.

you should, we've had a lot of fun in the last two alphas

its $30 to get in to the next beta

didn't you guys all get more than that?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Eonwe posted:

Can I roleplay as an iconic American figure in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the reddit faithful are getting a little shakey
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3nn26d/sigh_escapist_are_not_backing_down_and_intend_to/?sort=old&limit=500

quote:

Did anyone really expect them to apologize? News publications don't retract stories based on a denial from the target. Absent proof that their source lied, I'd expect them to stand by the author.

quote:

(Honestly) If I wasn't a backer I would probably be laughing at all the people I though got suckered into SC. Honestly CIG will never be able to prove to everyone that these allegations are completely false unless they win a libel case against the Escapist, which I doubt can be done.

quote:

I think they get to decide what's a news story... and they'll have something new. Threatening the press rarely works out unless you're very very wealthy or very very brutal or both. This was a tactical mistake and these folks are gonna double down because they smell blood in the water.

Interesting because I haven't seen a single post like this not get immediately downvoted into oblivion or ignored, whereas people are actually discussing it now and theres like 2-5% of people who are concerned at the allegations rather than 0.

• Locked thread